CORK - Pairc Ui Caoimh (45,000) - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 7th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #1
limerickguy

Likes (Received): 217

CORK - Pairc Ui Caoimh (45,000)

Pairc Ui Caoimh is home to cork gaa, with a capacity of 43,000 it is the third largest stadium in munster and fifth largest in the republic of Ireland.

some legendary munster final atmosphere

limerickguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:44 PM   #2
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 1004

There were plans to redevelop this stadium into a state-of-the-art 60,000 capacity sports and concert venue in the future.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 01:34 AM   #3
Mr. Fitz
Get Your Walk On Son!

Likes (Received): 5

I hope so, I'd love to see the GAA stadiums become like Bundesliga stadiums, if you know what I mean.
Mr. Fitz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2010, 01:05 PM   #4
limerickguy

Likes (Received): 217

they certainly need it, anyone remember a couple years ago..i think it was the munster final, there were loads of people sitting at the edge of the pitch cos there wasnt any room for them?! something u would see in the 70s or something!
limerickguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 04:07 PM   #5
Mr. Fitz
Get Your Walk On Son!

They're just so ugly, I hate them.
Mr. Fitz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 04:13 AM   #6
hitmanhart

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Cork chiefs target 2015 for new stadium

By Fintan O’Toole

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

CORK GAA chiefs are aiming to stage the first games in the redeveloped Páirc Uí Chaoimh in the early months of the 2015 season.

The Cork County Board last night received the green light from city council officials to commence the project after the sale of seven acres of publicly owned land next to the stadium was agreed. Cork GAA chairman Jerry O’Sullivan last night revealed that they are hopeful the planning and consultation phase of the project will be completed in the next twelve months, which will be a followed by a two-year construction phase that will see the stadium undergo a radical makeover and a centre of excellence being developed.

"We’re absolutely delighted and we warmly welcome the decision. We will start on the application for planning permission very soon but these things do take time and we’d hope to have that done by next April. Realistically you never know then how long it will take for planning to be granted because of objections but by this time next year, I think we can target the work to be completed.

"The development of the centre of excellence and the building of a new stand will take time, but we’d predict there’ll be about two years in the construction of it. So then you’re looking at it being done by the end of 2014 and everything ready for the start of the 2015 season. That’s the plan anyway but it’s very difficult to accurately measure these things."

O’Sullivan praised the decision taken by city councillors and insisted that the running of Cork GAA would not be disrupted during the construction phase because of the availability of Páirc Uí Rinn to stage club and inter-county games.

"It’s great news from our point of view and we’re delighted that the councillors have come to this decision. We’re very grateful to the city manager for his role in all this and a lot of the credit must go to our own secretary Frank Murphy as well as he has had numerous meetings with the city manager on this project. We’re lucky that we have a fantastic facility in Páirc Uí Rinn to help us in the running of GAA in the county. It’s a great second stadium and while it can’t hold senior inter-county championship games, it is suitable for everything else and will be very valuable to us during the redevelopment of Páirc Uí Chaoimh."

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/k...#ixzz1bwZxc64K

hitmanhart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 07:17 AM   #7
MS20

Likes (Received): 2

What are the dimensions for GAA grounds? Massive.

Quote:
There were plans to redevelop this stadium into a state-of-the-art 60,000 capacity sports and concert venue in the future.
How could anyone justify a 60k seater in Cork? It'd be madness.
MS20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 03:06 AM   #8
hitmanhart

Other than the plans shown the proposed redevelopment is sketchy at the moment. Even the Cork county board don't know whether the stadium will be a 40/50 or even a 60 thousand capacity stadium. Details should become apparent by next April.

For me a 45 thousand capacity stadium would be ideal with greater emphasis on corporate and premium facilities. Other than Croke Park the standard of newly built stands/stadiums in the country are inferior to those being built in Europe. Its high time the GAA started building stadiums with an emphasis on design and functionality rather than looking at the highest number of people it can cram in. Lets hope Páirc Uí Chaoimh will be a start.
Old October 28th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #9
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 1004

So will the redeveloped stadium become all-seater or will some terracing remain in the redeveloped stadium?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #10
hitmanhart

I think they plan to keep the terracing at both ends but reduce the capacities of both stands.Therefore if there is an increase in capacity it will be in an extra number of seats.

Looking at the plans I would imagine that a new stand in the style of Braga's stadium will be built.Hopefully anyway.

Old November 5th, 2011, 03:41 AM   #11
jpgjohnnyg
boondock

Likes (Received): 106

First of all any redevelopment of Pairc ui Chaoimh is to be welcomed.
The plans in the Cork Echo are indeed sketchy seeing as the main stand looks massive compared to the existing stand on one of the drawings and then the remaining stands on the second drawing follows the exact same outline/shape of the existing stands which I would hope isnt replicated.
The other concern is in an interview one of the county board members seemed to be none the wiser as to what the plan was - a capacity between 40-60000 at a cost of 30-70 million maybe all seater or maybe retaining terracing. I dont understand how they are not more clued up when they hope to start work on it in the spring.
If phase 1 and 2 are completed like the echo says then we will have one impressive stand and the remainder of the stadium will be similar to the redeveloped part of the Gaelic grounds in Limerick. For those who dont know what this stadium is like all I can say is it is functional but very basic and worst of all why build a new stadium in WET Ireland without a roof. The roof doesnt have to be fancy even something similar to the roof on the newest RDS stand would suffice.
50 million isnt alot of money in todays world but I think it is still enough to build a good stadium especially if the capacity is reduced to 35000-40000 all seater.
Another option if they are tight for money is to develop 3 stands for now and keep the existing main stand (which has a roof) bring it up to basic health and safety standards and rearrange the seats (removing 1/3rd of the capacity) so that everyones not kneeing the person infront in the back. Then at a later date rebuild the stand when more money is available.
I also hope the GAA would have the sense to open the stadium to other sports!!
P.S Anybody have any plans or drawings for the new Casement - 100 million for 40000 all seater has the potential to be very impressive
jpgjohnnyg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 12:20 PM   #12
jpgjohnnyg
boondock

A new health and safety report due in the New Year is going to give the GAA a massive headache and will result in big reductions in capacity at many grounds with Pairc ui Chaoimh looking at having its capacity halved - looks like they better hurry up with the new stadium and lets hope they do a good job and have the forsight to improve the build quality so that the stadium is fit for purpose for many years!!!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gael...s-2940137.html
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:17 AM   #13
jpgjohnnyg
boondock

Earlier this month Cork county GAA appointed a couple of companies to design the new stadium. Looking forward to seeing some proper facts and figures and drawings for the new stadium.

http://stwarchitects.blogspot.com/20...opment-of.html

I hope the GAA have some long term plan and not the usual half hearted effort that looks like a dump. Here is an example of what Pairc ui Chaoimh and the new Casement could be like.

This stadium is 45000 all seaster and can have one end converted for terracing to increase capacity to 55000 (see photo) and costed 85m euro.
A similar stadium to this but with a smaller capacity would be ideal. Casement will easily have this money and Pairc ui chaoimh could also be like this if built in phases like Croke park.
Now back in the real world we will get a stadium just like the gaelic grounds in Limerick but with one side with a 2 tier stand (ie most of the spectators will be soaked as usual) hardly cutting edge and I guess the final cost will be at least 60M euro for Pairc ui Chaoimh and 100m pounds for casement - work that one out!
Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:19 PM   #14
Harry1990

Likes (Received): 63

how much longer is a gaelic footie pitch compared to a soccer/rugby pitch?

i went to the first rugby game at croke park in 2007 and there seemed quite a distance between the ingoal area and the edge of the stand? and are alot ot the gaelic football teams looking to modernise/expand there stadia i have always hoped that ireland would get a RWC or Euros, cause i love both croke and landsowne road both old and new.

and is standing allowed in ireland or not? please don't beat us in the 6 nations this year
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:32 PM   #15
MrChavcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry1990 View Post
how much longer is a gaelic footie pitch compared to a soccer/rugby pitch?

i went to the first rugby game at croke park in 2007 and there seemed quite a distance between the ingoal area and the edge of the stand? and are alot ot the gaelic football teams looking to modernise/expand there stadia i have always hoped that ireland would get a RWC or Euros, cause i love both croke and landsowne road both old and new.

and is standing allowed in ireland or not? please don't beat us in the 6 nations this year
they're much longer and much wider. hence croke park looked a bit ridiculous when it was converted for soccer and rugby.

LAYiddo liked this post
MrChavcore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #16
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 22694

Quote:
Talks around detailed developments on the Páirc Uí Chaoimh stadium in Cork worth reportedly €60m are to go ahead this week.

Cork’s City Manager Tim Lucey revealed last night that the Cork County Board is set to begin pre-planning talks for the multimillion euro refurbishment of the GAA stadium.
The announcement comes days after the approval of plans for an 85-acre public park, to be located in the city’s docklands beside the stadium.

The draft masterplan for the proposed amenity, Marina Park, and GAA plans to extend and modernise Páirc Uí Chaoimh was approved following the assessment of 25 valid submissions since the plans were available for public viewing four weeks ago.

An additional seven submissions raised some concerns but the majority of the city councillors have welcomed the project, giving the plans a green light with a majority vote of 23 to five. More detailed plans could be lodged with Cork’s City Hall before the end of the year, said Lucey.

After securing planning permission, the project is expected to be accomplished within two years. The initiative will be welcomed in the southern county, not least with the creation for up to 300 construction jobs to help the project reach its conclusion.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...QzkZCSGHRBBtZw
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #17
jpgjohnnyg
boondock

60 million should provide a reasonable modern stadium however the last plans I heard involved 1 new 2 tier stand, moving the roof from the to be knocked down stand to the other side and leaving the end terraces - to me that sounds like the biggest waste of 60 mill ever. I am looking forward to seeing any new designs which hopefully will show a completely different approach
Old July 17th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #18
gavstar00

Likes (Received): 142

New photos leaked of the planned revamp of the stadium

Images from Irish Examiner

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...ed-236330.html
Quote:
The GAA has released the first images of its redevelopment plans for the Páirc Uí Chaoimh stadium in Cork.

The project will see a complete modernisation of the existing stadium to house 45,000 spectators, the redevelopment and roofing of both stands, the incorporation of new dressing rooms, a pre-match warm up area, medical facilities, restaurants, meeting and conference rooms, media facilities, museum, new and additional turnstiles, the elimination of the existing stadium “tunnels” and the creation of new access and egress points for spectators.

The stadium will fully meet “accessible to all” criteria for patrons.

The Centre of Excellence will include an all weather pitch, new gymnasium, dressing rooms, video, performance assessment and rehab facilities.

The full size all weather pitch will be a critical part of the Centre of Excellence for Cork County and Development Squads and will also be offered as a facility for local clubs and schools.

The huge construction project is expected to create 300 jobs.

A planning application is expected to be lodged with Cork City Council in October, and pending the outcome of the planning process, the project is expected to take two years to complete.

alexandru.mircea liked this post

Last edited by gavstar00; July 17th, 2013 at 05:23 PM.
gavstar00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #19
ChesterCopperpot

Likes (Received): 705

would this turn into an all-seater stadium then?
ChesterCopperpot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #20
gavstar00

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterCopperpot View Post
would this turn into an all-seater stadium then?
Not sure, judging from the visuals, both end stands would remain terraces which isn't necessarily a bad thing as the terracing in GAA stadiums tends to lend itself to the atmosphere.

My only concern is that with €60m for the entire project, there probably isn't a massive amount leftover after the Sean McCarthy stand is finished for the other three stands. Whatever about the end terraces remaining standing (a good thing in my book), it'd be a real shame if the other side stand just had new seats bolted onto the terrace and if nothing was done to improve facilities in the concourse areas of all three
gavstar00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement