Tags
chicago
688K views 3K replies 963 participants last post by  prageethSL 
#1 ·
Chicago, IL

See less See more
#102 ·
Originally posted by fk310

this deserves a 9.5 in my book. A world class skyline, this is what big city skylines should look like! It'd get a 10 if there were more unique and creative architecture.
:weird:

Now, most of our unique and creative architecture is no longer unique, since it has been emulated around the world, but you're off your rocker.

#103 ·
Great point. Chicago is, in many ways, the Cradle of Modern Architecture. The original Modernist buildings dont seem so original today because they've been copied throughout the world. Plus, some of Chicago's buildings are still unique. For example, its hard to find something more unique than the Tribune Tower, although its style has certainly influenced many buildings.

G
#106 ·
I gave it an 8.5. Not very dense unfortunatley. And alot of the buildings are just boxes and the others are boxes with little roofs on the top. The sears tower impresses me with its size but all it really is is a bunch of boxes bundled together with really ugly antennas on top. Sorry HK is much better!

#108 ·
Originally posted by tovancouver

I gave it an 8.5. Not very dense unfortunatley. And alot of the buildings are just boxes and the others are boxes with little roofs on the top. The sears tower impresses me with its size but all it really is is a bunch of boxes bundled together with really ugly antennas on top. Sorry HK is much better!
Not dense? :? Too boxy?

I hope these aren't in comparison to Toronto.

#110 ·
I can't believe there are people who would actually give Chicago anything below a 5. (54 people who actually gave it a 3)

Looking at these pictures how could you score it that low.
How can people say Chicago is not dense, I mean how dense do you want a city to get.
You must be looking at some old pictures of Chicago to be saying it is not denese.
Easy people get really jealous. Its that plain and simple. When they see the great skyline they feel insecure and the only way to make them feel better is to 'pretend' that Chicago isnt dense, or nice...its really pathetic but thats the way ppl want it. I can also value opinions but saying it isnt dense isnt an opinion its just plain wrong. It's like saying chicago doesnt have tall builidngs (which just u wait someone will say!). On the other hand saying that they dont like the Architecture is fair enough it isnt going to be everyones fav ..but hey i have rambled long enough here.

Yay Penrith won!!!

G
#111 ·
I give it a 9.5. Only Manhattan does it better. The photos are incredible. It's the birthplace of the skyscraper and probably every architectural style over the decades is represented in this great city. I'd love to be able to visit it again someday.

G
#116 ·
All I see are boxes all over the place, no doubt it is dense, but, too monotonous, kindda dull. Need more funky buildings. Because of that I give a 9 instead of 9.5. But, I must admit the skyline is certainly spectacular and addictive for skyscrapers fanatic!!.hehe

#124 · (Edited)
okay...first things first....

I have to agree with Chi-town...whoever voted a three...well, nevermind

Chicago gets a 10/10 hands-down...my architectural interest came from it, and I haven't let it go since. The balance is much better than that of the other greats.

This city has some things that the others don't. New York doesn't have the panoramic waterfront. Hong Kong, well, it's just not China. But Chicago...yeah, baby...this is where all of it started.

The Sears Tower, Aon, and Hancock are definitive...they're not my favorites, but I couldn't do without them. I will admit, CNA Plaza is pretty butt-ugly, but I love Graham, Anderson, Probst & White anyways

If you hate Aon, well...take a look at WTC...they're pretty much the same...only, of course, Aon has a little more character...Never, ever, ever diss Perkins & Will

I've loved this city for about four years now...I used to know over 500 of the buildings by name. Call me stubborn, but I'm not flinching.

Chicago rules...hands-down

and whoever put La Paz in front of New York, Hong Kong, and Chicago...I'm extremely confused