LOW-COST CARRIER TERMINAL & KLIA 2 - Page 177 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Pengangkutan

Pengangkutan aviation, automotive, rail and urban transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2014, 05:54 AM   #3521
Bourgandy
Bourgandy

Likes (Received): 688

Overall for those who have went there, can u tell us how was it like and can u give us a rating from 1-10 (1 is really bad). Also like, give us feedback from this kind of form;

Positive aspect of the terminal;

&

Improvements that can be made;

Cheers!
Bourgandy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #3522
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Likes (Received): 2616

Mumbai New Terminal Airport....very nice...

rizalhakim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 09:02 AM   #3523
SgWay

Likes (Received): 1052

Some of my pics that I posted in the international forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgWay View Post
Some of my pics

Around the check in area

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/IMG_5755.jpg

After the Domstic Departure Gate, down the escalator, then down the long and sloping ramp is more shopping area

There actually travellators along the gates.

View from a gate, I was waiting to board the runway tour bus

View of the aerobridge from the gate

This is the windowless lounge area that Sheik mentioned. Pretty annoying actually, the window areas were packed with photographers

SgWay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2014, 09:03 AM   #3524
SgWay

Pics from the bus tour

Quote:
Pics during the runway tour.It took about 20 minutes and a MAHB personnel provide infor about the KLIA2, the length of runway(4km) etc.

I took photos outside. I was lucky to have a telephoto lens which came in handy inside the cramped bus

You can feel massiveness of the terminal, the tour was really worth it

The buses can give an idea of the size of the terminals

I like the part of this terminal, very modern and sleek design

I we were entering the runway, so no view of KLIA2 for awhile

Then the full view of KLIA2 bridge looms as the bus turns, I was on the right side of the bus fortunately

Proper view of the ATC tower.

Again, my favourite section of the terminal

The ATC tower at maximum zoom

We disembarked and walk towards the bridge and walk across it towards the arrivals area

We were walking over the gates, the departure and arrivals traffic are separated by one level

A travellator and toilets to the right, didnt enter the toilets though.

A small lounge for pasengers to rest ot check their FB

Then its back to the long walk. I hope MAHb provide buggy rides for the elderly.

Entering the sky bridge

View from the sky bridge

A long escalator to the sky bridge as the arrivals walk on the top level.

On the skybridge on a travllator. The walking started to wear me off.

You have to walk tens of meters between the stretches of travellator

Going down the stairs/escalators/lifts to the baggage claim. There are ten carousels.

Immigration area.

Not really sure what this area is for, another lounge/rest area?

The carousels

Before the exit is a Tourism Malaysia booth

tansri, dengilo, weiaze, daniu79, ILM liked this post
Old April 28th, 2014, 09:03 AM   #3525
SgWay

Pics of the retail area at Lvl 1 and Lvl 2

Quote:
Pics of the retail area, lookeds like a normal suburban mall, so didnt take so much pics here

The ERL entrance

I think this is level 1, level 2 is more retail space, level 3 is the check in area. You can use elevator if u want to skip the shops.

Its weird to have this brand at KLIA2

Level 2

Some area with lots of seats

A member of MAHB management Dengilo always talk about?

Damage control?

Conclusion, well I guess it's ready, pray MAHB clean all the dusts, glass and the shoe prints on the white walls.

To me I give it 3/5 stars . Its an OK airport design wise but in terms of functionlity wise, it can rival many other 'international' terminals. Quite good for a LCC airport. Hopefuly it will make KLIA an important LCC hub as its is intended to be.

tansri, otaibesar84, samlee, ILM liked this post
Old April 28th, 2014, 09:31 AM   #3526
Vince
Vince

Likes (Received): 1270

Hahahaha! I like the MAHB management guy out walking tall and colourful.... Nice one SgWay. Dengilo, how come you haven't "like" yet?
Vince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 11:14 AM   #3527
World 2 World
The World @ My Fingertips

Likes (Received): 6276

by hzman89

Last edited by World 2 World; April 28th, 2014 at 11:27 AM.
World 2 World no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 11:47 AM   #3528
otaibesar84
Putrajaya

Likes (Received): 457

it is a good LCCT. that's it. even better and nicer than Suvarnabhumi (built material/quality). seriously. what i saw yesterday, there is no major flaws in design. just some silly and small faults which is ok. i'm impressed to see a locally designed huge airport like this to be as good as this. now malaysian architects can raise their head up.

material....flooring, they used terrazzo in-situ and vinyl/linoleum which is good enough. nice flooring work. asking for marble is such a waste of resource and sounds stupid for an LCCT. what more do you want?

but i hate certain things here. WHY DA HELL THEY ARE USING PLASTIC TREES!!!

anyway i give 4.5/5 for an LCCT. a very exciting and never get bored terminal. WiFi is quite fast

Bourgandy liked this post
otaibesar84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 11:58 AM   #3529
otaibesar84
Putrajaya

Likes (Received): 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by szehoong View Post

Meanwhile, I would like to share this picture of Singapore's Terminal 4 proposed interior which feature self-check-in terminals which is being implemented in Europe at the moment. Come 2017 when this terminal opens, it could be the first terminal which uses a fully-self-check-in procedure which I think that MAHB should be investing at KLIA2. But then again our labour here is cheap.......
it is not about 'cheap labour'. it is about what people prefer. what people wants. go to MTB, look at the self check in kiosk. no one using it. or maybe one or two people. human-to-human is still preferable approach. remember, human being is a social animal.
otaibesar84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #3530
choon

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by otaibesar84 View Post
it is a good LCCT. that's it. even better and nicer than Suvarnabhumi (built material/quality). seriously. what i saw yesterday, there is no major flaws in design. just some silly and small faults which is ok. i'm impressed to see a locally designed huge airport like this to be as good as this. now malaysian architects can raise their head up.

material....flooring, they used terrazzo in-situ and vinyl/linoleum which is good enough. nice flooring work. asking for marble is such a waste of resource and sounds stupid for an LCCT. what more do you want?

anyway i give 4.5/5 for an LCCT. a very exciting and never get bored terminal. WiFi is quite fast
how come your view is a contrast with other forumers?
choon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #3531
SgWay

I believe KLIA2 have many opportunities to improve.IMO, the simple design is pretty modular, meaning MAHB can upgrade and enhance the interiors and add features if they want in the future. We all should accept that MAHB did not build KLIA2 to rival Changi in an airport beauty contest but to took the opportumity to accommodate air travel growth that has caught regional airports by surprise which led to constraint, its a reason KLIA grew 19% last year as other airports just dont have enough slots to fulfill demand. AFAIC, KLIA2 terminal provides sufficiently comfortable amenities with sufficient capacity to accomodate future growth and enhance its status as a transit hub.

Right now the focus is to make the airport operational and allow the LCCs to settle in. The next several years will be good for KLIA as East Asian and ASEAN airports face capacity constraint and congested airspace. KLIA2 should be able to attract more airlines and passengers plus Air Asia is extensively expanding capacity on its current routes and provide twin city destinations via KLIA2 that will attract transit passengers, if im not mistaken 50% of Air Asia passengers are transit passengers last year. With MAS also increasing capacity and slashing fares its a good time for Malaysian to travel relatively cheap which is also attracting more transit traffic to KLIA.

I really hope more long haul LCC like Norwegian Air comes to KLIA2 as they are looking for another base after Bangkok. Air Asia X is also monitoring Norwegian experiment with its Bangkok route to relaunch its European destinations.

Last edited by SgWay; April 28th, 2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old April 28th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #3532
Bourgandy
Bourgandy

Likes (Received): 688

Quote:

Thanks for your feedback! I/m like far2 away from Msia, seeing from pictures and seeing real live is 2 different experience.

Cool, thanks for the insight explanation. HANG ON A SEC, what!? PLASTIC TREES!? That is unacceptable! Shows how lazy we are to maintain and care for the greens. No wonder Singapores Changi T3 and soon T4 will win significantly.
Bourgandy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #3533
sirlee_92

Likes (Received): 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourgandy View Post

Thanks for your feedback! I/m like far2 away from Msia, seeing from pictures and seeing real live is 2 different experience.

Cool, thanks for the insight explanation. HANG ON A SEC, what!? PLASTIC TREES!? That is unacceptable! Shows how lazy we are to maintain and care for the greens. No wonder Singapores Changi T3 and soon T4 will win significantly.
Plastic tree tuh bukan KLIA 2. Scroll up, tgk description gambar.
sirlee_92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #3534
XNeo

Likes (Received): 268

based on photos, I rated 10/10 for KLIA2 . the best low cost carrier terminal in the world
XNeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 03:05 PM   #3535
Azrain98
catlover

Likes (Received): 2694

sooooooo coooooooooooooooooL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 28th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #3536
TWK90
Infrastructure

Likes (Received): 5540

My opinion.

Pros

- Refreshing design
- More shops than even the MTB and Satellite, there is no shortage of cafes in both the terminal and Gateway
- Time taken to International Departure and Immigration a lot shorter than the MTB. Even the domestic departure looks easy to access
- More hotels for transit passengers, they are pretty close to each others. Tune Hotel just outside of the Gateway, capsule in Gateway and Sama Sama Express
- Seamless transport integration (especially to ERL) and they have integrated transport info board which also includes both the flight depatures and also bus departure

Cons

- Immigration queue set up is not good (one counter, Malaysian Passport, then the next Foreign Passports, then Malaysian Passport).......it may not ensure orderly queue. It is better to have one half for Malaysian Passport, then the other half is foreigner.

- Signage language option not that consistent. While most signage has the five-language options as in the rest of KLIA, some only bilingual.

Rating (considering purposes), 4 out of 5.

Improvements that can improve KLIA2

- Having automated self-check in plus baggage check-in machine

- A little more greenery

SgWay, naimabep, semsemyee liked this post
TWK90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 04:03 PM   #3537
SgWay

My version

Pros
-Modern external design
-Layout of the gates allow better view outside the terminal and plane movement
-Big open spaces and high ceilings
-Good retail area with lots of shops
-I find its easy to navigate when arriving, just go to the top level

Cons
- The Gateway design area is too bland and white and have no character..thank god for those 'mushrooms' which gave some character to the place . MAHB should add more color with hanging decorations.
-Some poor paint job is noticeable, hopefully the paint crew will iron out these before 2nd May.
-Poor workmanship, the X pillars between the travellators enter the ceiling unto very crude holes, these should be sealed ASAP . In the open area between the KLIA2 Gateway and the Lvl3 retail area, the top of the concrete pillars that hold the glass rood have poor finishing and not painted properly,very noticeable .
-The travellator on the skybridge is too short.
-In the long term a free transit system to KLIA1 is a must,KLIA1 and KLIA2 are one airport, passengers should not pay to get to the other, hopefully a skytrain/PRT Pod or aerotrain should be built to connect the two terminals and for free which should help passenger transit between the two terminals and access the retail area in KLIA2.

Score
7/10- KLIA2 has more work before getting a 10

semsemyee liked this post
Old April 28th, 2014, 05:53 PM   #3538
weiaze

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
We all should accept that MAHB did not build KLIA2 to rival Changi in an airport beauty contest but to took the opportumity to accommodate air travel growth that has caught regional airports by surprise which led to constraint, its a reason KLIA grew 19% last year as other airports just dont have enough slots to fulfill demand. AFAIC, KLIA2 terminal provides sufficiently comfortable amenities with sufficient capacity to accomodate future growth and enhance its status as a transit hub.
Size and capacity is definitely important.. but it isn't everything. Passenger enjoyment is also important and an airport's built environment will influence how passengers will rate an airport. Let's hope MAHB has a plan in place to make KLIA2 more attractive.

Also KLIA traffic may have grown faster but it still lags behind in terms of global coverage. It's even lost its connections to NY and LA. KLIA's regional rival airports like Changi and Bangkok have airlines like Swiss, BA, Qantas, United, Delta, ANA.
weiaze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 06:48 PM   #3539
SgWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiaze View Post
Size and capacity is definitely important.. but it isn't everything. Passenger enjoyment is also important and an airport's built environment will influence how passengers will rate an airport. Let's hope MAHB has a plan in place to make KLIA2 more attractive.

Also KLIA traffic may have grown faster but it still lags behind in terms of global coverage. It's even lost its connections to NY and LA. KLIA's regional rival airports like Changi and Bangkok have airlines like Swiss, BA, Qantas, United, Delta, ANA.
KLIA trump card will be Air Asia. You can read this interesting article by CAPA on Air Asia role that boosted KLIA passenger ridership, and surprisingly how the author even comment how Changi should learn from Air Asia.

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...-recipe-164610

It is stated that 50% of Air Asia passengers transited through KLIA to other desitinations, which is quite an achievement. No doubt that some of these passengers may be the long haul passengers from Changi or even Bangkok, hence KLIA has posiitoned itself to benefit from passenger growth at Changi and Bangkok as a long haul hub who may transit at KLIA2 to other regional and East Asian destinatins. Hence KLIA should promote itself as a LCC hub for regional travellers who are price conscious.

MAS may have dropped alot of destinations but its entry into one world group has compensated for that and provided a wide range of destinations to KLIA users too despite the connection flights. One world members like British are also comtemplating return to KLIA if the condition is right and the past few years we have attracted lufthansa, turkish and air france which is not bad. But true, destinations to Europe is limited, snd i hope MAS have a strategic partner that will make KLIA a base just like the Qantas-Emirates alliance which saw Qantas shifting its transit hub to Dubai, even proud SIA is partnering with Turkish Airlines, even the Singaporeans are on a hot seat.
Old April 28th, 2014, 11:12 PM   #3540
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1913

Quote:
it is not about 'cheap labour'. it is about what people prefer. what people wants. go to MTB, look at the self check in kiosk. no one using it. or maybe one or two people. human-to-human is still preferable approach. remember, human being is a social animal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK90 View Post

Improvements that can improve KLIA2

- Having automated self-check in plus baggage check-in machine

Otaibesar :

This is about efficiency and automation. Plus it is much faster. Checking in isn't a social event. Although this is better not to be done for Business & First Class travelers yet but I seriously think that it should be for all other classes but then there should be one or two check-in desk for unusual items that those machine can't handle. Plus it would save on labour issues.

There are many people using those automated check-in counters at both MTB and LCCT. The usual queue are for baggage drop which again manual handling of it is slowing things down. Should there be no self-check in counters, those queues would definitely be longer. AirAsia's baggage drop is very fast and efficient after we have checked in online and I've been doing it for years.

otaibesar84, atmapgnew liked this post
szehoong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement