Trapped in San Diego - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West

West Coast and Interior West CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID, BC
» Development News | Albuquerque | Las Vegas | Los Angeles | San Francisco Bay Area | Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #1
Aaron W

Likes (Received): 88

Trapped in San Diego

I started a new job this week. The position is actually located in Ohio, however the company has flown me out to San Diego for training. I flew in late last night and took a cab up to Mira Mesa where my hotel & the company is located (specifically near Scranton Rd & Morehouse Dr). They didn't rent me a car becaue of the fact the hotel & office are located one block from each other. Anyway, I've been online looking for transit info to get from here to downtown and back. While it's doable when I get off work (3:30pm), it doesn't appear doable coming back. Bus service to & from this area ends at 7pm. Grrrr.... Having just spent the last 2.5 years in the incredibly transit-friendly city of Chicago, I'm having trouble comprending the fact I can't find any transit to transport me where I want to go. No way do I want to spend money on a cab from downtown to my hotel in the evening... it cost my company over $50 to get me here from the airport. And even if renting a car could be done cheaply for about 4-5 hours, I'm doubting any auto rental center is within reasonable walking distance to where I'm at (buses won't work since they'll all be finished serving this area at 7pm). Ughhh.... can't believe I'm in San Diego for the first time and I'm not going to be able to see the city unless I'm willing to spend big bucks for a cab back to my hotel. Does anyone know what's the furthest north I can travel via bus from downtown San Diego after 8pm? If I could catch a cab at a more northerly location back to my hotel, I'd be able to cut the cab costs (but I don't want to be stranded in an area where no cabs exist without calling for one).

Last edited by Aaron W; August 12th, 2009 at 03:14 AM.
Aaron W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #2
caliblakqt
Left-Coast Stunner

Likes (Received): 8

That sucks man! Yeah, you are definately in a car dependent area on the outskirts of the city. The closest northerly location to you that has decent transit is UTC (University Towne Center) area, which is not far from you at all and has buses running all night. Now as far as finding cabs cruising over there, not sure about that. But if you did call for one, your fare would be low because UTC is only about 5 mins away from your hotel (by car of course).
caliblakqt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #3
Aaron W

Likes (Received): 88

I didn't want to do it, but I ended up renting a car for 24 hours. There is a Budget car rental about a 10 minute walk from my hotel. I spent $59 for the rental ($47 + liability insurance since I don't have my own drivers insurance yet). I ended up heading over to La Jolla Village and then down La Jolla Blvd to Mission Blvd to Grand Ave and then over to I-5 down to Washington St. From there I headed east to Hillcrest for a little exploring and dinner, followed up by a drive through Balboa Park to downtown. Unfortunately the restaurant in Hillcrest screwed up and forgot my order, so I was there until after sunset. So by the time I went through Balboa Park and downtown, it was too dark to see much. Regardless of the bad meal experience, I'm glad I was able to get away from the hotel and see a little bit of the area. I LOVED La Jolla. I just love love love Beach communities. Hillcrest was ok, but not even remotely as great as Lakeview/Boystown or even West Hollywood.
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2009, 04:19 AM   #4
chishoplink923

Likes (Received): 0

louboutin shoes

Christian Louboutinat ChristianLouboutin-mall.com,christian louboutin shoes on sale save 76% off,no tex,free-shipping,louboutin shoes on sale now.
chishoplink923 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 05:02 AM   #5
ugg2uk
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

You have wonderful idea!``

ugg australia wholesaleugg australia wholesaleugg baby blueugg baby blueugg baby blue
ugg2uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement