Brisbane Public Transport - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Archives


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 3rd, 2007, 02:37 AM   #1
SEQ92
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,316
Likes (Received): 4

Brisbane Public Transport

Ok because there are all these crappy Melbourne and Sydney threads everywhere, lets make one for Brisbaneites.

How does everyone like BT? I find them OK. The new 109 service seems packed.

What do ya think?
SEQ92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:03 AM   #2
SM247
Citadis Rider
 
SM247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 748
Likes (Received): 0

Too many buses with worn out transmissions, rattly bodies, fuming engines. The SL200s have not aged well, and although I like the Metroliner layout, the construction quality seems poorer and poorer every time I am up there. B10Ls are rubbish, Scanias are underpowered.

I also wish they would stop using 7-segment route numerals, they are not as legible as LEDs from a distance or at night, and combined with the LED displays on the MANs it looks cheap. They need full side destos.

On the plus side - excellent new CNG buses, particularly the MAN CNG buses with 310 hp engines - good power levels, great air con, solidly built. BUZ routes are good, but more are needed, as is more cross-town capacity. Shelters are also good generally.

I would also suggest that their timetables and stop signs should be reformatted into the new TransLink type as they are easier to read.
SM247 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:17 AM   #3
SEQ92
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,316
Likes (Received): 4

They need to modernise some of their bus stops. Some of the shelters have poor lighting, and were probably put there in the 1980's.

By the way, I was in the most shakiest butterbox I'd ever been in yesterday.
SEQ92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 3rd, 2007, 05:07 AM   #4
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city
 
Fabian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 40,696

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinimick View Post
Ok because there are all these crappy Melbourne and Sydney threads everywhere, lets make one for Brisbaneites.

How does everyone like BT? I find them OK. The new 109 service seems packed.

What do ya think?
From a visitors perspective, it's excellent and cheap compared to its southern counterparts. Very reilable as well.

One of my favourite PT networks in Australia. Well done Brisbane
__________________
Find out why Sydney has become the city that it is today:

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 10:15 AM   #5
BrizzyChris
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7,934
Likes (Received): 1255

Not sure if this thread needs to exist. There are plenty of project specific ones around.
BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 10:45 AM   #6
Arnzy
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 659
Likes (Received): 0

Theres already a TransLink specific thread on this board down the pages somewhere.
Arnzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #7
Brissy_Lad
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 435
Likes (Received): 0

BT have been going down the crapper like almost all of the public trans in Brisbane, good article in the Sunday mail highlighting mostly trains, but people who have a train line shouldn't complain, at least they have one, I used to rely on BT everyday until the drivers got crabbier, passengers got annoying and abusive, students take up half the back of the bus, they don't stand for adults, and the drivers do nothing about it, routes are too long (ie not enough rocket or bullet services), getting on par with running a car week to week on costs, still require alot more of those digital signs to tell us if a service has been cancelled or delayed, buses are full of mozzies most mornings, most of them also leak when raining or the A/C overflow leaks inside the cabin, seats on the new buses are far to uncomfortable for more than 30mins, I can go on......
Brissy_Lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 02:59 AM   #8
l_blue_l
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 261
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brissy_Lad View Post
BT have been going down the crapper like almost all of the public trans in Brisbane, good article in the Sunday mail highlighting mostly trains, but people who have a train line shouldn't complain, at least they have one, I used to rely on BT everyday until the drivers got crabbier, passengers got annoying and abusive, students take up half the back of the bus, they don't stand for adults, and the drivers do nothing about it, routes are too long (ie not enough rocket or bullet services), getting on par with running a car week to week on costs, still require alot more of those digital signs to tell us if a service has been cancelled or delayed, buses are full of mozzies most mornings, most of them also leak when raining or the A/C overflow leaks inside the cabin, seats on the new buses are far to uncomfortable for more than 30mins, I can go on......
Students have just as much of a right to sit as adults do. i am sick of people saying all this crap about kids and students, adults have legs too. If there is a pregnant women or elderly person then an adult or child should stand up for them.
l_blue_l no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #9
NCC1701D
Registered User
 
NCC1701D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 810
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_blue_l View Post
Students have just as much of a right to sit as adults do. i am sick of people saying all this crap about kids and students, adults have legs too. If there is a pregnant women or elderly person then an adult or child should stand up for them.
Adults pay more than students and kids, you get what you paid for. The more you pay the more you get. I pay more I wanna a seat !!!!
You kids are lucky these days. Back when I was a kid if we didn;t get up for older people we'd get strapped at school if they found out about it. You kids have it easy these days.
NCC1701D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:28 AM   #10
Brissy_Lad
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 435
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_blue_l View Post
Students have just as much of a right to sit as adults do.
If the student is travelling on a concession then you are wrong...
Brissy_Lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #11
SEQ92
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,316
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC1701D View Post
Adults pay more than students and kids, you get what you paid for. The more you pay the more you get. I pay more I wanna a seat !!!!
You kids are lucky these days. Back when I was a kid if we didn;t get up for older people we'd get strapped at school if they found out about it. You kids have it easy these days.
Well this isn't the old days is it? Its the 21st Century FFS! Equal Rights!
SEQ92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #12
Maroon Grown
QUEENSLANDER!!!
 
Maroon Grown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Brizzie
Posts: 2,514
Likes (Received): 231

its just courtesy to stand for elderly ppl and pregnant women.

just on that topic, i have never wittnessed someone not standing for a pregnant woman or elderly person. i hear of it all the time, yet ive never once seen it. i reckon a few 50 year old woman and 1 month pregnant woman are having a whinge because they reckon they fall into that category
Maroon Grown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #13
SEQ92
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,316
Likes (Received): 4

To the extent where in that ad the woman hits the man over the head with a blowup baseball bat?
SEQ92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #14
SM247
Citadis Rider
 
SM247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 748
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinimick View Post
Well this isn't the old days is it? Its the 21st Century FFS! Equal Rights!
The TransLink conditions of travel do not indicate that it is necessary for school students to stand for non-concession holders. However, there are very clear instructions inside every QR CityTrain carriage and every BT bus that concession holding school students must give up their seats to adults.

Additionally, on every bus and train there are reserved seats wich must be vacated for somebody who is entitled to them (the elderly, disabled or pregnant women) and logically if these are all already occupied, then further seats must be made available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon Grown View Post
just on that topic, i have never wittnessed someone not standing for a pregnant woman or elderly person. i hear of it all the time, yet ive never once seen it. i reckon a few 50 year old woman and 1 month pregnant woman are having a whinge because they reckon they fall into that category
Try travelling on the Gold Coast, it is unfortunately very common down here. The main offenders are public high school students and surprisingly a lot of foreign tourists. Sorry to sound rabid and reactionary, but well-behaved people just don't seem to take up seats while elderly people are standing and for the most part the least well-behaved are actually state school students.
SM247 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #15
Brissy_Lad
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 435
Likes (Received): 0

Problem I face most days is I don't fall into the pregnant, elderly or disabled category, but I do jave 3 smashed discs in my back from an accident that gets incredibly sore after about 20mins of standing while a bunch of seat hoping high schoolers SMS eachother, and if ou ask for the seat their bag is sitting on they'll make the trip hell...
Brissy_Lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #16
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne
 
Yardmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4,166
Likes (Received): 213

Don't ask, just sit on it.
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #17
BrizzyChris
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7,934
Likes (Received): 1255

I'm glad I travel to and from the city and never have to deal with school students. If I had trouble with them though, I'd give them a mouth full (that sounds so suss though).

Edit: I could change it too ear full which is what it should be, but it's funnier this way.
BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #18
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city
 
Fabian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 40,696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brissy_Lad View Post
If the student is travelling on a concession then you are wrong...
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_blue_l View Post
Students have just as much of a right to sit as adults do. i am sick of people saying all this crap about kids and students, adults have legs too. If there is a pregnant women or elderly person then an adult or child should stand up for them.

It's ettique guys. The young ones are always expected to give up their seats to adults and the elderly as part of providing courtesy.
__________________
Find out why Sydney has become the city that it is today:

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #19
Aussie Bhoy
Registered User
 
Aussie Bhoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,354
Likes (Received): 11487

Brisbane Transport related I guess, cool picture I found on the Qld State Library webpage, probably not worth starting a thread over, so I'll put it here.

Roma Street 1959
Aussie Bhoy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #20
BrizzyChris
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7,934
Likes (Received): 1255

Just amazing how much it has changed now. Could you ever imagine seeing a massive warehouse building in the CBD.
BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Tags
brisbane, buses, busway, public transport

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PUBLIC TRANSPORT | Projects + News + Gallery Moveax Wellington 1120 February 1st, 2020 05:47 PM
Private Transport Kane007 Archives 658 December 11th, 2007 01:24 AM
Public Transport Kane007 Archives 520 September 25th, 2007 08:29 PM
AUCKLAND: Transport Discussion (Part 1) KIWIKAAS Archives 581 July 21st, 2006 01:31 AM


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:50 PM. • styleid: 14


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us