Armageddon in Phoenix - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West

West Coast and Interior West CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID, BC
» Development News | Albuquerque | Las Vegas | Los Angeles | San Francisco Bay Area | Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2006, 12:13 AM   #1
AZian

Likes (Received): 0

Armageddon in Phoenix

Yesterday afternoon's dust storm was way ahead of its time, dust storms typically dont occur like this until late july through september when they happen on an almost daily schedule.

AZian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #2
jacobboyer

Likes (Received): 1

move to la
jacobboyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 03:07 AM   #3
Azn_chi_boi

Likes (Received): 12

Does dust storms/ sandstorms happen often? What is the best procedure to do during a sandstorm, beside the obvious of going into a shelter, car, building, or store. What happens if you are in the middle of nowhere and a dust storm happen?
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2006, 06:12 AM   #4
jacobboyer

i think about the only thing you can do with what i saw on the tv is to leave the city for awhile.
jacobboyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 06:16 AM   #5
Dasan
Entre Mundos

Likes (Received): 152

that's what I dont like about cities in the desert
Dasan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #6
enigma99a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZian
Yesterday afternoon's dust storm was way ahead of its time, dust storms typically dont occur like this until late july through september when they happen on an almost daily schedule.

I would suggest moving to LA as well. Also Phoenix doesn't have great weather. It's over 100 degrees most of the year. Great for me is winters in the 60s and 70s in the summer. And the majority is probably with me on that.
enigma99a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 07:51 AM   #7
wilycoyote24

Dust storms aren't bad at all. They don't affect things very often, just like a thunderstorm. Sometimes it may slow traffic due to reduced visibility, but during the 20 years I grew up there I was maybe affected by them a couple times. They were fun as were thunderstorms as a kid for me because you rarely see anything but clear skies.
wilycoyote24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 07:53 AM   #8
wilycoyote24

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a
I would suggest moving to LA as well. Also Phoenix doesn't have great weather. It's over 100 degrees most of the year. Great for me is winters in the 60s and 70s in the summer. And the majority is probably with me on that.
Its funny because our population growth supports the opposite conclusion about the weather. I think anything below 80 is cold, seriously. So I would hate Sacramento weather.
Old June 8th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #9
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 801

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a
I would suggest moving to LA as well.
Only problem with that is LA is many times more expensive so i doubt most people could afford to move there. Anyway whats so bad about a dust storm might get your car dirty though just get off the road wait it out and go back to normal life.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #10
Dasan
Entre Mundos

but besides cars, does the dirt stays on the streets, houses, trees and everything on its path??? how does everything look after a dust storm? does it look dirty?? or does it look like nothing happened ?? Im curious, as I have never been in a duststorm.
Old June 8th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #11
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 5408

i heard about this dust storm on tv yesterday or a couple days ago (can't remember) while i watched the phillies game. it seems that some dust got into the stadium, and so the lights were reflecting off of the dust and making it harder for outfielders to catch fly balls.
xzmattzx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 04:47 PM   #12
Don B.

^ It's generally no big deal. Your car will get dirty - you get it washed. There will be some dust on your patio furniture - you clean it. No big deal.

Certainly not as bad as digging out from a 12" snowstorm, with ice and other things to deal with.

--don
Don B. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:18 AM   #13
Dasan
Entre Mundos

the good thing about San Diego is that we don't have to deal with snow nor dust
Old June 10th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #14
enigma99a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. david
People in Phoenix would freeze in the 70 degree weather

Last edited by enigma99a; June 10th, 2006 at 11:42 AM.
Old June 10th, 2006, 11:42 AM   #15
enigma99a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilycoyote24
Its funny because our population growth supports the opposite conclusion about the weather. I think anything below 80 is cold, seriously. So I would hate Sacramento weather.
What do you do then when Phoenix averages under 80 in November->March?

I wasn't even refering to Sacramento weather but now that you mention it, it has been in the mid 80s for a couple of months with an ocean breeze blowing through. Pretty much perfect for me.. and there is no ice or snow in the winter either so don't try that argument We get about 18" of rain a year and about 5-6 months of straight sunny weather. No Dust. No Humidity.

Don't get me wrong though, Phoenix is a nice place to visit.. it's just I couldn't handle the extreme heat.
Old June 10th, 2006, 03:38 PM   #16
Fprmer WNYer

Likes (Received): 2

Phoenix is Like Heaven !

I Love it ! Love it ! , I'm in the Process of Building new house in Goodyear AZ
and it's Like Heaven compared to Buffalo NY were i'm moving from
Let me tell you about Horrible Weather! you get aleast 5 or 6 months of
Extremely Bone Chilling Cold & tons & tons of snow Everday! you get Lake Effort Snow, From Lake Erie, Lake Ontario, & Lake Huron . you have to get up
Like at 5am just to shovel & plow your driveway, spend another 1/2 half
scraping & Choping the thick layers ice off your windshield & then you get to Drive to work in Blizzards with zero visibilty , Wind blowing Snow Drifts across the road , Under the Snow the Roads are covered in Ice, then when you get out of work it's starts all over again and when you get home you gotta to plow & shovel the driveway again! Not to metion it's gets so cold that if
you leave any put of your skin exposed, you'll get frostbite in a seconds
you see People running back & forth into the Stores, cars, Work etc because it's So Bone Chilling Cold & Wind Chills are even colder ! Plus the Summers are very very Short & that's if you get a Summer> I LOve Phoenix & I Love
Sunshine, I Love the Heat, The Hoter the Better! Apparently so do a lot
of other people too, Because Hundereds of Thousands of People are moving here !Maricopa County AZ is like the Fastest Growing area in The Country !
Again I Love, LOve it
l
Fprmer WNYer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #17
Don B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. david
Yeah? Well, at least Phoenicians can afford to buy a place (home, condo, townhouse) to live. We don't have to shack up eight to an apartment just to pay the rent. And, it's actually sunny here. No June gloom for us.

Median housing price in Phoenix: $270,000
Median housing price in San Diego: $615,000

Best show up with a phat wallet if you want to live in SD.

--don
Old June 10th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #18
nic158

where does pheonix get its water from? are the water bills more expensive there than most places?
nic158 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #19
Don B.

^ Phoenix gets water from three sources:

1. A system of reservoirs and lakes in Arizona filled by runoff from the snow Arizona's mountains get in the winter along the Salt and Verde Rivers.

2. Groundwater.

3. The CAP canal, which brings water from the Colorado River.

Water here is a little more expensive than back east, but it isn't exorbitant. As the ad campaign goes, we have plenty of of water, just not enough to waste.

--don
Old June 10th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #20
wilycoyote24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B.
^ Phoenix gets water from three sources:

1. A system of reservoirs and lakes in Arizona filled by runoff from the snow Arizona's mountains get in the winter along the Salt and Verde Rivers.

2. Groundwater.

3. The CAP canal, which brings water from the Colorado River.

Water here is a little more expensive than back east, but it isn't exorbitant. As the ad campaign goes, we have plenty of of water, just not enough to waste.

--don
I was flipping through channels and saw some professor from ASU say something to the effect that we have enough water to sustain our current rate of growth for the next 30 years or so due to the fact that the area has such a diverse collection of water sources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement