ANAHEIM - Angel Stadium (45,957) - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #61
ielag

Likes (Received): 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTexas View Post
What ever happens, the Angels need to bring back the GIANT A video board with the lit up halo. That was and still is SWEET. Did they just have better ideas back then?
I agree it'd be awesome to be part of the actual stadium again.

When they made it a multi-purpose stadium when the Rams moved to Anaheim, they moved the sign to the parking lot up against the 57 Freeway. I know many were hoping it'd move back into the stadium during the 1997 renovation, but it never happened.

will101, WesTexas liked this post
ielag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2014, 02:49 AM   #62
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 22902

Good location/plot for a future NFL stadium?
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 04:04 AM   #63
ielag

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB2007 View Post
If the Angels actually did move, then yes. Right next to the 57 freeway, the 5 freeway is just barely out of sight on the left side of this pic, and it's also a couple miles north of the 22 freeway. And it's a big piece of property.

There's a station at the north parking lot that also serves two Metrolink trains, but that is being moved to the other side of the freeway at the new ARTIC transit center. Anaheim also wants to build a street car from there to the Disneyland resort and Convention Center as well.

will101 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2014, 06:08 AM   #64
nikefutbolero

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB2007 View Post
If it goes up for sale, no way Disney doesn't buy the land.
nikefutbolero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 07:26 AM   #65
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 4160

Tustin wants the Angels, but who pays for the park?

Quote:
As the city of Tustin affirmed its interest in pursuing the Angels, the city manager said Tuesday that the city would not contribute to a stadium deal without a mechanism to recoup its investment.

Four days after the Angels walked away from stadium negotiations with the city of Anaheim, the Tustin City Council met behind closed doors for 2 1/2 hours Tuesday night to discuss how to proceed. City Manager Jeffrey Parker did not hesitate to identify the biggest question for the city.

“For us, it’s how the financing would be put together to make this happen,” Parker said.

The Angels’ proposed deal in Anaheim collapsed over whether the city should let the team lease the stadium parking lot for $1 per year and retain revenue from development, with the first $150 million of profits used to recoup the Angels’ estimated cost to renovate Angel Stadium.

In Anaheim, an appraiser valued the land in question at $225 million. Parker said the Tustin land could be worth a similar amount and said the city would expect to make back that amount on any land provided to the Angels, most likely from lease payments or a share of development profits.

“We want to protect that $200 million,” Parker said. “We want a rate of return on that land value.”
MORE: http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...930-story.html
slipperydog está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 09:46 AM   #66
will101

Likes (Received): 2541

Quote:
Originally Posted by ielag View Post
Angels don't even sell out all their suites, they advertise throughout the year about renting suites out on an individual game basis. If they could get 2 or 3 year commitments on every suite in the stadium, they wouldn't be offering them on an individual game basis.
Really?! That's surprising. I assumed that the Angels would have a healthy waiting list. They're essentially the strongest team in baseball right now.

AT&T Park started with 72 suites, but that number has crept up to (IIRC) 77 through the years. They have people wracking their brains trying to figure out how to squeeze more in. At least the management had the wisdom to say no to sub-field level suites under the bleachers in left field. That would have been worse than the field level suites in the NFL.
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 09:47 AM   #67
will101

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikefutbolero View Post
If it goes up for sale, no way Disney doesn't buy the land.
I'm sure they will bid on the land, but being able to buy it is not guaranteed.
Old October 1st, 2014, 01:36 PM   #68
nikefutbolero

Quote:
Originally Posted by will101 View Post
I'm sure they will bid on the land, but being able to buy it is not guaranteed.
What would stop them from buying the land? Money? Surely nobody has deeper pockets than Disney.

The City? I'm sure nothing would bring in more $$ than another Disney theme park.
Old October 1st, 2014, 03:12 PM   #69
WesTexas

Likes (Received): 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by shhyvoodoo View Post
AND revert back to the CALIFORNIA Angels..
Yes. Why was all that changed anyway? LA Angels of Anaheim is terrible, Anaheim angels was no good ether.
WesTexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 09:20 PM   #70
will101

Quote:
Yes. Why was all that changed anyway? LA Angels of Anaheim is terrible, Anaheim angels was no good ether.
Classic inferiority complex. Supposedly no one has ever heard of 'Anaheim' (even though Disneyland is there, and everybody has heard of that) so the team needed to be called 'Los Angeles', which would be the only way that they would make money in brand name sales. Makes perfect sense to me.

I remember when the news first broke, and it was kind of a slow day in sports, so the gang at ESPN had a lot of fun. Every team became the Los Angeles <nickname> of <city>. So you had the Los Angeles Tigers of Detroit completing a trade with the Los Angeles Yankees of New York, and they gave a score with the Los Angeles Canadiens of Montreal. Then we had some free agent signing by the Los Angeles Dodgers of Los Angeles, and finally they scraped up some minor tidbit so they could talk about the Los Angeles Yomiuri Giants of Tokyo.

WesTexas liked this post
Old October 1st, 2014, 10:54 PM   #71
ielag

Quote:
What would stop them from buying the land? Money? Surely nobody has deeper pockets than Disney.

The City? I'm sure nothing would bring in more $$ than another Disney theme park.
Disney owns a pretty big piece of property near the convention center across Katella from the two parks that they currently use as an employee parking lot. That's long been thought of as the site of a 3rd theme park if they ever build one ever since they purchased the land a few years back.

will101 liked this post

Last edited by ielag; October 1st, 2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:11 AM   #72
nikefutbolero

I was fully aware of that, I just don't see how if THAT much land goes up for sale, that Disney doesn't buy it. If gives them options for the future. Especially with the parking problems they have for cast members I can see them buying the land where the stadium sits now to build a third park and that prevents the parking problem that would come with expansion.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 04:47 PM   #73
WesTexas

I have been to D Land a few times and I always thought it was bigger.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 07:22 PM   #74
ielag

Quote:
I was fully aware of that, I just don't see how if THAT much land goes up for sale, that Disney doesn't buy it. If gives them options for the future. Especially with the parking problems they have for cast members I can see them buying the land where the stadium sits now to build a third park and that prevents the parking problem that would come with expansion.
They could easily build a parking structure there near the flat lots of Downtown Disney for employees, and nobody does parking structures better than Disney.

There would plenty of insanely wealthy companies and equity firms interested in that land if it ever went up for sale.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:29 PM   #75
will101

Quote:
I have been to D Land a few times and I always thought it was bigger.
If you've been walking and dodging little kids all day, it can seem too big. The train and monorail can look better and better with every step.
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:38 PM   #76
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 4160

Angel Stadium under construction, 1965

Old October 6th, 2014, 06:10 PM   #77
WesTexas

wow. Old photos like that freak me out a little bit. To think how quickly we have expanded as a society and eliminated open space and filled it with structures.
Old October 9th, 2014, 05:49 AM   #78
Jericho-79

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Tustin wants the Angels, but who pays for the park?
I don't know where most Angels fans are based. But would they be willing to drive to Tustin for home games?
Jericho-79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 06:25 AM   #79
will101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
I don't know where most Angels fans are based. But would they be willing to drive to Tustin for home games?
I don't think that would be a problem. Where they are likely to put the stadium is roughly six miles from the current one.

If you look on Google maps, Anaheim Stadium is at N 33 48.0 W 117 53.0, and where I think they'll put the proposed one is at about N 33 42.3 W 117 48.7. Just do a copy-and-paste of those coords into the subject bar above the map. You'll see the proposed location is not that far away.
Old October 9th, 2014, 12:43 PM   #80
kubica fan ireland

Likes (Received): 1

Are the Angels a marquee franchise in terms of size and potential. I seem to get the feeling that LA in the name is just for recognition. Can they become a top5 team in terms of value, thet are currently no.10. Also will a smaller ballpark have an impact on their attendances. I think they are no.1 or no.2 in attendance the past couple of years. Finally I assume the ballpark will go to no.3 behind Mets and Yankees in terms of cost.
kubica fan ireland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement