U/C: Pacific Highway Upgrade (M1 Newcastle to Gold Coast) - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #1
marki
Moon Transit

Likes (Received): 885

U/C: Pacific Highway Upgrade (M1 Newcastle to Gold Coast)

Im suprised there isnt a thread for such a big project. Theres a lot of construction scattered all along the route.

The Ballina Bypass thread has plenty of detail on that particular project.

From the RTA, Pacific Highway upgrade:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/constructi...ade/index.html

The Pacific Highway is part of the National Land Transport Network. The Australian and New South Wales governments have been jointly upgrading the Pacific Highway since 1996. Together, $3.6 billion has been committed to continue the upgrade of the highway over the five years to mid 2014.

Currently 300 km out of a total of 677 of the Pacific Highway between Hexham and the Queensland border are now double lane divided road. A further 54 km are under construction. Just under 50 kilometres have had construction contracts awarded or tenders invited. The remaining sections of highway are either approved for construction of have a preferred route identified.

Mark.

Last edited by marki; February 7th, 2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: fix broken image link again (imageshack)
marki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #2
marki
Moon Transit

Karuah to Buladelah (Stage 2 & 3)

This upgrade is like a breath of fresh air after driving the notoriously congested and dangerous old highway. The pavement is smooth as a babys bottom and the grades and curves are gentle so cruise control works easily all the way. The 110 km/h speed limit saves about 10 minutes in light traffic and is safer with less fatigue, overall a pleasure to drive. Excellent rest area at Nerong Waterholes.

Project website: http://www.pacifichighwayupgrade.com.au/k2b2/

Locality Map (from RTA)

Remnant 2 lane highway extends 3km south of Buladelah

Start near Buladelah Plain (Southbound)

Houstons Flat

Toward Burdekins Gap

Nerong Turn Off

Nerong Waterholes Rest Area (looking South)

Nerong Waterholes Rest Area (looking North)

Southbound after Nerong Wateholes

Leading up to Myall Way (Southbound)

Myall Way Intersection

Project signage (sorry its a little blurry)

Mark.

Last edited by marki; December 10th, 2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: images fix broken link
Old December 7th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #3
marki
Moon Transit

Bonville Upgrade

The Bonville Upgrade replaces a bad and annoying stretch of highway and provides four lanes from Coffs Harbour to just short of Urunga.

Project website: http://www.pacifichighwayupgrade.com...e/index-2.html

Locality Map (from RTA)

Bongil Bongil NP Fauna Overpass

Archville Station Road Interchange

Bonville Creek Crossing

Lyons Road Sign

Mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #4
dallas

Likes (Received): 905

Nice work Marki. Do you know if there is a plan to eventually make the whole road freeway grade from Newcastle to Tweed?
dallas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #5
crazyknightsfan
derp

Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Likes (Received): 2181

there is a thread on it - the regional NSW transport thread
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=878698
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 01:13 AM   #6
marki
Moon Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas View Post
Nice work Marki. Do you know if there is a plan to eventually make the whole road freeway grade from Newcastle to Tweed?
There is, and we hear about it from politicians around regional election time or after a series of fatalities. The RTA outlines the current task handed to them on their website.

Its not entirely clear if it will be divided highway grade or freeway/motorway but the the pattern is generally freeway for bypass and new alignments (like Bonville) and divided highway for the rest (like Karuah to Buladelah). Parts of the highway alignment like Woolgoolga to Grafton is good enough that the duplication is simply another 2 lanes along side of it.

Mark.
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #7
westender

Likes (Received): 0

Wink

Nice to know that Karuah to Bulahdelah upgrade is done. I'm driving from Sydney to Coffs before Christmas.

Last time I drove on that stretch of road several months ago, I had to slow down for the road works, which was a long stretch of highway.

Spose those Bulahdelah to Karurah traffic snarls at the end of holiday breaks will be more something of the past now.

Oh God I hope I don't get caught in traffic at the small town of Kempsey, like I did a few years ago - worse than any traffic snarl I've been stuck in in Sydney. Still not much in upgrades between Port Maquarie and Macksville.

I remember in a hostle a few years ago when a couple of European girls described the Pacific Highway to a couple of other foreigners who were planning on driving north.

"The highway is divided until you get past Newcastle for several kilometres...then the traffic lanes suddenly come together."

Kind of found my self laughing as those who have grown up on the north coast know how bad the highway was years ago and bits of it kind of have been upgraded before the Hexam to Queensland projects.

I'm used to the single lane bits and upgrades makes it so much safer and better to drive.
westender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #8
crazyknightsfan
derp

Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Likes (Received): 2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Spose those Bulahdelah to Karurah traffic snarls at the end of holiday breaks will be more something of the past now.
Yep, it will just be Bulahdelah now - still with no way of avoiding it except the long detour to Gloucester.

Quote:
Oh God I hope I don't get caught in traffic at the small town of Kempsey, like I did a few years ago - worse than any traffic snarl I've been stuck in in Sydney. Still not much in upgrades between Port Maquarie and Macksville.
Kempsey Bypass first stage tenders were called months ago and it has funding from Ruddbucks.

The upgrades make it easier, for sure, but geez they are mind numbing to drive. I think I'll have to take a few detours to keep the mind awake.
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #9
TOCC

Likes (Received): 2781

Tweed Heads - Byron Bay is IMO one of the best quality and designed roads i have seen in Australia, it is just pure quality they whole way along, they havent sacraficed the natural surroundings either to plough a new road through, it almost looks like it belongs there.
TOCC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #10
joninbrisbane
The Delivery Guy

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
Tweed Heads - Byron Bay is IMO one of the best quality and designed roads i have seen in Australia, it is just pure quality they whole way along, they havent sacraficed the natural surroundings either to plough a new road through, it almost looks like it belongs there.
100% Agree, I think the newer sections are the best roads in Australia. Buladelah - Coolongolook is great aswell.
joninbrisbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #11
Elijah B.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

I'm not familiar with those Fauna Overpasses. What's to stop the fauna from trying to cross at ground level? Is there a fence, kilometres in length?
Elijah B. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #12
BleakCity
̙͈̩ͫ̎Ż̙̟̜̌ͫ́̒Hwhateͧ ̃̌va

Likes (Received): 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki
...and is safer with less fatigue
I don't know about that - boring freeway driving tends to put people to sleep.

Cite - the unbelievable amount of accidents that still happen on the Hume.

And from personal experience with the Princes and Hume Hwys to the same destination, the latter is definitely a more taxing drive.
BleakCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #13
BSD

Likes (Received): 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah B. View Post
I'm not familiar with those Fauna Overpasses. What's to stop the fauna from trying to cross at ground level? Is there a fence, kilometres in length?
These are special fences with road side grade rails help the natural setting where fauna overpasses existed.

Ballina bypass looking great lately but there are so much roadworks going on and also theres a design change for Cumbalum Interchange with new 'Cumbalum Way' roadlink for Ballina Heights and The Ridge.
BSD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #14
GMAC
Yeah but No!!

Likes (Received): 54

Im a regular driver between Brisbane and Sydney for work and the more this road open up the better. The completion of the Kew section will mean dual carraigeway 99% of the way south of Port Macquarie. Its a little bit of a shame that the most congested part of the road starts as soon as you get north of Port Macquarie and I would say it is now the worst stretch of road. Port Macquarie and Kempsey are so dependent on each other I really hope that this section becomes a priority soon, it is good to see the Kempsey bypass making headway and its fairly long too taking in Frederickton to the north. Bring it on!!!!
GMAC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #15
castrovalva

Likes (Received): 784

Quote:
I remember in a hostle a few years ago when a couple of European girls described the Pacific Highway to a couple of other foreigners who were planning on driving north.

"The highway is divided until you get past Newcastle for several kilometres...then the traffic lanes suddenly come together."
I would like to put some of the words in these sentences together in a different way...
castrovalva no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #16
Westyguy

Likes (Received): 473

Contruction started on the upgrade in 1996 and next year 2010 the Highway will be 50% upgraded.

Will it take another 14 years for the rest to be completed?
Westyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #17
marki
Moon Transit

The boring highway at 90km/h with no rest areas, that it replaced, also put people to sleep.

Fatigue (and other) accidents are more serious two lane highway because of the increased risk of head-ons and trees nearer to the road. On inland roads, it seems road authorities reduce fatigue by attracting kangaroos to the roadside at random spots and without warning signs so that drivers are kept both alert and alarmed. They also reduce fatigue by changing speed limits and putting 60km/h signs on highways in the middle of nowhere for no apparent reason.

I prefer initiatives like expanding driver reviver and better rest areas with facilities like showers etc.

The accidents on the Hume occur because most Austalians must be bad drivers driving bad cars. The state governments confirm this by reducing the speed limits then putting police/cameras on every corner. What other reason does the Hume and many motorways have a speed limit of 100/110 on wide lanes, a good surface, in good weather, over a long distance, with light traffic. Compared with congested motorways in Europe, USA, South America and Asia with speed limits around 130.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleakCity View Post
I don't know about that - boring freeway driving tends to put people to sleep.

Cite - the unbelievable amount of accidents that still happen on the Hume.

And from personal experience with the Princes and Hume Hwys to the same destination, the latter is definitely a more taxing drive.
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #18
marki
Moon Transit

Couple weeks ago I saw constructon site boxes across the highway from the houses in Frederickton. There were a dozen or so typical workers (one with plan or something, another pointing toward Macleay River, another on a phone and the rest watching the other three). Something is happening but slowly.

Apart from Kempsey and odd-spots like Warrell Creek, the upgrade from Port Macquarie to Macksville will simply involve adding another 2 lane carriageway alongside the existing one and smoothing out a curve or two, then fix the old road where needed.

If you suspect heavy traffic on the north side of Kempsey, there is a good rat-run to the east of the town. You can detour to picturesque South West Rocks using this route also. The rat run north from Port Macquarie involves a nice ferry but the unsealed road was fairly rough the last time i tried it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
Its a little bit of a shame that the most congested part of the road starts as soon as you get north of Port Macquarie and I would say it is now the worst stretch of road. Port Macquarie and Kempsey are so dependent on each other I really hope that this section becomes a priority soon, it is good to see the Kempsey bypass making headway and its fairly long too taking in Frederickton to the north. Bring it on!!!!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyknightsfan View Post
Kempsey Bypass first stage tenders were called months ago and it has funding from Ruddbucks.

The upgrades make it easier, for sure, but geez they are mind numbing to drive. I think I'll have to take a few detours to keep the mind awake.
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #19
marki
Moon Transit

There seems to be a new website for the Pacifc Hwy Upgrade by the RTA:

http://www.pacifichighwayupgrade.com.au/
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:02 AM   #20
BSD

Likes (Received): 253

Thank god!

Tintenbar to Ewingsdale upgrade

THE upgrade of the Tintenbar to Ewingsdale section of the Pacific Highway to dual carriageway has moved to the top of the State Government’s priority list, the assistant minister for transport David Borger announced yesterday.

Mr Borger outlined three priority areas the government hoped to complete by 2014: the Ballina to the Queensland border section; the F3 Freeway near Hexham to Port Macquarie; and sections to the north and south of Coffs Harbour.

According to a spokeswoman, the minister could not guarantee the 2014 completion date and no commitment could be given on the upgrade of the deadly Grafton to Ballina section.

She also could not offer a starting date for the Tintenbar (at Ross Lane) to Ewingsdale (north of the Byron turn-off) upgrade but said the preferred route was established and available to view on the RTAs website and that planning approval was currently being sought.

Mr Borger said $3.6 billion had been committed to the next phase of the Pacific Highway upgrade between Hexham and the Queensland border and it was one of the largest infrastructure projects in NSW history.

While the state and federal governments promised full completion of the dual carriageway by 2006, so far only 300km of the 677km section is finished.

The Federal Government has promised $3.1 billion while NSW has attracted considerable criticism for only contributing $500 million.

The minister could not say if more funds would be allocated to the project in the future but he did say there had been safety upgrades in some sections and 19 new rest areas had been built along the route.

The next priority is the dual carriageway from Port Macquarie to Raleigh, south of Coffs Harbour, which will complete the section from Hexham to Coffs Harbour.
http://www.northernstar.com.au/story...-top-priority/
BSD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz