Cape Town 2010 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Sporting Infrastructure and Events > The Touchline

The Touchline Sports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Make your decision.
Build 2010 stadium at Greenpoint 15 83.33%
Kick Cape Town out of 2010 World Cup. 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 7th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #1
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 97

Cape Town 2010

Vote.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #2
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Likes (Received): 126

Fck all those bustards, we all want a stadium at Green Point.
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #3
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 2560

think there should be a third option, to house it at newlands if the stadium is halted
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #4
Umhlanga
Umhlanga

Likes (Received): 0

I agree with Dysan. Newlands is the best option. Why? Because a sporting precinct already exists there. No one alive today can claim that they moved to Newlands unaware that thousands of sports fans regularly converge on the area for rugby & cricket. The same cannot be said of people living at Green Point.

It was silly that some levels of government assumed that the Green Point residents would simply accept such a radical change to their neighbourhood without a fight. It was equally silly that the various governments debated for so long before choosing a site. Site selection should've taken place years ago. Residents of whatever site was selected should've been presented with detailed plans in 2004. That way, even if local residents opposed the plans there would still have been sufficient time to litigate the matter properly and build the stadium. As it is now, either the legal process will have to expedited (or circumvented), or else the stadium construction will have to be rushed (or scrapped entirely). That's poor planning.

It's too bad that FIFA and the LOC insist that the stadium be built where it isn't wanted, because Newlands represents a much better compromise.
Umhlanga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 07:29 PM   #5
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysan1 View Post
think there should be a third option, to house it at newlands if the stadium is halted
Newlands is not an option. Ive spoken to some people today and its simply not an option.
Old December 9th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #6
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 2560

i really dont see how it is suddenly not an option when in the bid documents it was accept! to me that is utter tomfoolery and an attempt steamroll the greenpoint option. I do not doubt for one moment that Newlands will be used if Greepoint is held up. Not for one moment
Old December 9th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #7
joburg

Likes (Received): 6

yeah.. why wouldn't Newlands be an option? a sports precinct is sommer a sports precinct, isn't it? and it would sacreligious for CT to not have a world cup game..
joburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #8
mike2005

Likes (Received): 15

Its a great stadium in a great location. I think its probably thre most modern and clean/secure of all the SA rugby stadiums so why is it not an option?
mike2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #9
Mo Rush

I don't know why they believe its not an option. I think because its a FIFA/GVT led project which must simply go ahead from a gvt point of view. When the project has national gvt backing in the form of R2 billion rand the GPCA and its 200 members have a lot to go up against.

Of course newlands is a viable alternative. Vip tents/areas at sahara park, a train station at the stadium. I get the feeling that its a national project but the its the city's responsibility to deal with objections/appeals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement