SkyscraperCity Forum banner
136K views 187 replies 103 participants last post by  Odin82 
#1 · (Edited)
My favorite skyscrapers are ones from the early 1900's. New York has the best collection of them by far. Chicago has a few. However, can you post photos of such buildings (of at least 30 stories) from your city?

Here are some of my favorites in NY:

40 Wall Street

The Municipal Building

The old city hall which dates from 1802 sits across the street from it

The San Remo

20 Exchange Place

Federal Courthouse

While not skyscrapers, the Surrogates Court and the Tweed Courthouse across the street are awesome

120 Broadway

Bankers Trust

Bankers Trust at ground level (on right hand side)

Sherry Netherland and the Pierre

Woolworth

The Beresford

Metlife

New York Life

The Flatiron

The El Dorado (which looks a lot like the San Remo (also on CPW))

American Radiator

General Electric

Standard Oil

The Trinity Building (named after Trinity Church next door)

Trinity Church with the Trinity Building in the background

No introduction needed

The Crown Building

55 Liberty Street

The Helmsley

The Carlyle

The Ansonia

See less See more
#165 ·
Let's go over to neighbouring Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh is a little treasure trove of historic high-rises. Here are the highrises buildings of over 100m, I'll get to the taller ones later.

(pictures from Wikipedia)

Frick building, 101m, completed: 1902

Oliver Building, 106m, completed 1910

Bell Telephone Building, 103m, completed: 1923

#167 ·
Now, on to the towers in Pittsburgh that are actual skyscrapers per the modern definition.

The magnificient Cathedral of Learning by the University of Pittsburgh.
163m (2nd tallest educational building in the world), completed: 1936

I'll dedicate an entire post about this beauty.
All pics from Wikipedia

Common room:

View from the top:

The cathedral has a number of "nationality rooms" with interiors according to the specified nation. New ones are still being added as well!

Chinese

Austrian

English

German

Etc, etc. There are too many great interior pictures to show here, so I greatly recommend visiting the Wikipedia page!

#182 ·
In Pittsburgh (USA), a really amazing building!
TM_Germany give us some information some post before (tanks ;))

Now, on to the towers in Pittsburgh that are actual skyscrapers per the modern definition.

The magnificient Cathedral of Learning by the University of Pittsburgh.
163m (2nd tallest educational building in the world), completed: 1936

I'll dedicate an entire post about this beauty.
All pics from Wikipedia

Common room:

View from the top:

The cathedral has a number of "nationality rooms" with interiors according to the specified nation. New ones are still being added as well!

Chinese

Austrian

English

German

Etc, etc. There are too many great interior pictures to show here, so I greatly recommend visiting the Wikipedia page!

#183 ·
Book Tower, Detroit, Michigan, United States.

Here we have another fine example of the so called ''early skyscrapers''. I think it is a lovely example...and also too much wretched. When we see those skyscrapers, or at least, when I see them, their voluptuosity sometimes use to conceal a not so bright trajectory of them through their years... above all when we talk about Detroit. How can it be possible that this beauty can be currently empty...abandoned...? That breaks my heart. Does someone know any news about it?

Argh...as you can see in this detail image of the roof, the green copper roofing is being chipped!

Restauration works?

Neo-renaissance/Neo-baroque/Beaux-arts ornamentation detail...delicious...

Old postcard from the roaring twenties:

All photos are from wikipedia.
What do you think about it? I personally love the skyscrapers from the 10s and 20s of the XX century. There are much others that have experienced a much more better chance than this poor Book Tower...

#185 · (Edited)
Book Tower, Detroit, Michigan, United States.
Here we have another fine example of the so called ''early skyscrapers''. I think it is a lovely example...and also too much wretched. When we see those skyscrapers, or at least, when I see them, their voluptuosity sometimes use to conceal a not so bright trajectory of them through their years... above all when we talk about Detroit. How can it be possible that this beauty can be currently empty...abandoned...? That breaks my heart. Does someone know any news about it?

Neo-renaissance/Neo-baroque/Beaux-arts ornamentation detail...delicious...
Old postcard from the roaring twenties:
What do you think about it?

^^^
Magnificent indeed. Maybe these fire steps spoil the appearance of the building in Detroit a bit.
I will give another similar object but in NY - GRAND CENTRAL TERMINAL

inside

outside

nice eagle detail in front of GCT

Helmsley Building aka New York Central Building
230 Park Avenue
New York City
172 m, 35 Floors

Original headquarters of the New York Central Railroad.
Sold for $1.15 Billion in 2007.

You can't imagine the inside, it's like a true palace. Marble walls, bronze details, wood moldings, and painted murals.
An aerial highway for cars passes through the building near the bottom!
Ofcourse!

Where in the whole SSC forum can I find a thread about New York Central Building The Helmsley. It's such a great skyscraper. I searched and did not find. One of the favorites to be called the prettiest towers in the world, not high but proportionate and clean in style. Classic!

#188 · (Edited)
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Was browsing the posts as I'm trying to identify a picture of a building that was used in a movie (1408). Thought I should post and inquire if anybody here recognises it and able to identify it?

I've been google street viewing all around Manhattan trying to find a building that matches, but with no luck.

Edit: Solved. New York Marriott East Side. Formerly The Halloran House and Shelton Towers.

Built a hotel to the side blocking the side used in the postcard in the film.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.