U/C | SYDNEY | Metro: City & Southwest (Chatswood to Sydenham and Bankstown) - Page 345 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2020, 10:53 AM   #6881
CementC
Here we go again

Likes (Received): 626

Ah the good ol days of labor.

EK413, fro liked this post
CementC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2020, 11:20 AM   #6882
prp002

Likes (Received): 4730

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
prp002 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2020, 11:25 AM   #6883
L2
L2 in 2020

Likes (Received): 1733

I remember a decade ago after Michael Costa's cuts that the Bankstown line's weekend service consisted of one Liverpool via Bankstown train every 30 minutes. And you'd wait 28 minutes for it and it always seemed to be an old S set that would rock up.

It was the same on the Inner West line too, the only service was one Bankstown via Regents Park train every 30 minutes. That was the only train that actually stopped anywhere between Redfern and Ashfield.

It was pretty crap.

But Labor is better for public transport!!!!!1111111

Macca-GC liked this post
L2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2020, 12:20 PM   #6884
hornetfig

Oh but there was no net reduction in service because, see now we run 8 cars everywhere by SWTT instead of 50 out of 52 weekends by STN
hornetfig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 07:46 AM   #6885
Ernie Purrnie

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
I remember a decade ago after Michael Costa's cuts that the Bankstown line's weekend service consisted of one Liverpool via Bankstown train every 30 minutes. And you'd wait 28 minutes for it and it always seemed to be an old S set that would rock up.

It was the same on the Inner West line too, the only service was one Bankstown via Regents Park train every 30 minutes. That was the only train that actually stopped anywhere between Redfern and Ashfield.

It was pretty crap.

But Labor is better for public transport!!!!!1111111
Your just not a true believer, but believe me - Labor are best for public transport.

Let me prove it to you...

https://www.chrisminns.org/

Website Expired
This account has expired. If you are the site owner, click below to login.
Ernie Purrnie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 12:45 PM   #6886
zoomwhoosh

Likes (Received): 1626

Mum Shirl is almost finished

SydneyWorks liked this post
zoomwhoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2020, 05:14 AM   #6887
BigBiggerBiggest

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco-rat View Post
I don't get the obsession from some people, including Zoom, about the gap fillers. I would rather the rebuilt stations had straight platforms but apparently they won't, so gap fillers, however constructed, are the next best thing.

I just don't think the design of such things, is that important. Of course we won't to avoid pointless failures that imperil the whole line due to a faulty gap filler, but if they are maintaining the thing they should be able to fix a failure fairly quickly.
I wouldn't call commenting on a post an obsession...unless the rules have changed for 2020??
for the straight platforms there shouldn't be any issues as long as the rolling stock aligns with the platform. for the curved stations (and no matter how much you want them straightened) there has to be some sort of gap filler from a safety perspective. my suggestion above is one of many im sure !
BigBiggerBiggest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2020, 09:06 AM   #6888
zoomwhoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco-rat View Post
I don't get the obsession from some people, including Zoom, about the gap fillers. I would rather the rebuilt stations had straight platforms but apparently they won't, so gap fillers, however constructed, are the next best thing.

I just don't think the design of such things, is that important. Of course we won't to avoid pointless failures that imperil the whole line due to a faulty gap filler, but if they are maintaining the thing they should be able to fix a failure fairly quickly.
I strive for a higher class of obsession, thank you

This all started because originally they were going to straighten all the Bankstown line platforms, except, curiously, one station. Then they got cold feet over the length of time that construction would take. So, then they put out a new EIS saying that they'd apply a fresh coat of paint and some gap fillers.

And then there was a discussion about mechanical gap fillers. Look, I'd be quite happy if they paid me to design a mechanical gap filler for them. You want reliable? You want "it just works, and keeps working"? Then pay me enough. It can be done. I think Pintpot's phrase was "Its not beyond the wit of man". True.

Anyhow, recently I came across the passive rubber gap fillers at Brisbane airport station. First time I've seen those, so obviously I had to jump up and down on one and I was quite impressed at its rigidity/stability.

You know one of the basic tenets of good engineering is that you don't go and make up complex machines when a simple lump of metal and rubber will do the job. Ok, so these gap fillers probably can't deal with tight curves, but as I said, they can deal quite well with some curvature. Provided you're comfortable with a bit of contact and eventual wear.

To be honest, if I were in charge of this, I'd have insisted that they come up with a better methodology for rebuilding the stations. One that gets the job done quicker and leaves straight platforms. But I'm also quite confident that if they do resort to mechanical gap fillers, they'll be well designed, and hideously expensive and I won't get a cent. Sucks.

So.. its not something I'm going to waste too much energy thinking about...

SydneyWorks, Macca-GC liked this post
Old January 15th, 2020, 03:25 PM   #6889
zoomwhoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomwhoosh View Post
Mum Shirl is almost finished
90 metres to go...

Old January 16th, 2020, 04:44 AM   #6890
Gimble

Likes (Received): 1534

From the update.

TBM Mabel breaks into the Blues Point retrieval shaft -16 December 2019.

Gimble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2020, 07:19 AM   #6891
prp002

Likes (Received): 4730

Old January 17th, 2020, 06:05 AM   #6892
zoomwhoosh

60m....
Old January 17th, 2020, 04:17 PM   #6893
mubd