Whatever Happened To .... - Page 29 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2019, 09:36 PM   #561
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
Only a guess but it's possibly such a big app that it's taking a long time to validate it.
Unlikely to be validation delays unless there is an issue with documents being wrong or missing. The size of the app may impact it being online to view though.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2019, 10:04 PM   #562
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 5132

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Unlikely to be validation delays unless there is an issue with documents being wrong or missing. The size of the app may impact it being online to view though.

That was what I meant.
RalphGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 10:29 AM   #563
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2224

Whatever happened to ANYONE being able to get something out of the ground at Edgbaston Mill?
We have a world famous cricket ground (with conference facilities) next to a beautiful park and the MAC, the Priory tennis club just up the road, in probably the most exclusive area in Birmingham, its crying out for a first class striking hotel. Instead the cameras of the world look beyond the ground and see wasteland on two sides, but particularly here.
It as been empty now for close to 20 years now, its must be a PRIME development site in every way. It really really annoys me nobody can come forward and make something happen.. I hate to say it but I'd rather see Lidl come in and offer some competition to Aldi than look at this overgrown mess any longer..

Old September 22nd, 2019, 02:41 PM   #564
rotundazag

Likes (Received): 1233

Whatever Happened To ....

a quality hotel & throw in a tram link aswell - imagine that, seamless public transport direct to a world class sports arena - but I can only dream...

jonfsnow liked this post
rotundazag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 03:51 PM   #565
djay
The promised land

Surely if the site was so prime, it would be developed so shouldn’t we assume that the site isn’t attractive to the market?

Old September 22nd, 2019, 03:54 PM   #566
RalphGuy

Would that also apply to the Bomb site?

rotundazag liked this post
Old September 22nd, 2019, 06:59 PM   #567
ComPurch

Likes (Received): 852

There are flood plain problems associated with the undeveloped Edgbaston Mill site.

Bitd I joined SSC to keep track of the then-proposed luxury hotel etc development.

Somewhere over on that redundant thread is a post I made about discovering a 'flooding'

report thing on the net.It seemed to sound the death knell to further work at the site.

I, too, am more than aghast at the waste of potential there, and hope the forthcoming

housing work over the road will kick-start something...
ComPurch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 09:32 PM   #568
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17878

Exchange Square Phase 2 == Planning Decision ???

Hopefully they will say NO
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 09:51 PM   #569
djay
The promised land

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
Would that also apply to the Bomb site?
There are only really three reasons sites don’t get developed. They are either too constrained, unviable or not for sale. Obviously two of these will mean it’s not prime.

If I remember most of the land around there is in a flood zone.

Old September 22nd, 2019, 10:44 PM   #570
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2224

and strange that Hemisphere
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComPurch View Post
There are flood plain problems associated with the undeveloped Edgbaston Mill site.

Bitd I joined SSC to keep track of the then-proposed luxury hotel etc development.

Somewhere over on that redundant thread is a post I made about discovering a 'flooding'

report thing on the net.It seemed to sound the death knell to further work at the site.

With all the engineering feats possible today I'm amazed they can't address this, it stands within yards of Hemispere and no problems there and to the other side Edgbaston CC itself and no problems there, the river runs by both these schemes?? but if it is unviable to develop, would be nice if the owners could just make it a nice green public space and take down those awful hoardings.
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2019, 11:24 AM   #571
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8197

I couldn’t imagine the rea flooding there I’ve seen it when it’s been really bad heavy consistent rain and it’s deep enough to not flood the car parks nearer?

I seem to remember the issues were down to drainage for the site may be linked to excess surface water not being allowed to enter the rea perhaps?

A few operators have been linked with the site now with loads of planning apps over the years not too long back workmen were on site doing some ground investigations too

I wouldn’t be surprised if the edgbaston cricket residential scheme goes ahead the site is turned into the coach park for the cricket ground in all honesty....
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2019, 12:08 PM   #572
djay
The promised land

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
I couldnít imagine the rea flooding there Iíve seen it when itís been really bad heavy consistent rain and itís deep enough to not flood the car parks nearer?
It is definitely in the floodzone.

Old September 26th, 2019, 02:59 PM   #573
Hasaandoo

Likes (Received): 1759

Connaught squareeeeeee where has it gone toooo
Hasaandoo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2019, 03:09 PM   #574
Brummyboy92
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1583

Also, the Lebanese restaurant in Grand Central?

Hoardings have been up for agessssss.

Hasaandoo, ReissOmari liked this post
Brummyboy92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2019, 03:11 PM   #575
RalphGuy

I don't knowwwww.
Old September 26th, 2019, 03:28 PM   #576
Hasaandoo

Likes (Received): 1759

Whatever Happened To ....

I see what you guys done there

RalphGuy liked this post
Hasaandoo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2019, 07:10 PM   #577
RalphGuy

It's two months since the Martineau Galleries planning app was submitted and it still isn't on the planning portal. What on earth is going on with it?

Lucas98 liked this post
Old September 27th, 2019, 07:35 PM   #578
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8197

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
It is definitely in the floodzone.
I believe it is but when was the last time it flooded here? I’m sure with MAC it would be on the local news atleast

Compare it with the area around pebble mill upstream which regularly floods this hasn’t as far as I’m aware during them events

Even so pebble mill student block development funded the tunnelling under the pershore road to reduce flooding risk here so don’t see why edgbaston mill would be any different, if anything it’s a safer bet to build here than pebble mill if the issue is flooding
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 09:41 PM   #579
djay
The promised land

Quote:
I believe it is but when was the last time it flooded here? I’m sure with MAC it would be on the local news atleast
Maybe so but that’s not how flood zones work. At the basic level, the difference between the MAC and a hotel is that people won’t be sleeping when it floods so it’s not particularly comparable. I’m any case flood zones aren’t flood zones because they flood often.

Quote:
Compare it with the area around pebble mill upstream which regularly floods this hasn’t as far as I’m aware during them events
Doesn’t mean it wouldnt flood in a different type of flood event. It might be that flooding Pebble Mill might be the reason why this site doesn’t flood.

For instance, if the area around Pebble Mill flooded and we had a similar rain fall event before the previous flood subsides it is possible that this site would then flood and that would be the reason why it’s in the flood zone.

To illustrate, Pebble Mill might flood in a 1 in 30 year rainfall event. If that flood was followed by a 1 in 100 year event you’d expect more places to flood. What we don’t know is the type of rainfall event that causes Pebble Mill to flood.

Quote:
Even so pebble mill student block development funded the tunnelling under the pershore road to reduce flooding risk here so don’t see why edgbaston mill would be any different, if anything it’s a safer bet to build here than pebble mill if the issue is flooding
Then the site must just be unattractive for a hotel compared to student resi near the uni. That’s as must as we can take from the two completely different sites.

I’m not saying a solution cannot be found and the flood zone is what is killing it.

Old September 28th, 2019, 12:55 PM   #580
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 2027

Make it into a park with an amphitheatre then and when the cricket season starts bring in the food and drink shacks and big screen. Just do something with it.

And well done Ralph for highlighting the really annoying use of multi letters on posts - what is wrong with forumers that do it?? It's so immature.
Advertisement