SkyscraperCity Forum banner
75K views 264 replies 35 participants last post by  hkskyline 
#1 ·

Sterling Bay is proposing a skyscraper connected to Union Station that would become one of the city's tallest, as the Chicago-based developer vies for the assignment to redevelop real estate owned by Amtrak.

The firm wants to build a 958-foot-tall, 2 million-square-foot office tower alongside the massive transit facility in the West Loop and is already in talks with tenants large enough to kick off the project, Sterling Bay Managing Director Andy Gloor said today.

Gloor made his first public mention of the plan during the Crain's Real Estate Forum event at the Standard Club. He emphasized that Sterling Bay has not been chosen as Union Station's master developer.
link

See less See more
#38 ·
I saw some new renders posted somewhere that are more detailed than any yet released. The base looks quite interesting and the facade has a subtle, faceted facade that makes this project much more interesting than before.

Not to mention the massive impact this is going to have when driving into the Loop from the east. The location is going to make this look bigger than it is.

#39 ·
I saw those same renders. I believe that like 110 N. Wacker only one side of the building has those facets and the other is flat. That does add a new visual interest that I didn't know existed but it's ridiculous that Goettsch can't do the entire buildings with the one unique aspect about them. They're both rather boring save for the limited creative design elements.

#41 ·
110 N. Wacker is roughly the same distance from Sears as BMO. I don't have any idea why the two 775' towers at 301 S. Wacker stalled but they would have helped refresh the surroundings greatly. What lots are left in the Loop are unfortunately getting budget towers.

That massive garage next to Sears needs to be demolished and ideally an iconic supertall should be built in it's place to desnify the immediate area around Sears and bring the Loop into the 21st century. From most angles you can see 3/4th's of the building if not more. I always thought that by now Sears would have even been surpassed. Chicago has been allergic to supertalls in general really with 4 of the 5 potentials all getting scaled back.

#43 ·
Chicago really needs to start bringing its A game. I've always been reluctant to see Sears get surpassed, but now it's time to let go and build something that will bring Chicago into the new millennium and ideally bring the title of tallest building in NA back.

#45 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.