SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Random Chicago Discussion

254K views 680 replies 123 participants last post by  xzmattzx 
#1 ·
#660 ·
Does anyone have connections at Goosefoot? I'd love to get a reservation for two for the Friday after Christmas, but there isn't anything available over at least an 8 week period. :(

#661 ·
Record-Breaking Cold Grips Chicago

-15 recorded at O'Hare at 7 a.m. breaks existing low set on this date in 1894 and 1988

The warnings from government officials were stern: stay inside if you can, limit your time outside and don't drive unless absolutely necessary.

Temperatures in the wake of a stubborn weather pattern that dropped several inches of snow could be summed up in a single word: brutal. At 7 a.m., O'Hare International Airport recorded a temperature of -15, breaking a record low of -14 set on this date in both 1894 and 1988. By 8:30 a.m., the official Chicago temperature had dipped another degree, to -16.

With the wind chill factored in, Monday's temperatures were predicted to be in the -40 to -50 degree range and even lower across the Fox Valley. By midday, the lowest recorded wind chill was in Aurora, at -47 degrees. DuPage and Porter recorded -46 degrees and O'Hare reported -42 degrees.

A Wind Chill Warning that began at 6 p.m. Sunday was scheduled to remain in effect until noon Tuesday.

There's also a possibility that even the high temperature for the Chicago area could set a new record low. The all-time lowest high temp was -11 on Jan. 18, 1994, and Dec. 24, 1983.

The last time O'Hare recorded a sub-zero high was Jan.15, 2009, with -1 degrees, according to National Weather Service meteorologists.

For comparison, Monday's forecasted high for Barrow, Alaska was 0 degrees.

[...]
Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/weather/stories/Dangerous-Cold-Temps-Chicago-238467651.html#ixzz2pgKCavfA

#669 ·
The John Hancock Center is being considered for a landmark designation. Something that could get in the way of that potential landmark designation is a proposal to revamp the sunken plaza to its west. The revamp includes an attention-grabbing cluster of glass pylons and a Jumbotron-like video wall.

The owner of the commercial portion of the John Hancock Center, Stephen Hearn, stated that the landmark status could interfere with the planned plaza makeover.

An ellipse-shaped cluster of 54-foot-tall triangular prisms along the plaza's eastern edge. The prisms and glass walls would enclose a recording studio in the plaza. Above it is a new pedestrian overlook. The curving stairs on the plaza's west side would be replaced by a video screen showing sports events and movies.

Source: Chicago Tribune

#679 ·
I remember the good ole days. People just loved to hate the burbs. They just couldn't grasp that people generally don't like to live in very dense environments with majority bad schools, higher crime rates, public transportation. I could go on. Now that cities across USA including Chicago are dying maybe they will have learned something.

#681 ·
I may be in Chicago later this spring to visit a friend. If I wanted some lesser-known Chicago food besides deep dish pizza or hot dogs, what are some good restaurants? I have heard of the gym show sandwich, so I would like to try one of those. What's the best place to get a gym shoe sandwich?