SkyscraperCity Forum banner

San Francisco Photolog [by SSC members]

212K views 475 replies 213 participants last post by  MrBensusan 
#1 · (Edited)
ON SITE IN SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA!!

I am happy to finally present you all with a photo series of San Francisco, taken on two separate occasions within the past month amid splendid, sunny weather. :cool:

In trying to decide how to arrange all these photos, I thought of some alternatives:

1) chronological - where I started...where I ended up
2) formal/structural - by building type
3) geographical - as per location in San Francisco

For reasons of simplicity, I decided on alternative 3!

SOME NOTES, before you start viewing:

1) All images have by taken by the 5.0 mgpxl Sony DSC-V1 camera, except where noted.

2) THE PHOTOS IN THIS THREAD ARE SEVERELY REDUCED IN SIZE AND QUALITY BY THE SERVER I AM USING!!! Most were taking very quickly and without much regard for artistic composition. :wallbash:

3) I will do my best to give identifying captions, though I have yet to identify all the buildings myself (even with the help of www.skyscrapers.com)! You will find the names of architects/firms, construction year, location and additional comments preceding some photos.

4) Please also visit my Berkeley Photo Threads! :colgate: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Berkeley Churches

University of California, Berkeley: Part I

University of California, Berkeley: Part II

The entrance gate to Chinatown, SF

A typical Chinatown apartment/commerce building

A view of Chinatown from California Street

CIVIC CENTER/MARKET

Lippert Building (unknown; 1924; Market Street)

Eastern Outfitting Company Building (Applegarth; 1909; Market Street; brick with woods posts; part of the Market Street Beautification project)

Golden Gate Theater (Lansburgh; 1922; NW corner of Taylor/Market; I am very fond of this south-facing façade with descending balcony windows)

Interior view

Unidentified as of yet

Unidentified

FINANCIAL DISTRICT/UPPER MARKET STREET

Views of the San Francisco Financial District from the Bay Bridge (first two photos taken with Nikon D70)
(Note the highly-sloped California Street in the distance behind the crane!)

Aerial view of the Financial District, with the Bay Bridge in the background

Hunter-Dulin Building (Schultze & Weaver; 1926; SW corner of Montgomery/Market)

View of the Hunter-Dulin Building, surrounded by skyscrapers

Northern Financial District building (unidentified)

Northern Financial District (with the TransAmerica Pyramid soaring on the right and Coit Tower in the distance)

A tiered skyscraper in the Northern Financial District

The Hobart Building (Polk; 1914; Market Street; one of San Francisco's most famous and well-liked buildings!)

Unidentified skyscraper with beaming sunlight

Hibernia Bank (Albert Pissis, architect; 1905/1907 rebuilt after fire; NW corner of McAllister/Market; the earliest surviving Classical building in San Francisco)

Sheraton Palace Hotel (Trowbridge & Livingston firm; 1909; SW corner of New Montgomery/Market)

The Humboldt Bank Building (Meyer & O'Brien; 1906; Market Street)

The Four Seasons Hotel and Residences (Handel & Associates; 2001; Market Street; first 21st Century skyscraper in SF)

A stunning apartment building

TransAmerica Pyramid

NORTH BEACH

Church of Saints Peter & Paul, North Beach, by twilight

Saint Francis of Assisi Church, North Beach

The Sentinel Building (on the ground level is the Café Niebaum-Coppola, owned and operated by San Francisco filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola)

A coffeehouse in North Beach

The apartment building separating North Beach from Chinatown at Broadway & Columbus Avenue

Map painted outside a restaurant in North Beach (note: not drawn to scale! :laugh: )

Casual restaurant life in North Beach

PRESIDIO (all photos taken with Nikon D70)

A military medical chopper performs a fly-over above the Presidio (former military grounds, now designated as a national park) during Memorial Day

American soldiers dressed in uniforms from earlier periods (WWS I & II, Civil War) make a solemn line-up during Memorial Day, 31 May 2004

Three American soldiers

The cemetery grounds at the Presidio

Old military barracks, with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge

Man admiring the Golden Gate Bridge

The Palace of Fine Arts (Bernard Maybeck) in the Presidio

A bird decides to serve as the head of a statue gracing the Palace of Fine Arts

RUSSIAN HILL (taken with Nikon D70)

A view of Lombard Street, "the crookedest street in the world" (photo taken from moving vehicle!)

TELEGRAPH HILL

View of Coit Tower from the Bay Bridge (taken with Nikon D70)

View looking northeast from Union Square

UNION SQUARE (all aerial views taken from Westin-St. Francis Hotel with Sony DSC-V1)

In the center, from near to far, the Humboldt Bank Building and San Francisco Marriott.

A closer view

Union Square

View of unidentified building from Union Square

EXTRAS: SF TRANSPORTATION

A streetcar riding up Market Street

A Van Ness-Market Trolley

A cable car rides past Union Square on Powell Street

Sightseeing bus affront Union Square

My limousine on this very fine day :laugh: :hahano:

Finally, a wonderful light-hearted reminder of my trip to San Francisco :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

See less See more
#6 ·
What more can I say? Superb! :) These images only confirms what a friend of mine that was there a month ago, told me. That it is a very nice, friendly, walkable city, with beautiful scenery!! I really want to visit SF one day, seriously!

BTW. why didn't you use www.photobucket.com, you can store larger images there, up to 250kB:)

#7 · (Edited)
Great shots man! :)

My favorite is the one with sloped California St & Mark Hopkins Intercontinental Hotel towering atop Nob Hill!

San Francisco is full of architectural treasures and your selection is great! The Market Street tower you haven't identified is Four Seasons Hotel & Residences (surrounded by some of the most beautiful heritage buildings such as Humboldt Bank, Phelan Building etc). I very much prefer the Marriott though!

The other tower on Powell St you were wondering about is Sir Francis Drake hotel (behind it you have Crowne Plaza Union Square hotel and the Fairmont high above on the Nob Hill...)

Do you have any more photos?

Cheers

#8 ·
aaah dam, nice pix, should have visited that too, but on my tour to US i got to visit many citys still... NY(ofcourse), Atlanta(hub to tampa), Philadelphia (ride by train to D.C + emergency landing-no fuel on plane-), D.C-nice city gotta love the squirrels, mag-the monuments are nice so is the White house, great order u got the in the US :)

#9 ·
Great photos, M&P! :eek:kay: Reminds me of my trip to this city 10 years ago. San Francisco is definitely among the most interesting cities in the USA. It's got some great architecture, impressive bridges, as well as a beautiful setting.

#18 ·
Ah San Francisco! What a place! What a city! A long time ago, as a visiting New Yorker, I told myself that if there were any place on the west coast I would live in it would be San Francisco.

Now I almost have my wish. I live just an hour's drive south and I love it.

Wonderful pics, Mortar & Pestle. Bravo!

:applause:

I haven't been there often enough this year. Ah, but the summer is coming... :)

#20 · (Edited)
@NorthStar & Naptown...thanks for the Photobucket tip. I uploaded my S.F. photos to that site and discovered - aside from humongous proportions! :D - terrible granularity and roughness in the images. :wallbash: :cry: :mad:
So I think this time, I willl have to settle with snapfish smallness!

@ AltiusAltiusAltius....as I acquire more photos, I will be sure to show them to you! Tomorrow I will be in the City (as San Francisco is called here in the Bay Area) once again for my cousin's graduation ceremony, so there will no doubt be some occasion for photography, including of St. Mary's Cathedral!!!
Btw, thanks for the helpful identifying information!

#25 ·
We do have an old building in downtown SF that's called the Flatiron Building, Naptown. It's not Coppola's charming greenie, though ... it's at the corner of Market & Sutter & graced the opening of the TV show "Crazy like a Fox" ages ago. ;)

Here's a picture of it:

The Flatiron Building is San Francisco Landmark No. 155. Behind it you can see the Hobart Building, which Mortar & Pestle showed us above. :) A few blocks further on Market is another flatironish building, the Phelan Building, SF Landmark No. 156:

As you can see, San Francisco has quite a few flatiron buildings. Oddly shaped lots and streets laid out at angles other than the ubiquitous 90 degrees/grid pattern invite such abundance. :eek:kay:

P.S. Both pictures appear on the website of noehill.com.

#26 ·
well, you guys have seen the pictures! now, an important question remains. :

should i rework the thread so that the pictures are nearly two times bigger (using photobucket!!), risking a tiny bit of image distortion??? or should I leave the photos as they are?​

don't fix it if it ain't broke is what i'm thinking, unless enough of you convince me you'd like to see these images in full size!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.