SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Chicagoland Airports | MDW/GYY/ORD/RFD

189K views 357 replies 86 participants last post by  JMBasquiat 
#1 ·
FAA endorses Chicago's plan to expand O'Hare Airport, but opponents vow legal action
By MIKE COLIAS
29 July 2005

CHICAGO (AP) - The Federal Aviation Administration has endorsed the city's $15 billion effort to expand O'Hare International Airport and reduce the nation's worst flight delays, but the plan still faces opposition from communities that would be gutted to build new runways and taxiways.

Mayor Richard Daley said construction would begin immediately after the FAA gives final approval for the plan, which is expected by September. The agency endorsed the plan Thursday in its environmental impact statement.

"When we reduce delays at O'Hare, it will speed up air travel throughout the nation, saving millions of dollars in time and fuel," Daley said.

But a 440-acre expansion would require the city to buy and raze more than 500 homes, displacing some 2,600 residents, and would require relocation of nearly 200 businesses and a cemetery with 1,300 tombs dating back to the 1800s.

"You cannot approve a project that can't be paid for and would cause more delays than it solves," said Joe Karaganis, an attorney for Elk Grove Village and Bensenville, suburbs that have fiercely fought O'Hare expansion for decades.

Jared Leland, an attorney for the owners of the threatened cemetery, said his clients would sue if the FAA decides in favor of the plan.

Congestion at delay-prone O'Hare can quickly cause gridlock throughout the U.S. commercial aviation system. A Transportation Department study released earlier this year ranked O'Hare last in on-time departures and arrivals during 2004, with 30 percent of flights arriving late and 73 percent departing on time.

The plan's opponents claim the city has exaggerated the benefits of expanding the airport and lowballed the cost.

A report released last week by the U.S. Department of Transportation's inspector general also said the city has underestimated the project's cost, which could affect funding for airports nationwide because cities compete for money from the same federal program.

In addition, the report said the city has applied for an "unprecedented" $528 million in grants for the project, along with an additional $248 million for capital improvements over the next 20 years.

Daley on Thursday insisted that the city will have the funds to complete the expansion. Federal money would cover about 10 percent of the total cost, while revenue bonds and passenger facility charges would make up the rest, he said.

A cost-benefit analysis the city submitted to the FAA earlier this year projected the expansion would save more than $12 billion over nearly two decades by reducing passenger and aircraft delays -- a finding opponents deny.

The eight-year plan would reconfigure O'Hare's intersecting runway layout to a design of six parallel and two diagonal runways, which planners say would make it easier for planes to take off and land. The plan also includes a new terminal building, parking spaces for oversize planes and jet bridges.

The first new runway would open in 2007 and construction would be complete in 2013. The FAA report determined the project would result in only minimal impacts on air and water quality and noise levels.

To solve the gridlock problem at O'Hare, some politicians have proposed a third airport in the Chicago area. In April, Gov. Rod Blagojevich gave federal aviation officials a blueprint for a single-runway, five-gate airport near the town of Peotone. The airport would eventually expand to four runways and 12 gates and would be tailor-made for discount carriers.

Many aviation experts, however, are skeptical a third airport would draw the interest of airlines or passengers.

See less See more
#28 · (Edited)
Earth Week Activities at Chicago's Airports -- Public Electric Vehicle Charging Station Open at O'Hare International Airport

http://www.ohare.com/PDF/News/1105206336549%5B1%5D.html

The Chicago Department of Aviation (CDA) is recognizing Earth Week (April 18- 22) by highlighting some of the many sustainability initiatives at O'Hare and Midway International Airports.

Today's featured initiative is a public electric vehicle (EV) charging station now open at O'Hare International Airport. The EV charging station is a Level 2 station, which will fully charge a vehicle in approximately four to eight hours. The EV charging station is located in Hourly Parking, on the first floor of the main Terminal Parking Garage, immediately adjacent to the parking garage entrance to/from the Bus/Shuttle Center.

The O'Hare EV charging station was installed as part of a City-wide network of 280 EV charging stations. The Citywide EV charging station project is the first and largest of its kind in the United States. The Chicago Department of Environment (DOE) and a private company, 350Green, are facilitating the implementation of this important project.

At the Citywide announcement of the EV charging station project in February 2011, Mayor Richard M. Daley said, "Chicago is on the cutting edge of national efforts to prepare for electric vehicles. When this project is completed, Chicago will have the most DC quick-charging stations of any city in the country, with only the entire State of California surpassing our station numbers."

Credit cards are accepted for the EV charging station usage fees, which average $2 for 90 minutes of charging time. You can also sign up for a monthly user subscription with 350 Green. Please visit www.350green.com for more information.

"As an industry leader for sustainability initiatives, the Chicago Department of Aviation is pleased to offer electric vehicle charging station capability to motorists visiting O'Hare International Airport," said CDA Commissioner Rosemarie S. Andolino. "With more than 80 million passengers each year, Chicago's airports are an important part of this Citywide initiative."

#30 ·
great pics!! i love it!! hope to see this airport soon!!

#33 · (Edited)
International Destinations served directly from Chicago O' Hare (ORD):

Amsterdam
Aruba (seasonal)
Beijing-Capital
Brussels
Calgary
Cancún
Cozumel (seasonal)
Edmonton
Frankfurt
Halifax
Hong Kong
London-Heathrow
Liberia (Costa Rica) (seasonal)
Mexico City
Munich
Montego Bay (seasonal)
Montreal-Trudeau
Ottawa
Paris-Charles de Gaulle
Puerto Vallarta
Punta Cana (seasonal)
Quebec City
Regina
San José del Cabo (seasonal)
São Paulo-Guarulhos
Saskatoon
Shanghai-Pudong
Singapore
St. Maarten (seasonal)
Tokyo-Narita
Toronto-Pearson
Vancouver
Winnipeg

Beijing-Capital
Brussels
Calgary (seasonal)
Cancun (seasonal)
Cozumel (seasonal)
Delhi
Dublin
Helsinki (seasonal)
London-Heathrow
Manchester (UK)
Mexico City
Montego Bay (seasonal)
Montreal-Trudeau
Ottawa
Paris-Charles de Gaulle
Puerto Vallarta (seasonal)
Rome-Fiumicino (seasonal)
San José del Cabo (seasonal)
Shanghai-Pudong
Tokyo-Narita
Toronto-Pearson

Cancun
Huatulco
Liberia
Montego Bay
Puerto Vallarta

#34 ·
Swift Air to commence flights from Chicago to Croatia`s capital Zagreb
http://www.paylessflights.com/en/articles/Swift-Air-to-commence-flights-from-Chicago-to-Croatia%60s-capital-Zagreb/334/index.html

Swift Air has been issued with a license to commence flights from Chicago O’Hare International Airport to Zagreb Pleso Airport. The service, which is being chartered by the Fly Air Plus tour operator, will commence on June 3, two weeks before the same airline commences services to Belgrade. The Chicago – Zagreb service will operate every Friday until September 14, using the Boeing 767-200ER. The airline will operate flights from Chicago with a similar departure time as the service to Belgrade, while the departure time on the return leg will differ slightly, leaving the Croatian capital on Sunday morning. Flight details will soon be available on the right hand side in the new route launches section. The Chicago – Belgrade flight times can be found here.

The “Jutarnji list” daily writes that North American Airlines was offered an array of subsidies to commence services from New York to the Croatian capital this summer, however, the airline declined, stating there would be no interest.

There have been no direct flights from Zagreb to the United States since 1991. In its golden years of the late 1980s, JAT Yugoslav Airlines operated flights from Zagreb to New York, Chicago, Toronto and Montreal. In recent years, the now defunct Skyservice offered seasonal summer flights from Toronto to Zagreb.

#35 ·

This is a map depicting an extension of the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway to the site of a proposed West Terminal for O'Hare Airport. It also depicts the proposed O'Hare Ring Road. Both are Interstate standard. The existing section of Elgin-O'Hare will be extended from four lanes to six or possibly eight. The Elgin-O'Hare Expressway may possibly be extended west to Elgin.

Now I see there has been no final design unveiled for the new West Terminal. I was wondering what is under construction at O'Hare currently?

#37 ·
Now I see there has been no final design unveiled for the new West Terminal. I was wondering what is under construction at O'Hare currently?
Right now they are just reconfiguring the runways. For now I think the airport has put the construction of the new terminal on hold.

#36 ·
Copa Airlines is set to start new direct flights to Panama City from Chicago in December.

Copa Airlines announces new daily nonstop service between Chicago and Panama

Copa Airlines will begin daily nonstop flights to Chicago, the airline's sixth U.S. destination, on Dec.15, 2011.

By the end of 2011, Copa Holdings (Copa Airlines and Copa Colombia) will serve 57 destinations in 28 countries on the American continent.

http://www.copaair.com/sites/us/en/noticias/Pages/nuevo-destino-chicago.aspx

Panama City, Panama, June 13, 2011--Copa Airlines, subsidiary of Copa Holdings, S.A., {NYSE: CPA} today announced it will begin daily nonstop service between Chicago O'Hare and Panama, Republic of Panama, on Dec. 15, 2011.

Chicago will be Copa Airlines' sixth destination in the U.S. The airline announced the new service today at a news conference in New York to celebrate Copa's five years on the New York Stock Exchange and to announce the airline's expansion plans.

"Our daily nonstop service will facilitate access between Chicago and Panama, two major business and tourism centers, as well as increase Chicagoans' connectivity to destinations throughout Latin America," said Pedro Heilbron, CEO, Copa Airlines. "In Panama, passengers will be able to connect to other Latin American business and leisure markets. Our new Chicago flight, an important part of Copa's ambitious expansion plan, will offer the fastest and most direct way to fly from Chicago to Santiago, Chile; to Cali, Barranquilla, Medellin and Bogotá, Colombia; and to many other destinations in Latin America."

The flight will depart Chicago's O'Hare International Airport at 8:09 a.m., arriving at Copa's Hub of the Americas in Tocumen International Airport in Panama City at 2:28 p.m. The return flight will depart Panama at 6:34 p.m., arriving in Chicago at 11:06 p.m. Copa will operate a Boeing 737-700 Next-Generation aircraft on the flight, with seating for 12 passengers in Business Class and 112 in the main cabin.

From the Hub of the Americas, Copa Airlines offers flights to more international destinations than any other airline from any other hub in the Latin American region. Passengers can make convenient connections to destinations throughout Latin America and the Caribbean, without customs/immigration waits for in-transit passengers.

Copa's on-board service includes complimentary meals and beverages, including wines and spirits; a 12-channel audio-visual entertainment system in English, Spanish and Portuguese, with new movies monthly and complimentary headsets. Flight attendants are bilingual.

The airline operates one of the youngest and most modern fleets in the industry and its on-time performance of more than 90 percent is among the best worldwide. Passengers may purchase tickets at copaair.com in U.S. dollars, as well as nine other currencies and can earn rewards through the OnePass frequent-flyer program shared with alliance partner United-Continental. Copa Airlines will join Star Alliance, the world's largest global alliance, in April 2012.

Copa expansion plans announced today include the addition of two other destinations in December (Cucuta, Colombia; and Asuncion, Paraguay), bringing the airline's total of new destinations in 2011 to seven. Copa begins service this month to Toronto, Canada, its first Canadian destination, as well as Porto Alegre and Brasilia, Brazil, and Nassau, Bahamas. In addition, the airline announced it will expand operations at its Hub of the Americas on June 15, growing from four to six connecting banks, providing passengers with more flight options during the day and bolstering the Hub of the Americas' leadership in the region in schedules and frequencies. The airline's expansion plans include the delivery of 23 new aircraft in the next two years.

"Copa Airlines is one of the most successful and fastest-growing airlines worldwide. We have a long record of steady and profitable growth, having established our position as a leader in Latin American aviation by providing the best connectivity in the region, unsurpassed operational performance, and superior customer service," said CEO Heilbron.

From the U.S., Copa Airlines currently offers nonstop service to Panama from Miami, New York City (JFK), Los Angeles, Washington, D.C. (Dulles), and Orlando.

#40 ·
Here is my top 5 reasons why I really don't like O'Hare:

5. Having to pay for wifi and chronic lack of power sockets
4. Your culinary options: McDonalds, Pizza Hut or that news stand which also sells M&M's.
3. Unkind ground staff, passport control always giving me hassle because of the Arab, Chinese and Russian visa's
2. Waiting lines up to an hour for safety inspections and passport control.
1. Signage. The town's drunk must have been in charge of this one. Expect to be routed through parking garages on your way to the metro, or direction signs which just mysteriously disappear.

#41 ·
Most of your reasons for disliking O'Hare can be found at any large hub in the US though. Honestly from my experience Atlanta is much worse for this in my opinion regarding Immigration and Customs holdups, rude employees, etc.

#42 ·
That I agree, although in all fairness most US airports were built in a time which doesn't really reflect the current idea of pleasant or secure air travel. But upgrading seems to be a dirty word in airport-land. Especially compared to some of the new airports in Asia or the Middle East, American ones are functional at best. At least O'Hare has a direct train connection the Loop. At both Newark and New York La Guardia you're at the mercy of the taxi drivers, so you find yourself being happy to have found a $150 flight only to pay 2 x $60 (plus toll) for the cab ride into town. Why no one ever bothered to properly connect these airports with Manhattan is a complete mystery to me.

#43 ·
I agree US airports leave alot to be desired overall although the major European hubs are just as bad in my experience (other than the extensive rail links to the city center).

Also on a side note Newark actually has a rail connection to Manhattan via the Newark Airtrain and New Jersey Transit commuter trains which take you directly into Penn Station.

http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=AirportConnectionsTo

#51 ·
love this airport ... hope i can visit it once .. soonnnn

#55 · (Edited)
I figured I should include Midway Airport into this thread as well since Chicago Midway is also one of the busiest airports in the US and a the largest focus city for Southwest Airlines and hosts other Low Cost Carriers such as Air Tran as well. This airport mostly handles domestic traffic with a few exceptions noted below. This airport is also much closer in than O' Hare and the airport actually pre-dates O' Hare (which opened to passenger traffic in the 1960's) since it opened in 1923. Aside from Southwest Airlines other US Airlines serving this airport include Air Tran, Delta, and Frontier.

Foreign Airlines serving Chicago Midway (MDW) as of 2011:

Some photos of the airport.

#60 ·
Well, I don't agree. Having US so called "green card" and flying quite often to London and back to visit relatives and to have same fun there I was questioned in a very rude manner what's for me in London, why I fly there so often etc. And in a winter time my Mom visiting me had to wait in a passport control line for two an a half hours! Not to mention the unnaceptable food-court area, too small for such a big airport and almost non-existing on arrivals level.

I don't recommend flying to ORD on international flight.

#61 ·
^^ So you have had one bad experience? Okay

Anyways lets just keep this thread orientated on new developments at O' Hare and Midway. If you have a complaint about the airport just create a new thread somewhere.

#62 ·
Why only developments? I find comments about quality of service (food, shopping, waiting times and facilities etc.) quite useful. If you add food franchises do you count it as a development or just service improvement?
New airline. Is it development?

BTW the thread title is: "MDW/ORD | Chicago Area Airports"
It doesn't say anything about "developments only". :eek:hno:

#66 ·
Air France, Alitalia to suspend service out of O'Hare
By Robert Channick
7:06 p.m. CDT, July 12, 2011
By Robert Channick
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-air-france-alitalia-to-suspend-service-out-of-ohare-20110712,0,7034411.story?obref=obinsite

7:06 p.m. CDT, July 12, 2011
Terminal 5 at O'Hare International Airport will have a little less of an international flavor this winter. Two major European carriers, Alitalia and Air France-KLM, will temporarily suspend direct service out of Chicago in response to high fuel prices and sagging seasonal demand.

Alitalia will ground its daily Chicago-to-Rome route in December, with plans to resume service in April. And Air France-KLM will halt its daily Chicago-to-Paris flight from October to March, with Delta Air Lines taking over the route in the interim.

O'Hare International Airport "Air France saw where they could use that aircraft more profitably somewhere else," said Trebor Banstetter, a Delta spokesman. "Because Delta has actually cut back on a number of trans-Atlantic winter routes, we had that plane available."

The three, along with KLM, the Dutch airline that merged with Air France in 2004, are part of a venture to share capacity, bookings and profits on service between North America and Europe. The cutbacks are an effort to reduce trans-Atlantic capacity by about 10 percent this winter in the face of rising fuel costs, which have grown 51 percent in the last year, according to the International Air Transport Association.

"Jet fuel prices have gone up incredibly this year, and these flights are very costly to operate from a fuel basis," Banstetter said. "We've brought down our capacity somewhat during the winter season because that's when demand for flying drops quite a bit."

Launched in 1997 by KLM and Northwest Airlines, which merged with Delta in 2008, the venture took full flight in 2009 with the coordinated service between Air France-KLM and Delta. Alitalia joined last year, giving the venture 26 percent of the airline industry's trans-Atlantic capacity.