SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Chicago Skyscrapers - U/C, Proposed, and Approved

354K views 854 replies 95 participants last post by  elliot42 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Chicago Skyscrapers - U/C, Proposed, and Approved

I realized that most people don't know what they are currently building in Chicago, so I made this list

Proposed and U/C Towers 150m+

• 625 W. Monroe - up to 75 floors

• Old Post Office Redevelopment - 600m - 120 floors, 300m - 100 floors, 60 floors

• River Point - 198 meters - 45 floors - U/C

• 435 N Park - 193 meters - 54 floors - U/C

• 111 West Wacker - 192 meters - 59 floors - U/C

• Wolf Point Tower 1 - 290m+ - 80 floors

• Wolf Point Tower 2 - 228 meters + - 60 floors

[No renders available yet]

• Wolf Point Tower 3 - 160 meters - 525 ft - 50 floors

• 400 West Randolph - 213 meters - 50 floors

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buildings under 150m

• Hubbard Place - 139m - 45 floors - T/O

• 500 N Lake Shore Drive - 142m - 45 FLOORS - T/O

• Coast at Lakeshore East - 130m - 49 floors - Completed

• Optima Center Chicago - U/C

• Lincoln Park 2520 - 141 meters - 39 floors - Completed

• The Ritz-Carlton Residences - 151m - 40 floors - Completed

• Roosevelt Tower - 143m - 32 floors - Completed

• AMLI River North - 161m - 49 floors - T/O

• 73 East Lake - U/C

• K2 at K Station - Completed

• Sono Chicago 2

• The Admiral At The Lake

--------------------------------------------------------

Proposals added from SSP - Compiled by i_am_hydrogen

601 West Monroe - Cancelled

[project reduced to single tower at 625 W. Monroe]

29-39 South Lasalle

130 N. Franklin

•[url=_____]465 North Park Drive

533 North St. Clair

Lighthouse at Montrose Harbor

535 North St. Clair

Golub Building (410 East Grand)

Millennium Park Plaza

Atrium Village Phase 4 (right)

Buckingham Phase 2

Atrium Village Phase 3 (second from right)

One East Superior

Golub South Loop Apts

Atrium Village Phase 2 (second from left)

519 South Clinton

1035 West Van Buren

3660 North LSD

735 West Division

Atrium Village Phase 1 (left)

617-627 West Division

HOM

Solstice on the Park

Azure Tower

2950 North Sheridan

Hyatt Place - Clark & Grand Hotels

East West Student Life Center

Fairfield Inn & Suites - Clark & Grand Hotels

Lakeview Station II

Sheridan-Irving Park Condos

The Inn at Lincoln Park

Conservatory Tower

One South Halsted

The Andrew

171 North Wabash

Tower of Jewel

174 West Randolph

191 West Monroe

108 North Jefferson

2020 South Prairie

6400 South Stony Island

Wacker Plaza

Parkview East

212-232 West Illinois

Northwestern Outpatient Center

Union Station

Catalyst

City Hyde Park

Theater District Lofts II

State-Clark Condos

1111 North Halsted – north & south towers

Huron & Sedgewick

Aloft Millennium Park

Quadrangle Tower

Pure2o

Illiad

James Place

53rd & Cornell Tower

403 North Wabash

428 West St. James Place

3750 North Halsted

Bluewater 5440

Imperial Plaza Hotel

Marriott Hotel

9 West Erie

150 North Jefferson

Grand Station

Eco18

Om Center for the Sun

Freemont Lofts

Harper Court, Residential Tower

Parkway Point

Prairie Blocks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extra proposed buildings

• Old Post Office redevelopment - 610m - 120 floors, 80 floors, 60 floors - unapproved

• 29 South LaSalle - 265 meters - 51 floors

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On The Radar:

• 150 N. Riverside plaza - N/A

• Chicago Spire site

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicago Skyscraper Map from SSP - http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/maps/?cityID=4

Green = U/C
Blue= Proposed

I have missed some proposed buildings, so let me know if I need to add any.

See less See more
Reactions: L.A.F.2.
#3 ·
I have updated the list. Is there anyway to get this list out in the open, so people can refer to it whenever they need to ? Currently, it seems that some Chicagoan's don't even know what they are building, so I made this list to fix that. But, it seems like this has gone mostly unnoticed, so is there anyway to change that ?

Reactions: Alex The Chicagoan
#7 ·
^^

Thanks for all the hard work. We haven't had a thread like this in a long time.

Do we have an updated list of how many towers are under construction and are proposed?

Emporis says 24 under construction and 76 planned
http://www.emporis.com/city/chicago-il-usa

#8 ·
Everything on this list is updated. The River Point tower was revived a few weeks ago. I also have heard from someone who works for the firm building 400 W Randolph, and he says they are actively working on it. 375 Wacker, is supposed to be revived once the economy recovers. Clark and wacker's design isn't final, but construction will most likely start this year, and it should be above 200m. They are starting to build in less dense areas too. There are some buildings proposed for near north, west loop, and the south loop. Also Wolf Point renders should come on May 29th. A lot of the people on SSP are expecting the tallest building in the complex to be a supertall! The building will have a roof height of atleast 274 meters, it will most likely have a pinnacle of 300m+ with a spire, and could even possibly have a higher roof height. We should get all the details soon, and it is being designed by Cesar Pelli.

Regarding Emporis, there database is very accurate for completed buildings, but they have missed a lot of proposed and U/C buildings. I would say that there are a lot more buildings proposed and U/C then Emporis has. Here is a map that might help, it is still missing a ton of proposed and U/C buildings too, but it still might help - http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/maps/?cityID=4 . It is missing most of the u/c buildings though. The only way to know about all the buildings is to search skyscraper websites, and find them yourself. My list above is composed of 130m buildings and up for the most part.

Thanks for all the hard work
Your welcome. :cheers:

#11 ·
That's probably not the official design anymore for Clark and Wacker. They have been throwing around some new renderings at skyscraperpage, but at this point, we don't have an "official" renderings.

I agree about 375 Wacker (Arquitectonica designed building). The developers (in a curbed.com article months ago) seemed to imply that they were keeping the design of this building, and slating it for the next building boom. Hopefully, it'll start construction in the next several years.

#17 ·
Incredible NEWS!

About to break ground! :banana: :banana: :banana: :cheers:

Thank You Chicago_Forever from SSP for finding this!

According to Crains Chicago, Financing is in place and Hines is preparing to break ground.

Hines set to kick off 45-story office tower

By: Ryan OriMay 15, 2012

A rendering of the planned River Point tower on the Chicago River. Design and tower rendering: Pickard Chilton. Photography and context rendering: ImageFiction

(Crain's) — Hines Interests L.P. is preparing to break ground on a 45-story office tower on Chicago River without lining up tenants in advance, the first so-called spec office development in downtown Chicago in 14 years.

Read more: http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...#ixzz1uzR0rjGP
Stay up-to-date on Chicago real estate with our free, daily e-newsletter

#21 ·
There are a few more proposals that can be added...

So there are a few more office buildings that I wasn't aware of until I saw them listed on Curbed.com. They are also listed (with better renderings) on SSP page 390 of the Highrise Projects and Construction thread. Not sure if its kosher to directly link the other forum, but I'm sure you can manage. The ones that seem new are:

108 N. Jefferson St

301 S. Wacker Drive

401 S. Wacker Drive

601 W. Monroe St.

108 N. Jefferson St

222 W. Randolph

And also one of my favorite proposals:

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/...emand-of-students-and-faculty-in-the-area.php

The link to spyguy's post has a better rendering.

#22 ·
So there are a few more office buildings that I wasn't aware of until I saw them listed on Curbed.com. They are also listed (with better renderings) on SSP page 390 of the Highrise Projects and Construction thread. Not sure if its kosher to directly link the other forum, but I'm sure you can manage. The ones that seem new are:

108 N. Jefferson St

301 S. Wacker Drive

401 S. Wacker Drive

601 W. Monroe St.

108 N. Jefferson St

222 W. Randolph
I am really interested in these ones, because they will start filling in the empty area in front of the Sears.

301 S. Wacker Drive

401 S. Wacker Drive

#32 ·
Chicago Skyscraper Development Map

Excluding the building with a green border, all buildings are over 650 feet/200m.

From Left to Right

One South Halsted - 50 stories, Post office Redevelopment - (400-610m) - 120 stories, River Point - 650 feet - 45 floors, 400 West Randolph - 213 meters - 50 floors, Wolf Point Tower 1 - 270m+ - 80 floors - Wolf Point Tower 2 - 228 meters + - 60 floors - Wolf Point Tower 3 - 160 meters - 50 floors,130 North Franklin - 213m, Clark & Wacker - 200m+ - 65 floors, 435 N Park(Undecided) - 193 meters - 54 floors, 375 Wacker Drive - 256 meters - 76 floors

#38 · (Edited)
Wolf Point

Source

Touting what would be downtown Chicago’s largest new real estate development since the 2008 financial crisis, representatives of the Kennedy family and three financial partners on Tuesday provided the first glimpse of a proposed three-tower office and apartment complex on a historic but long-underutilized site along the Chicago River.

The project, whose cost is pegged at more than $1 billion, calls for a slope-roofed office building of 925 feet, which would be Chicago’s eighth-tallest structure. Another office building and an apartment high-rise would bring the project’s combined square footage to nearly 3 million square feet, more than the biggest skyscraper of the boom years, the 2.6-million-square foot Trump International Hotel & Tower.
http://www.wgnradio.com/news/local/breaking/chi-developers-give-first-glimpse-of-proposed-complex-at-wolf-point-at-junction-of-chicago-river-branches-20120529,0,827193.story

#43 ·
Fifield Plans Taller Building In The West Loop

Faced with a crowded field of developers looking to launch downtown's next office towers, developer Steve Fifield has decided to go up.

Mr. Fifield now plans to build as high as 75 stories, with up to 1.4 million square feet, on adjacent West Loop sites. Previously he pitched pitching a pair of 20-story, 490,000-square-foot structures at 601 and 625 W. Monroe St.

“Several tenants we've talked to are more interested in the larger building,” Mr. Fifield said. “If you can't fight them, join them. The idea is to go from doing medium-sized buildings with no architectural significance to a landmark-type building.”

t is a departure from Mr. Fifield's past. Although he has been on a run of apartment towers in Chicago and Los Angeles in recent years, he has put up dozens of office buildings in the West Loop and in the suburbs, most between 300,000 and 500,000 square feet. His largest was a 30-story, 645,170-square-foot tower at 200 N. LaSalle St. completed in 1984.

Mr. Fifield's thinking has evolved because of input from potential office tenants and intense competition from other developers. A recent Crain's Chicago Business case study identified more than 8.1 million square feet of proposed new office buildings downtown, far more than current demand. Proposed towers range from 350,000 to 1.2 million square feet.

[...]
Read more: http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.c...ns-taller-building-in-west-loop#ixzz2L3K2LD2M

#44 ·
Newcastle Plans 35 Story Tower Near Loyola Campus

Curbed

Newcastle Ltd. plans to build a 35-story, 367-unit apartment tower in the Gold Coast, aiming to capitalize on the scorching downtown rental market.

Newcastle Senior Vice President Peter Tortorello confirmed the Chicago-based investment firm's plan, adding that Newcastle expects to buy the parcel at the southeast corner of State and Chestnut streets from Loyola University Chicago next year and break ground by the third quarter of 2013.

Mr. Tortorello declined to say how much Newcastle has agreed to pay for the land. Proceeds from the sale will help Loyola fund construction of a 10-story, $63 million business school building immediately south of Newcastle's tower. “Chestnut is close to Michigan Avenue, close to the lake, close to all the institutions and River North,” he said. “It appeals to a wide variety of potential renters.”

The skyscraper would offer a mixture of studio units and one- and two-bedroom apartments, 185 parking slots, an amenity floor and 3,200 square feet of street-level retail space, he said.

[...]
Read more: http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.c...y-apartment-tower-in-gold-coast#ixzz2KpTqj3dU

#46 ·
Venture Seeks 23-Story Office Tower for Wells & Randolph

Curbed

Local developer J. Paul Beitler is teaming with Next Realty, owner of the parking garage at 200 W Randolph, to promote a mid-size office tower that would supplant said garage. The proposal, while beefy enough, doesn't get swept up in a pissing contest for biggest and best (for that try River Point and Wolf Point). Twenty-three stories and 400,000 square feet are sought...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.