The most Asian city on WC? - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West

West Coast and Interior West CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID, BC
» Development News | Albuquerque | Las Vegas | Los Angeles | San Francisco Bay Area | Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 27th, 2006, 05:39 AM   #61
Silicon Francisco

Likes (Received): 0

My personal rankings for "Asian-ness" and for fun, some ancestry (no 1 per cent'ers)

1-SF
Going to Chinatown or J-Town is a [relatively] cultural experience, much less hassle than going to Asia!

· Chinese, except Taiwanese - 21%
· Irish - 8%
· Black or African American - 8%
· German - 7%
· Mexican - 6%
· Filipino - 6%
· English - 6%
· Italian - 5%
· Other Hispanic or Latino - 3%
· Central American: - 3%
· Russian - 3%
· French (except Basque) - 2%
· Japanese - 2%
· Polish - 2%
· Vietnamese - 2%
· Scottish - 2%

2-LA
· Mexican - 30%
· Black or African American - 11%
· Other Hispanic or Latino - 9%
· Central American: - 6%
· German - 5%
· Irish - 4%
· English - 3%
· Salvadoran - 3%
· Filipino - 3%
· Italian - 3%
· Korean - 3%
· Russian - 2%
· Chinese, except Taiwanese - 2%
· Guatemalan - 2%
· Armenian - 2%
· Polish - 2%

3-SJ
The Silicon Valley is too 'Americanized' and suburban

· Mexican - 25%
· Vietnamese - 9%
· German - 7%
· Chinese, except Taiwanese - 6%
· Filipino - 6%
· Irish - 6%
· English - 5%
· Italian - 5%
· Other Hispanic or Latino - 4%
· Black or African American - 4%
· Indian - 3%
· French (except Basque) - 2%
· Japanese - 2%
· Portuguese - 2%

~-Sea[ttle]

· German - 13%
· Irish - 10%
· English - 10%
· Black or African American - 8%
· Norwegian - 5%
· Chinese, except Taiwanese - 4%
· Filipino - 3%

· Italian - 3%
· Mexican - 3%
· Scottish - 3%
· Swedish - 3%
· French (except Basque) - 3%
· Vietnamese - 2%
· Japanese - 2%

· Polish - 2%
· Scotch-Irish - 2%
· European - 2%
· Dutch - 2%
· Subsaharan African - 2%
· Russian - 2%

When I was in Seattle, I don't think I saw one Asian person, but I saw fish being thrown around. (Not the same thing.)
Silicon Francisco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #62
Booyashako

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay_area
Anyway,
I left out canadian cause defining a canadian is like defining an american? It could mean any race.
I think statcan would include 3rd generation Canadians and on (descendents of the early settlers?) in the "Canadian" group. The other ethnicities, especially visible minorities, would fit into their respective groups.

Quote:
LOL I love TO btw...wish it were located exactly where Eureka, CA is....then Id probably move there.
Many Torontonians would wish the same, though I wouldn't wish for California's outrageous real estate values. I'd like to own a home without having a lifetime mortgage that consumes half of my income .
Old June 27th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #63
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

When I think of "Asian" city I do not think of just having a large population of East and Southeast Asians. The place has to have some of the physical qualities of Asian cities. And in that regard, the most Asian city on the west coast to me is Vancouver.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2006, 09:22 AM   #64
obtuse_edge

Likes (Received): 3

San Francisco doesn't have Asian characteristics? Well, that's a first.

San Francisco definitely has the oldest Chinese settlements in the country. San Francisco is probably the most Asian city. A close next is Vancouver. Then probably Los Angeles. Then it would be Seattle, then Sacramento, then San Diego.

But SF and Sac have the oldest Chinese communities in the Americas.
obtuse_edge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 09:46 AM   #65
spatial

If you're looking for any Filipino communities, all you have to do is find the nearest Jollibee's.
spatial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #66
spongeg

Likes (Received): 2066

i think most people think San Francisco cause of its China Town and it seems so prevalant in movies or pop culture

i heard that LA has a large Armenian population - would they be considered Asian?
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 04:31 AM   #67
obtuse_edge

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongeg View Post
i think most people think San Francisco cause of its China Town and it seems so prevalant in movies or pop culture

i heard that LA has a large Armenian population - would they be considered Asian?
I say SF because the Chinese have been there for a long time and have been very involved with the growth and development of the city. The Chinese have a very strong presence in the real estate industry of the city.

Armenians are not Asians. Actually, Asian is just a blanket term for a range of different cultures. Usually, the term Asian in America applies to Chinese to Filipinos to Indians. You can actually divide the Asians in America to four major groups, the first are the East Asians (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) that most people think when they think of Asians. Then there are the Southeast Asians (Vietnamese, Cambodians, Thais, Filipinos). Then there are the South Asians (Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis). Then you have the Pacific Islanders (Hawaiians, Samoans, Tongans) some people even put Filipinos in this last group, though I think that geographically, physically they are more part of the SE Asian group, though culturally they may have just as many ties to the Pacific Islanders as to other Asians.
obtuse_edge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 05:11 AM   #68
Black Box
Black Box

Likes (Received): 338

Honolulu is included in the West Coast and Interior West Forum, so, Honolulu. My parents are from there and I remember looking at their yearbooks growing up. So many people of Asian descent. Honolulu and the rest of Hawaii has very long, rich and interesting ties with Asia. Those who emigrated to Hawaii did not have as much hostility and discrimination than those who emigrated to the Mainland. The population of Hawaii is very mixed in a way that the Mainland is not. It is evident in the dialect, the food and the customs. Check it out if you have not had the chance.
Black Box no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 06:33 AM   #69
Silicon Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
When I think of "Asian" city I do not think of just having a large population of East and Southeast Asians. The place has to have some of the physical qualities of Asian cities. And in that regard, the most Asian city on the west coast to me is Vancouver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obtuse_edge View Post
San Francisco doesn't have Asian characteristics? Well, that's a first.

San Francisco definitely has the oldest Chinese settlements in the country. San Francisco is probably the most Asian city. A close next is Vancouver. Then probably Los Angeles. Then it would be Seattle, then Sacramento, then San Diego.

But SF and Sac have the oldest Chinese communities in the Americas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Box View Post
Honolulu is included in the West Coast and Interior West Forum, so, Honolulu. My parents are from there and I remember looking at their yearbooks growing up. So many people of Asian descent. Honolulu and the rest of Hawaii has very long, rich and interesting ties with Asia. Those who emigrated to Hawaii did not have as much hostility and discrimination than those who emigrated to the Mainland. The population of Hawaii is very mixed in a way that the Mainland is not. It is evident in the dialect, the food and the customs. Check it out if you have not had the chance.

I think we should consider what the original poster was trying to ask:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZian View Post
As far as US WC goes, I think its SF or Seattle.
The nature of his screenname and location and question say that he's wondering which cities have the largest Asian prescence and nothing else on the US west coast and since major cities from more than one state were stated it isn't just from California and is not considering small cities. When Americans say "west coast" we are always specifically leaving out Canada and Hawaii and since we aren't talking about the western US, we can't include places like Las Vegas, regardless of how SkyscraperCity has defined its regions.

Here are list of major cities that come to mind on the west coast:
Code:

San Francisco, California	30.80%
San Jose, California		26.86%
Oakland, California		15.23%
Sacramento, California		16.62%
San Diego, California		13.60%
Seattle, Wasington		13.10%
Long Beach, California		12.05%
Fresno, California		11.23%
Los Angeles, California		11.10%
Portland, Oregon		06.33%

"San Francisco is a minority-majority city as non-Hispanic Whites make up less than 44% of the population. Asian Americans, principally Chinese, comprise nearly 31% of the population. Hispanics of any race make up just over 14% of the population. At less than 8% of the population, San Francisco has a lower concentration of African Americans than the United States as a whole. Few of San Francisco's residents have lived there their whole lives. Only 35% of its residents were born in California; 39% were born outside the United States."
Old October 18th, 2006, 07:16 AM   #70
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5337

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay_area View Post
But I thought Vancouver beats Toronto? No? So it wouldnt be a stretch to say that a list of "Most asian cities" would be dominated by the west and therefore makes little sense to title this thread in a way as if to say that asians are a novelty here.

And I think these below would all be considered white by US Standards(yes its stupid but that's what it is)
Most southamerican are white too.. And not all of that list are white..

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 03:23 AM   #71
Baltifan

Actually, Monterey Park and Alhambra are in LA County, not Orange County. They are roughly 10 miles North and East of Pasadena, a little farther from DT LA. It seems like I heard that Monterey Park, which is 85 percent Taiwanese is the most "Asian" city in the country by percentage. Garden Grove in OC is pretty high up there for the Vietnamese. But yes, by the numbers, the La Metro Area has the highest number of Asians if not the highest percentage, although this is open to speculation and interpretation. Speculation: You have to keep in mind that there are many thousands of undocumented Asians living in the area, as the LA ports are a MAJOR embarcation point for the illegal Koreans, Chinese, etc. coming into the country. These folks are not figured into the official count, so it is likely MUCH higher than is officially indicated. Interpreation: Broken down into groups, the percentage view changes. For instance, a higher percentage AND number of Koreans live in Los Angeles City than anywhere else on Earth, outside of S. Korea (and to a MUCH lesser extant, N. Korea). Likewise, the same with Garden grove and the Vietnamese
Baltifan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 03:39 AM   #72
Silicon Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltifan View Post
But yes, by the numbers, the La Metro Area has the highest number of Asians if not the highest percentage, although this is open to speculation and interpretation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon Francisco View Post
Here are list of major cities that come to mind on the west coast:
Code:

San Francisco Bay Area
San Francisco, California	30.80%
San Jose, California		26.86%
Oakland, California		15.23%

Greater Los Angeles
Long Beach, California		12.05%
Los Angeles, California		11.10%

I wouldn't be so sure about percentage, referring to the list I just posted.
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #73
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure about percentage, referring to the list I just posted.

Los Angeles has the largest population of Asians in number, while San Francisco has the largest per capita.
Old October 28th, 2006, 05:51 AM   #74
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Aside from predominantly Asian and Pacific Islander Honolulu, the San Francisco Bay Area is certainly the most Asian metropolitan area on the US West Coast. True, both the LA and NYC regions have somewhat larger total Asian populations. However, in these areas, Asians are far from the largest minority group, and so their imprint is less.

Of the Bay Area’s 7 million residents, roughly one out of five are Asian. (The percentages slightly vary depending on whether or not mixed Asians are included). That’s roughly equal to the Bay Area’s Latino population share and three times the region’s black population percentage. Chinese comprise the Bay Area’s largest Asian communities, followed by Filipinos, Vietnamese, and Asian Indians. There is also a significant and long-established Japanese community, and growing Korean, and other Southeast Asian communities.

As noted, in San Francisco itself, Asians represent a third of the city’s population, comprising the largest racial minority by far. San Jose is catching up, with 29% Asian, while Oakland is 15%. Add to that many suburbs with significant Asian concentrations. Milpitas and Dally City both have Asian majorities. In Union City, Cupertino and Hercules, Asians approach half the population. Fremont, Foster City, Sunnyvale, and South S.F. are also a third or more Asian. There are very few Bay Area suburbs (aside from Marin County) where Asians are less than 10% of the population.

What’s interesting is that in addition to the obvious demographic, economic, business, tech, and cultural imprint, Asian are becoming a significant political force around the Bay Area. San Jose was the first (and I think, still to-date, only) US major mainland city to elect an Asian American mayor in the early 1970s. That was Norm Mineta, a Japanese American, who’s also represented the Bay Area in Congress and served as US cabinet secretary. Over the past decade, Daly City and Milpitas have elected Filipino mayors, while Cupertino elected a Chinese American mayor. In San Francisco, where Asians now hold many elected and appointive positions, the police chief, Heather Fong, is a Chinese American woman. San Francisco’s first Asian police chief, also Chinese American, served in the 1990s. Mike Honda, a Japanese American represents much of the Silicon Valley in Congress.

In many US metros, Asian students, academics, doctors, techies, restaurant workers and owners, shopkeepers have become common sights. However in the Bay Area, it’s also common to encounter Asian postal workers, mechanics, bus drivers, politicians, and corporate executives. And Asians dominate a lot of the blue-collar and service workforces. If you encounter a union picket line, the chants are just as likely to be in Cantonese or Tagalog as English or Spanish.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #75
Brandon1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Probably Seattle, maybe San Fran, but IMO San Fran doesn't really have asian characteristics. If it were for North America, then I would most def. choose Vancouver.
These observations are merely observations, not statistical data, so take them as a grain of salt. However, I believe provincial and state census data reflect similar findings.

I've had the opportunity to live in both Seattle and Vancouver. While Vancouver seems to have a larger Asian population, this population is almost homogeneously Chinese. A lot of the Asians in Vancouver come from Guangdong, the Cantonese-speaking province of China, although they may use Mandarin as a universal language of communication. For example Chinatown Vancouver is certainly a Chinese neighbourhood. Chinatown Seattle (where I specifically used to live) has a greater mixture of Chinese and southeast Asian influences, and abuts a largely Vietnamese and now somewhat Filipino neighbourhood called "Little Saigon", hence residents have suabbled over whether to call Chinatown "Chinatown" or "International District". So, as far as "Asianness" is concerned, Vancouver is more Asian in that is has more Asians because it has more Chinese. (Did you get that?) However, Seattle does not serve as the entry point and domicile of one large single Asian ethnic group, so it is more Asian in that it has a varied, pan-Asian feel. The non-white or mestizo Hispanic population is growing quite rapidly in Seattle, so it is even possible to view Seattle as the juncture of the Latin American and East Asian worlds, like San Francisco. San Francisco, which I have had the opportunity to visit numerous times, may have a similar ethnic composition to that of Seattle.
Brandon1978 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:04 PM   #76
Brandon1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Probably Seattle, maybe San Fran, but IMO San Fran doesn't really have asian characteristics. If it were for North America, then I would most def. choose Vancouver.
These observations are merely observations, not statistical data, so take them as a grain of salt. However, I believe provincial and state census data reflect similar findings.

I've had the opportunity to live in both Seattle and Vancouver. While Vancouver seems to have a larger Asian population, this population is almost homogeneously Chinese. A lot of the Asians in Vancouver come from Guangdong, the Cantonese-speaking province of China, although they may use Mandarin as a universal language of communication. For example Chinatown Vancouver is certainly a Chinese neighbourhood. Chinatown Seattle (where I used to live) has a greater mixture of Chinese and southeast Asian influences and abuts a largely Vietnamese and now somewhat Filipino and even Ethiopian neighbourhood called "Little Saigon", hence residents have suabbled over whether to call Chinatown "Chinatown" or "International District". So, as far as "Asianness" is concerned, Vancouver is more Asian in that is has more Asians because it has more Chinese. (Did you get that?) However, Seattle does not serve so much as the entry point and domicile of one large single Asian ethnic group, so it is more Asian in that it has a varied, pan-Asian feel. The non-white or mestizo Hispanic population is growing quite rapidly in Seattle, so it is even possible to view Seattle as a juncture of the Latin American and East Asian worlds, like San Francisco. San Francisco, which I have had the opportunity to visit numerous times, has a similar ethnic composition to that of Seattle.
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #77
Brandon1978

Quote:
My personal rankings for "Asian-ness" and for fun, some ancestry (no 1 per cent'ers)

When I was in Seattle, I don't think I saw one Asian person, but I saw fish being thrown around. (Not the same thing.)
This is surprising. Seattle has one of the largest proportions of Asians per capita of any major American city. It's hard to miss them. But then, I lived in the largely Asian area in south downtown. Perhaps you spent more time at the Pike Place Farmer's Market than you did at Uwajimaya
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #78
Brandon1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongeg View Post

Armenia is technically in Asia, because it is south of the crest of the Caucasus Mountains, part of the boundary between Europe to the north and west, and Asia to the east and south.
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #79
Silicon Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon1978 View Post
This is surprising. Seattle has one of the largest proportions of Asians per capita of any major American city. It's hard to miss them. But then, I lived in the largely Asian area in south downtown. Perhaps you spent more time at the Pike Place Farmer's Market than you did at Uwajimaya
If that's the one where there's alot of fish than that must be why, but I lived in a city in the Silicon Valley that had had few people other than Asians of every type at the time, so it was tough adjustment (to reality?) I went to a large Asian supermarket while I was there also.
Old November 9th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #80
tmaxxfreak11

Quote:
How did you manage to see no asians??

As far as most Asian city on the WC Honolulu takes it all as I think it's population is like 50% asian.
tmaxxfreak11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement