SkyscraperCity Forum banner

The Windy City: Photos That'll Blow You Away (only your best photos)

2M views 8K replies 546 participants last post by  xzmattzx 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Well now that we're starting over, should we establish some rules before posting any more photos? Number of photos per post, image size (maybe use thumbnails), credit to authors, photo quality/clarity, etc. The last thread had lots of great photos, but also a lot of questionable ones. If we want others to enjoy these threads then we need to make them more accessible, meaning not posting 20+ photos in one post so that even on a high speed connection, the browser freezes.

#4 ·
Well now that we're starting over, should we establish some rules before posting any more photos? Number of photos per post, image size (maybe use thumbnails), credit to authors, photo quality/clarity, etc. The last thread had lots of great photos, but also a lot of questionable ones. If we want others to enjoy these threads then we need to make them more accessible, meaning not posting 20+ photos in one post so that even on a high speed connection, the browser freezes.
Right, some rules are a good idea.

I would say two pictures per post and three posts per page per person. Also, it is difficult to delineate the precise boundary between what is and is not amazing, since what people consider to be amazing is highly subjective. Nonetheless, we should aim to post the best shots possible in terms of quality/composition/subject matter. The last thread was littered with more than its fair share of average--even inferior--photos. The aforementioned post limit will hopefully force people to post only the best photos. As for file sizes, very large photos obviously take longer to load and are more difficult to view properly. Longer loading times translate into decreased viewership overall. Therefore, a size limit of around 800x600, with exceptions for panoramics, seems proper. Those dimensions strike a balance between size and efficiency considerations. Finally, we should always attempt to attribute photos to their original photographer, if possible. That's a given.

#5 ·
I think 2 pics per post is a little low, especially if someone goes out and takes 100 shots and can only post 2. I suppose then you could make 3 posts consecutively for a total of 6 per page. Yes this will eliminate some "bad" pictures but I think it will also prohibit some good ones too. I think a better number would be 10.

I also think a size limit of 800 x 600 is a little too low but it is reasonable. I usually don't have to wait more than a minute for the pictures to load so for me this is acceptable because this is a pictures thread and I expect it to take a little longer.

#6 ·
#7 ·
I think 2 pics per post is a little low, especially if someone goes out and takes 100 shots and can only post 2.
If you have a reasonably large amount of photos taken by yourself, then I would suggest making a separate thread for them. That was one of the problems of version I; people would just copy and paste a photo thread that had maybe 50-100+ personal photos (or taken by a gifted photographer like Lucky) onto here for no reason when they could've just made a separate thread.

I also think a size limit of 800 x 600 is a little too low but it is reasonable.
You could also use a thumbnail which would still allow for bigger wallpaper sizes once you click on them.

#8 ·
If you have a reasonably large amount of photos taken by yourself, then I would suggest making a separate thread for them.
That's a good idea but for me, I like to have all pics in one thread. For example, those great pics Hydrogen took from Aon, are now on page 2 of our subforum and over time will inevitably keep getting pushed back. I think that by having seperate threads, it will make it harder for people to find pics of Chi-Town and thereby making them less accessible. I still think its a good idea to have seperate threads but only if we can index them or segregate them from the rest of the threads to keep track of them all. Is there a way we can do this?

You could also use a thumbnail which would still allow for bigger wallpaper sizes once you click on them.
That can work, post some medium sized images and then use the thumbnails as links to the larger image.

#9 ·
How about the moderator reserves the right to use common sense in moderating the picture thread? If there is a really awesome photo, it deserves to be big. If there are some good photos, but small, it logically follows that more can be posted.

#10 · (Edited)
I am totally agree!:)

Here is an awsome shot near O'hare from chi-george:runaway: Now, that is true "skyline" of chicago!

#11 ·
Yeah, especially if you want to use them for wallpaper.
Yea, it is too small for wallpaper!:lol:
I love to gather great shots, it makes me go :nuts: :banana:

#12 ·
How about the moderator reserves the right to use common sense in moderating the picture thread? If there is a really awesome photo, it deserves to be big. If there are some good photos, but small, it logically follows that more can be posted.
Great point, great pix are true of its originality, I hate tamper work! If it is truly one and only skyline shot, hell yea, make it original please!:) :cheers:

#18 · (Edited)