West Midlands Growth | What do we really need? - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2019, 09:26 PM   #41
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppmb80 View Post
How would Dudley or Walsall for example lose identity by being in Greater Birmingham ? Enlighten me.
Oh I'll enlighten you alright. Look at Greater Manchester as an example. We now have both locals and non-locals describing the surrounding towns as simply being "in Manchester", the "Greater" name is often dropped these days. I've heard Andy Burnham incorrectly referred to as "The Mayor of Manchester" a number of times. On a number of occasions on this very forum I've been shouted down by locals who choose to declare places such as Stockport as being part of actual Manchester. If that's what they want, then that's up to them, but for my own area I don't want another city's name taking over. What is wrong with that?! What is wrong with wanting to preserve just a bit of history and identity, just as you'd want to with Birmingham?

Quote:
They would still be Dudley and Walsall funny enough, in fact if anything by being un Greater Birmingham ( which by the way in all ways but name they are ) surely gains them more international recognition.
Perhaps, perhaps not too. I've seen improvements in my own area without it having a big city name attached to it. I'd like to see the Black Country get wider recognition but personally I'm not hungry for mega fame.

Quote:
Strange folk about sometimes must say !! This anti brum chip on ones shoulder is getting tiresome!
The arrogance of some people when it comes to their big cities is rather tiresome! And for the millionth time, I'm not "anti Brum". That is just beyond inaccurate. Anti big cities anonymously swallowing up surrounding smaller towns and cities is far more what you can accuse me of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
Butters, have any of the Black Country towns lost their identity in the 45 years since the four boroughs were created or because of the use of the all encompassing name The Black Country?
No, for one thing "Black Country" covers each town equally! No one town or city is "promoted" through that name. Plus, it's a name which has caught on locally over the years and is used by locals, companies, businesses etc. It's popular.

And of course some identity got lost in the creation of the boroughs. Towns like Sedgley and Aldridge were far more important before they were swallowed up by Dudley and Walsall boroughs. And although I'm content with the West Midlands naming (certainly compared with some of the alternatives), its creation removed most of the historic links with the original counties; locally we lost the Stafford Knot for one thing, which appeared on formal buildings, in school logos etc. You still see it from time to time but I'd guess most people don't know what it is. There'd be many more examples if I thought about it longer.

Last edited by Butterfield; September 29th, 2019 at 09:40 PM.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 29th, 2019, 09:35 PM   #42
Bingethink

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
I posted the same link in the East Midlands forum but was told that this was for the West Midlands only.
Why? Says who?
Bingethink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2019, 10:50 PM   #43
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingethink View Post
Why? Says who?

I shall pm you rather than drawing this out on the thread. I'm happy to copy the opening post across to the East Midlands forum …. AGAIN.
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2019, 03:24 PM   #44
RalphGuy

The thread has been scuttled so the recent posts have been removed. Discussing how Birmingham rivals Manchester is perhaps a part of the Midlands Growth discussion but the thread had descended right down to the bottom of the barrel.
Old October 8th, 2019, 03:26 PM   #45
RalphGuy

Midlands : What next for its fast growing economy? Another chance to fill in the survey.

www.insidermedia.com/insider/midlands/midlands-what-next-for-its-fast-growing-economy

aqeembayor liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement