SkyscraperCity Forum banner

San Francisco Photo Gallery

487K views 2K replies 256 participants last post by  gillynova 
#1 ·
First of all, before you all jump at me, SFO is the most beautiful city in The Americas according to me :tongue3:In case you're wondering, I've been to MXC, LA, BsAs, GDL, CDB, MDZ, PV, ACA, GTO, SD, LV, etc etc etc... Anyway... I spent three days in The City and here are the pics.

DAY 1
Ok, I'm not to tell you the story of my life, but after 10 hrs of driving -SFO is just 6 hrs away from LA. So, you try to figure out what happened. :sleepy:- we got to The City. It was a beautiful sunny and fresh summer day -compared to a cloudy, rainy and cold winter day back in December- and I was anxious to enjoy this beautiful city.

- Some small Bay Area skyline.

- First part of the Bay Bridge ( busiest bridge in the US.)

- SFO skyline from the Bay Bridge.

- Bay Bridge from Fremont St.

- Union Square and the Bank of American Building in the background.

- Geary St.

- The GAP and FOREVER 21 stores on Market St.

- Cable Cars on Powell St.

- Market St. at night.

- Union Square at night.

DAY 2
The next day, we decided to go to Chinatown. I love the Chinatown stores. There're a lot things to see and buy...

I forgot the name of this tower, so lets just call it the X Tower...
- The X Tower seen from Chinatown.

- I believe this is Grant Ave.

- Grant Ave. again.

- California Street. Bay Bridge on the background and please... excuse that SOB. :mad:

- Pine St.

- Chinatown Gate.

- Geary St.

Ok, so... We went to our hotel room and then we decided to go to the Civic Center.

- If I'm not wrong, this building is the Veteran's Building.

- Some federal building.

- Asian Art Museum.

- Some building behind the Asian Art Museum.

- City Hall.

- Some building in the Civic Center area.

- Other buildings around the Civic Center area.

We ate some delicious Thai food and then we headed for Lombard St. ( aka Crooked St.) and the Golden Gate Bridge.

- Lombard St.

- Coit Tower.

- Bay Bridge.

- Alcatraz Island.

- TransAmerica Pyramid.

- Lombard St. looking west.

After taking some pics of the city from Lombard St., we decided to go to the world famous Golden Gate Bridge.

- Golden Gate Bridge looking south.

- Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco's Skyline.

- Golden Gate Birdge again...

- North tower of the Gold Gate Bridge. SFO's skyline in the backgroud.

DAY 3
This is my third and last day in SFO. I've been pretty much everywhere except for one place, the CBD. We didn't have a lot of time left, so I got on the car and I told my friend Eric to take pics while I was driving. Here are some of the pics.

- Montgomery St. going south.

- Bank of America Building.

- California St.

- Density.

- Some skyscrapers on Market St.

- TransAmerica Pyramid.

After driving around the CBD, we decided to go for a walk. We walked a long the Embarcadero all the way down to Fisherman's Wharf.

- View from the Embarcadero.

- Embarcadero.

... Then we took a tour around the bay in a little boat...

- Alcatraz Island.

- SFO Skyline.

- Gold Gate ( again...).

- SFO Skyline again.

- Now we're back in the Embarcadero.

Ok, let me come up with a new headline for this pic ( besides " SFO Skyline".)
- Hmmm some buildings. :tongue3:

Now we're on our way back to Lala Land. Again, my friend Eric had to take these pics because I was driving.

- Veteran's Building.

- Civic Aud. and some other building.

- Veteran's building (again).

And that's it.... Hope you enjoy the pics. ;)

See less See more
#28 ·
MikeHunt said:
SF has beautful geography, but most of its buildings pale in comparison to those in NY, Boston and DC. Therefore, notwithstanding its attractive geography, I would not say that it's the most beautiful city in the US -- let alone the Americas. The latter title clearly belongs to BA.

Anyway, I have spent a lot of time in SF and have never found areas that have street after street of magnificent and elaborate old buildings like those that exist on the Upper East Side between 5th and Lexington or the Upper West Side, etc.
do you have to rain on every goddamn SF thread londonlawywer?

jesus, let people have their own opinions.

SF is the most beautiful city in the US to MANY people around the world, for a number of reasons. if you think the setting alone makes SF beautiful then you obviously don't know much about SF, because it isn't just the setting (many cities have more dramatic and awe-inspiring settings)..... it's the whole package.

:|

nice pics, btw....

#29 ·
Nouvellecosse said:
Gorgeous pics of one of the world's most fascinating places.

I love the San-Oak Bay Bridge and I'd love to cross it one day, but I'm pretty sure the busiest bridge in the US is either the George Washington or Williamsburg bridge in NY. SF-Oak Bay is likely third though.
no. that's not true.

i've seen numerous resources that have said the SF bay bridge is the most heavily traveled bridge in the world (in terms of vehicles), as well as George Washington bridge. the bay bridge alone carries almost 300,000 autos daily. i've never seen actual hardcore stats that unanimously put one of these bridges over the other.

and i've never seen any stats that mention Williamsburg as being the 'busiest'.

there is every reason to believe that the Bay Bridge is the busiest bridge in the world, as it is the most vital urban link in one of the most congested metros in the US (much more so than NYC).

#31 ·
I'm just on vacations in sillicon valley and enjoing also SF. let me show you pictures from my thread http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=252038

first we went to lincoln park in NW SF, between Golden Gate and ocean
there is a museum

holocaust monument

and some bridge

then we went near the ocean

richmond district on the left

surfers on the right

then we went to SE, thru sunset district, on the top of twin peaks (280 m above sea level). views from there are great.

SF-oakland bay bridge

financial district

not bad point of view

I just had to put on my glasses;)

road, which we used to go to the city

castro is proud district

municipal transportation

old trams, some from italy

already near the bay. a part of oakland bridge

ferry building

there is commerce inside

bay bridge is tall, even over the city

I'm going on SW thru financial district. I stay north from market street and east from chinatown, so on small area

I didn't expect SF to be so "newyorky"

small architecture

do you remember a movie "meet my parents"?:D

there is a number of old buildings between towers

transamerica pyramid - 260 m, the tallest building in SF

on many buildings there are state and national flags

TAP from near

it has original groundfloor

it is probably forbidden to go upstairs but there are cameras on the top so you can see images from the street

so nice building in front of TAP

is a scientologist center. in SF there are also masonic temples

there are plenty of banks

some of them funny

good brakes are needed

eventually I went to chinatown

the oldest church in SF is now near chineese street

I like such back streets

the sun is going down

#33 ·
The Asian Art Museum started out with the Avery Brundage collection, which was assembled here in Chicago. How it got to SF is worth telling.

Avery Brundage assembled his art collection with the help of the Curator of Asian Art at the Art Institute of Chicago (I believe it was Kelly at the time.) Avery Brundage wanted to give the collection to the Art Institute provided that they build a separate wing to house it. Kelly promptly forwarded the request to the Director of the AIC, who promptly suggested that it be offered to San Francisco!!!!

This anecdote tells you a lot about SF and Chicago at that time. For one, fashionable Chicago society remained predominantly WASPish long after society in places like NYC and Boston relaxed. Another is that SF was very forward looking even at that time after WWII. It also tells you that unlike the cities of the West Coast, Chicago did not deeply appreciate the Arts outside the traditional western canon (with the exception of the likes of Clarence and Kate Buckingham.) Although changing, many things remain the same here in my native city.

Sorry for being long-winded. My point is that, to me, the beauty of SF lies more in the sense its openness and experimentation to try new things, and to look at the arts and business in ways different and truly innovative compared to its older sister cities. I agree that such things like the expense of owning a house in the City give it a distinctly elitist flavour, but I think people nonetheless flock to the Bay Area not just because of the geography -- or the climate (which is no match for the likes of San Diego-La Jolla).

I do agree: that it's the whole package that make SF what it is.

#36 ·
legal said:
Beautiful city, but "the most beautiful city of the Americas"?

It doesnt even scratch Rio de Janeiro..
Rio's beauty lies solely in its geographic setting.

however it's architecture, streetscape, vernacular bldgs, etc are nondescript, if not borderline ugly (can we say favelas?).

beauty comes in different forms. and with SF it is the combination of hills, water, landmarks, pastel victorians, fog, and character that create an experience unlike any other.

#37 ·
AcesHigh said:
Alex, do you consider SF to be the most beautiful city in terms of architecture, urbanism and feel or GEOGRAPHY? I think its very hard to say SF has more gorgeous geography than Rio...
The most beautiful overall. Guys... you're taking me way too serious...

I've never been to Rio, but SFO has an awesome natural setting. I personally find SFO's natural setting more attractive than Rio's... So, as you can see, it all depends on who you ask.

#38 ·
legal said:
Beautiful city, but "the most beautiful city of the Americas"?

It doesnt even scratch Rio de Janeiro..
I've been in this forum for years and I've seen thousands and thousands of pics from Rio. The only people that I've heard saying that Rio is a " really beautiful city" are Brazilians. I even asked some Brazilians to post street level pics of Rio to see how beautiful the city is, and IDK... I didn't find the city ugly, but I didn't find it " beautiful."

#49 ·
San Fran

Agreed, one of the most beautiful in the Americas if not the world. SF is one of those cities that you realize how special it is after being there a few days and really exploring the neighbourhoods, and some of the outlying regions. The area surrounding SF is spectacular.