Beorma Quarter | Phase 2 | Mixed-Use | 30fl | 113m | Appr. - Page 54 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2018, 08:33 PM   #1061
SMUK86

Likes (Received): 1388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force_alfa View Post
Agreed, as I think all of us know that this is very unlikely it’s going to ever be built. I just don’t think they have the cash to build it.

Most likely be sold off in the next 6/12 months
Totally agree and have been saying the same for some time, this is dead in the water in its current form/ownership in my opinion.
SMUK86 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2018, 09:28 PM   #1062
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17894

Protective covering has been put up to protect existing building

Kingsheathen liked this post
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 10:19 PM   #1063
blueboy

Likes (Received): 509

Im not sure this is the right place for a high rise anyway.

NeilM liked this post
blueboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2018, 10:27 PM   #1064
Brum X

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy View Post
Im not sure this is the right place for a high rise anyway.
This is a perfect place opposite our iconic Selfridges building in my opinion.

Mosleyan, Develo liked this post
Old March 28th, 2018, 11:04 PM   #1065
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum X View Post
On what basis?

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 11:22 PM   #1066
Brum X

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
On what basis?
Well why not ? It is a prominent location that could become even more prominent with a high rise tower and it will also act as a continuation of our city centre and make people feel that they are still in our city centre rather than leaving it. A tall tower will do that in my opinion so a massive thumbs up from me.
Old March 28th, 2018, 11:32 PM   #1067
Brum X

An alternative proposal could be something on the scale of The Forum on Pershore street. Do we really want to build something of this scale on this site ? To me that would be a massive lost opportunity to make the city centre look much bigger and exciting.
Old March 28th, 2018, 11:47 PM   #1068
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2740

I just don’t see it as a perfect location. Everything here is mid to low rise. I do t think tall buildings signal a city centre either. I don’t think it’s the wrong location for a tower but I don’t think it’s the right location.

To me I think it might start feeling a bit like Big Peg if it spreads further into the dense part of Digbeth. Imo this street lends itself to an urban grain similar to Great Charles Street. I think the multi storey was illconceived but I also think this is also.

Tooley Street in London (excluding the Shard obviously as it looms over the road) is a good example of the height and density that I would think is more appropriate with the future Smithfield tower looming over.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

Typhoon2000 liked this post

Last edited by djay; March 29th, 2018 at 12:09 AM.
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 11:55 PM   #1069
Ppmb80
PSS1980

Likes (Received): 545

No one has a clue whether this is happening or not so why not just wait and see before we write it off completely !!!
Ppmb80 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2018, 12:01 AM   #1070
Brum X

Awesome

cyril sneer, Kingsheathen liked this post
Old March 29th, 2018, 12:50 AM   #1071
Ppmb80
PSS1980

Quote:

Awesome
I agree. I love the brick work on the lower floors for the office element sits nicely then glass above for apartments personally hope it happens.
Old March 29th, 2018, 09:38 AM   #1072
blueboy

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Thats my point though, it would obstruct the view of selffridges as you approached through digbeth or from a distance on that side of the city. I feel selffridges is already blighted being directly opposite a multistory carpark, it should really be next to an open space or a park imo, plus it interrupts the "flow" from the city centre down through the bullring into digbeth.

Not to say I don't like the tower, just think its better suited elsewhere. That said, I would image this is prime area for a tower with Curzon St being so close.
blueboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2018, 12:16 PM   #1073
Force_alfa

Likes (Received): 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppmb80 View Post
No one has a clue whether this is happening or not so why not just wait and see before we write it off completely !!!
Hope your right, the tower would be excellent here..

But you have to admit it’s looking very slim chance of this being built. That’s all we are saying, our heart says yes please but our brains are saying no chance
Force_alfa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2018, 01:27 PM   #1074
daj

Likes (Received): 358

What's happened to the original design for a tower which was quite original?
daj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2018, 10:34 PM   #1075
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 7728

Birds eye view of the demolition from Moor Street Car Park.

And from the Parametric Bridge to Selfridges.

Back of the ex Digbeth Cold Storage building now for The Prince's Trust. Will HRH The Prince of Wales come and open it? (not during the Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast 2018 in Australia).

ellbrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2018, 11:09 PM   #1076
planecrazy-20

Likes (Received): 82

Hi guys. I posted here before, but let me reintroduce myself. I used to live in Birmingham, and closely (and quietly) follow development in your amazing city. Thank you to everyone who puts the effort into posting and keeping those of us that unfortunately moved away updated.

I also have a soft spot for this development as its being developed by a company from my native Kuwait.

I thought I'd update you on what Salhiya are currently up to, and why I think it has lead to a delay with Beorma phase 2.

Theyre currently building a mixed use tower/mall called Assima in Kuwait which i think they are focusing on at the moment.

However my contacts tell that Beorma is still very much on the cards and they do intend to build. I really hope thats true, and I hope we see this rise very soon!

I'll try to get more info and keep you guys updated on this
planecrazy-20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2018, 11:27 PM   #1077
Ppmb80
PSS1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by planecrazy-20 View Post
Hi guys. I posted here before, but let me reintroduce myself. I used to live in Birmingham, and closely (and quietly) follow development in your amazing city. Thank you to everyone who puts the effort into posting and keeping those of us that unfortunately moved away updated.

I also have a soft spot for this development as its being developed by a company from my native Kuwait.

I thought I'd update you on what Salhiya are currently up to, and why I think it has lead to a delay with Beorma phase 2.

Theyre currently building a mixed use tower/mall called Assima in Kuwait which i think they are focusing on at the moment.

However my contacts tell that Beorma is still very much on the cards and they do intend to build. I really hope thats true, and I hope we see this rise very soon!

I'll try to get more info and keep you guys updated on this
Welcome back and thank you for sharing this.

Planning permission runs out on this December this year so would be interesting to know if your contacts predict a start on the tower this year.. .

Either way pleased to hear it is still planned ...
Old March 30th, 2018, 03:39 PM   #1078
miniwilko

Likes (Received): 146

In the pics Ell posted it says Moda on the unit next to Bullring Tavern. Guessing that is unrelated to the Moda that is developing on Broad St?

Found out it is a photography studio. Logo looked similar.

ellbrown liked this post
miniwilko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2018, 04:30 PM   #1079
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 7728

Last bit demolished near Park Street!

Brum X liked this post
ellbrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2018, 07:03 PM   #1080
Mosleyan

Likes (Received): 4677

Hey guys, quite positive news, I went to Salhia's official website, and they recently published an Annual report 2017, summarizing the last year up to 31.12.2017. There's a section dedicated to Beorma quarter and, among other things it reads:

Quote:
...Development of new prime residential stock, especially in the City Centre, is limited. Supply is expected to pick up during 2018, but there will still be an annual shortfall. Birmingham’s mix of regeneration, re-development and job creation, as well as the relatively lower entry price for property, means that its draw to homebuyers and investors is likely to continue to grow for the foreseeable future. Phase 1 of the Beorma Quarter having been completed, the 108 room Adagio aparthotel continues to trade very successfully at around a 90% occupancy rate. Three floors of the Grade II Listed Coldstore in Phase 1 have now been let to The Prince’s Trust as their Midlands Headquarters and they have committed to a very significant fit out expenditure. One of the two retail units under the Adagio hotel is also under offer to a major tenant. This will significantly enhance the profile of the scheme. Demolition has commenced on site in preparation for commencement of construction of Phases 2 & 3 of the scheme, to include the 30 storey tower and this is progressing well. The Beorma Quarter will be a very exciting development which has already attracted major occupiers and which will contribute significantly to the changing face of Birmingham City Centre.
You can find the full thing here
Mosleyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement