416 East Hennepin - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Minneapolis-Saint Paul

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 5th, 2019, 07:12 PM   #1
TCMPLS

Likes (Received): 687

416 East Hennepin

So this project was announced years ago, and now it looks to be resurrected.

from what I can tell, this will be 12-13 stories and another addition to the growing NE side of the river.

Not really any current details that I can find on the project... hopefully others know more about it

https://twitter.com/UrbanNorth/statu...358727680?s=19

Old February 5th, 2019, 07:53 PM   #2
uptownbro

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMPLS View Post
So this project was announced years ago, and now it looks to be resurrected.

from what I can tell, this will be 12-13 stories and another addition to the growing NE side of the river.

Not really any current details that I can find on the project... hopefully others know more about it

https://twitter.com/UrbanNorth/statu...358727680?s=19

What the uptown Arby’s development should have been!

Scott16475, Mplsuptown liked this post
uptownbro está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2019, 12:59 AM   #3
MPLS_SFO

Likes (Received): 150

Looks great. Every day the Holiday/White Castle rebuild looks worse and worse (and it was already a horrendous mistake).

John Nicollet Mall liked this post
MPLS_SFO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2019, 03:28 AM   #4
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Likes (Received): 1567

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_SFO View Post
Looks great. Every day the Holiday/White Castle rebuild looks worse and worse (and it was already a horrendous mistake).
I know, right?

That site could have had a 12-story apartment/condo complex with both the White Castle and a new Holiday Station woven into its base.

The developers could have made a killing here. But instead they went with a suburban-style (ie. "safe") plan that does nothing to improve the density of the neighborhood. Now we've got a block-sized development just a mile from the heart of downtown that could easily be mistaken for one in Tomah, Wisconsin.

John Nicollet Mall liked this post

Last edited by Avian001; February 6th, 2019 at 03:35 AM.
Avian001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2019, 04:36 PM   #5
mini apple

Likes (Received): 93

I mean, yeah, that plot was a missed opportunity. But the old site was starting to look pretty run down. At least it looks more presentable, and the traffic flow as it relates to the businesses isnt a complete mess anymore.

maxbaby liked this post
mini apple no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2019, 10:53 PM   #6
achybo

Likes (Received): 2103

Here is the image. By my count it looks like it is going to be 14 floors. You can see Rafter on the right and Alia on the left. Sweet

TCMPLS, smoothuser liked this post
achybo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2019, 10:56 PM   #7
Nordeast Homer

Likes (Received): 765

It will certainly look much better than what is currently rotting away on the site.
Nordeast Homer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 01:48 AM   #8
MPLS_SFO

Likes (Received): 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian001 View Post
I know, right?

That site could have had a 12-story apartment/condo complex with both the White Castle and a new Holiday Station woven into its base.

The developers could have made a killing here. But instead they went with a suburban-style (ie. "safe") plan that does nothing to improve the density of the neighborhood. Now we've got a block-sized development just a mile from the heart of downtown that could easily be mistaken for one in Tomah, Wisconsin.
I don't blame the developer as much, they are just doing what will make them money and for the most part that is expected. I put it all on the city here, somehow a gas station/car wash on this site is a conditional use with some weak standards and the pedestrian overlay in this area is weak at best, it is hyper focused for such an urban area(only covers parcels fronting Hennepin/Central and ends at 6th st). The city dropped the ball here and needs to do a better job period. I am betting when the code is overhauled this year, they will, but sheesh this eyesore will be there for many many years now.
MPLS_SFO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 08:10 AM   #9
TallBob

Likes (Received): 273

I hope the final draft has a different exterior than this....We have enough dk. brown's, at least maybe a lighter shade of brown/bronze. IMO.

TCMPLS liked this post
TallBob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 05:49 PM   #10
Nordeast Homer

Likes (Received): 765

I have to believe that's deliberate to blend in better with the historic part of the neighborhood. I have no problem with the color, there are enough other buildings with different materials an color within a couple of blocks, Nord Haus, Rafter, Cobalt, and Alia just to name a few.

anjunabeats91, beykite, achybo liked this post
Nordeast Homer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement