Going to The Netherlands - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Holland Hoogbouw Forums > Overig > Urbanetics

Urbanetics Stedelijke discussies

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #1
ØlandDK
Used User

Likes (Received): 108

Going to The Netherlands

Hi...
I'm planning to go to The Netherlands in two weeks to visit a friend in Amsterdam. But before going to Amsterdam I (plus four friends) wanna spend a day in a smaller Dutch city on our way to Amsterdamn (from Denmark). We just wanna hang around for a day in a small beautiful city.
And I would like to hear if you had any recommendations. Would prefer a city north of Amsterdam.

my flickr
ØlandDK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #2
Quintana
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1752

If you're going to Amsterdam by car Groningen seems like the obvious choice.
Quintana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #3
ØlandDK
Used User

Zwolle, Leeuwarden and Emmen f.x. aren't that interesting?
Any link to a good photo thread of Groningen?

my flickr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #4
ØlandDK
Used User

btw we are going by car...

Hope this is the right place to post this kind of stuff...my Dutch is a bit rusty at the moment...

my flickr
Old October 6th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #5
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

I would recommend Utrecht.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #6
Jero

Likes (Received): 0

Yes, Utrecht. But perhaps also Amersfoort. You could go to the city center and also Kattenbroek, which is pretty famous of it's new dutch suburban architecture, if you're interested.
Jero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #7
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 27279

Denmark - Netherlands is a good ride, i drove if last saturday from Odense to Zwolle in 6 hours (max speed about 140km/h). I would recommend Groningen. Emmen is boring, and Zwolle is nice, but not very special.

Try to avoid the A7 in Hamburg when there is a long traffic jam southbound. 2 weeks ago, that traffic jam was 30km long, you'd probably better go around via the A1, but maybe you do that already. (Rødby - Puttgarden?)
Hamburg - Bremen is very busy, with often traffic jams.

If you travel in the weekend, and you decide not to go to Groningen or another city in the Dutch "far" north, you'd better go via Bremen - Cloppenburg - Meppen - Emmen - Zwolle, excellent route, and few trucks in the weekend. I did Bremen - Zwolle in 2 hours. Shorter and faster than the motorway route via Oldenburg and Leer.

travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #8
Pindakaas
POTTEN

Likes (Received): 0

Utrecht would be good. It's not too big, and enough to do. With a bit of luck (nice weather) you can drink a bockbeer at the oude gracht. And it's close to Amsterdam.

But Groningen is very nice too, lots of students, nice atmosphere. And it's on the route (as is Utrecht).
Pindakaas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #9
Quintana
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oelanddk View Post
Zwolle, Leeuwarden and Emmen f.x. aren't that interesting?
Zwolle isn't bad but I would personally prefer nearby Deventer. Leeuwarden is nice as well, Emmen is crap.

Quote:
Any link to a good photo thread of Groningen?
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=501942
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=445936
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=499881
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=460144
Quintana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #10
ØlandDK
Used User

I going by car from Tønder in the southern part of Denmark - so I have to go through Hamburg. I'll leave early morning on a Tuesday and hope that the traffic around HH will not be to bad around 11 (it probably is - as always).

Thanks for all the replies!

As it is now I think it will be Gronningen...looks interesting...are there any forumers from Gronningen that could recommend a nice and cheap place to stay for 5 drunken guys from Denmark? Hostel f.x.?

my flickr
Old October 6th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #11
Bibelo

Likes (Received): 140

I would go to this hostel. Was there a month ago. Fairly cheap and easygoing. Simplon: [http://www.simplonjongerenhotel.nl/
Bibelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 02:51 AM   #12
www.Rotterdam.nl

Likes (Received): 4

With no doubt Groningen (pop. 180.000) or Utrecht (pop. 300.000)!

I think I would go for a drink @ the 'Oude Gracht' or 'Neude' in Utrecht. If it's a rainy day you can shop in one of the bigger (in-door) shoppingcenters of the Netherlands called 'Hoog Catharijne' (near the Central station).
www.Rotterdam.nl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 03:24 AM   #13
eusebius

Likes (Received): 14

I don't think someone from Denmark will think of Utrecht as a small city ... Groningen would be Denmark's second or third city in size. Utrecht isn't much smaller than Denmark's capital. Great cities, yet therefore rather competing with Amsterdam.

Zutphen is very beautiful; other suggestions would be to visit Naarden and Muiden. Kampen is quiet and quite nice. Deventer, as Quintana mentioned. Kampen, Zwolle, Hattem, Deventer and Zutphen are all Hanseatic cities with little war damage. They form a string of cities along the river IJssel. In fact our country's earliest skyline!
eusebius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #14
Shukie
Anti-pipi

Likes (Received): 7

I like to think of Utrecht as a smaller version of Amsterdam, without the sex and drugs.
Shukie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #15
ØlandDK
Used User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibelo View Post
I would go to this hostel. Was there a month ago. Fairly cheap and easygoing. Simplon: [http://www.simplonjongerenhotel.nl/
Thanks for the hint, I'll have a look at it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eusebius View Post
I don't think someone from Denmark will think of Utrecht as a small city ... Groningen would be Denmark's second or third city in size. Utrecht isn't much smaller than Denmark's capital. Great cities, yet therefore rather competing with Amsterdam.
Think population wise that both Gronningen and Utrecht would be considered as the third largest city in Denmark (if they where Danish). Think they both are smaller than Århus but larger than Aalborg or Odense.
But think a city of that size is perfect for a day-trip

my flickr
Old October 6th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #16
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 8776

Definitely Groningen and make sure you drive from Groningen to Amsterdam via the Afsluitdijk (that's the A7 via Sneek)
Slagathor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #17
Cymen
Just another user

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shukie View Post
I like to think of Utrecht as a smaller version of Amsterdam, without the sex and drugs.
I think you have never been to Utrecht..... Utrecht also has a red light zone, a lot of junks etc etc.

Anyway, Groningen is more on route then Utrecht. Both are beautifull cities, but IMO Utrecht is more unique because of it canals:

If you go to Amsterdam you need to find a place to park your car. Parking in the centre is very expensive and space very limited, so don't even try. You can park your car for free in the North side of Amsterdam and walk to the ferry at the back of Central Station (veer Buiksloterweg):
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=5...4676&z=15&om=1
Parking in the North side of the town is also the side of arrival if you pass the "aflsuitdijk" highway A8, which is the route from Groningen.
Walking from area "van der Pekstraat" to ferry is 5-15 minutes, so not far. The ferry takes you for free to the Central Station were you can buy public transport tickets or rent a bike.

Have fun!

I'm not a slave to a god that doesn't give a shit!

Last edited by Cymen; October 6th, 2007 at 04:57 PM.
Cymen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #18
:)dorp

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oelanddk View Post
As it is now I think it will be Gronningen...looks interesting...are there any forumers from Gronningen that could recommend a nice and cheap place to stay for 5 drunken guys from Denmark? Hostel f.x.?
I would recommend Groningen because of your wish to get drunk... Groningen has lots of (cheap) pubs because of it's large population of students. Anyway, have a lot of fun in ??? as well as in Amsterdam.
Old October 6th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #19
refluS
NL

Likes (Received): 149

Groningen
refluS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #20
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 20651

For the convenience of Dutch posters:

Come to [insert: name of your town]!!! It really is a great place with fantastic shops, fancy bars and restaurants and even the girls look better here then anywhere else. Make sure to check out our [insert: local tallest building] and [insert: local square with pubs] for these are really something else. Do not go to [insert: nearest equal size city] for it sucks. It is not as good as [insert: name of your town]. You will not regret!!! More info: www .[insert: name of your town]isthebestplaceintheworld.nl
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement