SkyscraperCity Forum banner
4M views 18K replies 1K participants last post by  streetscaper 
#1 ·
Discuss this week's topic here. :)

But please note - if you post too many images, I will delete them all. Try to have some consideration for people with slower Internet connections and/or slower computers, otherwise the thread becomes unreadable.

#103 ·
Art Deco said:
I completely agree with you, WANCH. And you know what? Hong Kong DOES have the best skyline in the world and that's coming from somebody who is as passionate as anybody about New York and its skyscrapers. I've accepted it and I'm no longer in denial about it... my mind has been opened and there are a few things I always knew in the back of my mind but never said because it would be making a case for Hong Kong:

First of all, I'm getting sick of all the comments about New York and Chicago having suuuuuuuch an advantage over HK when it comes to "classic skyscrapers" and "historical architecture". While that may be true, a majority of people here make themselves sound so superior and downgrading about it that it makes me want to hurl. They go around acting as if Hong Kong could do jackshit about it, like it too, was building skyscrapers around the sametime and still got completely blown out of the water -- It wasn't.

But here's something oh, so interesting --- What Hong Kong lacks in the historical architecture department, it makes up for by kicking New York and Chicago's asses to the curb and out into moving traffic on a highway when it comes to post-modern and futuristic design and this is when both of those cities are still capable of building skyscrapers. But you know what? They may as well be in the same position Hong Kong was in when they were building all the "classics" and "timeless masterpieces" in the 20s, 30s (and I guess uh, the 70s) because they can't do anything about being the shit in the toilet that is inevitably flushed down!

I can't wait until I get to visit the City of Life in March. :cheers:
I would like some feedback...does singapore lack in historical or colonial architecture?

#104 ·
By the way I love new York and Chicago as it is...there is no need for them to tear down old buildings cos they are and represent the pioneers of skyscrapers and are unique and special. These buildings were built in early 20th century i guess...so of course they are not futuristic, but Wanch...different skylines have different designs, and quality. We should not compare each other's skylines actually. There is no need for it...:):):):)

#105 ·
JoSin said:
By the way I love new York and Chicago as it is...there is no need for them to tear down old buildings cos they are and represent the pioneers of skyscrapers and are unique and special. These buildings were built in early 20th century i guess...so of course they are not futuristic, but Wanch...different skylines have different designs, and quality. We should not compare each other's skylines actually. There is no need for it...:):):):)
Most of these classical buildings in NY and Chicago are actually preserved. But some of the inside are rennovated though.

Anyway skylines are sometimes worth comparing since one skyline is different from the other.

And on Singapore, there are a few classic skyscrapers in Shenton Way which also resembles the Old Bank Of China building in HK :)

#108 ·
I'm quite surprised that people are citing natural surroundings as the reason for HK not having the world's greatest skyline. What else can I say other than that I completely, 110% disagree. The skyline sitting on a small island at the edge of one of the world's busiest harbour's with a green mountainous/hilly backdrop give it outright one of the most incomparable settings on the entire planet; certainly better than New York or Chicago by far. IMHO.

#110 ·
BoCHK said:
I'm quite surprised that people are citing natural surroundings as the reason for HK not having the world's greatest skyline. What else can I say other than that I completely, 110% disagree. The skyline sitting on a small island at the edge of one of the world's busiest harbour's with a green mountainous/hilly backdrop give it outright one of the most incomparable settings on the entire planet; certainly better than New York or Chicago by far. IMHO.
I definitely agree!

HK skyline, there are also other vantage points to view HK's skyline like from other Peaks like the ones in Kowloon and also from the harbour :)

#119 ·
http://homepages.ipact.nl/~egram/skylines.html

How many North American cities are in the top 10?

[1]*1 108672 Hong Kong China 3596 Union Square phase 7 (484m, u/c)
[2]*2 35319 New York (incl. Jersey City, Guttenberg) USA 866 One World Trade Center (417m, destroyed)
[3]*3 16784 Tokyo Japan 523 Mid Town Tower (248m, u/c)
[4]*4 14843 Shanghai China 428 Shanghai World Financial Center (492m, u/c)
[5]*5 14579 Chicago USA 327 Sears Tower (442m)
[6]*6 11889 Bangkok Thailand 410 Baiyoke Tower II (304m)
[9]*7 11781 Dubai UAE 177 Burj Dubai (705m, u/c)
[10]*8 8027 Seoul South Korea 356 Tower Palace 3, Tower G (264m)
[7]*9 7692 Singapore Singapore 295 Republic Plaza (295m)
[8]*10 7343 Kuala Lumpur Malaysia 202 Petronas Tower I (452m)
[11]*11 6778 Shenzhen China 184 Shun Hing Square (384m)
[12]*12 6445 Chongqing China 235 Wanhao Financial Center (357m, u/c)
[17]*13 6163 Guangzhou China 155 CITIC Plaza (391m)
[13]*14 5940 Manila (incl. Makati, Mandaluyong, Ortigas, Quezon City) Philippines 174 PBCOM Tower (259m)
[14]*15 5531 Toronto (inc. Mississauga) Canada 241 First Canadian Place (298m)
[16]*16 4609 Houston USA 107 JP MorganChase Tower (305m)
[15]*17 4599 Sydney (incl. Bondi, North Sydney, Chatswood) Australia 134 Chifley Tower (244m)
[18]*18 4536 Osaka (incl. Izumisano) Japan 112 Rinku Gate Tower (256m)
[20]*19 4460 Moscow Russia 124 Federation, Tower A (345m, u/c)
[27]*20 4170 Miami (incl. Miami Beach) USA 103 Met 3 (264m, u/c)