San José Development News - Page 1219 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Bay Area » projects and proposals | transportation and infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2019, 11:25 PM   #24361
CAAndrew

Likes (Received): 180

Funding has been an ongoing issue for Montgomery 7. Kurt Anderson keeps saying "we'll start in (blank)." Maybe he'll have better luck once Google puts a project on the table for the Enterprise site.
CAAndrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2019, 12:11 AM   #24362
dirt patch

Likes (Received): 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphelion2100 View Post
Looks like another great project that will not be built is the award winning Steinberg Hart architects designed, Invicta Towers. Seems like every outstanding design falls by the wayside here in DTSJ.
https://archinect.com/news/article/1...s-choice-award

For some better news, here are 4 projects that have a much better chance of getting off the ground:

Because these projects are in the final building review stage there is a good chance they will get off the ground as long as they have the funding.

The Bay 101 hotel/office development project already has a building permit under extension & may be waiting for funding before they proceed.

By the way, note to poster, CAAndrew, the city made an error on the address for the Montgomery 7 tower is the reason I thought that the site for the Montgomery 7 tower site was sold to Google. In fact, Google did buy the parcel at 282 S. Montgomery St. but not the actual location for the future Montgomery tower 7 which will be built at 543 Lorraine Ave.

Maybe someone better call the city planning dept., otherwise the developer may build the tower on Google's property.
Just a smoke screen.
dirt patch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2019, 12:33 AM   #24363
Dirk_Birkin

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:

I'm assuming you're referring to the "Star Parking Lot" pictured above?

I didn't include this parking lot because I don't know if Green Valley Corp. has any involvement in this property based upon the following Deed:

Green Valley deeded this property over in 2015 to a Victoria A. Burnett Revocable Trust I have no idea if this party is directly related to the Green Valley Corp. or not. Maybe, it was a way to transfer the parking lot income to this other party until such time Swenson decides to revoke this trust in order to redevelop this property in the future. Who Knows.
i always thought that the triangular parking lot would make a perfect hotel. i'm keeping my fingers crossed that the old terrain court house lot will go office. it has easy auto ingress/egress and access to 87, and the lot is large enough for a ginormous floor plate tower or two. and the other half of the carlyle lot can go residential. that would be a perfect mix for this extremely underutilized corner of downtown.

CAAndrew, bobby_guz_man liked this post
Dirk_Birkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2019, 08:47 PM   #24364
flubuk

Likes (Received): 454

Interesting article on 5 hectares in the middle of Vancouver BC owned by a tribe who don't have to follow Vancouver's zoning rules:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...rules-and-all/

Last edited by flubuk; November 12th, 2019 at 01:42 AM.
flubuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2019, 10:22 PM   #24365
mnpumar

Likes (Received): 77

188 W St James

Sales center:
mnpumar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2019, 08:38 PM   #24366
aphelion2100

Likes (Received): 2061

Two new mid-rise development proposals:

Site of former Carnes Piano Store
=================================================

CAAndrew liked this post
aphelion2100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2019, 10:05 PM   #24367
aphelion2100

Here's some new information from Bisnow Silicon Valley that was missed in the S.J. Mercury News article on the proposed new office tower at 255 W. Julian St.

https://www.bisnow.com/san-jose/news...gh-rise-101298

Quote:
The new proposal comes almost two years after Terrascape filed designs for twin 18-story residential towers on the same downtown site. Now, it and Urban Community will join forces on both the tower and 313 units of housing on an adjacent parcel that Urban Community is under contract to buy, Dillabough told Bisnow.

Their goal is to break ground next year on the already-entitled residential portion, which is being designed by San Francisco-based BDE Architecture, according to Dillabough.
Apparently, BDE Architecture is currently designing the new residential tower that will be built just north of the proposed Dillabough/Terrascape Ventures office tower.

The residential tower would be built in the parking lot section of the Davidson property.

The parcel outlined in red is the location of the future North San Pedro residential tower. I think we should be hearing soon about who bought out Z & L's interest in this parcel.

jawz, Dirk_Birkin, SanJoseBorn, CAAndrew liked this post
Old November 12th, 2019, 11:00 PM   #24368
Dirk_Birkin

Quote:
Here's some new information from Bisnow Silicon Valley that was missed in the S.J. Mercury News article on the proposed new office tower at 255 W. Julian St.

https://www.bisnow.com/san-jose/news...gh-rise-101298

Apparently, BDE Architecture is currently designing the new residential tower that will be built just north of the proposed Dillabough/Terrascape Ventures office tower.

The residential tower would be built in the parking lot section of the Davidson property.

The parcel outlined in red is the location of the future North San Pedro residential tower. I think we should be hearing soon about who bought out Z & L's interest in this parcel.
sounds like it's either terrascape or gary d that bought the rights to the NSP tower 3. funny how i always figured nsp3 would be the first project to break ground in that area. now it looks like it'll be the 5th or 6th. the tower design is definitely dated and could use a refresh. i'm not sure if bde is going to come up with anything better though, most of their stuff is very vanilla.
Old November 13th, 2019, 12:52 AM   #24369
aphelion2100

Followup on The Invicta Towers

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...for-three.html

Quote:
The San Jose planning department has withdrawn a proposal to add over a million square feet of public art, residential and retail space to downtown San Jose's SoFA District, but the project applicant plans to resubmit the proposal within the next six months.

San Jose city planner Stefanie Farmer told the Business Journal on Tuesday that the city withdrew the conditional use permit application because it had remained inactive for a year.

The planning department provided principal developer Knowhere Holdings LLC with comments and requested changes to its permit application, but Farmer said there was "no followup" from Knowhere Holdings before the city withdrew the proposal.

Robertson told the Business Journal on Monday that he plans to resubmit the Invicta Towers project proposal within the next six months. He declined to say how the resubmitted proposal would differ from the initial proposal.
The article goes on to say that the developer declined to confirm that the development has signed on a hotel operator.

Good to know that the "curvy swervy" towers as poster SanJoseBorn likes to call this great proposal is still in play.

SanJoseBorn, Discophil liked this post

Last edited by aphelion2100; November 13th, 2019 at 01:01 AM. Reason: addition
Old November 13th, 2019, 01:37 AM   #24370
SantaTeresaHills
Enough of Flatlands

Likes (Received): 56

Are you sure about the Davidson Tower? It may be that the a single office tower replaced the 2 residential towers that were planned there? Looking at the images, the office building looks like a long building which would cover the current office building and parking lot.

Also BDE Architect was the firm attached to the North San Pedro 3 tower before and has designed other buildings for Barry Swenson like City Heights and Tamien Place. It looks like Urban Community in contract to buy North San Pedro 3. North San Pedro Tower 3 is entitled for 313 units which is the same number of units in the bisnow article for the residential tower Urban Community wants to build next year.
Old November 13th, 2019, 01:37 AM   #24371
aphelion2100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk_Birkin>
sounds like it's either terrascape or gary d that bought the rights to the NSP tower 3. funny how i always figured nsp3 would be the first project to break ground in that area. now it looks like it'll be the 5th or 6th. the tower design is definitely dated and could use a refresh. i'm not sure if bde is going to come up with anything better though, most of their stuff is very vanilla.
After reading the Bisnow article, I was wondering why the Dillbough/Terrascape Ventures partnership couldn't just use the original design by Arquitectonica for the one residential tower. The combination of that original residential tower design plus the latest Arquitectonica office tower design side by side would be a killer gateway vision heading south on the {87}.
Old November 13th, 2019, 01:57 AM   #24372
aphelion2100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaTeresaHills>
Are you sure about the Davidson Tower? It may be that the a single office tower replaced the 2 residential towers that were planned there? Looking at the images, the office building looks like a long building which would cover the current office building and parking lot.

Also BDE Architect was the firm attached to the North San Pedro 3 tower before and has designed other buildings for Barry Swenson like City Heights and Tamien Place. It looks like Urban Community in contract to buy North San Pedro 3. North San Pedro Tower 3 is entitled for 313 units which is the same number of units in the bisnow article for the residential tower Urban Community wants to build next year.
Good Point! I was going by the Bisnow article that placed the residential tower in the same context with their Davidson Plaza office tower development. Because there hasn't been any mention yet in the media about the sale of the North San Pedro tower site, I assumed that the residential tower would be within the Davidson parking lot. But all of your evidence points to your conclusion that Urban Community is probably the buyer of the North San Pedro parcel.

Still would have been nice to see the Arquitectonica residential tower design used for the North San Pedro site.

CAAndrew liked this post
Old November 13th, 2019, 02:21 AM   #24373
SantaTeresaHills
Enough of Flatlands

Images in the addendum in https://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/45062 which is 4 years old.

CAAndrew liked this post

Last edited by SantaTeresaHills; November 13th, 2019 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Removing image
SantaTeresaHills no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 06:03 AM   #24374
SanJoseBorn

Likes (Received): 399

Quote:
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...for-three.html

The article goes on to say that the developer declined to confirm that the development has signed on a hotel operator.

Good to know that the "curvy swervy" towers as poster SanJoseBorn likes to call this great proposal is still in play.
Haha. I think I spelled it "curvy-swurvy", but I like your spunk (and memory!)

Discophil liked this post
SanJoseBorn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 09:18 AM   #24375
SantaTeresaHills
Enough of Flatlands

Planning directors to discuss splitting the property at 95 South Almaden Avenue tomorrow into 2 lots. One lot is the building and the other lot will be the parking lot. This was in the news in July of this year but I don't think there was any news who was interested in the lot and what they wanted to do with it. http://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/88227

aphelion2100, CTA25 liked this post
SantaTeresaHills no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 05:04 PM   #24376
Sharkcity

Likes (Received): 1247

Weingarden making another shopping center purchase in West San Jose. This is the developer working on Cambrian Plaza in South San Jose. Maybe they’ll propose a big development on the border of Cupertino.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/11/...way-anchor/Amp

Quote:
Houston-based Weingarten Realty paid $95.7 million for Stevens Creek Central, according to Santa Clara County property documents that were filed on Nov. 7.
Just another reason to build transit down West San Carlos/Stevens Creek. Downtown, Diridon, VF/SR, lots of dense development, Foothill college...

Last edited by Sharkcity; November 13th, 2019 at 07:02 PM.
Sharkcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 05:48 PM   #24377
CAAndrew

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:

7 stories on a 9600sf lot is ballsy. Could probably make the numbers work if they paid the ILO IHO fee and were able to have zero parking.

On that topic,I think the city could use to define an allotment of DUs within spitting distance of major transit that can be built without parking, in the same way we create allotments for housing in the area plans. Would give developers cover for reducing parking even further.

Also, someone somewhere made the point that defining planning docs in DUs is ambiguous in terms of actual density outcomes, should talk in terms of BRs instead. I would tend to agree with that sentiment.

Sandmannn liked this post

Last edited by CAAndrew; November 13th, 2019 at 06:03 PM.
CAAndrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 09:35 PM   #24378
Dirk_Birkin

Quote:
After reading the Bisnow article, I was wondering why the Dillbough/Terrascape Ventures partnership couldn't just use the original design by Arquitectonica for the one residential tower. The combination of that original residential tower design plus the latest Arquitectonica office tower design side by side would be a killer gateway vision heading south on the {87}.
iirc, each of those arquitectonica towers had around 300 units so it should be possible with a few simple modifications to the design. those were some sexy curvy swurvy designs and it'd be terrible to throw them on the scrap heap. i'd much rather see that at nsp3 than the boring current design that's more in step with 2005 trends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaTeresaHills View Post
Planning directors to discuss splitting the property at 95 South Almaden Avenue tomorrow into 2 lots. One lot is the building and the other lot will be the parking lot. This was in the news in July of this year but I don't think there was any news who was interested in the lot and what they wanted to do with it. http://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/88227
the building (att hub) and the lot were being split so at&t could sell the lot to a developer. once the split happens and the lot goes on the market, it should be one of the more coveted parcels in town. we won't see any proposals though until after a sale is finalized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkcity View Post
Weingarden making another shopping center purchase in West San Jose. This is the developer working on Cambrian Plaza in South San Jose. Maybe they’ll propose a big development on the border of Cupertino.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/11/...way-anchor/Amp

Just another reason to build transit down West San Carlos/Stevens Creek. Downtown, Diridon, VF/SR, lots of dense development, Foothill college...
at some point, santa clara had a proposal to redevelop the bed bath and beyond shopping center across the street. if this center is going to be redeveloped, it would be nice to let santa clara and cupertino pick up the housing slack and san jose focus on offices above the commercial. there would be lots of interest this close to the space ship.

CAAndrew liked this post
Old November 14th, 2019, 12:08 AM   #24379
SJNewKid

Likes (Received): 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaTeresaHills View Post
Noticed this sign posted this week. Don't know when it went up.

CAAndrew, jawz liked this post
SJNewKid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2019, 02:45 AM   #24380
flubuk

Likes (Received): 454

BART Phase II public meetings schedule:
https://www.vta.org/projects/bart-sv/phase-ii/public-involvement

CAAndrew liked this post
flubuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags