Brisbane Public Transport - Page 181 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Archives

Old April 12th, 2010, 04:34 AM   #3601
yommy

Likes (Received): 0

Even if you are an infrequent user, it is not hard to buy a go card and shove it in your wallet, problem solved.

My father even has one, and he drives everywhere, uses public transport maybe 3-4 times a year.
yommy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2010, 04:35 AM   #3602
beastjim
Maglev Believer

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBrissy View Post
Draft TOR are up for Cross River Rail:

http://www.dip.qld.gov.au/resources/...river-rail.pdf
Should be able to knock that one over in an afternoon with a couple of beers. .

Actually a lot of the Fauna and Flora issues should be minimal risk, noise can always been contained when your talking about tunnels, cultural issues are nothing too serious as there are unlikely to be many aboriginal artifacts left in inner city Brisbane. So it should just be the design side including topography ect.

I guess we just have to hope that mitigating all the issues doesn't force this thing into the unreasonable category financially.

EDIT: A fair bit of that would have been covered in the previous investigation as well, the pre feasibility one. (Can't remember it's exact name)
'eat something greasy and have a wank'.
beastjim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #3603
brisbanite

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
And the entire network will be prepaid by the end of the year anyway so its kind of a mute concern for this service alone.
Yes but this route was marketed as one that will help ease the conjestion at taxi ranks on Friday and Saturday nights for party-goers as well as being a route that tourists would use. Not everyone uses PT during the week so many won't have a Go-card not to mention tourists who may only want to use PT only a handful of times while their here.
brisbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #3604
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 5461

I think there will be a very small number of people who regularly go out drinking that couldn't be arsed bying a go-card.
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #3605
nikko
Registered Yooser

Likes (Received): 10

And for those cases, disposable go cards will be available...
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #3606
sweetchariot
swing low

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisbanite View Post
Yes but this route was marketed as one that will help ease the conjestion at taxi ranks on Friday and Saturday nights for party-goers as well as being a route that tourists would use. Not everyone uses PT during the week so many won't have a Go-card not to mention tourists who may only want to use PT only a handful of times while their here.
the only minority you forgot to mention was "the children"..!! i think it is fair enough that people get used to not being able to buy a ticket before boarding. the n199 is still there for night time use anyway.
sweetchariot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #3607
MyFavco
Regular User

Quote:
Draft TOR are up for Cross River Rail:

http://www.dip.qld.gov.au/resources/...river-rail.pdf
Looking at the document below the route to be seems pretty clear. It makes it obvious which areas are not being considered which says quite a lot.

http://www.dip.qld.gov.au/resources/...r-rail-map.pdf

Nimby's start all innocent. But then they turn into NOTE's (Not Over There Either) and before long they turn into BANANA's (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything). You can't trust em, so stamp em out early I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
AtD is so hawt with his statistics and blunt wit.

Last edited by MyFavco; April 12th, 2010 at 11:29 AM.
MyFavco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #3608
beastjim
Maglev Believer

Sir Leo? I need some help with that one MyFavco
'eat something greasy and have a wank'.
beastjim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #3609
MyFavco
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastjim View Post
Sir Leo? I need some help with that one MyFavco
who has been playing around with my account !???

and no, that is not a photo of me.
Nimby's start all innocent. But then they turn into NOTE's (Not Over There Either) and before long they turn into BANANA's (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything). You can't trust em, so stamp em out early I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
AtD is so hawt with his statistics and blunt wit.
MyFavco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 02:13 AM   #3610
Macca-GC

Likes (Received): 311

This morning I've caught both the 77 and the city glides for the first time.
Comments on the 77: it was a bit empty. Got off at Greenslopes because I couldn't be bothered going across the northside in peak hour traffic.
Comments on the city glider: seems good. Fast service. Peak hour frequencies are great. I got off at the valley and by the time i'd waited for the lights to change to cross Wickham street, the next one had arrived. In regard to the criticism me the advertising all over the outside of the bus, it's okay so long as the driver turns the inside lights on. And I think it's better than having ads for random companies on there.
Macca-GC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #3611
Macca-GC

Likes (Received): 311

Okay, after just riding the city glider for the whole distance, I have some more comments. Service is good. Very fast. 33' 24" for Teneriffe to west end. Pretty good considering the ferry from west end to riverside took me 32'. In regards to route, the only issues I see is at west end, where it goes around the block to turn around, that bloody roundabout at the corner of Gray rd and Hoogley street is just a joke. The bus couldn't turn around it and just drove straight over it. Other than that, I noticed a LOT of people got off at mollison street. Like, more than half the people on the bus. The busiest section was from the cathedral stop to mollison street. In regards to the bus shelters, i'm not sure if I like them, the paint is really quite terrible. And from a distance, it almost looks like they're made of timber. But when you're in them, they're quite fine. Signage is good.

Overall, i'm happy with the service, but I do wonder about the levels of demand when the fares kick in. I was also thinking as I went along about how they could convert to light rail in future. On the west end side, it's fairly foreseeable, except for Melbourne street. Don't know how they'd put it through there. But I don't think that'll be a problem for quite some time.
Macca-GC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #3612
KJBrissy

That's pretty much the route for the Metro. The light rail will be underground.
Old April 14th, 2010, 02:26 AM   #3613
BrizzyChris

Likes (Received): 1255

Does anyone know if there are detailed bus route/bus station patronage figures or a report available for recent years, similar to what QR puts out for the Citytrain network?
BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 02:32 AM   #3614
brisbanite

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca-GC View Post
Okay, after just riding the city glider for the whole distance, I have some more comments. Service is good. Very fast. 33' 24" for Teneriffe to west end. Pretty good considering the ferry from west end to riverside took me 32'. In regards to route, the only issues I see is at west end, where it goes around the block to turn around, that bloody roundabout at the corner of Gray rd and Hoogley street is just a joke. The bus couldn't turn around it and just drove straight over it. Other than that, I noticed a LOT of people got off at mollison street. Like, more than half the people on the bus. The busiest section was from the cathedral stop to mollison street. In regards to the bus shelters, i'm not sure if I like them, the paint is really quite terrible. And from a distance, it almost looks like they're made of timber. But when you're in them, they're quite fine. Signage is good.

Overall, i'm happy with the service, but I do wonder about the levels of demand when the fares kick in. I was also thinking as I went along about how they could convert to light rail in future. On the west end side, it's fairly foreseeable, except for Melbourne street. Don't know how they'd put it through there. But I don't think that'll be a problem for quite some time.
Is there sufficent demarcation so users can easily distinguish that it is the City Glider?
brisbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 06:09 AM   #3615
SM247
Citadis Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrizzyChris View Post
Does anyone know if there are detailed bus route/bus station patronage figures or a report available for recent years, similar to what QR puts out for the Citytrain network?
Only the quarterly TransLink Trackers (http://download.translink.com.au/abo...q2_tracker.pdf for the most recent one) and the TTA annual reports. These are masterful uses of figures to wow and bedazzle the public while not actually saying anything.

Really, they should release on-time running performance and patronage for each individual bus route and (collectively) each bus operator. Very easy to grab this information from what is now a common ticketing system. What they do release is, qualitatively speaking, useless, because it doesn't show where the problem spots in the system are.
Old April 14th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #3616
BrizzyChris

Likes (Received): 1255

Yeah, Translink Trackers is nothing more than some light-on promo piece.

I'm surprised Translink wouldn't realise details of individual routes and bus stations. This info would be fascinating, and as you said, help to realise where the problems on the network are.
BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 07:52 AM   #3617
Sunbus617
A Random User

Likes (Received): 207

Quote:
That's pretty much the route for the Metro. The light rail will be underground.
An underground Light Rail metro would pretty much clash with the planned Inner-City undeground rail route (Bowen Hills to Park Road via Gardens Point/Woollongabba).
Old April 14th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #3618
KJBrissy

What do you mean clash?They connect significantly different areas and it isn't impossible to have them pass each other.
Old April 14th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #3619
SM247
Citadis Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbus617 View Post
An underground Light Rail metro would pretty much clash with the planned Inner-City undeground rail route (Bowen Hills to Park Road via Gardens Point/Woollongabba).
Reading through the recent info about Cross River Rail, as I understand it they are now looking at 4 separate QR corridors through the CBD and the metro line on top of that:

1. Existing suburban lines (Central platforms 1-4)
2. Existing main lines (Central platforms 5-6)
3. Cross River Rail - Fairfield to Bowen Hills
4. Some other link to relieve pressure on what is now the Ipswich line - potentially via Newstead (Ann St/Doggett St area)
5. Metro of some description from Toowong to Hamilton, probably via the southern CBD and Eagle Street.

5 has now taken on some of the characteristics 4 originally had.

As long as either 4 or 5 services UQ, it should be fine. 4 could even just be a city relief line paralleling the metro but terminating at Bowen Hills and emerging straight into the yards at Mayne.

I expect there is even room for additional metro corridors through the City/Valley area, provided they are spaced evenly. Given the nature of development on Old Cleveland and Gympie Roads, a Chermside to Carindale metro would probably go down a treat in lieu of further extensions to the busways - you would then potentially have Indooroopilly, Chermside and Carindale all linked with metro rail.

Some sort of multi-line heavy rail down to Mt Gravatt, Logan and Beenleigh will be needed too, to provide additional Gold Coast capacity once the Beenleigh line chokes up and to open up a new market to rail and to replace the busway once it becomes non-feasible to run in its current form. Oherwise we will end up with 4 tracks all the way to Beenleigh along a shocking alignment servicing nowhere near the number of people it should, and a Curitiba style BRT system which will need dedicated vehicles anyway.
Old April 14th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #3620
Gazza2

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchariot View Post
it's a trial for when the whole system will be prepaid. go card boarding is so much quicker than cash, so i think everyone will be pretty happy about it. it works fine in central london so i don't see why we can't do it here.
Yeah, but in central London there are ticket machines at every stop.
Gazza2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
brisbane, buses, busway, public transport