AZ to go Blue? - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West

West Coast and Interior West CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID, BC
» Development News | Albuquerque | Las Vegas | Los Angeles | San Francisco Bay Area | Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 21st, 2006, 01:22 AM   #21
fezzador

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgwah
Anything can happen in twenty years, but Arizona hasn't been really showing any trends that would lead me to believe it will be going Democrat soon.

Nevada, very possible.

Oregon? Uh, last I checked, it has voted Democrat the past five presidential elections, hasn't elected a Republican governor since the 1980s, and 5/7 of their congressional delegation is Democratic.... In other words, Oregon is already a fairly blue state.

Idaho? Haha. No. Idaho is basically a one party state. Hell will freeze over before its a "blue" state.

The only traditionally conservative Western state that has any chance of going blue, in addition to Nevada and maybe Arizona, is Colorado. Denver, and especially Boulder, are liberal havens. Colorado Springs is hardcore conservative, but doesn't have the same economic and cultural pull that the first two cities have.

As for Idaho, it's one of the ten most conservative states for sure, thanks in part to the heavy LDS influence. Boise is a bit more liberal than the rest of the state though. Utah, however, has NO chance of going blue. Ever. Utah is a theocracy more than it is an individual state.
fezzador no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:32 AM   #22
AZian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador
Utah is a theocracy more than it is an individual state.
True DAT!!
AZian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #23
bungalowbuck

i hope for a political party which is socially progressive, a strong advocate for individual rights and fiscally responsible. will such a party emerge? the democrats are too fuzzy about their positions, but the republicans are anathema to me. any hope for the greens?
bungalowbuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2006, 12:19 AM   #24
triadcat

It seems to me that AZ is somewhat like NC politically. AZ has many Californians moving there, NC has many Northeasterners moving there.
If you look at Bush approval/dissapproval ratings for both states, they are similar.
I think they will still be "red" for a good 10-20 years though.

Virginia (a solid conservative "red" state 10+ years ago) and Florida are moving very close to the center. They are battleground states that could go "blue" in the near future.
Colorado is in the same boat.
triadcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 05:12 AM   #25
chicbicyclist

Speaking of going Blue, Iowa, New Mexico, New Hampshire and Maine could go red, but I'd take Florida, Colorado, and Virginia in return. More people live in those states.
chicbicyclist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 05:16 AM   #26
chicbicyclist

I forgot Ohio. It could turn blue. And Oregon, it could turn red.
chicbicyclist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #27
AZian

I sure wish ohio would turn blue, but there are too many white suburbanites that wouldnt know reality if it bit them in the arses. Kinda like most of the southeastern valley here, but the same.
Old May 27th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #28
Nutterbug

Likes (Received): 3

At Bush's current rate of popularity, will there be any red states in the next election?
Nutterbug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #29
AZian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug
At Bush's current rate of popularity, will there be any red states in the next election?
As true as that SHOULD be, I would have to doubt that will be the case. Bush's blind-followers in their usual places will show-up in droves this november.
Old May 28th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #30
Shawn

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicbicyclist
Speaking of going Blue, Iowa, New Mexico, New Hampshire and Maine could go red, but I'd take Florida, Colorado, and Virginia in return. More people live in those states.
Take it from a New Englander, NH and to a much lesser extent ME are Libertarian, not Republican. A Republican from NH is more often than not a fiscally conservative ex-M******* who moved 10 miles north of the MA-NH line to pay less taxes while still working at his well-paying job in Boston. You will not find many Bible-thumpin', gay hatin' Neo-cons anywhere in New England.

A New Hampshire Republican would be considered a Democrat in most other regions of the country.
Shawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 12:41 AM   #31
urbanaturalist

Likes (Received): 78

As far as development is concerned the true test of whether AZ will remain red is if a new Smart Growth referendum is approved or not. Remember the Sierra Club tried to get AZ to approve a referendum back in the 90s and Azians said no. Which is why its the Sprawl King.
urbanaturalist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #32
AZian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanaturalist
As far as development is concerned the true test of whether AZ will remain red is if a new Smart Growth referendum is approved or not. Remember the Sierra Club tried to get AZ to approve a referendum back in the 90s and Azians said no. Which is why its the Sprawl King.
Dont measure a state's political orientation by its policy toward "smart" growth. Many blue states have enormouse sprawl problems. Illinois, Minnesota, Massachusetts, and a ton more have suburban rings that creep farther and farther from their original boundaries. Not all democrats are tree-hugging, mansion-burning fanatics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement