KILBOURNTOWN [WESTOWN] | Development News - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Milwaukee

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 14th, 2015, 05:30 PM   #41
splat8

Likes (Received): 6959

Just a recap of the Posner Building conversion in today's Journal-Sentinel:

Quote:
Posner Building is transformed into MKE Lofts Downtown with $23.5 million development

For more than a decade, downtown Milwaukee's Posner Building was an odd mix, with a very active street level, while remaining largely vacant on its eight upper floors.

Mo's Irish Pub supplied the energy on portions of the first and second floors at the building, at West Wisconsin and North Plankinton avenues.

Now, with a $23.5 million development being completed, there will be more businesses on the street level, as well as 105 new high-end apartments on the upper floors.

The building, renamed MKE Lofts Downtown, has opened some of its apartments, with the remaining units to be available by Sept. 28, said developer Tyler Hawley. Around 40 apartments have already been leased, he said.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/pos...327413251.html

RN_NM, needhair, Iburytheliving liked this post
splat8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2015, 10:28 PM   #42
splat8

I think this purchase might have been posted / talked about before but just in case it hadn't I thought I would post it. It does not sound like the purchaser has any immediate plans for the property other than keeping it a parking lot, but that could change:

Quote:
San Diego company to pay $4.1M for parking lot near downtown arena site

San Diego investor MVP REIT Inc. announced a deal to buy a downtown parking lot near the proposed Milwaukee Bucks arena site.

The company has been investing in parking lots west of the Milwaukee River downtown. The acquisition of the 75-stall lot at North Old World Third Street and West Juneau Avenue would be its third downtown.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee...r-parking.html
Old September 17th, 2015, 09:06 PM   #43
splat8

This really isn't development in the area or even a permanent piece of artwork, but I thought I would post it here because the actual theme of the banner is what would it take to develop the lot at 4th and Wisconsin into a valuable and active piece of the city. Not sure how many of you have had a chance to see this yet:

Quote:
New public art unveiled at 4th and Wisconsin

The piece -- created by local artist Reginald Baylor -- hangs on the side of a parking structure near 4th and Wisconsin Ave., directly across the street from the Wisconsin Center.

The fabric banner depicts a "creative formula" for the area, complete with whimsical and thought-provoking illustrations. The artwork is titled, "The Answer to the Area…A.) Persons B.) Places C.)Things D.) All of the Above E.) None of the Above" and stands 60 feet tall by about 160 feet wide.

The mural was commissioned by Zilber Property Group, the brand name under which Zilber Ltd. works.

http://www.radiomilwaukee.org/arts-c...ef=onmilwaukee

MKERevival liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2015, 09:14 PM   #44
MKERevival
Just a Source of Opinion

Likes (Received): 5698

I'm really enjoying the creative uses that are being implemented on and/or around that surface lot.

Wisconsin Breweries Map: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1075...jWnONeAyafvqLw
MKERevival no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 09:30 PM   #45
RN_NM

Likes (Received): 2697

Would prefer something other than cloth for outdoor art, it'll fade too fast and either be replaced or changed.

vcat59 liked this post
RN_NM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 10:02 PM   #46
splat8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN_NM View Post
Would prefer something other than cloth for outdoor art, it'll fade too fast and either be replaced or changed.
In the article I believe it states that the intention is only for this banner to be displayed for around 18 months. Since the duration is so short I don't think it was cost justifiable to use any other material. The article does not say this, but I would assume another new piece of artwork will replace this one after the 18 months is over.
Old September 18th, 2015, 12:54 AM   #47
VVisconsin08

Likes (Received): 8971

This definitely belongs here:

This video has me really excited about what Kilbourntown can become! I would absolutely love to see Wisconsin Ave become a major pedestrian mall from 6th down to VanBuren essentially connecting both Juneautown and Kilbourntown. The logistics could be a mess but I think if done correctly we can reconnect this city's people with it's most famous street! It's already got a healthy dose of hotels, restaurants, theaters, office space, new residential units and retail spaces that are just begging to bring in new tenants.

hailmike, El Mariachi liked this post
VVisconsin08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 02:45 AM   #48
Harpua24

Likes (Received): 560

I was at the night market again last night and it was packed. It was definitely cool to see.

El Mariachi liked this post
Harpua24 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 03:12 AM   #49
splat8

This is obviously an opinion piece, but I thought I would post it since I thought some of the people on this forum might be interested in reading it. Sorry that I cited so much, but the article is actually much longer and I wanted to make sure I cited enough to give everyone an idea of the tone of the article:

Quote:
Preserving Fourth Street

There is a major public-asset giveaway at stake in the city’s arena-subsidy package that Milwaukee residents have just a few days to try to prevent. Common Council members must hear from citizens before they vote on Tuesday, Sept. 22. In addition to receiving 30 acres of public land for free from the county and state, the Milwaukee Bucks owners also are demanding one block of Fourth Street to use for a Bucks-controlled commercial plaza.

An arena-deal amendment introduced by Ald. Bob Bauman would protect the public’s long-term interest by keeping Fourth Street open and available for current and future uses as needed. Bauman’s provision would retain city ownership of North Fourth Street (between Highland and Juneau avenues) instead of ceding control of it to the Bucks. He said the city instead could work with the Bucks to create a temporary pedestrian plaza by closing the street during games and other events, as is done in Indianapolis and Boston. The city could also allow other changes to the street layout without vacating the street.

http://milwaukeenns.org/2015/09/19/p...ef=onmilwaukee
Old September 20th, 2015, 03:33 AM   #50
VVisconsin08

Likes (Received): 8971

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat8 View Post
This is obviously an opinion piece, but I thought I would post it since I thought some of the people on this forum might be interested in reading it. Sorry that I cited so much, but the article is actually much longer and I wanted to make sure I cited enough to give everyone an idea of the tone of the article:
While I understand her argument and the argument to preserve 4th Street, I really don't think it's as big a deal as they are letting it on to be. If you look at the map of the city, I feel like Old World 3rd/MLK Dr are more important to connecting Kilbourntown and Bronzeville. If anything I think cutting out 4th Street for that one block, could be a good thing and help slow traffic in the area around the arena. Just because it's blocked for cars doesn't mean it has to be blocked for bikes/pedestrians or possibly (if done right) even the streetcar. As it stands now, I feel like 4th Street as is is too wide and should be slimmed down a little bit anyway.

I feel like the people that are most against closing 4th Street are the same people that are against giving the owners any more of a handout than what they are already getting. The owners are doing what they can to help connect the new live block to Old World Third. If they wanted to they could have completely closed their development off to the entertainment district and let it fend for itself. I think overall the existing OW3 district and the arenas ancillary development can and will coexist just fine. I also foresee the Haymarket Square really to pop once they get that grocery store in there. While Walkers Point is sort of the Third Ward 2.0, I feel like Haymarket Square/Bronzeville will be primed to become Park East 2.0 once the current land all fills out.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 05:25 PM   #51
splat8

Nothing too new here, just an update on the timeline for the brewery construction / conversion:

Quote:
Work on Pabst microbrewery could begin this fall

Work could start yet this fall on the restaurant and microbrewery planned for Milwaukee's former Pabst Brewery complex.
Blue Ribbon Management LLC plans to start the building renovations within two to three months, said Vice President Michael Kelly.
Kelly spoke Monday after the city Plan Commission approved the project, one week after the Historic Preservation Commission endorsed it.

Pabst plans to have the brewery operating by next summer. The company plans to use the brewery to experiment with Pabst recipes for discontinued brands such as Old Tankard Ale, Kloster Beer and other beers made before Prohibition.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/business/328556261.html

EDIT: Here is some additional follow-up found on OnMilwaukee.com along with a rendering of what the brewery will look like after the conversion:

Quote:
City Plan Commission approves Pabst's new microbrewery project

http://onmilwaukee.com/myOMC/authors...bstgetsok.html

VVisconsin08, Harpua24, RN_NM, El Mariachi liked this post

Last edited by splat8; September 22nd, 2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 12:39 AM   #52
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 5803

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat8 View Post
Nothing too new here, just an update on the timeline for the brewery construction / conversion:

EDIT: Here is some additional follow-up found on OnMilwaukee.com along with a rendering of what the brewery will look like after the conversion:
Perfect! The Holy Church of Beer!

VVisconsin08, RN_NM, El Mariachi liked this post
mbradleyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2015, 03:02 PM   #53
MKERevival
Just a Source of Opinion

Likes (Received): 5698

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
Perfect! The Holy Church of Beer!

Finally!! A religion I can get behind!

Wisconsin Breweries Map: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1075...jWnONeAyafvqLw

mbradleyc, hailmike, Jschmuck, El Mariachi liked this post
MKERevival no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 09:11 PM   #54
splat8

I know badgers1 has already posted this article on the main thread, but I thought I would get it posted here too in the dedicated thread as well:

Quote:
Another hotel planned downtown

A Chicago developer is planning to build a 110-150 room hotel on the block northwest of Plankinton Avenue and Clybourn Street in downtown Milwaukee.

Clark Street Real Estate acquired a three-acre site adjacent to The Shops at Grand Avenue in 2008. The site has been operated as a parking lot by ABM Parking Services. According to Clark Street Real Estate’s website, the company has been planning a dense mixed-use development with uses such as retail, office and hospitality.

http://www.biztimes.com/article/2015...RS02/151009982
I just wanted to say that I did see some people commenting on how the this company has been planning a dense mixed use development and how this might possibly make the structure taller than a 110 - 150 room hotel might typically be.

However I wanted to just mention an alternative. If Clark Street Real Estate purchased the entire 3 acre site then perhaps what they are planning on doing is over phases building multiple buildings in some sort of mixed use configuration in order to fill out the entire site.

Not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but this is a distinct possibility and I think we need to acknowledge the fact that the hotel in the article might be a stand alone 5-6 floor building. This in itself is not a horrible thing, if it is designed and built right so that it is urban looking in nature height is not quite as relevant in my opinion...

Edit: For anyone who is interested here is the summary of the project from Clark Street Real Estate's website along with a link to their webpage:

Quote:
Downtown Milwaukee Park

In January 2008, CSRE acquired 3 acres of land in Downtown Milwaukee at the intersection of 2nd St. and Michigan St. Its location is strategically situated as a gateway to Downtown Milwaukee, adjacent to The Shops at Grand Avenue and the new on and off ramps for the Marquette Interchange (Interstate 794). This future development site is currently being operated as a parking lot by ABM Parking Services. CSRE’s vision for the property is a dense mixed-use development with uses such as retail, office and hospitality.

http://www.clarkstreet.com/portfolio...milwaukee-park
Also if you dig through the rest of their portfolio they do have quite a bit of experience with mixed-use developments and some of them in the Chicago area would look just fine on the lot in question here in Milwaukee. As examples of their mixed-use project experience here is one in Oak Park:

And here is one that they are actually planning in Madison:

RN_NM, SledHead liked this post

Last edited by splat8; October 1st, 2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old October 5th, 2015, 04:13 PM   #55
toekneeMKE

Likes (Received): 728

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but the big brick building across from the intermodal station is supposed to be into self storage units after the current tenant moves out in 2016.

http://www.insideselfstorage.com/new...-facility.aspx
toekneeMKE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2015, 04:50 PM   #56
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 5803

Quote:
Originally Posted by toekneeMKE View Post
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but the big brick building across from the intermodal station is supposed to be into self storage units after the current tenant moves out in 2016.

http://www.insideselfstorage.com/new...-facility.aspx
Well that's disappointing! Surely there is a better use for it in that location.

needhair, Iburytheliving liked this post
mbradleyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2015, 08:01 PM   #57
toekneeMKE

Likes (Received): 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
Well that's disappointing! Surely there is a better use for it in that location.
Couldn't agree more. Hopefully they include some street level retail to the building. If not, then at least make it look interesting, and not just a big widow less building.
toekneeMKE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 07:47 PM   #58
MKE-NYC

Likes (Received): 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by toekneeMKE View Post
Couldn't agree more. Hopefully they include some street level retail to the building. If not, then at least make it look interesting, and not just a big widow less building.
With the redevelopment of the Post Office Building discussed on the main thread I can't imagine that this building would stay storage units for long.
MKE-NYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2015, 09:56 PM   #59
splat8

I thought people might be interested in this, there is nothing official in this article as far as a way to pay for a convention center expansion. It does however talk about how Barrett and Abele each would like to see it funded, I bolded that at the end of what I have cited below:

Quote:
Barrett, Abele support expanding Wisconsin Center convention hall

Expanding downtown Milwaukee's Wisconsin Center convention facility is still on the table for the near future in city and county discussions.

Even with the Milwaukee Bucks arena deal taking center stage, Milwaukee County Executive Chris Abele and Mayor Tom Barrett both agree that an expansion of the convention center is critical for the hospitality and tourism industry's future, and the two are still in talks with the community about how to pay for it.

Barrett said he would like to see funds come from the ticket tax at the new arena. Abele said he senses support from the local restaurant industry for increasing the existing food and beverage tax.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee...in-center.html

RN_NM liked this post
Old October 19th, 2015, 07:25 PM   #60
splat8

I wanted to get this article posted because in a way it contradicts the article that the BizTimes ran a few weeks ago. The reason I say this is the article that the Biztimes published cites the fact that Clark Street Development owns the property mentioned in the article below and that their website mentions a mixed-use development at the site including a hotel as partial proof of another hotel being planned.

Now this article is published in the Business Journal today stating that Clark Street Development sold the property in question to essentially a parking lot management company that plans to hold the property for future development, but has no immediate plans for it.

If you believe the Business Journal is a more reliable source in this matter then it sounds like we should probably put the idea of this parcel of land being developed anytime soon on the back burner:

Quote:
Parking lot once mentioned for Milwaukee arena site sold for future development

A 3-acre parking lot south of the Shops of Grand Avenue mall that was speculated as a possible site for the new Milwaukee Bucks arena has been sold for $4.85 million to a buyer interested in future development on the parcel.

The buyer is Columbia Parking LP of San Diego. The seller is an affiliate of Clark Street Development in Chicago, which in January 2008 bought the property for $6 million from Wispark Corp. Wispark is the real estate arm of WEC Energy Group Inc. in Milwaukee.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee...kee-arena.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bucks, downtown, kilbourntown, marquette, matc, milwaukee, pabst, westown