SkyscraperCity Forum banner
4M views 18K replies 1K participants last post by  streetscaper 
#1 ·
Discuss this week's topic here. :)

But please note - if you post too many images, I will delete them all. Try to have some consideration for people with slower Internet connections and/or slower computers, otherwise the thread becomes unreadable.

#121 ·
There are several cities in The Far East that have collections of quality skyscrapers. In fact, Asian skyscrapers are becoming the model for today's post modern architecture. Ok, Asian cities may lack the classics but this is the 21st century and I prefer looking at the future than in the past!

#124 ·
spyguy said:
^Still. If you're going to post that info that shows Asian cities at the top because of quantity then you have to take the good with the bad, and the bad in this case are the dull, commie-block-like boxes that do not form distinctive skylines like that of American/Canadian skylines.
It's the same thing with some of the largest cities in North America especially New York and formerly, Chicago and Toronto.

New York's skyline is surronded by housing estates. Even in Lower Manhattan where you got PJ nearby on the Lower East Side.

Chicago had the same thing with Cabrini Green and Robert Taylor Homes but they are demonlished!

#131 · (Edited)
spyguy said:
^Still. If you're going to post that info that shows Asian cities at the top because of quantity then you have to take the good with the bad, and the bad in this case are the dull, commie-block-like boxes that do not form distinctive skylines like that of American/Canadian skylines.
Hong Kong and New York are at a disadvantage when it comes to this because they both house incredibly large populations on islands, so the need for many high-rise residential towers is a must and of course they aren't going to be architecturally interesting.

However, it's still a fact that they exist and this is what I love and find so unique about Chicago: It's very pure and straight forward. You don't have to deal or look at the utter dullness when it comes to the skyline, you can just enjoy it. It's also so damn incredibly tall... I'm not talking about tall with spires, masts and all that nonsense, Chicago is tallllllllll. The Sears, to an almost mind numbing extent. Chicago just doesn't **** around when it comes to building them big, tall and bold... although I love how the Fordham Spire will kick the shit back towards all the spires Asia has thrown up, thus making their skyscrapers officially "taller". Anybody with eyes can see and take note that the Petronas are not taller than the Sears, Central Plaza is not taller than JHC and Bank of China is not taller than Aon, yet they are listed as being so. In fact, Chicago really has three of the 10 tallest buildings in the world.

Keep doing your thing, Chi-town. Love it.

#134 ·
gronier said:
Chicago now.... Dubai in the future.

While the majority of people view Chicago as being third among the "Big Three" skylines (I consider them all equally great in their own way for the most part), I think it'll actually compete more with Dubai than either Hong Kong or New York which are both so compact and so built up already (of course, you can't beat good old land reclamation and demolition).

Chicago is already incredibly tall (especially by roof) and if it can add something such as the Fordham Spire, it'll pretty much secure its place for the 21st century. Of course, there are other projects such as the Trump Int'l Hotel & Tower as well as the Waterview Tower which are legitimate supertalls. The combination of past + present should be enough for Chicago to hold its own against the onslaught of Dubai projects.

#135 ·
BoCHK said:
While the majority of people view Chicago as being third among the "Big Three" skylines (I consider them all equally great in their own way for the most part), I think it'll actually compete more with Dubai than either Hong Kong or New York which are both so compact and so built up already (of course, you can't beat good old land reclamation and demolition).

Chicago is already incredibly tall (especially by roof) and if it can add something such as the Fordham Spire, it'll pretty much secure its place for the 21st century. Of course, there are other projects such as the Trump Int'l Hotel & Tower as well as the Waterview Tower which are legitimate supertalls. The combination of past + present should be enough for Chicago to hold its own against the onslaught of Dubai projects.

I think if Dubai really gets all these supertalls done then Dubai will be far ahead of Hong Kong and NYC in the tallness factor as well (not just pushing for a spot with Chicago). However, with Dubai's going to be so spread out and the fact that there is great drop off (and still will be) after Dubais supertalls I think Hong Kongs, Chicagos, and New Yorks skylines will always look much more "complete" and organic then Dubai's will.

Plus, you have to give it up to the old big three that their buildigns have been largely market driven and not sheik ego driven.

I would disagree with you about Hong Kong and New York being very dense. If you look at the density of just the comercial buildings (which are the REAL tall buildings in both cities) then New Yorks has a much more dense and large core then any other city on earth including Hong Kong. I think that can be both a good and bad thing though. I like the fact that in general you can identify and appreciate more indivual buildings in any given angle of Hong Kongs or Chicago skyline then New Yorks. Hong Kong and Chicago have their skylines more on a canvass while Mid-town Manhatten had the most impressive blob of steel and glass known to man.