Discussion > General Melbourne related banter - Page 371 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Victoria

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 17th, 2019, 03:09 AM   #7401
JCooza

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papps View Post
Type of use will be interesting....

Wasn’t the original plan (was it EF or FK?) entirely Apartments? May now need to be a multi-use development to suit the current marketplace scenario.... office/hotel/serviced apartments/apartments and as you say, retail.
Was EF.. hopefully a redesign is in the works.

JCooza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2019, 04:08 AM   #7402
Decatur

Likes (Received): 2116

I'm seeing a really significant recovery in demand for inner city high rise apartment sites. I'm not surprised that that City Road site is changing hands (although I have no knowledge of that one) and I know of several developers trying to get their hands on any remaining sites that have Guy era planning permits still in place. Keep an eye on Clarke St Southbank for example and I'm lead to believe that we might know more about 28 Power St in the not-too-distant future.

MelbSkyline liked this post
Decatur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 05:49 AM   #7403
db2

Likes (Received): 3972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decatur View Post
I'm seeing a really significant recovery in demand for inner city high rise apartment sites. I'm not surprised that that City Road site is changing hands (although I have no knowledge of that one) and I know of several developers trying to get their hands on any remaining sites that have Guy era planning permits still in place. Keep an eye on Clarke St Southbank for example and I'm lead to believe that we might know more about 28 Power St in the not-too-distant future.
So we went from mega-boom, to impending collapse due to finance drying up and massive oversupply, back to alright again in a blink of 12-15 months.

Shortest bust ever. Yes, I am surprised too. Aspire and UNO don't get built unless fundamentals are decent to good.

38 Freshwater Place / 35 Power Street has a legit 280m planning permit. Surely someone can make that work. I also wonder about Hanover House next door which has a 216m permit. If Beulah is cashed up, they should gobble that site up and append it their Green Spine project.

P.S. I find it very easy to spend other people's money.

ramges, HenryX liked this post
db2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 07:45 AM   #7404
UrbanUnderbelly

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2 View Post
So we went from mega-boom, to impending collapse due to finance drying up and massive oversupply, back to alright again in a blink of 12-15 months.

Shortest bust ever. Yes, I am surprised too. Aspire and UNO don't get built unless fundamentals are decent to good.

38 Freshwater Place / 35 Power Street has a legit 280m planning permit. Surely someone can make that work. I also wonder about Hanover House next door which has a 216m permit. If Beulah is cashed up, they should gobble that site up and append it their Green Spine project.

P.S. I find it very easy to spend other people's money.
Fairly low unemployment and a growing population... the fundamentals are there. The question remains, however: is this sustainable or is it a slight uptick purely due to low rates and an increase in lending? If the latter, it might be short lived, because if the economy is stagnant, so are wages, meaning the mountains of household debt will bite eventually.
UrbanUnderbelly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 11:55 AM   #7405
Lightning~Bolt
Proud "Pricktorian"

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by A r c h i View Post
^This is worth checking out:

https://www.dsmelbourne.com/news/
Thank you. Looks like heaps has actually been happening there, didn't even know!
If nothing else, I think that anyone visiting the forum will take comfort in the fact of knowing that no matter how low their own IQ may be, by comparison to the morons in that forum, they're practically geniuses.
Lightning~Bolt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 11:57 AM   #7406
pdoff

Likes (Received): 757

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decatur View Post
One thing that puzzles me is the three-year commencement deadline from the date of approval. Was it only applicable to certain permits? It's strange that Guy era permits still exist.
pdoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 12:25 PM   #7407
skyhooks

Likes (Received): 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoff View Post
One thing that puzzles me is the three-year commencement deadline from the date of approval. Was it only applicable to certain permits? It's strange that Guy era permits still exist.

Permits always have a commencement and completion deadline, typically 2 years to commence. Permits can be extended, usually once but the applicant needs to demonstrate they are committed to the delivery.

They can continue to be extended with amendments but as we saw with Windsor hotel the government don’t allow endless time.

I’m surprised there are still permits Guy issued but they may have been able to play the game and be a Labour Party donor.
skyhooks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 01:05 PM   #7408
log0008

Likes (Received): 829

One positive IMO is rental vacancy rates, across the 3 major postcodes for the CBD, Docklands, and Southbank, there has been minimal deviation from the normal yearly cycle over the last few years.

skyhooks liked this post
log0008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 01:49 PM   #7409
pdoff

Likes (Received): 757

^ It shouldn't come as a surprise. Those three suburbs combined have been adding, on average, 7,000 new residents each year since 2013. That requires, on average, 4,000 new apartments each year. Or all 4 WSP towers and an Aurora added.... every year. Yet the sensationalist media goes into an oversupply frenzy every time an apartment boom threatens to take off.

log0008 liked this post
pdoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 01:46 AM   #7410
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 5057

What I love about this is, apparently there are swathes of empty apartments in Docklands but this is showing only 180. This is 1 buildings worth!
Old September 19th, 2019, 09:08 AM   #7411
christarrant

Likes (Received): 20

The "Claremont Crane Count" ( aka CCC ) has hit 50 !!
For the past couple of years I've closely observed the workings of inner Melbs from our Claremont St South Yarra apartment balcony.
It's a pretty breathtaking view which takes my breath away every time I look ( the iphone photo doesnt really do it justice) and from here we can now visually count 50 constuction cranes ( the port dock cranes don't count ) which is easily the most we've counted.
The least was 28 about 18 months ago which at the time was pretty impressive.
Australia 108 looks pretty much bang on Eureka's height from our perspective.
4 cranes in South Yarra/Prahran ( can't see much else apart from Claremont St ).
14 in Richmond/ Abbots/Collingwood
3 on St Kilda Rd
The rest in the City/Soutbank

Last edited by christarrant; September 19th, 2019 at 09:17 AM.
christarrant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 06:35 AM   #7412
Malvern3144

Likes (Received): 396

Discussion > General Melbourne related banter

Latest population stats released by the ABS for the year ended 31 March 2019.

VIC grew by a further 133,500 to 6,566,200. An increase of 2.1%.

VIC's total is just shy of 26% of the country's total population.

VIC continues to grow the fastest in both % and aggregate terms.

The state also had the highest net overseas migration attracting approx 37% of the country's net immigration. NSW was about 33%.

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs%...7?OpenDocument

Last edited by Malvern3144; September 20th, 2019 at 09:45 PM.
Malvern3144 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz, melbourne