RBC / FOUR SEASONS HOTEL | 503 ft | 36 stories - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Minneapolis-Saint Paul

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2015, 06:33 PM   #81
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5264

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
Do you want me to concede by joining you in saying we suck?! Nope! Not gonna happen. Can we do better? Of course! But, we are amazing and, IMO, the 2nd best region of the Midwest...by some accounts, the best.
Well to clear up any ridiculous misunderstanding, I wasn't trying to imply Minneapolis "sucks". But any claim that Minneapolis is in the same league as Chicago is absurd. Plain and simple.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2015, 10:03 PM   #82
ArcCrypts
▀ᗄИИED

Likes (Received): 543

Quote:
Originally Posted by illogicaljake View Post
Can't argue with the hard numbers, really. It's actually quite interesting (and surprising) to see that with even the 400+ ft towers taken into account. And seriously I really appreciate you putting the work into gathering that, Arc. Knowing what's working for other cities is vital to our own growth.

But that's exactly why we need to keep up involvement and education about this stuff. Things being slow so far doesn't mean they have to stay that way.
Lets hope things pick up from the extremely slow pace. The last thing I want to happen is for Milwaukee to get a tallest taller then the IDS while we still haven't gotten anything significant proposed or u/c (500 ft+). Their 52 story JC HQ could be taller then the IDS. We may as well let Detroit get 500+ ft towers proposed for more salt in the wound. Hopefully when I calculate how much points Minneapolis has in about 6 months or so, it will be higher. 50 hopefully, or 100+ if luck is on Minneapolis side.
ArcCrypts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 10:19 PM   #83
VVisconsin08

Likes (Received): 8802

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCrypts View Post
Lets hope things pick up from the extremely slow pace. The last thing I want to happen is for Milwaukee to get a tallest taller then the IDS while we still haven't gotten anything significant proposed or u/c (500 ft+). Their 52 story JC HQ could be taller then the IDS. We may as well let Detroit get 500+ ft towers proposed for more salt in the wound. Hopefully when I calculate how much points Minneapolis has in about 6 months or so, it will be higher. 50 hopefully, or 100+ if luck is on Minneapolis side.
Milwaukee has a lot going for it right now. They are slowly but surely picking up all the pieces across the entire metro. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more solid proposals over the next couple of years. Probably not on that scale but big enough to make an impact on the skyline. Minneapolis has a lot going for it especially with that "consortium" and all (haha), just don't be surprised to see MKE continue to thrive.

John Nicollet Mall liked this post
VVisconsin08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2015, 10:24 PM   #84
ArcCrypts
▀ᗄИИED

Likes (Received): 543

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVisconsin08 View Post
Milwaukee has a lot going for it right now. They are slowly but surely picking up all the pieces across the entire metro. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more solid proposals over the next couple of years. Probably not on that scale but big enough to make an impact on the skyline. Minneapolis has a lot going for it especially with that "consortium" and all (haha), just don't be surprised to see MKE continue to thrive.
The consortium is about as real as Atlantis floating out of the Hudson Bay, flying over the Midwest and shooting silly string onto all the cities of the midwest.

VVisconsin08, achybo liked this post
ArcCrypts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 10:42 PM   #85
grant1simons2
Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 2209

We still have real things going though. The convention center hotel is real, so was duvals proposals and he's still actively searching, Thrivent lot has been on the rumor wire for the past years or so. I don't think it's an EXTREMELY SLOW pace, I just think a lot is being waited on. Our downtown population still needs to rise up a little more. Nicollet mall is being redone. And so many little things are just are just waiting to fall into place. But it's very very close.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 04:59 PM   #86
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1927

Quote:
Do you want me to concede by joining you in saying we suck?! Nope! Not gonna happen.
that seems pretty red herring. i don't think anyone in this thread was trying to claim that minneapolis sucks in any kind of general sense.

all you're witnessing here is the frustration of people who are really nerdy about tall buildings lamenting the fact that it's been a really long freaking time since a tall skyline-altering building has been built in minneapolis. this is especially confounding when you consider the fact that the twin cities have one of, if not the healthiest economic environments out of all of the midwest's major cities.

there are absolutely a lot of really positive things happening in the twin cities these days on the urban development front, all we're saying is "hey, can we finally just have a real-deal skyscraper or two thrown into the mix as well? is that too much to ask for?".

Last edited by Steely Dan; February 23rd, 2015 at 05:08 PM.
Steely Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 06:13 PM   #87
creamcityleo79
Urbangeopolitiphile

Likes (Received): 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
that seems pretty red herring. i don't think anyone in this thread was trying to claim that minneapolis sucks in any kind of general sense.

all you're witnessing here is the frustration of people who are really nerdy about tall buildings lamenting the fact that it's been a really long freaking time since a tall skyline-altering building has been built in minneapolis. this is especially confounding when you consider the fact that the twin cities have one of, if not the healthiest economic environments out of all of the midwest's major cities.

there are absolutely a lot of really positive things happening in the twin cities these days on the urban development front, all we're saying is "hey, can we finally just have a real-deal skyscraper or two thrown into the mix as well? is that too much to ask for?".
I totally and completely agree with that...and I am a skyscraper nerd, myself (member here and at SSP for 10 years now!). BUT, there is a lot more to a city than skyscrapers and I just don't think that who builds the most 500+ foot towers is necessarily the best!

Also, for the record, I think Milwaukee and Chicago are AMAZING cities!!! Milwaukee has so much going for it now and Chicago is just beyond amazing! I just think that Minneapolis is on a different trajectory (maybe not with skyscrapers...but, in other ways). Hell, the whole state of Minnesota is booming(unlike Illinois and, in some ways, Wisconsin)!

We should push for something better because we believe our city deserves better...not get down in the dumps about one of the best cities in the country (in SPITE OF our winters!)!

illogicaljake liked this post
creamcityleo79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 07:57 PM   #88
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Quote:
there is a lot more to a city than skyscrapers
of course there is. i don't think any intelligent person would ever attempt to argue otherwise.

Quote:
I just don't think that who builds the most 500+ foot towers is necessarily the best!
who said anything about any city being "the best"? i wasn't aware that this was a race. some cities are better or worse than others depending on any number of different measurable variables (and that's not even getting into the entirely subjective world of aesthetics and other intangibles), but there isn't some highlander-esque "there can be only one" best city competition going on that i'm aware of. and if there were, it'd be a pretty stupid and meaningless competition.

different cities have different strong points and challenges. it's about a given city becoming the best city that it can be by utilizing its strong points to address and overcome its challenges. anything else is a juvenile pissing contest.

Quote:
I just think that Minneapolis is on a different trajectory (maybe not with skyscrapers...but, in other ways).
you keep going back to this theme that something special is happening in minneapolis (trajectories or what not), while also saying that other midwest cities like chicago are declining. the reason i posted the list of chicago skyscrapers built in the past 15 years on the previous page was not to show that chicago is "the best" or anything stupid like that. it was to show that if chicago really is declining, as you believe it is, it sure has a funny way of showing it.

40 buildings over 500 ft. in 15 years don't get built in cities that are declining. cities that are are truly declining tend to build very few skyscrapers (they have neither the need nor the economic wherewithal to construct such expensive buildings).

certain parts of chicago are absolutely declining, while other parts of the city are flourishing and thriving as they never have before. downtown chicago actually led the entire nation from 2000-2010 in the number of people who moved into downtown. other neighborhoods, particularly those in the african american ghettos, continued to see severe decline and abandonment. chicago is an extremely complex tale of two cities right now. it's probably the most interesting city in the country at the moment for sociologists to study. so much positive and negative is going on here simultaneously.

to tritely write chicago off as a city that is "declining" is a gross over-simplification and demonstrates a lack of understanding of what's actually going on in the windy city these days.

Paule, MIAJacob liked this post

Last edited by Steely Dan; February 23rd, 2015 at 08:22 PM.
Steely Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 08:47 PM   #89
CPAcs

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
I just think that Minneapolis is on a different trajectory (maybe not with skyscrapers...but, in other ways). Hell, the whole state of Minnesota is booming(unlike Illinois and, in some ways, Wisconsin)!
Translation from liberalspeak for Steely Dan: Illinois and Wisconsin have Republican governors while Minnesota is still firmly Democrat.

creamcityleo79 liked this post
CPAcs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 09:04 PM   #90
illogicaljake

Likes (Received): 525

*sigh*

Chicago, Chicago, Chicago.

Last edited by illogicaljake; February 23rd, 2015 at 09:38 PM.
illogicaljake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 10:13 PM   #91
grant1simons2
Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 2209

Old February 23rd, 2015, 10:42 PM   #92
creamcityleo79
Urbangeopolitiphile

Quote:
of course there is. i don't think any intelligent person would ever attempt to argue otherwise.

who said anything about any city being "the best"? i wasn't aware that this was a race. some cities are better or worse than others depending on any number of different measurable variables (and that's not even getting into the entirely subjective world of aesthetics and other intangibles), but there isn't some highlander-esque "there can be only one" best city competition going on that i'm aware of. and if there were, it'd be a pretty stupid and meaningless competition.

different cities have different strong points and challenges. it's about a given city becoming the best city that it can be by utilizing its strong points to address and overcome its challenges. anything else is a juvenile pissing contest.

you keep going back to this theme that something special is happening in minneapolis (trajectories or what not), while also saying that other midwest cities like chicago are declining. the reason i posted the list of chicago skyscrapers built in the past 15 years on the previous page was not to show that chicago is "the best" or anything stupid like that. it was to show that if chicago really is declining, as you believe it is, it sure has a funny way of showing it.

40 buildings over 500 ft. in 15 years don't get built in cities that are declining. cities that are are truly declining tend to build very few skyscrapers (they have neither the need nor the economic wherewithal to construct such expensive buildings).

certain parts of chicago are absolutely declining, while other parts of the city are flourishing and thriving as they never have before. downtown chicago actually led the entire nation from 2000-2010 in the number of people who moved into downtown. other neighborhoods, particularly those in the african american ghettos, continued to see severe decline and abandonment. chicago is an extremely complex tale of two cities right now. it's probably the most interesting city in the country at the moment for sociologists to study. so much positive and negative is going on here simultaneously.

to tritely write chicago off as a city that is "declining" is a gross over-simplification and demonstrates a lack of understanding of what's actually going on in the windy city these days.
I actually have a very good understanding of what's going on there. I know that half the city is experiencing a boom and gentrification...while the other half is dying...AND I know that the city lost over 200,000 people in the last census and may lose more in the next because of that other half. I love Chicago!!! Please don't get me wrong! I am not trying to say it is altogether "declining". I just think that, overall, the city will decline further until something major major is done to stem the massive hemorrhage that is the bulk of the South Side.

Also, I think it's ironic (in a funny way...not a snarky way) that you are debating with me on my feelings on Chicago as compared with Minneapolis when I have vehemently cheered you on from the sidelines while you crush those in the SSP City Murder Rates thread who say Chicago is one of the most dangerous cities in the country (which I certainly don't believe to be true). I just think the situation there is quite complicated (as you stated) and that, for us in Minneapolis, it's not complicated at all. We have the best big city economy and one of the best state economies in the country. I am frustrated, too, with the lack of tall buildings being built. But, we have so much else being built and going on that, to me, it's ok...it's about creating a better place...and we are most certainly doing that!

Last edited by creamcityleo79; February 23rd, 2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 10:59 PM   #93
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Quote:
I just think that, overall, the city will decline further
And that's where we fundamentally disagree with each other.

The only thing left to do is agree to disagree and move on.

Let's just hope we don't have to wait another 20 years for Minneapolis to build its next skyscraper.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:00 PM   #94
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5264

Quote:
Yes, let's.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:16 PM   #95
creamcityleo79
Urbangeopolitiphile

Quote:
And that's where we fundamentally disagree with each other.

Let's just hope we don't have to wait another 20 years for Minneapolis to build its next skyscraper.
I can agree to that. Please know that I have deep respect for you and your intelligent posts. Thank you for being civil with me even when we disagree. I hope I am wrong about Chicago.

nasa35 liked this post
Old April 30th, 2015, 06:04 AM   #96
lancestar2

Likes (Received): 1038

not new but it was never posted here...

United Properties offers $10M to buy city-owned Nicollet Hotel Block for tower

as can be read HERE

Quote:
The 22-month construction project could start as soon as spring 2016.
...any other updates about this project?
lancestar2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2015, 07:26 AM   #97
TallBob

Likes (Received): 272

lancaster: The article still says.... "36 story tower". $10 million for a chunk of land is a pretty good price.... It will be a large development.
TallBob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 08:00 PM   #98
mullen

Likes (Received): 735

apartment developer get's cold feet.
http://http://www.bizjournals.com/tw...tners-out.html
mullen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 08:04 PM   #99
TCMPLS

Likes (Received): 659

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullen View Post
apartment developer get's cold feet.
http://http://www.bizjournals.com/tw...tners-out.html
This link doesn't work... at least on my computer.
TCMPLS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 08:06 PM   #100
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Likes (Received): 1186

MINNEAPOLIS | The Gateway | 41 fl

WTF?! Hotel and Residential? GONE?!? This one is dying....
Advertisement