Port Voyage ~ La Cala | Community Project | General Thread - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Creative Corner > The Drawing Board > 3D Designs

3D Designs Showcase for your designs done in CAD, SketchUp or other 3D programs

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:28 PM   #1
Dubai Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 2758

Port Voyage ~ La Cala | Community Project | General Thread

PLEASE READ
PLEASE READ

Okay, everyone. We need to talk. Think of this as an awakening.

The activity on this thread has slowed down some since the summer and i think most of the blame may be school and collage. I understand that, you probably noticed me slowed down since summer, that is also true. School work is a pain, especially if you want to make a good grade point average. Its not easy, i can tell you that. Because of it, me and dubaiskyscraper have fears that this project may never get finished. I believe that this certainly can go unfinished, but i do not want that to happen at all. We have come so far that we can not give up. And i think the only way that we can finish it if we can try this plan i have.

We need to split the city up. (not into separate parts ) but in assigning different items in making the city to different people involved the project. What i mean is that we need some one to do roads, one to do highways, ect. I will give a full list later. There is just too much to do in the city than just submitting buildings, and there is no way i can do all of them quickly. I want people to take this seriously, this is not another announcement saying what we need to do, I feel that we need to do this idea if we want to finish this city soon. I know most of us are in school and collage and that we need to make good grades, and i agree, making good grades is the most important thing, but we all have some free time as well. I know i have been on my little xbox too much and could sacrifice some time. So i ask if you want to do one of the "objectives" that i will have listed, i want you to be very serious about it and try to get it done. I may not be able to tell you what to do, like if you chose to do roads, don't tell me how to make them because i believe you can figure that out your self. Only exception is the website(if you chose that, i can help you). This will be a lot of work but im just asking you to do some work for me. I can not do all of it and this is a community project. I'm sure if you want to see this city finish, you can sacrifice some time into doing it.

And probably half of you are saying "why is he telling us this? The city is going on just fine." And i want to say that it is, you guys are doing great, but there is alot more to this city than just submitting buildings. One example may be that if you look at the map, there are a but load of tiny empty spaces in between some lots and they need to be filled. Some more may be that the highway need to be finished and so on.

Okay, i am going to go ahead and tell you what needs to be done. And i may forget some so if you have any suggestions that could be added to the city, go for it. You can volunteer what ever one you may be interested in, but remember, i want you to take it seriously. Dedicate some free time and really try. Oh and if someone else all ready volunteered something you are interested, that docent mean that you can't do it, you can certainly work together. Im sure everyone here is nice and they won't bite . It will sure make things go quicker. So here it is, if you can do some of these, it will be so much help to me and the city.

The highway.
we need someone to make all of the highways in the city. I have a file of a highway section that i think dars made if you want. I also saw t34now made one for some of his renders if you want to ask him.

Beaches.
We need someone to make the beaches. The wonderful 5 star beaches right? We do not need a million umbrellas but at lest some entrances, parking lots in some areas. You can make some shower areas, small restaurants. If you have ever been to a beach, you will know what i mean.

Docks
We need someone to make some docks. I think reconinator mentioned that he was going to make some but he hasn't been around here for a while so i need someone else to make some items. And for some clarification, i mean the industrial docks in the city. (purple area)

Coastline
Your probably saying "coastline? what needs work there?" Well, if you look at the map, preferably the north end of the city you will see what i mean. See the large white "lots" on the edge of the sea? Yeah, we need them filled. Some ideas may be viewing spots, side walks ect. There are more spots in the city like the tallamolla area. Only exception will be the right side of the old town, most of that area is are the rocks I made. If you want to do that area, just tell me and i can give you some locations on where to build,

Roads
This is probably the one im sure you will love. Make roads in the city. (yay) I would suggest not using textures. Try doing what mike has done in some of his lots. More than one person is suggestive.

Website
Yes we need to work on the website. I am not a programmer, i did not build it on my own. I use a website called wix to make it. It is very simple to learn and use and i can teach you, no problem. I can pm you details regarding login ect.

Tiny spaces
There are alot of tiny spaces that needs to be filled in the city with grass, trees, parks and so on. This is easy but i want you to put some effort into it. Do not draw a square and paint it green. I can give you a list where some spaces are that need to be filled.

Advertising
Let me get this straight, we are not going to place banners on the internet. I just have this here for you to give ideas on how we can get more people involved.

Like i said, please take it seriously. I want alot of people here to get involved with one of the items listed above. Now do not think that if you chose one like the roads or highways and think you have to do all of it. Please, by all means, split it up into sections. You can say "Hey skyman, can i do the roads in sections B5 - C6?" Certainly, and also do not think that we need to get this done in a week, we can still have as much time as we need but i think this will make things go a lot quicker. I can also make a list on who's doing what too.

And one more thing, still keep the buildings coming.

I'm sorry for this long announcement and i think half of you think it might be pointless and that we will be just fine without doing any of the things above and just continue on with what we are doing. But this is what we will eventually have to do and i would like for some of you to do some of it than just supplying buildings.

Thank you, and forgive me of my typos, its like one in the morning here and i'm a tad bit tired.

MAIN UPDATE
PLEASE READ!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman045 View Post
Okay i got all the information together here. Just copy and past to the first post.

Important information! Please read!

Here is all you need to know about this project

General Info

This is a community project where we all build a city with our own buildings. Any one can help. Just a couple of guidelines to follow

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2465/finalne.jpg

This is the city map made by pingyao. The whole city is 10 km by 7 km, so it is pretty big. I split up the city into 1km square boxes like this one here.

This is the link to all of the kilometer sections as a grid. Each picture is labeled A7 or E3 and so on. With letters down the side of the map and Numbers across the top.

http://www.box.net/shared/oiv4b8807j

Here is the map showing the height restrictions on each lot. This is important that every one follows this.

image hosted on flickr

I think that all the important stuff about this city, the next section will show you how to build a building and summit it.

Building your building

The first thing you must do is to pick a lot you want to build on. Please take one at a time. Here is a map showing what lots are already taken (blue lots).

To ensure your spot, please tell us by filling in a spot in a section and show us, like this.

After that, you will want to open up sketch up and place the section of the map that contains your lot. To place one of these pictures in to sketch up, you first must make a 1000m by 1000m square.

Once you do that, you go to File/Import and select you section of the map, make sure you use the image as a texture and that you are looking for Jpegs at the bottom.

Then you simply place it on to the square.

Then you can start building onto the lot, like this

please take care the file isn't too large, the limit is 2-3MB.
Once you are finished, delete the map and save the building. Then upload them up here via rapishare, filefront ect. I will then place your building onto the final map.

Hope that all makes sense. Start building. If you have any questions, tell Dubai Skyscraper, Pingyao, or Skyman045.
PLEASE TAKE ALSO CARE ABOUT THIS POST

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingyao View Post
WARNING - LONG NEGATIVE POST ALERT!!!!

Firstly heres the link to my texture library
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...886&highlight=. I actually swipe a lot of my textures from photos in these forums. Even if a facade in a photo is not straight on I can skew it in photoshop to look straight on and then just apply it as a texture. Believe me guys there is a limitless amount of facade textures out there. I have a library nearing 1000 individual facade textures at my disposal in Sta Fee - granted I've been collecting them for 2 years now, but if everyone does it, then there really is no problem

Secondly all I'm going to say is TEXTURES, TEXTURES, TEXTURES! Sorry, but its true. The only reason I have managed to build my biggest city so far (8 square Km's and counting) is by the use of textures. As Kazetuner said in post346, texturing the buildings is really the only way to go. Although I've seen some super models I am really thinking maybe this city only has another week or more before it gets retired to the 3D threads of the past. Sorry to be so negative, but I just feel theres too much detail on these buildings when simple textures would suffice.

There are certain areas we should focus on in terms of reducing detail-

Facade details - I never make raised glazing bars or floor by floor construction (except on certain key designs, and then only 1 in Sta Fee (Alpha Plaza)).

Round Columns - never, especially when a simple square profile will look the same from a distance.

But, we can add certain details, for example older buildings often have overhanging eaves/gutters/roof and this can help to create a more authentic older design. Buildings also have messy roofs, with aircon boxes, lift shaft housing etc. Small details which often help the realism without going overboard on the polygons.

Sorry I'm rambling on and being kinda negative, but it bugs me because I know at present this city just won't get off the ground in its present form.

UPDATE 3

please vote for your favorite city name!

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1140561

UPDATE 2
Quote:
Right this next map is important, everyone needs to follow this if this city is to retain a designed and coherent form.
It shows the height limits for various city blocks. Basically its self explanatory. In order to keep the map easier to read all blocks
with a height limit of 0-99m I have kept white. Basically that means most of the suburbs and the oldtown as well as pockets
in the city centre - I imagine these would be older historical buildings.

So for example say you pick a red block, well you can build a supertall, but the block does not have to be filled with
supertalls, it purely means a supertall would be permitted on that block.

Its worth noting that a good percentage of the white blocks will be low rise housing, although the white blocks still
permit a structure of up to 99m, so you can see its fairly flexible.

Indecently religious buildings are exempt from these guidelines so a +100m cathedral could be built in a white block.

Finally its worth noting the 'Oldtown Historical Conservation area'. This zone includes Oldtown Hill and the Univercity
district (immediately to the west of Oldtown). It means only historical buildings are allowed and we need to
decide on a style, period etc, for this.

Heres the map....

image hosted on flickr

-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

PROGRESS (UPDATED 04/AUGUST/2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman045 View Post
teh RenDeRs Iz hERe!

Well, after multiple weeks of rendering, they are finally finished.

BEFORE YOU LOOK! I have an important message. These renders are not FINAL! I am still currently testing different settings and programs to find what will look the best. These are also rushed, they do not have the top quality of renders that i can make. They are not photoshoped at all, the background image is not the best and editing can be better. Im just saying that these will not be what the final renders will look like.

Another note. The buildings that were recently submitted (last few weeks) will not appear in these renders. However they are on the final map and will appear in the next set of renders.

I think thats all of the important notes. I hope you all enjoy. Some renders are a little "messed up" but i hope you all will like them. You do not want to know how many late nights i was up to make these.

Enjoy!

Captions goes with the image below.

D4 - A5 Sections.

Down the beach.

High rise haven

Over the fair

High rise haven, Miami Style

Opera house lookout

Beautiful Boulevard

"high rise city"

Oprah house and some cool looking buildings.

Birds view

A6 - B7

The City walls. Keeping the new out and the old in.

Low rise beach

The Olympic campground

The magnificent 5, guarding skeletor's buildings from the coast line

Into the main land

Fun Fact! The millennium towers were build in the year 2000

"As you can see, skeletor's buildings are to your right and if you look to your left, you can see, WHAT! Is that a floating supermarket!"

" I think they need to lower the reflections on those buildings" Said the old town wall.

Airplane view

A8 - C10

Once again, keeping the old in.

Beautiful church on a hill.

Old town buildings are old

When did bricks become reflective?

Very nice modeling!

The attention to detail!

Pretty Castle

Space view

C6 -C8

Me like coast line

Very modern church next to a very modern skyscraper.

The Ericson, the observation deck and some other buildings are very nice looking.

Helicopter view.

The Floating sky city

Lots of buildings

"ooh, pretty spikes"

Central Park

View from the Observation Deck

The blue corncob building.

City hall

The better City Hall

D1 - G3

Campus Land

TV tower

TV tower and a construction site. Amazing

The Campus land has its own synagogue

Ahh! Its an eclipse!

Tall buildings. Too tall for an airport

The old airport terminal

Alien view

(old image) From the high way

(old image) From the other side of the Runway.

D6 - D8

SkyScraperCity

Tall buildings are tall

And this is where i got my free Aston Martin

More buildings

A old tower

Cool white tower

My home, inside the condo towers

The Mirrors edge land

Skydiver's view

Crowded Streets

There is a loner under the sky bridge.

More views from street level.

Looking up to the sky

More skyscrapers

I cant see the ground!

More condos

More Aston Martins

E4 - F5

The second observation tower

Expensive condos

Street level again

Lots o buildings

On the beach

The Olympic playground

ISS view

Modern buildings

(old image) More coast!

(old Image) Side image

Im on a boat

(old image) Beautiful ( the reflections are fixed)

E6 - F8

Its back!

Large canopy

More residential

Im on a boat again

Astronaut's view

Under a building

Post card

"Reach for the sky"

Sky bridge mall

Im on a boat, again

Im swimming

The xerox building

More churches

Another postcard

E9 - G9

The Best Coast line

The Courtyard

In the Shadows

I cant see the ground again! Is that a good thing?

The other side

Mega building land

Shaq's view

More coastline.

More high rises

Welcome

The Cannon hotel

More buildings

Shadow valley

Birds are flying (lol wut)

The king suite

Even more coas- you know what, how many more do i have to do?

LAST ONE! Finally

Thats it, all 108 renders. hope you like them or i will be sad

Last edited by Dubai Skyscraper; October 24th, 2010 at 12:11 PM.
Dubai Skyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Evrasia 99911
Наблюдатель

Likes (Received): 40151

good idea! create common projects?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:29 PM   #3
SD360

Likes (Received): 1

does this include 3ds max, Maya, and Autocad artists to?
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:53 PM   #4
Dubai Skyscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evrasia 99911 View Post

good idea! create common projects?
glad to hear that, so do you want to help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD360 View Post
does this include 3ds max, Maya, and Autocad artists to?
hmm...personally i use SketchUp only, never tryed 3ds max, etc.
but if some more guys use this, no problem.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:12 PM   #5
dochan
дочан

Likes (Received): 511

Quote:
Let's build our own SkyscraperCity!
I agree.. But how do we start?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:37 PM   #6
Dubai Skyscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochan View Post
I agree.. But how do we start?
first of all, we will wait and see how many guys want to be part of this project.

then, we need someone who can create a 'basic idea' for the city, that's the most important part for now..
unfortunately i am not so good in that
(that's one of the reasons why i am asking for help )
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:33 PM   #7
xdexina
Dex for friends

Likes (Received): 45

Nice!! usually i dont show up my work's here! but these could be an excelent ideia! i'll be part of that
xdexina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:35 PM   #8
JmB & Co.

Likes (Received): 462

I don't want to be pesimistic. But, I think that sketchup could not support such a heavy file . . .
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:50 PM   #9
szkieletor

Likes (Received): 0

I wanna join to this project !
JmB & Co. - I think 30 MB .skp file will be heavy... We can do this!!
szkieletor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #10
pingyao
Virtual Architect

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmB & Co. View Post
I don't want to be pesimistic. But, I think that sketchup could not support such a heavy file . . .
That was what i was gonna suggest! In the past these sort of ideas often don't get much further than the concept stage, but it would be cool to see a community city develop. I don't think i would have the time or the sketchup knowledge to help, but i'd gladly suggest city layouts/concepts etc.
pingyao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #11
cormiermax

Likes (Received): 46

I'm interested in helping
cormiermax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #12
szkieletor

I think Pingyao should make a City Map In my opinion he makes the best maps for 3d city
szkieletor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:16 AM   #13
xdexina
Dex for friends

Quote:
yep... that's true indeed... a single building designed by me could easily achieve 30mb files or even bigger.. depends on complexity
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:55 AM   #14
project_assistance

Likes (Received): 7

Max .skp file will be like 10MB or sth... It's possible when you take care about making lots of groups and components. But then we still need a very strong machine to run the animations comfortably.

I can offer some models. Infrastructure like footbridges, also some buildings etc...

Here is generally what I do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yrc3lv-JVs

You should visit my webpage: http://project-assistance.eu and check the portfolio.

I am opened for the co-operation with skilled people.

Last edited by project_assistance; May 4th, 2010 at 03:00 AM.
project_assistance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #15
Dubai Skyscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdexina View Post
Nice!! usually i dont show up my work's here! but these could be an excelent ideia! i'll be part of that
nice, and what can you do?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by szkieletor View Post
I wanna join to this project !
JmB & Co. - I think 30 MB .skp file will be heavy... We can do this!!
Quote:
yep... that's true indeed... a single building designed by me could easily achieve 30mb files or even bigger.. depends on complexity
well i think my pc can manage that in january, i created a skp file which was 100+ MB! actually i am working on 'Dubai World Tower', and the file size is 88,6 MB.
(my pc has Intel i7 920 processor, 6144 MB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260)

Quote:
Originally Posted by szkieletor View Post
I think Pingyao should make a City Map In my opinion he makes the best maps for 3d city
correct, he's the best!

Quote:
That was what i was gonna suggest! In the past these sort of ideas often don't get much further than the concept stage, but it would be cool to see a community city develop. I don't think i would have the time or the sketchup knowledge to help, but i'd gladly suggest city layouts/concepts etc.
ok, you are 'the man of the hour', and remember: no need to rush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
I'm interested in helping
glad to hear that, and what can you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by project_assistance View Post
Max .skp file will be like 10MB or sth... It's possible when you take care about making lots of groups and components. But then we still need a very strong machine to run the animations comfortably.

I can offer some models. Infrastructure like footbridges, also some buildings etc...

Here is generally what I do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yrc3lv-JVs

You should visit my webpage: http://project-assistance.eu and check the portfolio.

I am opened for the co-operation with skilled people.
hey, cool bridges, we will need them indeed!
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #16
cormiermax

Likes (Received): 46

Well I'm better at low rise than high rise, so how about civil buildings like city hall, the courts, Maybe a few mid rise condo projects. Maybe landmarks like an opera house.
cormiermax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #17
xdexina
Dex for friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai Skyscraper View Post
nice, and what can you do?
A bit of everything i guess ... since I have time to do it (university) everything except bridges!!! also can do buildings with Calatrava or gaudi design's
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #18
Dubai Skyscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
Well I'm better at low rise than high rise, so how about civil buildings like city hall, the courts, Maybe a few mid rise condo projects. Maybe landmarks like an opera house.
well, that's quite good! of corse we need low-rise developements for sparsely populated city areas city hall's and maybe opera house are also welcome

Quote:
A bit of everything i guess ... since I have time to do it (university) everything except bridges!!! also can do buildings with Calatrava or gaudi design's
everything sounds always good

--------

i never thought so much interest of you guys! thank you so much!
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:29 AM   #19
reconinator

OH man please invite me that will be awesome!

btw here r some of the stuff i made

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1052127
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1076975
reconinator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #20
Dubai Skyscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconinator View Post
OH man please invite me that will be awesome!

btw here r some of the stuff i made

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1052127
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1076975
i think we need every good designer, so why not? i like your designs, maybe a bit too colorful, but that's no problem
Advertisement