SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Oakland Development News

90K views 151 replies 21 participants last post by  Dirk_Birkin 
#1 ·
I deleted the previous thread as it seems it was full with paywall content which was DMCA'd. When quoting news, please stick to:

title
short abstract or first paragraph
link to full article

Thanks!

#95 ·
39-story tower to break ground in Oakland

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfran...land-39-story-tower-lincoln-behring-eb-5.html

An ambitious 39-story tower next to Oakland's 19th Street BART Station is poised to break ground.

Construction at 1900 Broadway will kick off in June, with a projected opening date in 2021, developer Lincoln Property Co. and capital partner Behring Cos confirmed.

The mixed-use project will consist of 452 residential units, plus about 50,000 square feet of commercial space and 6,700 square feet of ground-floor retail. Entitlements also include restoration of the four-story Tapscott Building that has occupied the 19th Street and Broadway corner for nearly a century.

Solomon Cordwell Buenz and Thornton Thomasetti are the architects for the project. Suffolk Construction is the contractor.

#96 ·
35 Story residential tower proposed for 88 Grand Ave. Oakland

KTGY Architects has filed an application with the Bureau of Planning to develop a 35 story residential tower that would include 275 dwelling units above ground floor commercial. The site is located within the Broadway Valdez District Specific Plan & is requesting an affordable housing density bonus to achieve a 20% bonus in the baseline density of 230 dweilling units up to 275, & includes a request for a concession to the minimum parking requirement & a development waiver to allow a height up to 395 above the 250 foot maximum height allowed under the zoning.

Renderings courtesy of KTGY Architects

#97 · (Edited)
500 Kirkham Street in West Oakland moving forward

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2018/08/01/west-oakland-bart-housing.html#i/10716822

A $300 million West Oakland housing development that hoped to be car-free is pushing ahead, but with the addition of some parking places.

Panoramic Interests plans to build 1,032 units with 44,000 square feet of retail space at 500 Kirkham St., a 3-acre site adjacent to the BART station. The only catch was the grand total of parking spaces that it wanted to build: eight.

Earlier this year, city staff criticized the proposal, writing in a February report that the lack of parking "may be of a concern in the surrounding neighborhood."

Now nearing the third design review meeting in the fall with hopes of breaking ground in spring 2019. Panoramic Interests has increased the number of parking spots to 48.

Parking is a particularly contentious issue near the West Oakland station, where developers argue that the presence of BART and availability of ride-sharing services like Uber and Lyft should be enough to reduce the need for parking. They also argue that parking takes up space that could be used for much-needed housing.
500 Kirkham is Panoramic’s proposed new workforce housing development, adjacent to the West Oakland BART station, in Oakland, CA.

The development (one 23-story tower, plus two smaller buildings reaching eight and nine floors, respectively) will take full advantage of its proximity to newly revitalized downtown Oakland, and to the only BART station directly connected to every other station in the Bay Area

View from window of BART Train

Renders courtesy of Lowney Architecture - Pankow Builders is the general contractor.

#98 ·
Where would people go if they want to visit their friends or the 44,000 sqft retail space in the area?

I like the design though, especially the "Oakland" signages. I like how they show a perspective of how it will look like from a BART train.

BART is going to be a lot more packed with there being ~3k-4k more residents around the West Oakland station. It's the very last stop before going to San Francisco for work.

#99 · (Edited)
Update on EBALDC/STRADA Lake Merritt BART TOD

From the S.F. Business Times: By Blanca Torres Updated Mar 12, 2019, 9:02pm PDT

BART picked the developers about six months ago, and now they've come forward with the proposal in a pre-application to the city. The details include:

293 units of market-rate rental housing in a 27-story building
95 units of affordable senior rental housing in an eight-story building
98 units of affordable family rental housing in a seven-story building
25-story office building encompassing about 550,000 square feet
A publicly-accessible "paseo" with food, retail and incubator space
Strada and EBALDC are proposing two high-rise towers as part of a redevelopment of the Lake Merritt BART plaza.

Rendering courtesy of: BART Planning, Development & Construction Department

#101 ·
I love Oakland's potential of extending their mid/high rises across the city. They have SO many proposals right now and I hope they all move forward.

Brooklyn Basin, new Oakland baseball stadium, and all of these proposals next to a BART station (Lake Merritt, West Oakland, MacArthur). Hell, there's even that high rise in Emeryville.

#102 ·
Construction updates

Holland Partner Group's 250 Unit, 25 Story - 1721 Webster Street development started construction in 2018:

Solomon Cordwell Buenz Architecture

Developer Lennar Multifamily Communities - 380-foot, 34-story, 254-unit tower located at 1640 Broadway, just one block away from the 19th St. BART station topped off in November 2018. This is currently the tallest residential tower in Oakland.

1314 Franklin Street
Carmel Partners began construction in November, 2018 on what will be Oakland’s largest residential tower at 40-stories reaching 400 feet. The building atop a seven-floor podium that will include 634 residential units and about 17,000 square-feet of retail space, according to city records. There will be 600 off-street parking spaces.

Photo courtesy of Oakland Built@oakbuilt - Mar 4, 2019.

1314 Franklin Street
Renderings courtesy of Solomon Cordwell Buenz architects

#103 ·
Oakland will continue to see high rise construction boom downtown since high costs of construction are not factor here. Investors and lenders are much more aggressive in Downtown Oakland than in Downtown SJ since it has Bart, no height limit, and spillover effects of Downtown SF. In 5 years: total transformation to a high rise district with lots of dynamic. It's going to be a fun and cool little city to enjoy.

#104 ·
With all these projects the ~115m plateau of Downtown Oakland will be fully solidified, especially since a lot of these new towers fill the gap between the Lake Merritt and Broadway clusters. Over the next few years it'll be interesting to see if there'll be any proposals to break the plateau. A proposal for a true skyscraper would be really exciting, and seems more likely now that there's been a semi-serious plan for a 65-story skyscraper in Emeryville.

#105 ·
the generally accepted lower limit for a skyscraper would be the 400' mark. while oakland only has one building that meets that criteria now, there's more than a handfull of proposed/approved/under construction that also qualify.

i'm totally on board with your thought process though. i'd like to see the city have at least a couple 5-700 footers to break the plateau form of the skyline that's taking shape.

#106 ·
New 110-unit Apartment is now open right by Coliseum BART in Oakland

Coliseum Connections’ market-rate units will be rented for $2,200 to $2,700 and the affordable ones for $1,100 to $1,570, according to a news release from the city and UrbanCore. Available units include 66 one- and two-bedroom flats, as well as 44 two-story townhomes. There also is an 86-space parking structure.

Despite the project taking 17 years to plan, it took a quick 17 months to build. The relative speed is credited to developers using “modular construction techniques” to stack pre-fabricated units on top of each other.

Source: https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2019/0...w9wRTnhzNVzEXhKM8C085UKWhIV8NBCZ_XgTgXzjlvRug

#119 ·
New 110-unit Apartment is now open right by Coliseum BART in Oakland

Source: East Oakland welcomes new 110-unit apartment complex
I've seen that apartment complex grow and evolve as I ride BART through Coliseum. Hopefully, on one of my rides down to San Jose, I will make a detour to that complex and check out its surroundings. My only hope, though, would be no one would try to harm me, especially it is located in East Oakland.

Reactions: Taller Better
#107 ·
Kaiser Permanente to build new $900 million Oakland headquarters

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Kaiser-Permanente-to-build-new-900-million-13999307.php

Health care giant Kaiser Permanente plans to construct a 1.6 million-square-foot headquarters in Oakland, creating one of the largest new buildings in the Bay Area.

Kaiser, already Oakland’s largest private employer, said Monday it will consolidate 7,200 East Bay employees from seven offices into a new tower at 2100 Telegraph Ave. Construction is expected to start next year, and the building is set to open in 2023.

The project, formerly branded as Eastline, is a block from the 19th Street BART Station. The site is currently a parking garage and vacant lots. It will be named the Kaiser Permanente Thrive Center — “Thrive” is Kaiser’s slogan — and includes a health clinic, community meeting spaces, art gallery and retail space.

Renderings courtesy of: Steelblue

#117 ·
Kaiser Permanente to build new $900 million Oakland headquarters

Kaiser Permanente to build giant, new $900 million Oakland headquarters
Kaiser cancels plans for downtown Oakland headquarters tower
OAKLAND — Kaiser Permanente has canceled its plans to move its headquarters into a modern office in downtown Oakland, a blow for the East Bay’s largest city that arrives amid the economic jolts from the coronavirus panic.
“Delays and increasing costs related to this project caused us to re-examine the feasibility and focus on renovating our current buildings,” Kaiser spokesperson Kerri Leedy said in comments emailed to this news organization.
Amid much fanfare in July 2019, Kaiser and Oakland’s mayor announced that the health care services titan would occupy a $900 million headquarters complex that would have sprouted in the city’s downtown district.
Kaiser has cancelled their plans for a new HQ citing construction costs. They claim it is not related to COVID-19.

#109 · (Edited)
Balco Properties could finally build out its 24-story tower near Lake Merritt BART

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfran...-oakland-tower-new-residential-developer.html

Balco Properties has asked to extend its approvals for a 380-unit building at 325 7th St., about four blocks from Lake Merritt BART station. After nine years, the developer hopes to finalize the site’s design and prepare to apply for building permits.

Balco first snagged approvals for a 382-unit tower at 325 7th St. back in 2011. But the company extended its approvals in both 2013 and 2014, and tried to sell the property to no avail. In 2016, the developer applied to decrease the units to just 160 and reduce the building’s height. The concern was that “no one could make the numbers work for a highrise," said Rachel Flynn, Oakland's former planning director, told the Business Times at the time.

But now the development team has had a change of heart, said the project’s current planner, Maurice Brenyah-Addow, and will stick to the original basic design and build out the 24-story tower, which also includes about 9,000 square feet of commercial space. Balco did not respond to requests for comment.

“They decided the economy has recovered enough, and there’s a market for higher density,” Brenyah-Addow said.

YHLA Architects designed the project - Rendering courtesy of Swenson Builders

#110 ·
TMG Partners office tower @ 2201 Valley

Some new renderings for TMG Partners proposed creative office tower for 2201 Valley St. in downtown Oakland would be about 450 feet tall & 750k sf. with a 30 foot tall lobby & outdoor terraces on the 5th & 17th floors with great views of the S.F. bay.

Renderings courtesy of Solomon Cordwell Buenz architects

#112 ·
SoCal Developer Starts On $100M Oakland Opportunity Zone Hotel Project

https://www.bisnow.com/oakland/news/hotel/socal-developer-breaks-into-oakland-hotel-boom-99810

A SoCal developer is starting construction this week on the latest addition to Oakland's hotel boom, and it is a big one.

At 18 stories and 286 rooms, Hawkins Way Capital's dual-branded Marriott will infuse Oakland's long-starved hotel supply with much-needed inventory.

The 18-story hotel will be the second-biggest hotel in downtown Oakland, behind only the Oakland Marriott City Center in height and room count, according to Visit Oakland CEO Mark Everton. Hawkins Way anticipates cost for the project being in excess of $100M.

In addition to its size, Hawkins Way's dual brands distinguish it from some of the other incoming inventory. About half of the rooms will be a Marriott Residence Inn, while the rest will be a Marriott A-C Hotel. This affords Hawkins Way, which will also operate the hotel, several benefits.
This hotel was originally proposed by developer Lew Wolff who is now in an advisory role for this project.

Renderings courtesy of: Stanton Architecture

#113 ·
2270 Broadway residential tower redesigned

2270 Broadway is a new condo development By Hines currently in preconstruction at 2270 Broadway, Oakland.

Renderings courtesy of Handel Architects

https://handelarchitects.com/project/2270-broadway

2270 Broadway blends metal panels, concrete, and glass into a textured grid-work.

2270 Broadway is a new 223-unit, 23-story residential tower spanning half a block in Oakland, positioned to serve as a landmark gateway between the city’s burgeoning Arts & Entertainment District and the future Broadway/Valdez Retail Corridor. The project is designed to appeal to the eclectic mix of residents that is distinctive to Oakland, from local craftsmen and small business owners, to aspiring entrepreneurs and technology professionals.

The rooftop level offers residents remarkable views of the city and surroundings and a variety of amenities including indoor and outdoor lounges and dining, a fitness center, yoga studio, swimming pool and spa.

#115 · (Edited)
Final redesign for 32 story residential tower at 500 Kirkham

A slimmer & much taller residential tower for 500 Kirkham will be built at the West Oakland Bart Station. The new tower will be 357 ft tall along with two 84-foot mid-rises built along side this final redesign.

Renderings courtesy of Panoramic Interests

https://www.panoramic.com/cityspaces-location/cityspaces-500-kirkham/

500 Kirkham is Panoramic’s proposed new workforce housing development, adjacent to the West Oakland BART station, in Oakland, CA. The project will comprise 1,032 apartments and 41,135 SF of ground floor commercial and flex space, in three buildings, separated by two new pedestrian streets.

The development will take full advantage of its proximity to newly revitalized downtown Oakland, and to the only BART station directly connected to every other station in the Bay Area.
There will only be 59 parking spaces available in this new complex. Panoramic plans to construct the project in two phases, possibly beginning in 2020. This project is within the Federal Opportunity Zone.

#123 ·
I can’t immediately tell the name of this development, but I took this pic from Franklin Street (at 14th Street) when I went through Downtown Oakland last year. I hope this tall residential development will be opened some time this year. From November 2019:

#133 ·
That's the 40 story residential tower at 1314 Franklin St. that I posted some renderings of on page 6 of this thread. This is about the same height as the almost 404 foot Ordway Building in downtown Oakland. This tower has since been named the Atlas Apartments & is listed at around 403 feet making it the 2nd tallest building in downtown Oakland. Here's a couple of recent shots of the completed tower.

#125 ·
Oakland:

BART:

I’ve been marveling at that apartment tower development next to MacArthur BART, from its humble beginnings some two years ago... and look at it now, dominating the Temescal neighborhood. I will definitely need to go through that part of Oakland again once the shelter in place orders are lifted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.