Beorma Quarter | Phase 2 | Mixed-Use | 30fl | 113m | Appr. - Page 8 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 7th, 2015, 01:48 PM   #141
Tony Bear
Up the cut!
 
Tony Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,971
Likes (Received): 867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
Tony out of interest are you a member of any heritage bodies in Brum because various organisations are looking for new and active members?
I'm not part of any organisation, but I have helped promote various projects and continue to do so and have a huge interest in Brum's heritage and history in general. I applied for funding to help promote the local heritage in a more robust way this year but I stumbled at the point where I needed to be a not for profit organisation, which I am not.

Would be interested to know more though Bio, if you could PM meany info please. Thank you.
Tony Bear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old October 7th, 2015, 07:28 PM   #142
U475 Foxtrot
Registered User
 
U475 Foxtrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 5,499
Likes (Received): 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bear View Post
You only have to look at the way Manchester's science and industry museum is free to all and how Birmingham's is now a shadow of its former self and has a high entrance fee which makes it unavailable for many families on a working wage.
It may be free to all but the place has it's own problems. The current administration have decided to sever the Ordsall Chord which is one of the most significant pieces of railway heritage in the world and it also sounds like they're on the cusp of dumping the aircraft

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...anchester-line
http://www.manchesterconfidential.co...-space-gallery
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 07:52 PM   #143
Tony Bear
Up the cut!
 
Tony Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,971
Likes (Received): 867

Blimey, that's a shame, a great gallery.
Tony Bear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old October 7th, 2015, 07:59 PM   #144
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?
 
Erebus555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bristol
Posts: 32,693
Likes (Received): 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bear View Post
Nothing personal but I think you should try and read people's posts properly, before jumping the gun. I did not state the Council should force the developers/owners to incorporate any thing at all so really don't know why you decided to imagine that up and then argue against it?

I said: "Shame they could not have some how brought the Golden Lion back as part of this scheme with additional funding sought."

The archaeological work is important, I don't doubt that but really, let's say they discovered an ancient Anglo Saxon burial ground... Do you honestly think the development would be shelved? At best it will be removed and placed in a museum, but most likely it will be documented and concreted over where no one can see for another 100 years.

The relevance is in the fact that the Council try to make out they actually care about the heritage of Birmingham when, in my opinion, there are blindingly obvious examples of severe neglect of the city's heritage standing as we speak, exposed, in the rain and damp rotting away. This applies to all Councils for as long as I can remember. And if the Council is "bankrupt", which some people make out, then funding should be sought to preserve the Golden Lion, as other cities and towns do so well. You only have to look at the way Manchester's science and industry museum is free to all and how Birmingham's is now a shadow of its former self and has a high entrance fee which makes it unavailable for many families on a working wage.

For the record, and I'm not going into detail on a public forum, I spent three months looking into grants and funding from local and national organisations and actually spoke to someone from the Council in depth about what was on offer, and who can offer what, to whom and who has already had their shares (even within or connected to the Council). So I have a pretty good idea what is possible and what kind of money has been and possibly still is around for a project like this seeing as it is so important to the city. Because there are so few examples of this architecture left within the city, AND it would have seen action during the Battle of Birmingham in the 17th century.

I think it is a very negative attitude to assume "nothing can be done", where there is a will there is a way and I am sure it isn't going to break Birmingham City Council to relocate or at least save in storage one of the city's oldest surviving buildings, which stood in the original town of Birmingham.
I admit I didn't see your following post, hence the wording of my own.

But my point still roughly stands in that seeking money from the developer for a building a few miles away is simply unenforceable. This development has no impact on the current state of the Golden Lion.

As you must be aware with getting grants for the restoration of historic buildings, organisations are only mindful to allocate resources to such projects where there is a feasible plan in place for the building's future use and economic upkeep. Even with one of these, it's very much a lottery. I don't know if there is a future usage or feasibility plan in place for the Golden Lion but there does not appear to be anything concrete. I highly doubt dismantling the building and putting it into storage is a plan that would excite organisations into contributing to the cost. I wouldn't say that this is through a lack of willingness by the council, as the building in its current state is costing them money.

When you consider the huge issues facing the council's departments coupled with further imminent funding cuts and a potential impending compensation bill running into the hundreds of millions of pounds, forking out for the restoration of the building will very easily slip far down the council's priorities.

I agree that if there's a will, there's a way but I think we collectively have to lower our expectations of what the council can achieve on their own regarding it. I genuinely hope something can be done to preserve the building in the near future for the long term, and I believe that the only way to do this is through some other organisation or the community developing and driving a plan for it.
__________________
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 09:04 PM   #145
Tony Bear
Up the cut!
 
Tony Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,971
Likes (Received): 867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
I admit I didn't see your following post, hence the wording of my own.

But my point still roughly stands in that seeking money from the developer for a building a few miles away is simply unenforceable. This development has no impact on the current state of the Golden Lion.

As you must be aware with getting grants for the restoration of historic buildings, organisations are only mindful to allocate resources to such projects where there is a feasible plan in place for the building's future use and economic upkeep. Even with one of these, it's very much a lottery. I don't know if there is a future usage or feasibility plan in place for the Golden Lion but there does not appear to be anything concrete. I highly doubt dismantling the building and putting it into storage is a plan that would excite organisations into contributing to the cost. I wouldn't say that this is through a lack of willingness by the council, as the building in its current state is costing them money.

When you consider the huge issues facing the council's departments coupled with further imminent funding cuts and a potential impending compensation bill running into the hundreds of millions of pounds, forking out for the restoration of the building will very easily slip far down the council's priorities.

I agree that if there's a will, there's a way but I think we collectively have to lower our expectations of what the council can achieve on their own regarding it. I genuinely hope something can be done to preserve the building in the near future for the long term, and I believe that the only way to do this is through some other organisation or the community developing and driving a plan for it.
Why does it have to be a drain financially though, if the council could rebuild it somewhere accessible, if not Digbeth somewhere in the city centre as part of another development then they would be within their right to sell it on perhaps with a grade listing and limits of use. We keep hearing so much about the city's renaissance with all this investment, I am sure an ancient pub like this within reach of the hoards of visitors to the city would be an attraction, Eastside? Digbeth? The heart of Arena Central? Or move it to Paradise as many of the bulidings there so far look really awful with the latest renders I have seen, and have not gone down particularly well.

I personally think a museum would be nice, but most likely not profitable, a pub would have more potential.

Like you say, it needs a clear plan of action and damn quick to save it.
Tony Bear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 02:51 PM   #146
daumal
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Greater Gornal
Posts: 1,894
Likes (Received): 600

Going off topic now, but I always thought you could keep it where it is now and turn it into some sort of micropub, opening from midday until sunset or something. I'm sure it would do well enough to survive, although admittedly nowhere near well enough to pay back any sort of commercial investment in its refurbishment.

Tony Bear: you've reminded me that I saw posters in Cannon Hill Park asking for people to get in touch to sort out something about the future of the Golden Lion - I've had it on my to-do list for ages and will now finally get round to it today. If you're interested the email address is [email protected].

And now, I'm sure there's a better thread somewhere around to hold these sorts of discussions - anyone got one?
__________________
If you're gonna quote from the Book of Revelation
Don't keep calling it the Book of Revelations
There's no 's', it's the Book of Revelation
As revealed to St John the Divine.
daumal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 06:12 PM   #147
Forward19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 139
Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bear View Post
Why does it have to be a drain financially though, if the council could rebuild it somewhere accessible, if not Digbeth somewhere in the city centre as part of another development then they would be within their right to sell it on perhaps with a grade listing and limits of use. We keep hearing so much about the city's renaissance with all this investment, I am sure an ancient pub like this within reach of the hoards of visitors to the city would be an attraction, Eastside? Digbeth? The heart of Arena Central? Or move it to Paradise as many of the bulidings there so far look really awful with the latest renders I have seen, and have not gone down particularly well.

I personally think a museum would be nice, but most likely not profitable, a pub would have more potential.

Like you say, it needs a clear plan of action and damn quick to save it.
Agree 100 %. Birmingham has a paucity of such buildings full stop but proper historic boozers ( not just victorian) like this are manifold in London, if we could get one in the centre of town i really do think it would give brum city centre another side to it's character.... maybe even change a perception or two
Forward19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 06:26 PM   #148
Tony Bear
Up the cut!
 
Tony Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,971
Likes (Received): 867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward19 View Post
Agree 100 %. Birmingham has a paucity of such buildings full stop but proper historic boozers ( not just victorian) like this are manifold in London, if we could get one in the centre of town i really do think it would give brum city centre another side to it's character.... maybe even change a perception or two
Thanks for the email address I will contact em.

And yeah, I always love that old tudor style pub in Bristol where the live bands play, what a great venue and this could be something quite special.
Tony Bear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 06:58 PM   #149
Sopwith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 385
Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bear View Post
Thanks for the email address I will contact em.

And yeah, I always love that old tudor style pub in Bristol where the live bands play, what a great venue and this could be something quite special.
Well letīs lead the way on here by starting a campaign to restore it and take it home. Get the Mail involved, Carl Chinn, local celebrities, local businesses especially in Digbeth. What kind of funding is needed...a million? More or less? No idea.

Last edited by Sopwith; October 8th, 2015 at 07:09 PM.
Sopwith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 07:14 PM   #150
djay
The promised land
 
djay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 15,241
Likes (Received): 2735

Probably a few million if you are moving it. That won't include the cost of site purchase if the site isn't gifted. TO restore it where it is will obviously be less.
__________________

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2015, 02:59 PM   #151
CityHub
Registered User
 
CityHub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 142
Likes (Received): 20

Birmingham has definitely taken over Manchester's place by overtaking it, the only tallest building in Manchester is that Beetham Tower, Birmingham's definitely getting more Skyscrapers than Manchester
CityHub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2015, 03:00 PM   #152
CityHub
Registered User
 
CityHub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 142
Likes (Received): 20

The Beorma Quarter Phase 2 is being built I think
CityHub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2015, 03:02 PM   #153
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!
 
Harborne Ultimatum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 10,975
Likes (Received): 2710

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityHub View Post
Birmingham has definitely taken over Manchester's place by overtaking it
__________________
Harborne Ultimatum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2015, 03:45 PM   #154
Birmingham
Now Tamworth
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,744
Likes (Received): 5265

__________________
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2015, 06:57 PM   #155
Charity-Spring
Charity-Spring
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Manchester
Posts: 2,339
Likes (Received): 1593

With regards to the building l think it's a cracker and though l hope things happen with it soon l will be happy when l see an 'U/C' on the thread title. On the subject of CityHub's intellectual offerings l think that the guy is a genius. He must have been born in the jewellery quarter as the dude is a gem. To have so many pointers to demonstrate his vacuous way of thinking in one sentence he must surely be a most welcome pea-shooter in the Brum' posters arsenal. l somehow suspect that he will sadly never have an element iin the periodic table named after him. - Just a hunch though.
__________________
Charity-Spring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2015, 07:13 PM   #156
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!
 
Harborne Ultimatum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 10,975
Likes (Received): 2710

__________________

ROYAL BLUE, Charity-Spring, fruit&nut liked this post
Harborne Ultimatum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2015, 07:14 PM   #157
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!
 
Harborne Ultimatum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 10,975
Likes (Received): 2710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charity-Spring View Post
He must have been born in the jewellery quarter as the dude is a gem.
This was unexpected and brilliant.
__________________

Charity-Spring liked this post
Harborne Ultimatum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2015, 08:22 PM   #158
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1
 
ReissOmari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 21,349
Likes (Received): 14912

You know its good when HU 'likes' your post
__________________
ReissOmari..




Charity-Spring liked this post
ReissOmari está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2015, 08:58 PM   #159
Charity-Spring
Charity-Spring
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Manchester
Posts: 2,339
Likes (Received): 1593

Thankyou gentlemen. None of us are immune ( I top that list when l've been on the ol' 'Dogwalker') to the odd regerttable post, so l didn't mean to be too harsh. l'm glad that my last one found favour. Back on topic now l really do think that this statement project is a classy one, though l am also aware that render to finished goods can contain many a difference in reality. Good luck in getting it built.
Charity-Spring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 01:48 PM   #160
Birmingham
Now Tamworth
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,744
Likes (Received): 5265

As suspected Looks like BAM staying on site and starting demolition soon.

Quote:
Beorma Quarter brief for Pennycuick Collins
05:00, 27 OCT 2015 UPDATED 10:37, 27 OCT 2015

----


Birmingham-based Pennycuick Collins has been appointed to deliver property management services and will be responsible for a range of services from rent and service charge collection to lease management and building maintenance.

Richard Thorne, commercial property consultant at Pennycuick Collins, said: "The Beorma Quarter is a very exciting development for the city and, having been involved in it from the beginning, we're now really looking forward to seeing it take shape in the coming months.

"Plans for the Beorma Quarter include Birmingham's tallest office building fronting on to the Bullring and Digbeth, close to the Wholesale Markets that is also scheduled for redevelopment.

BAM Construction, which built the first phase of the Beorma Quarter, is also due to start demolition work in preparation for phases two and three which will contain office buildings, apartments and retail units.

Salhia Investments plans to demolish and renovate existing buildings and erect three new towers on land bounded by Park Street and Digbeth next to Bullring Car Park.

A 30-storey tower, directly opposite Selfridges, is set to become the third tallest building in Birmingham after the BT Tower and Radisson Blu hotel if built as proposed in phase two of the Beorma Quarter.
http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/busi...llins-10333957
__________________
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KTM: THE 620km East Coast Rail Link (ECRL) nazrey Pengangkutan 2969 Today 11:13 AM
BRAZIL | Urban Transport Compilation mopc Subways and Urban Transport 2239 Today 08:12 AM
JAKARTA | Projects & Construction ncon City/Metro Compilations 5584 Yesterday 09:09 AM
DEVELOPMENT SUMMARY - Newcastle Metro Area Forum: Projects Listing newcastlepubs Newcastle Metro Area 0 February 7th, 2010 07:32 PM


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us