Albert Square - Page 8 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 14th, 2020, 10:54 AM   #141
Darude Sandstorm

Likes (Received): 1275

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJD1984 View Post
How and who do you propose rebuild these buildings?

They have been lost. The Arndale will remain unchanged for years to come. I can't see High Street (if it ever gets built) changing that.

We’re the 5th richest country on the planet. If we add the ambition I’m sure it could be made possible. If Germany can reconstruct why can’t we? Although we’d have to unite from planning to landowners for this to happen - which would be more difficult granted in Britain.

The High Street is a fantasy as obviously, nothing concrete has ever been proposed for that section of the Arndale as far as I’m aware. Intu look to be in jeopardy, maybe if it got tookover by a more ambitious owner we could hopefully see renewed emphasis on getting a makeover for that side done.
Darude Sandstorm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2020, 11:06 AM   #142
VDB

Likes (Received): 40205

I'm currently reading a book which claims there is an irrefutable link between architecture and mental health. The book claims that more 'classic' styles of architecture create a sense of joy in the mind, as they are pleasing to look at, and that people living in cities with large amounts of uinterrupted classical architecture generally have better mental health than people living in more 'modern' places, despite some of these cities having lower socioeconomic standards than others (it cites Krakow as a place where mental health is good despite low pay/employment/unstable economy).

It specifically states that the miserable, oppressive architecture of postwar Europe (Brutalism/modernism) has had a terrible effect on the living conditions of people living in cities where these styles have been forced upon them.

In an age where our mental health is becoming more of a concern, should we not be limiting the amount of miserable, grey architecture we build and switch back to much more playful types of architecture, which are a joy to be around?

12/4/2014
22/5/2017

UrbInfo: Extensive property development data for Manchester

Schooner, PotreroHill, Elmanco liked this post
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 11:10 AM   #143
VDB

Further, does it really come as a surprise that people living in these environments:

Are happier and have better mental health than people living in these environments...?

12/4/2014
22/5/2017

Schooner liked this post
Old February 14th, 2020, 11:19 AM   #144
reeces

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
I'm currently reading a book which claims there is an irrefutable link between architecture and mental health. The book claims that more 'classic' styles of architecture create a sense of joy in the mind, as they are pleasing to look at, and that people living in cities with large amounts of uinterrupted classical architecture generally have better mental health than people living in more 'modern' places, despite some of these cities having lower socioeconomic standards than others (it cites Krakow as a place where mental health is good despite low pay/employment/unstable economy).

It specifically states that the miserable, oppressive architecture of postwar Europe (Brutalism/modernism) has had a terrible effect on the living conditions of people living in cities where these styles have been forced upon them.

In an age where our mental health is becoming more of a concern, should we not be limiting the amount of miserable, grey architecture we build and switch back to much more playful types of architecture, which are a joy to be around?

Are you talking about classical ie, ‘Greco-Roman’ or are you talking about vernacular? Personally I think vernacular architecture is what we should aim towards rather than sticking classical columns, porticos etc on something.

The best thing about vernacular architecture is it can change and adapt to the people it serves but is still ‘of an area’.
reeces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 11:47 AM   #145
Darude Sandstorm

Quote:
Further, does it really come as a surprise that people living in these environments:

Are happier and have better mental health than people living in these environments...?

VDB is that first picture Krakow? It looks gorgeous
Old February 14th, 2020, 11:50 AM   #146
half_empty

Likes (Received): 1517

is it not Amsterdam or somewhere else in the Low Countries? Architecture doesn't look Polish. Dutch roofs.
half_empty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 11:53 AM   #147
VDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darude Sandstorm View Post
VDB is that first picture Krakow? It looks gorgeous
It's Gdansk

12/4/2014
22/5/2017

Old February 14th, 2020, 11:53 AM   #148
Brickie

Likes (Received): 1662

it's Gdansk Poland. (beaten me to it VDB!)

Largely rebuilt after WW2

Darude Sandstorm, MancMatt liked this post
Brickie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 12:15 PM   #149
half_empty

Likes (Received): 1517

ah cool
half_empty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 12:30 PM   #150
URBANISER

Likes (Received): 642

Poland, who paid for the rebuild? The rebuild of East Berlin was hardly sympathetic in comparison?
URBANISER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 12:30 PM   #151
marcobruls

Likes (Received): 4849

Lots and lots and lots of dutch traders in danzig, most of dutch money came from baltic trade. They called it the "moedernegotie" or mother of all trade.

So they brought over the famous dutch architecture building warehouses etc.

half_empty, makram, Darude Sandstorm liked this post
marcobruls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 02:43 PM   #152
Salfordmanc

Likes (Received): 2061

Quote:

The 4th image looks like Stepping Hill Maternity Unit.
Salfordmanc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 03:12 PM   #153
symmetry

Likes (Received): 1493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darude Sandstorm View Post
We’re the 5th richest country on the planet. If we add the ambition I’m sure it could be made possible. If Germany can reconstruct why can’t we? Although we’d have to unite from planning to landowners for this to happen - which would be more difficult granted in Britain.

The High Street is a fantasy as obviously, nothing concrete has ever been proposed for that section of the Arndale as far as I’m aware. Intu look to be in jeopardy, maybe if it got tookover by a more ambitious owner we could hopefully see renewed emphasis on getting a makeover for that side done.
"5th richest country on the planet" doesn't really mean anything in real terms for Manchester.

The wealth is too concentrated in this country and worst of all the only city that matters is London.

If it wasn't for football and, in more recent years, the Northern Powerhouse (pushed by George Osbourne) we'd just be a slightly bigger Sheffield.

Schooner, Lozzaboy, Darude Sandstorm liked this post
symmetry está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 04:02 PM   #154
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 315

That bit of Gdansk would fit into Spinningfields. The rest is commieblocks.

TSK27M liked this post
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 05:04 PM   #155
Darude Sandstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetry View Post
"5th richest country on the planet" doesn't really mean anything in real terms for Manchester.

The wealth is too concentrated in this country and worst of all the only city that matters is London.

If it wasn't for football and, in more recent years, the Northern Powerhouse (pushed by George Osbourne) we'd just be a slightly bigger Sheffield.

Be careful, way it’s going the Blades will probably be above both Manchester teams soon.

I agree regarding the London centric nature which has goaded this nation for, well, since the industrial revolution. However, we’ve got a forward-thinking, devolutionised government now... oh wait
Old February 14th, 2020, 05:51 PM   #156
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 60702

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
My heart sinks every time I see a picture of how magnificent Manchester looked in the past.

Sadly it's now just a dream. But can you imagine if all those buildings had survived different councils, different property developers, the 2nd World War, etc, and instead had been saved, protected and redeveloped. Manchester today would be one of the finest and most grandiose cities in Europe.

Look how magnificent and ornate those buildings (warehouses) are. What a streetscape that would be today. Thankfully many of those buildings still survive to this day. Safly not enough of those buildings survived.

Ariel view, Albert Square 1922

I honestly believe if many or most of our warehouses across the city centre had not met a premature end, more parts of the city centre would resemble Soho in New York.

I appreciate the NQ is pretty much that bar the amount of warehouses that still remain unconverted into Apartments, and the general poor upkeep and appearance of of the NQ, which is down to the building owners and the city council.

Click on the link for a few more great pictures of Soho.

https://andrewprokos.com/photos/new-york/soho/
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 08:21 PM   #157
baczek333

Likes (Received): 3962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Newell View Post
That bit of Gdansk would fit into Spinningfields. The rest is commieblocks.
Not entirely true, while commieblock neighborhoods are indeed scattered around the city, it still has a number of nice districts outside the old town, like for example:

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.3818...7i13312!8i6656

Especially the suburbs with old architecture remained mostly intact.

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.4072...7i13312!8i6656

Not to mention just new suburbs.

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.3543...7i13312!8i6656

Yes, there are a lot of commieblocks in Gdańsk, just like in any other Polish/Eastern European city, but saying "the rest is commieblocks" is simply unfair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBANISER View Post
Poland, who paid for the rebuild? The rebuild of East Berlin was hardly sympathetic in comparison?
Well, Poles did with hard, often unpaid work. By the 1960s the old town had already been rebuilt (the part that was intended to be rebuilt obviously, in fact it was rebuilt only partially and a lot of buildings don't resemble their pre-war versions that much but that was the plan).

MancMatt liked this post

Last edited by baczek333; February 14th, 2020 at 09:11 PM.
baczek333 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 01:02 PM   #158
TSK27M

Likes (Received): 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_empty View Post
is it not Amsterdam or somewhere else in the Low Countries? Architecture doesn't look Polish. Dutch roofs.
DANZIG was a GERMAN city before the Poles were given it after the war...That we see is German Baltic style...
TSK27M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 01:26 PM   #159
baczek333

Likes (Received): 3962

Again, not entirely true and you should learn about the original, distinct, Dutch-influenced architecture of Gdańsk that peaked around the 17th century, that was replaced by more Prussian-like architecture in the 19th/20th century, then destroyed during WW2. That original architecture was the main example for the post-war reconstruction and this was not the typical "German Baltic style".

Germans did the same in many other cities where they sought to erase all traces of different than German cultures. Here you can see examples from Toruń, where a lot of Dutch-style buildings were rebuilt to look more "Prussian", like in Berlin:

http://www.toruntour.pl/5478/kamieni...larska-24-i-26

http://www.toruntour.pl/5477/kamienica-ul-szeroka-35

http://www.toruntour.pl/5476/kamieni...staromiejski-8

It was done in a similar way in Gdańsk.

Last edited by baczek333; February 15th, 2020 at 04:28 PM.
baczek333 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 05:00 PM   #160
AJD1984
Geek (of many things)

Likes (Received): 25574

What’s does any of this have to do with Albert Square?

coldvein89, yesevil liked this post
AJD1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement