Vauxhall Cross | Vauxhall | 186m, 151m | 53, 42 fl | Public Inquiry - Page 19 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 5.00 average.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 08:15 PM   #361
Vincitori

Likes (Received): 121

Government calls public inquiry into Vauxhall Island tower blocks application

"The inquiry will delay by at least six months plans by Transport for London (TfL) to demolish the 13-year-old bus station yards from Vauxhall Bridge and allow Zaha Hadid Architects and owners VCI to build two tower blocks on the site – one 53 floors high and one 42 floors."

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/g...s-application/
Vincitori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2019, 09:03 PM   #362
derekhales
Sir Derek "Killer" Hales

Likes (Received): 498

Booooooo!
derekhales no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2019, 10:19 PM   #363
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 2389

'Save Vauxhall Bus Station campaign'?? How is that a thing?

Streetlife1 liked this post
Leeds No.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2019, 11:43 PM   #364
delores

Likes (Received): 696

Well I suppose there is legitimate concern about the abysmal traffic around Vauxhall.
Too hard and too costly but in the end this is the failure of Nine Elms nothing has really been done to alleviate the problem. If TFL can build a tunnel for the northern line then why was there never any thought about a road tunnel?
Not sure about the argument that 'it will overshadow the area and lead to more wind and glare' Have they seen the rest of the area's proposed and under construction towers?
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 05:26 PM   #365
Skabbymuff
Another 300m+ please!

Likes (Received): 175

This is my favorite project in Vauxhall, most of it is trash, this will lift up the cluster.

Vincitori liked this post
Skabbymuff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 09:26 PM   #366
potto

Likes (Received): 11561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1 View Post
'Save Vauxhall Bus Station campaign'?? How is that a thing?
The old anti strategy of throw enough mud...
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 09:44 PM   #367
SE23 Man

Likes (Received): 52

To be fair although I would like to see this project go ahead, the traffic issue has to be ironed out. The existing 13 year-old bus station is an ugly eye-sore and needs to go, but being someone who drives through Vauxhall from time to time I don't want the traffic to get any worse than it is already. There also needs to be a decent replacement for the buses to sop at as well.
SE23 Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 11:43 PM   #368
gravesVpelli

Likes (Received): 5073

This is one of perhaps a very few, isolated schemes in London that is of world class design and heads and shoulders above so much mediocre stuff being built in London. But the idiots you have in London have decided to call it in, despite the previous scheme having been approved, which I believe was of similar height and bulk. If this proposal is rejected it will demonstrate that The authorities in your town basically have little idea of enhancement to what is basically a dead zone. These towers would possibly be the only ones by the architectural firm for London and are so much superior to the circular tower and its flippant PoMo neighbours next door, but despite delays, which now run to about 5 years, let's hope it succeeds.

If the traffic zononing is the problem, surely they can find ways to get round that?

potto, Skabbymuff liked this post

Last edited by gravesVpelli; May 23rd, 2019 at 11:55 PM.
gravesVpelli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 09:19 AM   #369
london lad

Likes (Received): 3378

I see the Vauxhall society have their sticky fingers in all this.

Remember them. The progressive lot who moaned about tower blocks stealing the light in a local park, a park that has some substantial trees that provide a lot of shade in the summer months.

Isn't the whole point of the gyratory revamp is to make it two way again, something Tfl have consulted on for years. These towers, by far the best in this cluster, are on the same site of already approved towers and are practically surrounded by taller towers.

Skabbymuff liked this post
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 11:13 AM   #370
derekhales
Sir Derek "Killer" Hales

Likes (Received): 498

This sort of idiocy pervades our culture in this country.

Despite living away from London this last decade and a half, I grew up here and spent my formative and early adulthood travelling extensively around it for pleasure and work. I did not need a college degree or a group of like minded idiots sitting around drinking strangely named coffee to work out which parts were crap, it was ******* obvious.

Nine Elms and the Vauxhall area were a shit stain on London and had been for over a century. The fact that we are fortunate enough that foreign investors see an opportunity to make money, despite the architectural merit of their efforts thus far, we should be grateful for. No government of any persuasion in this country would of had the bollocks to do anything as adventurous.

This development is good to impressive IMHO.

I hope the beard strokers and naysayers choke on their Rainbow Nation Gluten Free cookies...
Old June 2nd, 2019, 11:56 PM   #371
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 990

I suspect that the Northern Line's extension to Battersea has something to do with the fact that any new bus station on this site will be smaller than the existing one. Is there any way to see that passengers' safety and convenience doesn't get compromised by a smaller bus station?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: