SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Bay Area Weather

46K views 68 replies 30 participants last post by  glozag91 
#1 ·
SNOW IN THE SF BAY AREA!!!!

Folks,

out here in San Ramon, 15 minutes from Oakland, between 6 and 8 pm on March 10th, we had some significant snow, considering it NEVER snows here! I've got some pics!!!!

more snow for tonight along with frigid temps!!! looks like it'll be here for at least another day!

:cheers2:

See less See more
#15 ·
Oh my effing ef, that is not snow, that is rain with ice shunks in it!!! Okay, maybe it is borderline snow, that is erm, cool for San Francisco, I guess. We have gotten twice that amount in July before!!! If you aren't used to driving in it, is can be a nuisance. The first snow of the winter-season is always hard to drive in.

#17 ·
smartlake said:
Oh my effing ef, that is not snow, that is rain with ice shunks in it!!! Okay, maybe it is borderline snow, that is erm, cool for San Francisco, I guess. We have gotten twice that amount in July before!!! If you aren't used to driving in it, is can be a nuisance. The first snow of the winter-season is always hard to drive in.
who's we? :? anchorage? minneapolis? Saskatoon? a friggin ski resort? im 450 ft above sea level, this is snow.

#21 ·
theres more rain and more snow in the mountains planned for tomorrow, march 28th. it will drizzle on wednesday and rain heavily again thursday or friday i believe. so were not out of the woods yet. i hope that it doesnt rain after this week so that i can go golfing...

regarding ur post 612bv3, when i took these pictures there was snow at like 150 ft above sea level, :lol: . mt. sutro saw a surprising dusting of snow, whereas i got over an inch hahaha.

but yes, when its mt. diablo that gets a little bit of snow, pretty much no places, save for mt. tamalpais or mt. hamilton have any snow. when i took these pictures, some meteorologists predicted snow for sea level, and all for 500 ft. i as at 650 ft :lol:

#24 ·
Global warming enlarging San Francisco Bay, scientists say

Global warming enlarging San Francisco Bay, scientists say
By Julie Sevrens Lyons
Mercury News
Article Launched: 05/24/2007 02:22:47 AM PDT

In one of the most detailed looks at global warming's impact on the Bay Area, scientists Wednesday painted a grim portrait of increasing heat waves, droughts, water shortages and wildfires accompanied by more severe thunderstorms, flooding and coastal erosion.

Low-lying areas such as Alviso and the Oakland and San Francisco airports could be under water by 2100 if seawalls aren't erected to protect them from the already rising sea, scientists warn. And some bird and fish species could become extinct as ecological changes affect their local habitat.

"This is not fantasy," said David Reynolds, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service. "These sorts of things are already occurring."

Scientists gathered in San Francisco for the workshop on California climate change, which was sponsored by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

While many Americans have long equated global warming with changes to glaciers and ice caps in the Antarctic, the scientists stressed that climate change is coming to our own backyards.

In fact, said Will Travis, executive director of the San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission, "it's already here."

The severity of global warming has not been consistent around the globe, according to researchers. In this country, for example, the westernmost states have been - and will continue to feel - the effects the most.

"The problem of climate change is local. It will have
a tremendous impact on San Francisco Bay," Travis said. And the need for major solutions to slow the warming trend is even more urgent here than in other parts of the country because there's so much development close to the bay, Travis said.

Sea level rising

One of the most striking examples of climate change can already be seen in the bay, where, because of global warming, the sea level is already seven inches higher than it was little more than a century ago. Scientists expect that, if greenhouse gases are not kept in check and global temperatures continue to rise, the bay could rise an additional 1 to 3 feet by 2100.

"The bay is going to get bigger," Travis said. And for large swatches of real estate - primarily areas built on landfill - the end result could be devastating. "It will absolutely flood lots of homes and businesses."

Before the Gold Rush, the bay used to be much larger, measuring about 787 square miles, Travis said. The addition of landfill along the bay's edges has reduced its size to about 548 square miles. But rising sea levels could bring the bay back to its original size, wiping out myriad housing developments and business parks in the process.

Scientists are also seeing climate change influence the region in many other ways. Global warming isn't just making the area warmer - with a 1 degree average air temperature rise in the past century - it is subjecting us to more extreme weather.

Evidence points to an increase in heavy rainstorms in California, Reynolds said. Coastal flooding and erosion are also more prevalent because of the stronger storms and rise in sea levels. And while daytime temperatures are largely the same, there has been a significant increase in overnight temperatures.

The "San Jose heat storm of 2006," as Reynolds called it, may have baked the Bay Area in 100-degree-plus temperatures, but it alarmed scientists because "the hills did not fall below 90 degrees at night."

Said Reynolds: "It's sobering. These are real numbers from climate stations in the Bay Area that have shown these temperature rises."

Oceanographers are also lamenting climate-induced ecological changes which, they say, could reduce or displace fisheries, affect the reproduction and migration of sea life, and reduce coastal water quality.

Warm-water animals

Global warming is occurring to the detriment of salmon, squid and anchovies, although there are some winners, like exotic fish.

"The environment is becoming more favorable to animals that like warmer water," said Frank Schwing, an oceanographer with NOAA's National Marine Fisheries Service.

While many species are resilient and can bounce back from changes in their environment, the acceleration of global warming "is not giving wildlife the opportunity to adapt in the way it normally would," said Maria Brown, superintendent of the Gulf of the Farallones National Marine Sanctuary in San Francisco.

Warmer, less nutritious water is rising up in the bay, which is affecting the health and reproduction of some local sea life, Brown said.

Cassin's auklets, birds which nest on the Farallon Islands and along Año Nuevo, have failed to breed in the region for two years - something that's unprecedented in the history of that species on the islands, Brown said.

In addition, he said, blue whales have also temporarily abandoned their feeding grounds in the area because of a lack of prey - primarily the absence of tiny crustaceans called krill that are at the heart of the aquatic food chain.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_5974320

I remember seeing a book wriiten in the 70's about how the bay is going to be filled in and now their concerned about the oposite hapening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.