U/C | SYDNEY | Metro: City & Southwest (Chatswood to Sydenham and Bankstown) - Page 321 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 5th, 2019, 03:25 AM   #6401
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 5113

the perfect solution for Bankstown will be found
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2019, 04:34 AM   #6402
DAJAN

Likes (Received): 1226

Those earlier reports of Yagoona potentially being the Metro terminus. ... was that ever a serious possibility under consideration, or just speculation?
DAJAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2019, 06:06 AM   #6403
Ernie Purrnie

Likes (Received): 76

I think Sydney Metro were simply canvassing their options in the following order: 1) Bankstown above ground interchange - proving difficult given space constraints; 2) Yagoona interchange - the local NIMBY's killed that idea off; 3) Bankstown underground interchange - maybe this is back on the table?

But thanks for reminding me of that Yagoona option, it accidentally took me to Bankstown council's underground metro vision video, I must admit it's impressive and this was back in 2017. The development over the underground station in the vision is extensive and could contribute to a good chunk of the cost. And the council is to this day still advocating for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6kd9nlRxUs

ArtNouveau liked this post
Ernie Purrnie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2019, 06:37 AM   #6404
moz999

Likes (Received): 598

Where was the Yagoona Nimby stuff?

Yagoona possibly works as a temporary (5-10yr) solution as well given I'd assume an underground solution at Bankstown may blow out timelines.

Also much more room to build an additional side platform (I'd think you really only need one given how the Metro turns around) and leave Bankstown relatively untouched.

Certainly I suspect cheaper than the end on end construction that the EIS proposed for Bankstown.
moz999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2019, 06:51 AM   #6405
moz999

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomwhoosh View Post
Looks like Nancy is moving on..
Nancy data point moved to 6.24km (advanced 240m - which I guess is a 220m platform plus 2x10m stubs) but she doesn't appear to have started moving again.
Old September 5th, 2019, 07:02 AM   #6406
Ernie Purrnie

Likes (Received): 76

Good point but if they build an additional side platform at Bankstown for metro, why not go one step simpler and designate platform 1 for metro and platform 2 for DD and build crossovers beyond each end? Simply walk across the same platform for interchange at an absolute minimum cost and interruption.

As for the Yagoona Nimby stuff, that's purely my speculation. It's difficult to know what they're thinking of doing about it after it lost media coverage virtually overnight after the Nimby's came out and Sydney metro went silent.
Ernie Purrnie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2019, 09:04 AM   #6407
prp002

Likes (Received): 4272

There's bugger all people around Yagoona station m8. Just some old fibro houses and a park
prp002 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2019, 11:09 AM   #6408
hornetfig

What are we doing with Birrong under this Yagoona-termination scenario?
hornetfig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2019, 01:01 PM   #6409
moz999

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetfig View Post
Stays as is under either scenario I'd think. And you convert the remainder of T3 to a 4-car shuttle.

Light Rail is probably more suitable but can't see the cost benefit in converting it.
Old September 5th, 2019, 01:32 PM   #6410
zoomwhoosh

Likes (Received): 1419

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBrissy View Post
the perfect solution for Bankstown will be found
Yep..
zoomwhoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2019, 01:34 PM   #6411
DAJAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetfig View Post
Birrong would still be the next station after Yagoona on a Yagoona-Liverpool (and/or Yagoona-Lidcombe) shuttle.

Although it would be cheaper to just run Lidcombe-Liverpool as a shuttle and have a bus do Yagoona-Birrong- Regents Park.
Old September 5th, 2019, 01:41 PM   #6412
zoomwhoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintpot View Post
Bankstown has been parked (as far as the public domain is concerned) whilst they work out what to do with it. Futureproofing for Liverpool extension and operational pattern for the rump T3 are the key issues. The designers (Mott Mac/Arcadis) are working on it behind closed doors

When they decide what to do, they'll procure a separate construction contract for it

Will be keeping a close eye on these station contracts. With a bit of luck the government will get bent over and rooted with large quantities of swarf and ground glass in the lube for how they've handled it
So long as they're wearing protection..

Seriously though. Who are Mott Mac?

Also, my understanding is that TfNSW has explored options including a Bankstown to Parramatta metro. Whether that's a part of Sydney Metro or something else is yet to be seen.

One issue with the T3 rump is that it would be tempting for TfNSW to simply metro convert all of it, but then having an underground Bankstown station makes that a bit more complex/expensive.
Old September 5th, 2019, 01:43 PM   #6413
zoomwhoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJAN View Post
Birrong would still be the next station after Yagoona on a Yagoona-Liverpool (and/or Yagoona-Lidcombe) shuttle.

Although it would be cheaper to just run Lidcombe-Liverpool as a shuttle and have a bus do Yagoona-Birrong- Regents Park.
Leaving aside any Bankstown-Liverpool extension, I'd be perfectly happy to see the rump of T3 metro converted, making Cabramatta and Lidcombe both a terminus.
Old September 5th, 2019, 01:53 PM   #6414
moz999

Quote:

One issue with the T3 rump is that it would be tempting for TfNSW to simply metro convert all of it, but then having an underground Bankstown station makes that a bit more complex/expensive.
Such limited use i cant see the cost benefit in conversion of the remainder of T3.

As per the Bankstown Council pres, undergrounding everything at Bankstown can release some big $s in the railway corridoor - wouldn't make sense to just underground the Metro but leave the old terminus station and track.

Now if Olympic Park does become central for a future HSR lines...
Then I could see an Olympic Park-Lidcombe (with new underground interchange)- Bankstown - Riverwood - Sutherland may make sense
Old September 5th, 2019, 02:35 PM   #6415
zoomwhoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz999 View Post
Such limited use i cant see the cost benefit in conversion of the remainder of T3.

As per the Bankstown Council pres, undergrounding everything at Bankstown can release some big $s in the railway corridoor - wouldn't make sense to just underground the Metro but leave the old terminus station and track.

Now if Olympic Park does become central for a future HSR lines...
Then I could see an Olympic Park-Lidcombe (with new underground interchange)- Bankstown - Riverwood - Sutherland may make sense
Well for the first point, metro conversion of the remainder of T3 would be reasonably limited in cost. The other thing is that bringing the benefits of a metro to these stations would see a big uptick in use. There is also the cost of maintaining a rump service itself.

I see the sense in undergrounding Bankstown station. That wouldn't preclude assimilation of the rest of T3 into the metro.

Olympic Park isn't the only place you could have a HSR station and if you did, then you'd probably have to take over the showgrounds or at least part thereof (Brisbane is doing something similar). I've flirted with the idea of extending the metro through Lidcombe to Olympic Park but there are other possibilities.
Old September 5th, 2019, 02:56 PM   #6416
DAJAN

Quote:
Leaving aside any Bankstown-Liverpool extension, I'd be perfectly happy to see the rump of T3 metro converted, making Cabramatta and Lidcombe both a terminus.
The early Metro proposals did include branching to both those termini in fact.

One of the limitations is that some freight does run from Chullora via Regents Park to access the Western line. Not sure if there’s any particular reason that freight cannot just go past Rookwood instead.
Old September 5th, 2019, 03:01 PM   #6417
hornetfig

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJAN View Post

That's my point. You're not going to both to service Birrong or Yagoona with a Sydney Trains service, surely, under this scenario.
hornetfig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2019, 03:20 PM   #6418
moz999

I think you would (unless you close the whole lot and convert to buses)
Just not the cost-benefit in conversion to metro.
A few 3-car sets and a few drivers on a 10-minute frequency isn't that expensive to run once you have the infrastructure.

Whereas Metro conversion is not cheap, new trains, new signalling, platform straightening, PSDs, yada yada.
And that small triangle doesn't need the increased frequency that metro brings, and it doesn't provide benefits to other lines (like T2/TO that the to Bankstown section brings)
Old September 5th, 2019, 03:29 PM   #6419
prp002

Likes (Received): 4272

The elderly residents of Yagoona, Birrong, Sefton and Chester Hill would be up in arms about your assertions if they could get out of their recliners.
prp002 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2019, 03:35 PM   #6420
zoomwhoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz999 View Post
I think you would (unless you close the whole lot and convert to buses)
Just not the cost-benefit in conversion to metro.
A few 3-car sets and a few drivers on a 10-minute frequency isn't that expensive to run once you have the infrastructure.

Whereas Metro conversion is not cheap, new trains, new signalling, platform straightening, PSDs, yada yada.
And that small triangle doesn't need the increased frequency that metro brings, and it doesn't provide benefits to other lines (like T2/TO that the to Bankstown section brings)
Half the reason why its so underutilised at the moment is because the present train service is so infrequent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz