SUBURBAN | Development News - Page 103 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Milwaukee

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2020, 03:57 PM   #2041
MKERevival
Just a Source of Opinion

Likes (Received): 5854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatnurd View Post
MKERevival, You might be more credible and likable if you stopped calling fellow posters vulgar names. That is no way to convince others you are serious. In the corporate world, you would lose your audience at hello. There are far more important things in life to get so upset over. This is not one of them. Your love and want for success of Milwaukee is loud and clear. Your dislike of the suburbs and those that display any champion for them are astounding. Everyone who posts here enjoys development for the metropolitan area and does not wish any component of it to fail.
Pot, meet kettle. So you can insult me, and mock me, but then if I call you out for being an ass, I'm the bad guy.

LMFAO. The right loves faux victimism.

Also, maybe actually pay attention to my posts. I'm actually fairly vocal about both the burbs and the city needing quality jobs and quality corporate citizens, and at least celebrating when companies choose to at least not move out of the metro.

Wisconsin Breweries Map: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1075...jWnONeAyafvqLw

dtloken liked this post
MKERevival no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2020, 05:07 PM   #2042
dtloken

Likes (Received): 1249

I’m not anti-burbs, but I am vehemently against sprawl, especially so when highway infrastructure has been built to the city’s detriment. If Brookfield were to make a sincere plan for actually making it into a real place with walkable neighborhoods I’d cheerlead that in a heartbeat. Also I’m going to keep skewering the more conservative suburbs as long as they keep electing politicians that meddle in Milwaukee’s local affairs and screw us on revenue & transportation funding.

eaglesfant37 liked this post
dtloken está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2020, 06:35 PM   #2043
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 295

IMHO, one of the best things that could happen statewide in Wisconsin, and this is most decidedly not just a metro Milwaukee issue, rather something that affects every metro in the state, is something to eliminate the divides between the central cities and their suburbs - this divide is something that works to the economic detriment of the entire state.

I am quite envious of those states where their central cities cover most or all of their respective metro areas.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2020, 06:59 PM   #2044
dtloken

Likes (Received): 1249

Minneapolis?
dtloken está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2020, 07:18 PM   #2045
MKE-MSP-CHI

Likes (Received): 5139

So many thoughts / questions here...

1. I'm curious how other WI metro's central cities are perceived by their suburbs. How does Wausau / La Crosse / Eau Claire get treated / represented by its suburbs? Or...because these metros are all just slightly over 100K, is that divide is not as pronounced or relevant (i.e. there aren't enough representatives to target the city?) Does suburban Green Bay actively push for legislation that hamstrings its ability to tax, have mass transit, etc? Or (based on my reading of the GB board) does GB have competition but not acrimony with its suburbs? It feels anyways that the Brown County Board has buy in from many communities. How does this work in a multi-polar metro like the Fox Cities that don't have a single central city that dominates? How does this work in Madison where the suburbs tend to be more liberal than their Milwaukee counterparts?

2. How do you stop this extreme partisan divide? A needed first step is a non-partisan redistricting based on this census. So long as the party in charge controls redistricting - WI is never going to have accurate representation. The GOP has no interest in ever giving up power and is using every dirty trick they can to keep it - lame duck laws, extreme gerrymandering, voter roll purges, strict ID laws targeting black and brown voters, felony voting bans, court packing, and the current veto proof legislative majority. Redistricting means BOTH parties will have to compromise and that the legislature will need to work with the governor.

3. Because WI has only one (1) 1st class city - Milwaukee, WI can pass laws affecting only first class cities without ever explicitly naming Milwaukee. The state needs to have uniform powers for every city that eliminate unfair funding formulas and afford the same taxation mechanisms for EVERY city. The state needs to re-evaluate its residency requirements and voucher programs which yes, are explicitly designed to hurt Milwaukee and help its suburbs. Milwaukee would have doubtless grown in this census has residency remained, and that loss of representation also means less formula funding.

4) The state also needs to push for new revenue mechanisms and get off their fake moral high horse when it comes to Marijuana - with funding doing more for cross metro + county collaboration. The more intra-regional efforts exist, the more people will realize their shared destiny. The state needs to overturn a ban on RTAs that cross counties - because once again, this really only impacts Milwaukee (the state's other metros are largely one county areas with the exception of Appleton - Oshkosh). Transit also links regions, so ideally there'd be rail between the major cities like Madison - Milwaukee, and a Milwaukee-Fox Cities-Green bay line.

5) The state needs to be realistic of the economic challenges and opportunities of every region. It is simply not wise to do business as usual in rural areas actively losing population. IF people are to remain, they need to embrace a new economic reality - green energy production, new or emerging crops such as help cultivation for CBD products. Similarly, the state needs to be honest and realize that the UW system is among the best things it's ever done, and that Madison's status as a high growth tech + medical region is because WI used to invest in the UW system. Doubling down on the state system (both 4 and 2 year) is going to yield the greatest returns. Simply demonizing liberal regions that actually create jobs is benefiting no one, least of all worsening rural areas.

6) The state needs new blood. It needs people who don't have the baggage of Milwaukee vs Metro. Who don't know about it, and frankly don't care what Belling or Sykes have to say about anything. New people who don't have the defeatist or worse, punitive attitude towards Milwaukee. We need immigrants. We need refugees. The state should do whatever it can to get back to early 2000's levels of refugee resettlement and immigration. Why? Because WI is old and getting older, and we have more jobs than we can fill at present. And you need working age people to pay into retirement systems and fund government benefits. The state has a low immigration rate and a low business formation rate (albeit higher survival rate). It's not a coincidence. Immigrants create jobs. NLE is fantastic example of this, starting from a humble painting business to soon begin on the tallest building of its kind in the Western Hemisphere. I don't know, MAYBE we should be marketing ourselves now as a climate resilient state with ample fresh water to countries and companies around the globe.

7) Consider eliminating single family zoning statewide. Chances are most suburbs will remain unaffected as demand drives what's built. But think about what that could do for density if not every rezoning is a lengthy political fight of NIMBY angst. More density inclined places could retrofit themselves much more quickly. I understand folks thing everything here caters to young, urban professionals who happen to be more liberal. And the you're right. Because cities and regions who do attract these kind of people are the ones who are growing, not those rapidly graying that care more about resentment politics than actually bettering themselves.

Last edited by MKE-MSP-CHI; January 22nd, 2020 at 09:12 PM.
MKE-MSP-CHI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2020, 12:25 AM   #2046
GoMUGo

Likes (Received): 194

West Allis is really turning the corner! Looks like it will be a great development if they can find the right tenants but really like the mass timber movement!

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwauke..._news_headline

dtloken, eaglesfant37, MKERevival liked this post
GoMUGo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2020, 01:24 AM   #2047
eaglesfant37

Likes (Received): 2365

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMUGo View Post
West Allis is really turning the corner! Looks like it will be a great development if they can find the right tenants but really like the mass timber movement!

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwauke..._news_headline
Definitely, within a 10 block radius, there are hundreds of new luxury apartments under construction and more proposed. I really think West Allis should lobby for true rapid transit between it and downtown. It's only a few miles, but the bus can take almost an hour. It would drive demand to live there among young people even higher.

thedudetheguytheman, Crankbaiter liked this post
eaglesfant37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2020, 05:21 PM   #2048
MKE-MSP-CHI

Anyone else hate that Cobalt is demoing the massive Alice Chalmers building? There's a huge surface lot just north that could probably accommodate the whole thing. West Allis is happy to see the first real of development in many years, but they'll look back and be upset at their lack of foresight here. Many rehab uses including some affordable housing. Agree with folks on a BRT line once proof of concept happens in Tosa.
Old January 24th, 2020, 06:39 PM   #2049
eaglesfant37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-MSP-CHI View Post
Anyone else hate that Cobalt is demoing the massive Alice Chalmers building? There's a huge surface lot just north that could probably accommodate the whole thing. West Allis is happy to see the first real of development in many years, but they'll look back and be upset at their lack of foresight here. Many rehab uses including some affordable housing. Agree with folks on a BRT line once proof of concept happens in Tosa.
I assumed it was being built on that massive surface lot. I thought the Alice Chalmers building had offices in it? I couldn't read the article because it is behind the pay wall.
Old January 24th, 2020, 07:44 PM   #2050
MKE-MSP-CHI

No, they're tearing down most, if not all of the 7 story building fronting 70th for a generic hotel and two new (cool looking, but again generic) office buildings. Somehow, they decided to keep the old West Allis SD building that was built in the 50's and has zero architectural merit. They're re-purposing the brick for "paving" on a public plaza and creating an exhibit about what they just destroyed. At least the rest of the complex further east is not part of the redevelopment efforts...Immediately east of the office buildings, they're replacing surface lots with...two parking garages, and Cobalt is REALLY highlighting the fact that parking will be free. Existing tenants in the Alice Chalmers are moving to the old SD building.

I guess what I don't understand is why not keep the existing buildings, continue to have them as office or sell them off. Why not use the ample surface lots both immediately North and East for the hotel and office buildings. And West Allis, why don't they insist on paid parking (which would help a prospective BRT route) and historic preservation. I think any city that wants to create (or re-create) a downtown absolutely needs to preserve what's unique, re-impose a grid (it's already there, it's just shopping center road), double down on transit options, and (for the love of god) remove surface lots before tearing anything down.

If I had the money, I'd tear down the shopping center at Greenfield & 70th, create a central park (with 2-3 floors of underground parking) fronted by mixed use buildings. I'd build the mixed use on existing parking lots with a large retail floor plans so existing big box in the shopping center would have the option of relocating, thus freeing up next phases for redevelopment. The best part is, no NIMBYs (at least in theory) because there isn't much residential there for now. It'd take a lot of money, probably in the range of $350-500M, you'd have a full fledged downtown done right that has walkability, density, character, and staying power.

eaglesfant37 liked this post
Old January 24th, 2020, 07:45 PM   #2051
hybridy

Likes (Received): 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfant37 View Post
I assumed it was being built on that massive surface lot. I thought the Alice Chalmers building had offices in it? I couldn't read the article because it is behind the pay wall.
https://www.rinka.com/allis-yards

Old January 24th, 2020, 07:50 PM   #2052
MKE-MSP-CHI

Idk, maybe scratch what I wrote...Still looks like they're tearing down a substantial amount of the original buildings for this though...
Old January 24th, 2020, 08:04 PM   #2053
eaglesfant37

I'm having trouble figuring out where exactly this building is. Does anyone know the cross street? The generic buildings in the background are throwing me off.
Old January 24th, 2020, 08:11 PM   #2054
eaglesfant37

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfant37 View Post
I'm having trouble figuring out where exactly this building is. Does anyone know the cross street? The generic buildings in the background are throwing me off.
Nvm, figured it out. Looks like they'll be destroying at least half of the building. The reason I was thrown off is because where the curved building is at the bottom of the rendering, there is actually a gigantic surface lot (the lot I thought it was being built on). So, instead of two buildings across the intersection from the plaza which would make for an urban feel, there will actually be two surface lots. Nothing like a plaza surrounded by surface lots on two sides!

MKERevival liked this post
Old January 24th, 2020, 09:03 PM   #2055
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 6385

Looks pretty sweet.
mbradleyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2020, 12:23 AM   #2056
hybridy

Likes (Received): 602

Why the inward focused plaza? It will take any critical mass of lounging/dining/pedestrians off of S 70th. I guess it's better than surface lots though. Is Colbat asking for taxpayer subsidies for the parking decks?

MKERevival liked this post
hybridy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement