PUBLIC TRANSPORT | Projects + News + Gallery - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > KiwiScrapers > Local Forums > Wellington

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #1
Moveax

Likes (Received): 0

PUBLIC TRANSPORT | Projects + News + Gallery

Seeing as there is an auckland transport discussion thread, why not have a wellington one too. I've been doing research about motorways in the wellington region. So to get started:

Everyone seems to get pissed off about shitty roads so heres your chance to speak out against some half-assery.

As part of the Regional Land Transport Strategy ( http://gw.govt.nz/section2372.cfm? ) Included is this:

Quote:
Allowance for the development of a traffic flow system for the
Terrace Tunnel to accommodate the direction of peak flows.
What it means is that they want to change the direction of one lane during peak times so that in the morning its 2 lanes south 1 north and in the afternoon 2 north and one south using either a movable median barrier (like on the auckland harbour bridge) or electronic signage to indicate which lane goes what way.

You'd think this was a good solution; it provides the same capacity and is $50 million cheaper - until you read this:

(these are from the canned tunnel link motorway project, and instead we got the Inner City Half-ass, tunnel duplication is still considered seperate from that)

So any kind of median barrier, movable or not is considered dangerous because there is not enough room (also imagine the huge moveable lane barrier machine driving through the narrow tunnel at 6km/h with traffic passing at 100km/h either side of it) .
The only other way to let people know which lane they can go in is by electronic sign. Not a good idea, as far as I know initially the auckland harbour bridge was controlled by just electronic signs and after some fatal head on crashes the movable median barrier was put in place to prevent that.

What YOU can do about it is make a submission (click the link to find out how, theres still time) and let them know that they should can this half assed dangerous piece of garbage and do it right - duplicate the tunnel. The tunnel link book I got those quotes from has a nice big transit nz logo on it, so I think that should carry some weight.
Moveax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #2
Stan
NZ

Likes (Received): 8

Catch train everyday and study at Railway station every day/all day.
So I'm your expert on TranzMetro

Will take pics today at uni/railway station.
Stan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #3
wellurban

The other way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moveax View Post
they should can this half assed dangerous piece of garbage and do it right - duplicate the tunnel.
What's better than half-assed? Not fully-assed, but no ass at all! Take the money they would be throwing at the tunnel, and invest it in public transport instead.

The big problem with the Regional Land Transport Strategy is not that it doesn't spend enough on roads, but too much. At a time when climate change and peak oil are finally coming into public consciousness, the strategy plans to invest 90% of its spending on new capacity on roads, not public transport. If we're going to spend money on the tunnel to reduce congestion there, then the answer's simple: put up a toll booth!
wellurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #4
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellurban View Post
What's better than half-assed? Not fully-assed, but no ass at all! Take the money they would be throwing at the tunnel, and invest it in public transport instead.

The big problem with the Regional Land Transport Strategy is not that it doesn't spend enough on roads, but too much. At a time when climate change and peak oil are finally coming into public consciousness, the strategy plans to invest 90% of its spending on new capacity on roads, not public transport. If we're going to spend money on the tunnel to reduce congestion there, then the answer's simple: put up a toll booth!
An example of variable lane electronic signage still exists in Auckland - Old Pakuranga bridge between Panmure and Pakuranga. Though the speed limit is 50 or 60 km/h not 100!
Kane007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:17 AM   #5
Stan
NZ

Likes (Received): 8

Wellington Railway station

New supermarket (1st of it's type in NZ), quite nice, and bigger then it looks.

Counting Pigeons

A hunk for Enigma and Mark, plus a few others. Hes in a pic above too.

Abit of a war zone at the moment...

Entrance to one of my unis buildings, takes about half of the whole station surprisingly. Top right is a tutorial room window.

Pedestrian Underpass, the pub is to the right. Cought some girls running too.

This place it's going to look smooth soon! My second home
Much better then it was before.

I love studying there, next uni building is a “skyscraper”(quite tall too), there is even pedestrian underpass to my other building and lot’s of sexy trains plus an old school pub with great food.

I’m in heaven.
Stan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #6
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Looking good. Marvelous what our tax dollars can accomplish.
Old January 10th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #7
deepred

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Wellington Railway station
I love studying there, next uni building is a “skyscraper”(quite tall too), there is even pedestrian underpass to my other building and lot’s of sexy trains plus an old school pub with great food.

I’m in heaven.
New trains coming onstream in the next 2-4 years, too.
deepred no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #8
deepred

From the DomPost:

$40m boost for Wellington passenger rail
NZPA | Friday, 9 February 2007

Wellington's passenger rail services are to be given a $40 million boost.

The Land Transport NZ (LTNZ) Board has approved $40m in funding for the purchase 12 additional Electrical Multiple Units (EMUs) to boost passenger rail capacity in Wellington.

LTNZ central partnership manager Ian Hunter said the funding was in addition to $145.6m approved in December for the purchase by Greater Wellington Regional Council (GWRC) of 58 new EMUs for the suburban rail network.

"The combination of higher petrol prices and increasing traffic congestion between Wellington and Kapiti has lead to a sharp increase in demand for passenger rail – patronage growth averaged 2.5 per cent over the past five years, but peaked at nearly 9 per cent over the past year," Mr Hunter said.

GWRC is investigating ways of responding to patronage growth in the short term, as the new rolling stock may not be available until 2009/10.
Old February 9th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #9
Moveax

I think its 6 2 carriage units, not 12. So there will be a total of 12 actual carriages but they come attached as pairs.
Old February 16th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #10
Moveax

http://www.stuff.co.nz/3963535a11.html

Temporary use of museum trains + bringing back into service 3 carriages. Considering that the ones from the museum are a two car set they will most likely be used on the johnsonville or melling line. The other set, a 3 car set, is probably with trailing carriages either end with controls in them with a motor one in the middle with no controls. This one will probably be used on either that paraparaumu line or the hutt line.

Personally I think sue kedgley is going a bit nuts over this. There are already many of these trains of this type in service - the only reason this is being done is because this is the only thing that can for now. There are new electric multiple units on the way but they're going to take until 2010 to be built and get here.
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #11
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moveax View Post
http://www.stuff.co.nz/3963535a11.html

Temporary use of museum trains + bringing back into service 3 carriages. Considering that the ones from the museum are a two car set they will most likely be used on the johnsonville or melling line. The other set, a 3 car set, is probably with trailing carriages either end with controls in them with a motor one in the middle with no controls. This one will probably be used on either that paraparaumu line or the hutt line.

Personally I think sue kedgley is going a bit nuts over this. There are already many of these trains of this type in service - the only reason this is being done is because this is the only thing that can for now. There are new electric multiple units on the way but they're going to take until 2010 to be built and get here.
This was reported in the CHC Press yesterday. The two trains are in the collection at Ferrymead Historic Park - man they look old. I hope they don't use them for two long, they may fall apart

Hey I think it's great Wellington is taking its urban rail network seriously

Bob Parker is a keen advocate of a light railnet work for CHC, but we have a LONG way to go...........

"Fide Condita, Fructu Beata, Spe Fortis"
"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Davee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #12
Ssom

Hrm, this new NW in the train station makes the Commerce student in me very happy .
Ssom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #13
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Welcome aboard Ssom. Another Wellington contributor?

As the most venerable D Lange would say..."Stupid, I can smell the hydrocarbons on your breath from over here!"
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #14
Ssom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane007 View Post
Welcome aboard Ssom. Another Wellington contributor?
Well as of Monday anyway. :p

At this point I'm resident in Auckland, all I have to contribute at the mo is some ariel photos of current progress on the old Jean Batten site (Taken from my old workplace in the Citibank center, which I'll upload tomorrow).
Ssom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #15
flyin_higher
Kiwi Contributor

Likes (Received): 1430

Nice to have you around ssom

Hey those pics of yours stan, above, of the wgtn railway station, are great, I must have missed them before. The new station floors and upgrades look good!

Tāmaki Makaurau
flyin_higher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #16
deepred

From the DomPost

$200m to ease Wellington rail misery
By ADAM RAY - The Dominion Post | Tuesday, 20 March 2007

A $200 miilion plan to revamp Wellington's rail network could have passengers riding new trains on new tracks by 2010.

The proposal to build more tracks and increase upgrading would dramatically reduce delays on the aging network and allow more trains to run at peak times. It has had early support from the Government's transport funding agency.

Government rail operator Ontrack and Greater Wellington regional council are working on a list of urgent rail projects, including improvements to the Johnsonville line and double-tracking north of Pukerua Bay to allow trains to run every 15 minutes.

"We have to be ballsy and say it's got to be done," Ontrack adviser David Gordon told a regional council transport hearing yesterday.

Work could start as early as next summer, with the aim of completing it before a fleet of 70 new electric trains starts operating in 2010.

Replacement work on tracks and signalling would also be stepped up and the plan would be decided in the next few months before being presented to the Government for funding.

Government funding agency Land Transport New Zealand yesterday welcomed the plans. "By and large we would be fully supportive of the rail upgrade improvements," said central partnership manager Ian Hunter.

A spokesman for Finance Minister Michael Cullen said it would be examined.

Ontrack chief executive David George said Wellington's rail network was fragile, much of it dating from the 1950s and 1960s, and had seen little investment in the past 15 years.

"The result is that parts of it - particularly the western corridor between Wellington and Paraparaumu - are notoriously unreliable."

Greater Wellington passenger transport committee chairman Glen Evans said the upgrades would reduce the main source of frustration for passengers. "The unreliability is what everyone is talking about."

The improvements needed to be in place before the new electric trains arrived and rail freight would also benefit from upgrades, he said.

Mr George said the total cost of the plan would be about $200 million, but each project could be looked at separately to get funding.

The unveiling of the plan came on a day when passengers suffered delays from a signal fault in the morning and reduced capacity on some afternoon services because of shortage of rolling stock.

Kapiti Transport Action Group spokeswoman Lyndy McIntyre said commuters were desperate for action to improve the rail network. "These aren't just wish-list issues, they are absolutely essential to have an efficient and effective rail network."

Green MP Sue Kedgley said Ontrack had made it clear the network needed urgent improvement and the Government should pay for it.
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #17
flyin_higher
Kiwi Contributor

Likes (Received): 1430

Great news!! Go Wellington

Tāmaki Makaurau
flyin_higher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #18
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

I foresee ....

Auckland getting the nod to go electric very soon and then getting Wellington's old electric trains.

As the most venerable D Lange would say..."Stupid, I can smell the hydrocarbons on your breath from over here!"
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:40 PM   #19
Moveax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane007 View Post
I foresee ....

Auckland getting the nod to go electric very soon and then getting Wellington's old electric trains.
I don't think you will getting hand-me-downs again somehow. Wellington will keep its existing electrics (not the 50's ones they're going out the door but the newer ones) but they will go through a more extensive refurbishing than the first time round, I think probably like Auckland's hand-me-down diesels got refurbished with new front ends etc.
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:49 PM   #20
aucklandman
Ben

I dont think that Auckland will get hand-me-dows in terms of electric trains, the new nice ones will be converted.

To be honest, I dont think there is anything at all wrong with the ones in Auckland ATM, im not talking about the engine though

Auckland Motorways: www.aucklandmotorways.co.nz | www.traffic.aucklandmotorways.co.nz
aucklandman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement