SkyscraperCity Forum banner

CHICAGO - Wrigley Field (41,072)

Tags
chicago
295K views 705 replies 138 participants last post by  nyrmetros 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
See less See more
#34 ·
^^ Pretty f'n awesome :) I am pissed I missed the intros. For some dumb reason I thought it started at 230pm. :wallbash:

I wonder if the NHL would ever consider multiple outdoor games like the NFL does with Thanksgiving day. Have Wrigley and the Hawks be one of the stand in games (like the NLF does with the Lions) with another later or ealier game rotated among new venues.

Hopefully it will come back around to Wrigley or Soldier in ten to fifteen years.

#35 · (Edited)
#40 ·
I haven't talked to anyone who went but I don't think that would be an issue. A baseball and a puck are roughly the same size and a baseball is often moving at as fast of speeds as a puck. I would think the best seats would be those a bit back and up and or even on the 2nd deck. The near seats may be good but I imagine that in some angles the rink boards would have obscured the view.

#39 ·
The team is getting new owners in a few months and I think and hope that the new owner would be foolish enough to shatter the ambiance. I have been to stadiums with large jumbotrons and I don't find them particularly useful other then for teams giving ad time and to use as a promotional tool.

I fear it will eventually come but I think it would be an EXTREMELY unpopular move by the majority of fans. Part of Wrigley' charm is the vista it gives of the neighborhood and looking out northeast on its Lakeview neighborhood. Perhaps the team and one of the rooftops will think about installing one of the most portable ones but even then I hope they strongly reconsider.

#41 ·
Illinois Finance Authority: Can't do Wrigley Field deal without revenue numbers from Tribune
8 April 2009

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) - A deal to renovate historic Wrigley Field with a state-assisted $300 million loan stalled even before Illinois' ex-governor was caught up in a corruption charge involving the plan, an official said Tuesday.

William Brandt, chairman of the Illinois Finance Authority, told The Associated Press that the deal was never seriously considered because representatives of the Tribune Co., which owns the ballpark, never disclosed revenue projections to back it.

The federal government claims it has secretly recorded conversations of then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich instructing aides to pressure Tribune to fire unfriendly editorial writers from its Chicago newspaper before he would OK a deal he believed would save Tribune owner Sam Zell $100 million in capital gains taxes.

In a Nov. 30 conversation overheard by the FBI, Blagojevich "discussed the importance of getting the IFA transaction approved at the IFA's December 2008 or January 2009 meeting" because Blagojevich was considering leaving office in January, according to a criminal complaint.

Brandt reiterated Tuesday that he was unaware of Blagojevich's alleged timetable or other wrongdoing; the fact that the IFA suggested Tribune make a presentation in December or January was coincidental.

Blagojevich and his chief of staff, John Harris, were arrested Dec. 9 and indicted last week on a wide range of federal allegations including trying to pressure Tribune to fire critical editorial writers in exchange for state assistance on Wrigley.

Brandt said the only time he talked about the baseball plan to the ex-governor, who was impeached and removed from office in January, was at a meeting last fall in which Blagojevich spoke to participants about the importance of a Wrigley deal.

The AP reported Monday that a Nov. 19 proposal Tribune floated called for IFA to sell $300 million in bonds, lend it to a newly created corporation and, through a complex venture, lease the stadium to a new owner for 30 years at $25 million a year.

The Tribune would get $45 million upfront and a 5 percent equity share in the lease. The IFA, through the new corporation, would maintain a 95 percent stake.

But the IFA grew frustrated about weekly meetings with rooms full of lawyers but no results, Brandt said. He said the authority needed to see several years' worth of revenue from ticket sales, vendors, parking, leases for other events, and perhaps television contracts.

The bid for the Cubs might have hamstrung Tribune. Brandt believes Major League Baseball would not allow Tribune to hand over the receipts until the team had a buyer.

Tribune's Dec. 8 bankruptcy filing also complicated matters, said Brandt, who still believes a deal for the century-old ballpark can be completed.

A Tribune Co. spokesman declined comment. No one associated with Tribune or the IFA is charged with wrongdoing.

#49 ·
CHICAGO - Wrigley Field Renovation

Wasn't sure where to put this.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-17-cubs-brite-chicago-jan17,0,1790453.story
In conjunction with the 100-year anniversary of Wrigley Field in 2014, the Cubs are planning "a complete renovation of the ballpark."

The project will be called "Wrigley 20-14" and include construction projects during the season so the Cubs can use it "for another 100 years," according to President Crane Kenney.

The focal point of the massive restructuring will be the long-talked-about "triangle building" to the west, a project that will include knocking down the outer wall on the third-base side to form a large open-air courtyard that would include concession areas and shops.

In the end, all of the concourse will be widened and include expanded restrooms, some of which will be completed for this season. It also means construction will be ongoing during the 2011 and 2012 seasons.

Although plans still are sketchy, there also could be a restaurant below the third-base terrace "suites."

The only parts of the park that will not be reconfigured are the bleachers, which already have been altered by more seats and a restaurant.

"A lot of spots in the ballpark haven't been touched in years," Kenney said. "We put millions (of dollars) in every offseason just to keep it moving forward without really changing much.

"We have to be re-thinking long term."

During a Cubs Convention panel discussion about the business of baseball, Kenney told the audience:

--"I can't imagine the ballpark not being called Wrigley Field," when asked about naming rights, even though former Tribune Co. ownership seemed amenable to it.

--The "L" flag will continue to fly for the time being, although there is internal debate about it. Kenney took a show-of-hands survey during the discussion that showed "4- or 5-to-1" against changing the tradition.

--No Friday night games and no Jumbotron screen will be added soon, if ever, and the Cubs don't envision going to personal seat licenses for ticket-holders.

A 2005 sketch of a proposed Wrigley Field expansion project under Tribune Co. The Ricketts family wants to complete something similar by 2014. (Tribune lab)
These are from the Cubs website on the "Improvement Illustrations" section:

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/ballpark/expansion.jsp

#56 ·
Ive always noticed that a large portion of people who consider Dodger Stadium "historic" in mostly people from California, whereas almost everyone considers Fenway and Wrigley historic.

Dodger Stadium isnt close to being in the same league as Fenway or Wrigley.

#58 ·
How you can see in the image, I'm a Chicago city fan. I don't understand all about baseball but I know about the results of the Cubs. I like the team because the loyalty of the fans, which make me to remember my team, Vitória SC Guimarães. and of course, because this magnificient stadium that seems to contain all American bseball history in its structure and looking. Wonderful

#64 ·
A football game between Northwestern University and University of Illinois being played this weekend. Should be a fun. :banana:

This will be the first football game played at Wrigley in over 40 years (the Chicago Bears used to make Wrigley their home).

http://nusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/042310aag.htmlCHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs and Northwestern University today (April 23) announced the Northwestern Wildcats football team will host the University of Illinois at Wrigley Field at 2:30 p.m. CT Saturday, Nov. 20, 2010. The matchup will mark the first college football game at Wrigley Field since 1938, when DePaul University played home games at the ballpark. The contest will be the first football game of any kind at the Friendly Confines since the Chicago Bears last played there in December of 1970.

"Having Wrigley Field as the backdrop for a college football rivalry with such a rich history is exciting since the ballpark has gone nearly 40 years since last hosting a football game," said Cubs Executive Chairman Tom Ricketts. "It is terrific to partner with Northwestern University and an honor to play host to college football and great programs like NU and the U of I.".........

This will be the first time in more than 87 years that Northwestern and Illinois will play at Wrigley Field. On October 27, 1923, the Wildcats and the Illini squared off at the Friendly Confines (then called Cubs Park) in front of 32,000 fans. This year's Northwestern-Illinois game with mark the 104th game between the Big Ten Conference rivals since the two first met in 1892.

Wrigley Field, built in 1914 and home of the Cubs since 1916, regularly hosted football games from 1916-70, including roughly 370 NFL games. The primary football tenants were the Chicago Bears, who called Wrigley Field home from 1921-70, but the ballpark also hosted the Chicago Tigers (1920) and the Chicago Cardinals (1920, 1931-39). Besides Northwestern, DePaul and the University of Illinois, other colleges to play at Wrigley Field include Loyola (Chicago), which in 1926 hosted Arkansas Tech before playing DePaul a year later.

First I've heard that DePaul and Loyola used to have football programs. Wish they would bring them back.

via the Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...tern-illinois-football,0,7729313.photogallery

#65 ·
Again, thanks and via the Chicago Tribune of some great old photos

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...c-wrigley-photogallery,0,6730997.photogallery

Wrigley in 1928

A game at Wrigley Cubs vs. Pittsburgh in 1936

Wrigley vendors back in the day

Opening day 1933

Charlie Grimm, 1932

Mr. Al Capone taking in a Cubs day game

Billy Goat being denied entry from th park duing World Series, 1945

Bears vs. L.A. Nov. 13, 1955

1984 after winning division crown. First playoff appearance in 39 years.

Harry Caray in 1980s

Wrigley Today

#66 ·
CBS television

Several weeks ago, an episode of Undercover Boss featured a member of the Ricketts family as a Cub employee. One of his jobs was to "clean" the restrooms. The supervisor proceded to "clean" by spraying the restroom interior, troughs, stalls and toilets with a hose. Absolutely disgusting with all the splashing of God knows what. Stay away from Wrigley Field restrooms. Hold it in.