SkyscraperCity Forum banner

San Francisco Photolog [by SSC members]

212K views 475 replies 213 participants last post by  MrBensusan 
#1 · (Edited)
ON SITE IN SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA!!

I am happy to finally present you all with a photo series of San Francisco, taken on two separate occasions within the past month amid splendid, sunny weather. :cool:

In trying to decide how to arrange all these photos, I thought of some alternatives:

1) chronological - where I started...where I ended up
2) formal/structural - by building type
3) geographical - as per location in San Francisco

For reasons of simplicity, I decided on alternative 3!

SOME NOTES, before you start viewing:

1) All images have by taken by the 5.0 mgpxl Sony DSC-V1 camera, except where noted.

2) THE PHOTOS IN THIS THREAD ARE SEVERELY REDUCED IN SIZE AND QUALITY BY THE SERVER I AM USING!!! Most were taking very quickly and without much regard for artistic composition. :wallbash:

3) I will do my best to give identifying captions, though I have yet to identify all the buildings myself (even with the help of www.skyscrapers.com)! You will find the names of architects/firms, construction year, location and additional comments preceding some photos.

4) Please also visit my Berkeley Photo Threads! :colgate: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Berkeley Churches

University of California, Berkeley: Part I

University of California, Berkeley: Part II

The entrance gate to Chinatown, SF

A typical Chinatown apartment/commerce building

A view of Chinatown from California Street

CIVIC CENTER/MARKET

Lippert Building (unknown; 1924; Market Street)

Eastern Outfitting Company Building (Applegarth; 1909; Market Street; brick with woods posts; part of the Market Street Beautification project)

Golden Gate Theater (Lansburgh; 1922; NW corner of Taylor/Market; I am very fond of this south-facing façade with descending balcony windows)

Interior view

Unidentified as of yet

Unidentified

FINANCIAL DISTRICT/UPPER MARKET STREET

Views of the San Francisco Financial District from the Bay Bridge (first two photos taken with Nikon D70)
(Note the highly-sloped California Street in the distance behind the crane!)

Aerial view of the Financial District, with the Bay Bridge in the background

Hunter-Dulin Building (Schultze & Weaver; 1926; SW corner of Montgomery/Market)

View of the Hunter-Dulin Building, surrounded by skyscrapers

Northern Financial District building (unidentified)

Northern Financial District (with the TransAmerica Pyramid soaring on the right and Coit Tower in the distance)

A tiered skyscraper in the Northern Financial District

The Hobart Building (Polk; 1914; Market Street; one of San Francisco's most famous and well-liked buildings!)

Unidentified skyscraper with beaming sunlight

Hibernia Bank (Albert Pissis, architect; 1905/1907 rebuilt after fire; NW corner of McAllister/Market; the earliest surviving Classical building in San Francisco)

Sheraton Palace Hotel (Trowbridge & Livingston firm; 1909; SW corner of New Montgomery/Market)

The Humboldt Bank Building (Meyer & O'Brien; 1906; Market Street)

The Four Seasons Hotel and Residences (Handel & Associates; 2001; Market Street; first 21st Century skyscraper in SF)

A stunning apartment building

TransAmerica Pyramid

NORTH BEACH

Church of Saints Peter & Paul, North Beach, by twilight

Saint Francis of Assisi Church, North Beach

The Sentinel Building (on the ground level is the Café Niebaum-Coppola, owned and operated by San Francisco filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola)

A coffeehouse in North Beach

The apartment building separating North Beach from Chinatown at Broadway & Columbus Avenue

Map painted outside a restaurant in North Beach (note: not drawn to scale! :laugh: )

Casual restaurant life in North Beach

PRESIDIO (all photos taken with Nikon D70)

A military medical chopper performs a fly-over above the Presidio (former military grounds, now designated as a national park) during Memorial Day

American soldiers dressed in uniforms from earlier periods (WWS I & II, Civil War) make a solemn line-up during Memorial Day, 31 May 2004

Three American soldiers

The cemetery grounds at the Presidio

Old military barracks, with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge

Man admiring the Golden Gate Bridge

The Palace of Fine Arts (Bernard Maybeck) in the Presidio

A bird decides to serve as the head of a statue gracing the Palace of Fine Arts

RUSSIAN HILL (taken with Nikon D70)

A view of Lombard Street, "the crookedest street in the world" (photo taken from moving vehicle!)

TELEGRAPH HILL

View of Coit Tower from the Bay Bridge (taken with Nikon D70)

View looking northeast from Union Square

UNION SQUARE (all aerial views taken from Westin-St. Francis Hotel with Sony DSC-V1)

In the center, from near to far, the Humboldt Bank Building and San Francisco Marriott.

A closer view

Union Square

View of unidentified building from Union Square

EXTRAS: SF TRANSPORTATION

A streetcar riding up Market Street

A Van Ness-Market Trolley

A cable car rides past Union Square on Powell Street

Sightseeing bus affront Union Square

My limousine on this very fine day :laugh: :hahano:

Finally, a wonderful light-hearted reminder of my trip to San Francisco :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

See less See more
#159 · (Edited)
Many moons have passed since I last saw SFO. The interesting aspect of your post is that it was timed to coincide with exactly 100 years from the earthquake on tuesday 18 April, 1906. No one else has mentioned this, including yourself. One pic of the Harbor Court Hotel on the Embarcadero looks like the old Embarcadero YMCA of the early 1970's, when it had a freeway near the roof top. You must have shopped at House of Byron in Beverly Hills before going north, for the pic on the cable car shows your friend. :)

#169 ·
I cant believe i've lived on the westcoast my entire life and i've never been to sanfran!! I need to go there at least once this summer. Awesome photos btw.

#171 ·
chicbicyclist said:
And so hilly, too! Must be nightmare being a cyclist there.
Yeah the crazy thing is that SF is also really famous for its SF hipster cyclists who insist on doing the hipster thing and ride around on fixed gear bikes-- you know, bike messenger chic and all. Whatever floats their boat. I'd rather be biking in nice geared style in SF. The clothes are cool... but don't kill yourself on your fixies... my god those hills are steep.

#172 ·
I never really got that scene. Why not dress the part, and have a geared bicycle? Or better yet, a motor- assisted bicycle(nobody knows its a fixie and nobody cares!). I know I do, apart from the hispter clothing part. I don't like dressing a scene, especially the alternative ones. That doesnt mean I don't know how to dress, I would'nt use this name if I wasnt into that kind of stuff.

I really love the old victorian style houses, especially the ones with vivid colors. I hope to someday buy one of my own regardless of the high prices!!!!

#173 ·
I'll probably go there next December. As a matter of fact, I was just looking at the hotel rates in SFO right now. LOL. If I go, I promise to take pics (and that would be the third time I make a thread about SFO with my own pics. ;) )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.