First, Sun-belt cities takes people from the Great Lakes, now they want water there. - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > United States Urban Issues

United States Urban Issues Discussions and pictures of highrises, urbanity, architecture and the built environment of US cities

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the Sun-Belt cities get the Great Lakes water?
I am from the Great Lakes Region and I say Yes, they should. 0 0%
I am from the Great Lakes Region and I say NO. 18 56.25%
I am from the South and western states and I want the lovely refreshing Great Lake water. 6 18.75%
I am from the South and western states and I say we will get water else where else. 3 9.38%
I am from neither, I would give let the southern and western states drink the Great Lake water. 1 3.13%
I am from neither, if the people from the s and w states want the GL Water, move to the GL region. 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 27th, 2005, 10:53 PM   #1
Azn_chi_boi

Likes (Received): 12

First, Sun-belt cities takes people from the Great Lakes, now they want water there.

Published: Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Drilling could be banned in and under Great Lakes

WASHINGTON (AP) — Oil and gas drilling would be banned in the Great Lakes under a measure adopted by House and Senate negotiators Tuesday.

Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Menominee, had sought the prohibition amid concerns that the Great Lakes, a large source of drinking water and integral part of the state's tourism industry, could be threatened by an oil spill.

A temporary ban on drilling was set by Congress in 2001 and has been extended twice. The moratorium is set to expire in 2007.

"We have had several victories with temporary bans on drilling, but this provision is a permanent ban which will protect our country's most valuable fresh water resource for generations to come," Stupak said.

Stupak's amendment to the bill would prevent new permits or leases for oil and gas drilling in or under the Great Lakes. The measure was supported by Rep. John Dingell, D-Dearborn, and Rep. Fred Upton, R-St. Joseph.

Fresh water

The Great Lakes supply drinking water to more than 30 million people and make up about 20 percent of the world's fresh surface water.

Stupak and other members of Congress who represent districts around the lakes have said the permanent ban would prevent a state legislature or governor from allowing drilling.

Michigan, New York, Wisconsin, Illinois and Ohio have drilling bans in their states, but the bans are not found in Indiana, Pennsylvania and Minnesota.

Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Brighton, has opposed Stupak's approach, arguing that the powers should be left to the states in the region. Rogers, who also opposes drilling in the lakes, has said the federal ban could empower western states to gain access to drinking water from the Great Lakes.

http://www.vindy.com/content/nationa...4165903015.php

I say, if you want the lovely, refreshing Great Lakes water, move back here. If you choose to live in Sun-Belt Cities, get your own water supplies.

(GL means Great Lakes and S and W means southern and western)
Lets debeat... go...

Last edited by Azn_chi_boi; July 27th, 2005 at 11:01 PM.
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2005, 11:38 PM   #2
AZian

Likes (Received): 0

I heard about that ridiculous plan a while back, and I say NO!!! I am right there with you that if ppl want plentiful water, they better move where the water is!!! If you move to the sunbelt, you need to accept that it is a dry area, DESERT!!! And that is part of the risk of living here. And think of how much land it would take to build pips/canals to bring that water here! It would be huge costs, and tons of pumps would be needed, too much imo.
AZian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 11:46 PM   #3
djm19

Likes (Received): 9

Well, we are all americans, and the lakes belong to america.
djm19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2005, 11:50 PM   #4
AZian

Don't forget about Canada
AZian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 11:58 PM   #5
hudkina

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm19
Well, we are all americans, and the lakes belong to america.
Ok, then I propose the Great Lakes states take the downtowns of the Southern cities and make them our landfills.
hudkina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 12:22 AM   #6
SChristopher

Likes (Received): 4

I really dont think alot of the south (outside Florida) needs water (correct me if I am wrong) and it is certainly not desert.
SChristopher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 12:23 AM   #7
great prairie

Likes (Received): 1

you guys are stupid
great prairie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #8
jmanhsv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SChristopher
I really dont think alot of the south (outside Florida) needs water (correct me if I am wrong) and it is certainly not desert.
Atlanta needs water. Alabama, Georgia, and Florida have had a long legal battle over who has rights over the Chattahoochee River, and AL and FL believe that they are not getting their fair share. Atlanta also tried to get water from the TN river, but after protests, the idea was dropped.
Outside of Atlanta, there is no immediate need for more water in the SE. Now areas like Arizona are another story. But the Great Lakes are not the answer to someone else's problem 2000 miles away.
jmanhsv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 01:05 AM   #9
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 895

Piping water from the Great Lakes to the desert soutwest will not happen, at least without a fight. Plus it would be pretty expensive.
Anyway, people down there have nothing to worry about, they have the mighty Colorado River!

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 01:26 AM   #10
great prairie

The article says western nothing about atlanta or florida.

The article doesn't say when, how much, who gets the water(the "west" is a big area), or who they are paying. SO stop freaking out no one is stealing your "water".

also, your "cities" don't own 20% of the fresh water on the planet

So I restate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Praire
you guys are stupid
edit:sorry don't mean everyone in the thread only the first two posters
Old July 28th, 2005, 01:33 AM   #11
SChristopher

I brought up the Southeast because it was mentioned under the "sunbelt" generalization and in that poll.
Old July 28th, 2005, 01:39 AM   #12
SDfan

Likes (Received): 44

Sunbelt is the Southeast and Southwest. So bringing the southeast up would make sense to me. Plus I wouldn't want filthy Great Lakes water. I'd rather converte it from salt water, which were planning and building. Its not like there going to build a huge pipeline going from Michigan to Texas and beyond...
Old July 28th, 2005, 01:56 AM   #13
great prairie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfan
Sunbelt is the Southeast and Southwest.
He screwed up the title too

Quote:
Originally Posted by article said
federal ban could empower western states to gain access to drinking water from the Great Lakes.
Old July 28th, 2005, 02:15 AM   #14
Nic

Likes (Received): 36

Personally, I think desalination is the way to go, but like it was said before, the midwest doesn't "own" the Great Lakes. I think if it became necessary and feasible, than the Great Lakes water should be shared. FYI, Austin has it's own Colorado River made into the Highland Lakes, as well as the Edward's Aquifer, so we're not hurting for water.
Nic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 02:30 AM   #15
great prairie

The Great lakes are protected by the US and Canadian government they are in no danger of being drained by anyone. Also such a large a project would add to the jobs and the economy of the Great lakes.
Old July 28th, 2005, 03:13 AM   #16
Azn_chi_boi

Likes (Received): 12

First of all the title is kinda misleading, to bring people to read the thread.

Second of all, I heard that the Colorado River has dried up in Mexico, as it doesnt reach the Gulf of California.

http://com.miami.edu/collaborative/a...ngColorado.htm

Doesnt this would affect the Southwestern states, as they always fight about the river, and year by year that region gain more and more people.

Um... the five Great Lakes are very large, and maybe 20% of the world freshwater.

See look here, if you elimate the Casipen Sea, since that is salt water.

Lake Superior is 1st in the largest freshwater lake in the world.

3rd is Huron, 4th is Michigan, 12th is Erie and 14th is Ontario.
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 04:55 AM   #17
louisianacharm

who said that the lakes belong to that area. those lakes belong to us all. just like the mississippi, salt lake, mizzou river, puget sound, hudson bay, etc. its not theres to just wallop over. its ours.
louisianacharm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 05:00 AM   #18
waj0527

Likes (Received): 771

This is exactly why I refuse to live from the Atlantic Ocean.
waj0527 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 05:08 AM   #19
SChristopher

Why is that now?
Old July 28th, 2005, 05:09 AM   #20
SDfan

Likes (Received): 44

The Colorado doesn't reach the Gulf anymore.
Advertisement