San José Development News - Page 108 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Bay Area » projects and proposals | transportation and infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 24th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #2141
jbush81

Likes (Received): 27

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/n...-san-jose.html

This would be a great place for residential and bottom floor retail... here's to hoping someone steps up and builds something great!
jbush81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #2142
robertee

Likes (Received): 1553

Some interesting news...

Quote:
Want to build a high rise? Prime Downtown SJ lot up for grabs

The city of San Jose is seeking a developer to transform one of the best located -- but underused -- downtown chunks of land into a signature mixed-use high-rise project.

But in a twist, the property being offered to market includes not just city-owned dirt, but a privately owned parcel next door as well.

Up for grabs is 180 Park Ave., the exhibit space better known as Parkside Hall; and 200 Park Ave., a long-vacant office property owned by well-known area real estate company Terrence J. Rose Inc. The contiguous parcels add up to a nearly 2-acre land opportunity at the high-profile corner of Park Avenue and Almaden Boulevard.

"It's such a great site, kitty corner from Adobe and right across from the Center for Performing Arts," said Nanci Klein, deputy director for the city's Office of Economic Development.

The office recently issued a "request for qualifications" to gauge developers' interest and ideas for the property. And time is of the essence: Interested parties have until Nov. 13 at 5 p.m. to submit questions and Dec. 13 to submit qualifications.

While the Terry Rose site has been in play several times in the past -- only to see deals fall through -- officials say offering the two sites together should be extremely attractive by providing the possibility for a larger project. Parkside Hall sits on a roughly 30,000 square foot parcel while the Terry Rose property is about 28,000 square feet.

At Almaden and Park, the city is seeking a development team that would build a high-rise residential tower or Class A office building with ground-floor retail, according to the RFQ document. But city officials are open to other possibilities as well, such as a hotel/residential hybrid, as has been possible in other metro areas.

Both the city and Terry Rose are working together on the offering, but the developer would acquire the pieces separately. The city would require a project to cover both parcels as a condition of sale.

For the city-owned parcel, the developer has several options: It could buy the property outright, lease the ground from the city, or acquire the parcel in trade for reconstructing Parkside Hall into the new development. The Terry Rose parcel is being offered for sale.

Parkside is leased to Team San Jose, and one of its biggest users is the adjacent The Tech Museum of Innovation. Klein said The Tech is supportive of the development possibilities, which could greatly enliven the block.

A project on the site could go as high as 22 or 23 stories, Klein said. Height is a requirement of any project, Liccardo said.

"In the past we've seen proposals for that site that didn't meet our high standard for dense development in our core," Liccardo said. "I expect we'll have a partnership going forward in which we're on the same page."

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/n....html?page=all

bobby_guz_man liked this post
robertee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 02:51 AM   #2143
usedmedia

Likes (Received): 138

If I'm correct, isn't Parkside Hall the space The Tech museum uses for hosting traveling exhibits? Like Star Wars, Mythbusters, etc.

Those rotating shows seem to be a big draw so hopefully the museum has an alternate space lined up.
usedmedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2013, 02:57 AM   #2144
surrill

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedmedia View Post
If I'm correct, isn't Parkside Hall the space The Tech museum uses for hosting traveling exhibits? Like Star Wars, Mythbusters, etc.

Those rotating shows seem to be a big draw so hopefully the museum has an alternate space lined up.
On a different note, I love the Tech and all, but man is it uuuuuuuuugly! A paint job or facade work is defiantly in order. That color is just ridiculous ugly
surrill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 04:02 AM   #2145
robertee

Likes (Received): 1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrill View Post
On a different note, I love the Tech and all, but man is it uuuuuuuuugly! A paint job or facade work is defiantly in order. That color is just ridiculous ugly
I think The Tech is fine, it's one of the few distinctive buildings in downtown. Bold/vibrant colors were part of Legorreta's signature style (he also did the Children's Discovery Museum).
robertee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 05:02 AM   #2146
arturo
Downtown San Jose

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertee View Post
I think The Tech is fine, it's one of the few distinctive buildings in downtown. Bold/vibrant colors were part of Legorreta's signature style (he also did the Children's Discovery Museum).
I agree. The Tech and Discovery Museum are the only two buildings people can say "Yeah, that's a [architect's name]." They bring much needed color and profiles downtown.
Old October 24th, 2013, 05:41 AM   #2147
ampheon

Likes (Received): 303

I appreciate The Tech and Discovery Museum. Watching a movie at the IMAX theater is tough on the neck, though.

Hey, one of my posts on page 106 was deleted without justification. Is there a moderator who can explain their action?
ampheon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #2148
bobby_guz_man

Likes (Received): 663

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampheon View Post
I appreciate The Tech and Discovery Museum. Watching a movie at the IMAX theater is tough on the neck, though.

Hey, one of my posts on page 106 was deleted without justification. Is there a moderator who can explain their action?
Picture of turds hurt the eyes. Think of the children!!!

robertee liked this post
bobby_guz_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #2149
ampheon

Deleting a post over a little poo, something we all do... Freedom of speech?

Last edited by ampheon; October 24th, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old October 24th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #2150
pesto

Likes (Received): 4113

Unless you are dealing with the government "freedom of speech" means "freedom to post anything the site owner wants to see".
pesto está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #2151
hugostiglitz

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:

I reported it because it wasn't aesthetically pleasing.

Wanna look at some shit, go to bathroom bro.

robertee liked this post
hugostiglitz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #2152
ampheon

Right. It was SO offensive and derogatory like an aborted baby. Shame on me for posting something none of us do on a daily basis. **** National Geographic. **** the ability to speak openly and honestly. Let's all return to dancing bananas . Happy?
Old October 24th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #2153
Xynoplas

I look upon my behavior on someone else's blog or webpage as if I am in someone else's living room. I watch my manners.

In my own living room, I can whatever the hell I want, and you'd better watch your manners there.

If you want to do what you want, make your own website.

robertee liked this post
Xynoplas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #2154
ampheon

If you're concerned with a little poo, then I would stop using the Internet. Period. Forget Reddit. Definitely do not Google "2 girls 1 cup".

I am not offended when people shit at my house - it happens all the time. It happens in your house too, and all over the internet so stop complaining. Shit happens. Don't be a freak to it. More importantly: People should be able to speak open and honestly wherever they go.

Here's the thing: There was a message or legitimate argument in comparing the affordable housing project to fruit loops and the brown coloring of crap. It was not just provocative, but artistically conveying a message on color selection. That message, I fear, is what people who flagged it want to prevent, not the extreme nature of poop. People want this project to go forward so bad they want to limit the things said about the project. And this is what I find wrong. So love your dumb bananas.

Now, I can take my hits. Some people on here did not like it - the post itself had several "likes". At the end of the day, I thought we were all in this together, trying to build a better, bigger city. I once called this my second online home, but I guess it's not a place filled with people wanting my contributions. I'll have to find an alternative spot to spend the majority of my time filled with people who enjoy speaking open and honestly, fighting for a city for all our people.

Last edited by ampheon; October 24th, 2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old October 24th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #2155
JoshuaSantos
thesanjoseblog.com

Likes (Received): 78

Okay, I think we're all over the poo... let's get to some new San Jose stuff =)

robertee liked this post
JoshuaSantos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #2156
Urbanatic

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaSantos View Post
Okay, I think we're all over the poo... let's get to some new San Jose stuff =)
what he said.
Urbanatic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #2157
francomarco

Likes (Received): 4

Agreed
francomarco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #2158
bobby_guz_man

Ampheon, next time you want to use a picture of poop, just use a picture of the snake statue in Downtown instead, and we'll instantly know what you're trying to say

God I hate that piece of SH!t statue with a vengeance....
Old October 25th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #2159
bobby_guz_man

Quote:
Now, I can take my hits. Some people on here did not like it - the post itself had several "likes". At the end of the day, I thought we were all in this together, trying to build a better, bigger city. I once called this my second online home, but I guess it's not a place filled with people wanting my contributions. I'll have to find an alternative spot to spend the majority of my time filled with people who enjoy speaking open and honestly, fighting for a city for all our people.
Calm down dude! And come back to the forum, you looney!

I actually didn't mind the poop picture, thought it was funny as hell haha! But yeah, get your ass back in the forum!
Old October 25th, 2013, 01:35 AM   #2160
Xynoplas

Now let's back to drooling over sexy skyscrapers:
Advertisement

Tags
san josé