#1 · (Edited)
Height: 349m (1144ft)
Floors: 93
Architect: Jeanne Gang(studio gang)
Developer: Magellan Development Group, and Wanda Group

NEW DESIGN

OLD DESIGN

OLDER DESIGN

Chinese property conglomerate Wanda Group plans to invest $900 million in building an 89-story five-star hotel and apartment complex in Chicago, news portal chinanews.com reported Tuesday.
The 350-meter-high building, located near Chicago's Millennium Park, will start being built this year and is expected to open to visitors in 2018 and will become the third-highest building in the city, according to the report.
http://english.sina.com/business/p/2014/0708/716632.html

See less See more
#8 ·
Nice to see development, but I'm going to need to see a better render to finalize my opinion. It looks like a rough drawing, so perhaps we might get a design change if some local input is considered. I like the three-step setback idea though, it could work well if executed in a different manner.

#11 ·
The design is just ok but the problem isn't the shape for me but that dark blue/silver tacky cladding that is all too common in many Chinese buildings. That said this is another great proposal for Chicago!

Chicago Supertalls by 2025?
------------
375 East Wacker 1,148ft (Pro)
430 North Michigan 984ft+ (Pro)
625 West Monroe 75fl (Pro)
Aon Center 1,136ft (1973)
Chicago Spire 2,000ft (Pro)
Franklin Center North Tower 1,007ft (1989)
John Hancock Center 1,127ft (1969)
Post Office Redevelopment 2000ft (Pro) and +2 other supertalls possible
Sears Tower 1,451ft (1974)
Trump International Hotel and Tower 1,389ft (2009)
Two Prudential Plaza 995ft (1990)

#15 ·
The reason to be excited about this is that it's Jeanne Gang. She's the architect behind Aqua, and she's actually American I think, so this is all her doing. For that reason alone I'm excited.

She made this

#17 ·
^^^ Yes, it's 10 meters short lol...

Btw, I think it's time to mention that Chicago is just about back. This is a reputable developer, and this is about the size of the Waldorf Astoria proposal we lost.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of these proposals in the next year.

Reactions: Manitopiaaa
#23 ·

I don't like the illustration but I'm not worried about this design at all. Chicago based Studio Gang does not mess around.

It's nice to finally have a proposal for a supertall in Chicago that is pretty much a guarantee. Magellan has great track record and they already have Wanda on board. This will be Chicago's next supertall.

#29 ·
My thoughts exactly. Gang Studio is top notch. The materials used in this will make it absolutely stunning, I have no doubt. She's an incredible architect.
Also, this is pretty much a done deal, and it will surpass the John Hancock tower!

Reactions: Alex The Chicagoan
#34 ·
I agree that it would look amazing if they did it right. (Changed the design a little)

Call me crazy, but I think that the tower looks like One57 a little, especially One57 from the South. Both have three tubes, wavy stripes, non-symmetrical.

If they made any effort to make it have an elegant look, it would look more like One57 (unless they completely scrapped it, of course.)

Don't get me wrong; I'm totally okay with two towers coincidentally looking alike, but I like this fairly boxy design exactly as it is. Except that the big gap in the middle of the bottom makes it look a bit like the Tuntex Sky Tower in Taiwan from up close. And I'd like the tallest tube to be a little taller.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.