The Big Space Exploration Thread - Page 243 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Space, Science & Technology

Space, Science & Technology shaping tomorrow's world

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2019, 07:58 AM   #4841
fountainkopf

Likes (Received): 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
dont forget the Sea Dragon

Actual Starship will be 18 m in diameter..thicker than Sea Dragon.

http://max3fan.blogspot.fi/

bd popeye liked this post

Last edited by fountainkopf; October 10th, 2019 at 10:04 PM.
fountainkopf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2019, 09:23 PM   #4842
AcesHigh
Taking On The World

Likes (Received): 8666

no.

Elon Musk said they plan to have Starship "2" as 18m in diameter.

Starship 2 is not Starship mk2.

In fact, they are already building Starship mk3.

Everything you have seen of Starship is Starship ONE mark 1, mark 2, mark 3, etc.

After Starship is functional and already going to the Moon and Mars, then SpaceX will start developing Starship TWO (mark 1, mark 2, etc).

Kyll.Ing. liked this post
AcesHigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2019, 10:06 PM   #4843
fountainkopf

Quote:
no.

Elon Musk said they plan to have Starship "2" as 18m in diameter.

Starship 2 is not Starship mk2.

In fact, they are already building Starship mk3.

Everything you have seen of Starship is Starship ONE mark 1, mark 2, mark 3, etc.

After Starship is functional and already going to the Moon and Mars, then SpaceX will start developing Starship TWO (mark 1, mark 2, etc).
Any link to this data ?

Old October 18th, 2019, 05:36 PM   #4844
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 18405

China sent a new communication technology experiment satellite into planned orbit from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in southwest China's Sichuan Province late Thursday. The satellite, launched by a Long March-3B carrier rocket at 23:21 (Beijing Time), will be mainly used for multi-band and high-speed communication technology experiments. The satellite and the carrier rocket were respectively developed by the China Academy of Space Technology and the China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology under the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation. Thursday's launch was the 315th mission of the Long March rocket series. (Photo: China news service/Guo Wenbin)

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

Chinese Around the World Daily Photos!!!| SSC

Today's United States Navy...| SSC

Old Pics New York City! | SSC

Yellow Fever, will101 liked this post
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 05:54 PM   #4845
bd popeye

Friday's All-Woman Spacewalk: The Basics...full story

HI-RES

HI-RES

NASA astronaut Christina Koch worked while tethered near the Port 6 truss segment of the International Space Station to replace older hydrogen-nickel batteries with newer, more powerful lithium-ion batteries, during the October 11, 2019, spacewalk. Fellow NASA astronaut Andrew Morgan (out of frame) assisted Koch during the six-hour and 45-minute spacewalk.

Friday’s all-woman spacewalk is generating public interest we normally don’t get for a spacewalk. Here are the basics on the spacewalk itself, how to watch and how to participate in the conversation.

Why is this spacewalk significant?

HI-RES

Although it's the 221st spacewalk performed in support of space station assembly, it's the first to be conducted entirely by women, NASA astronauts Jessica Meir (at left above) and Christina Koch (at right above). It’s the first spacewalk for Meir; she’ll become the 15th woman overall and 14th U.S. woman to spacewalk.

What's the importance of an all-woman spacewalk?

The first all-woman spacewalk is a milestone worth noting and celebrating as the agency looks forward to putting the first woman and next man on the Moon by 2024 with NASA’s Artemis lunar exploration program. Our achievements provide inspiration to students around the world, proving that hard work can lead you to great heights, and all students should be able to see themselves in those achievements.

When asked in an interview about the importance of conducting her mission and this spacewalk, Koch said, “In the end, I do think it’s important, and I think it’s important because of the historical nature of what we’re doing. In the past women haven’t always been at the table. It’s wonderful to be contributing to the space program at a time when all contributions are being accepted, when everyone has a role. That can lead in turn to increased chance for success. There are a lot of people who derive motivation from inspiring stories of people who look like them, and I think it’s an important story to tell.”

I yam what I yam!

Last edited by bd popeye; October 18th, 2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old October 19th, 2019, 05:11 AM   #4846
AcesHigh
Taking On The World

Likes (Received): 8666

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountainkopf View Post
Any link to this data ?
Elon Musk himself.

18 meters diameter for NEXT GEN system.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1166856662336102401

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2019/0...-starship.html

PLUS, Elon Musk Starship presentation. He talks about the different versions/iterations (mk 1, mk 2, etc) but doesn´t mention next GEN.

All animations shown of the Starship + Superheavy, READY and going to Mars, show the 9 meters diameter version.

ITS was supposed to be 12 meters. They scaled down. Showed it. They wouldn´t be planning an 18 meters version, TWICE the diameter of the Starhopper and the current Starship Mk1 and Mk2, and at the same time be testing a 9 meters version which is full size in other aspects, as planned and shown.

Ivan the Immigrant liked this post
AcesHigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2019, 10:28 PM   #4847
fountainkopf

Quote:
Elon Musk himself.

18 meters diameter for NEXT GEN system.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1166856662336102401

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2019/0...-starship.html

PLUS, Elon Musk Starship presentation. He talks about the different versions/iterations (mk 1, mk 2, etc) but doesn´t mention next GEN.

All animations shown of the Starship + Superheavy, READY and going to Mars, show the 9 meters diameter version.

ITS was supposed to be 12 meters. They scaled down. Showed it. They wouldn´t be planning an 18 meters version, TWICE the diameter of the Starhopper and the current Starship Mk1 and Mk2, and at the same time be testing a 9 meters version which is full size in other aspects, as planned and shown.

Ok...Next Gen is 18 m dia.

Old October 25th, 2019, 01:26 AM   #4848
bd popeye

Photo released by NASA on Oct. 22, 2019, shows NASA astronaut Jessica Meir taking an out-of-this-world 'space-selfie' of herself during her first space walk.

Photo released by NASA on Oct. 22, 2019, shows astronauts Christina Koch taking an out-of-this-world "space-selfie." She and fellow NASA astronaut Jessica Meir ventured into the vacuum of space for seven hours and 17 minutes to swap a failed battery charge-discharge unit (BCDU) with a spare during the first all-woman spacewalk. (Photo/NASA)

I yam what I yam!

Old October 25th, 2019, 04:22 PM   #4849
snow is red

Likes (Received): 179

BeiDou-3 satellite system rocketing ahead

OCTOBER 24, 2019

China will possibly launch all BeiDou-3 satellites to complete the global network of its BeiDou Navigation Satellite System into space by the end of June, about half a year ahead of schedule, according to a top system official, China Daily reported.

Ran Chengqi, director of the China Satellite Navigation Office, said recently that he was very confident that all BeiDou-3 satellites will be launched into space by the end of June to complete the constellation system half a year earlier.

Ran made the remarks at the first China-Central Asia BeiDou Cooperation Forum, a sideline event of the seventh China-Central Asia Cooperation Forum that kicked off in Nanning, capital of South China’s Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region, on Friday.

China started to build the BDS-3 system in 2009, and planned to complete construction by the end of 2020, with intensive launch missions. Credit: Handout.

As the construction of the system will come to an end, the follow-up stable operation will rise to a height as important as the engineering construction, application promotion and international cooperation, Ran said.

The stable operation of the BDS will be the world’s leading level, contributing a first-class satellite navigation system with global coverage and advanced performance to the world, he said.

China started to build the BDS-3 system in 2009, and planned to complete construction by the end of 2020, with intensive launch missions. A previous plan showed China would send 10 BDS satellites into space this year, the report said.

To meet the tight launch schedule, satellite developer China Academy of Space Technology said it streamlined the development process of BDS satellites, halving the development cycle of a single satellite model to 18 months.

On Sept 23, two new medium earth orbit satellites equipped with lightweight hydrogen maser clocks were launched into space, which will make the satellite navigation system work more accurately.

The system has been applied in many industries, including transport, maritime affairs, electricity, civil affairs, meteorology, fisheries, surveying and mapping, mining and public security, the report said.

China has established BDS cooperation mechanisms with countries and organizations, strengthening technical exchanges and personnel training, and building BDS overseas centers.

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/10/ar...cketing-ahead/
Old October 30th, 2019, 04:34 PM   #4850
mopc

Likes (Received): 18592

Robert Zubrin smashing the ridiculous Lunar space "gateway"

mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2019, 12:02 AM   #4851
Ivan the Immigrant
Ex user

Likes (Received): 2859

Where is precisely and how big is that cosmodrome in Sichuan?
Ivan the Immigrant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2019, 10:31 PM   #4852
japanese001

Likes (Received): 1243

will101 liked this post
japanese001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 04:51 PM   #4853
bd popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan the Immigrant View Post
Where is precisely and how big is that cosmodrome in Sichuan?
Don't know how big it is . Here's the best info I could find.

You know google is your friend!..here ya go;

Xichang Satellite Launch Center

I yam what I yam!

Ivan the Immigrant, will101 liked this post
Old November 2nd, 2019, 11:35 PM   #4854
bd popeye

The crescent Moon is seen above the Northrop Grumman Antares rocket at launch Pad-0A, Friday, Nov. 1, 2019, at NASA's Wallops Flight Facility in Wallops Island, Va.

Spectators watch as Northrop Grumman's Antares rocket lifts off the launch pad at NASA Wallops Flight facility in Wallops Island, Va., Saturday, Nov. 2, 2019. The rocket is carrying a Cygnus spacecraft carrying supplies to the International Space Station. (AP Photo/Steve Helber)

I yam what I yam!

Old November 3rd, 2019, 12:33 AM   #4855
japanese001

Likes (Received): 1243

Japan Team Finds Water in Ancient Mars Contained Salt

Tokyo, Oct. 28 (Jiji Press)--A Japanese research team has found that water that is believed to have existed on Mars 3.5 billion years ago contained salt and minerals, providing conditions suited to life.

The team has said it succeeded in restoring the conditions of water that is believed to have existed on Gale Crater near the equator 3.5 billion years ago by using data on sediments collected by the U.S. Mars probe Curiosity.

To analyze the data, the team, including Kanazawa University associate professor Keisuke Fukushi and Tokyo Institute of Technology Prof. Yasuhito Sekine, used a technique to estimate water content used in research into geological disposal of nuclear waste.

The analysis found that the ancient water on Mars had salt content whose concentration was about a third the level of seawater on Earth.The ancient water was "as salty as miso soup and ramen noodle soup," Sekine said, adding that the water was also rich in minerals such as magnesium.

will101 liked this post
japanese001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2019, 03:15 PM   #4856
bd popeye

A new Earth observation satellite, Gaofen-7, is launched on a Long March-4B rocket from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in north China's Shanxi Province, Nov. 3, 2019. The Gaofen-7, China's first civil-use optical transmission three-dimensional surveying and mapping satellite that reaches the sub-meter level, will play an important role in land surveying and mapping, urban and rural construction and statistical investigation, according to the China National Space Administration (CNSA). (Photos by Sun Gongming/Xinhua)]

I yam what I yam!

Old November 5th, 2019, 03:35 PM   #4857
bd popeye

11.04.2019...China successfully launched another navigation satellite on Tuesday via the Long March-3B launch vehicle with the flight of Beidou-3I3 (IGSO-3) from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in Sichuan Province. A part of the inclined geosynchronous orbits (IGSO), a component of the 3rd phase of China's BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS), the satellite is also known as BeiDou-49. It could act as both geostationary satellite and satellite in intermediate orbits. A total of three BDS-3 satellites have been sent into the IGSO Earth orbit. (Photos: China News Service/ Liu Xu)

I yam what I yam!

Yellow Fever, Orion602, will101 liked this post

Last edited by bd popeye; November 5th, 2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old November 5th, 2019, 05:39 PM   #4858
city of the future
city of the future

Likes (Received): 402

I feel like we are going back in time with this thread. Rocket launch after Rocket launch, 60-year-old technology that needs to be phased out.

goschio liked this post
city of the future no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2019, 06:50 PM   #4859
bd popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by city of the future View Post
I feel like we are going back in time with this thread. Rocket launch after Rocket launch, 60-year-old technology that needs to be phased out.
Ok..how would you launch satellites into space without a rocket booster?Thank you!

Here are some ideas;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-rocket_spacelaunch

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/22/spinlaunch-2/

http://www.launchpnt.com/portfolio/a...te-launch-ring

Satellite release system

I yam what I yam!

Old November 5th, 2019, 06:53 PM   #4860
Yellow Fever
A Touch of Grey

Likes (Received): 78896

We need to learn how the Aliens fly the UFO I guess.

bd popeye liked this post
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
space thread