Crown House Refurbishment | Middlesbrough | 6fl | U/C - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Teesside

Teesside For Middlesbrough, Stockton, N Yorks

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 01:40 AM   #1
lms

Likes (Received): 125

Crown House Refurbishment | Middlesbrough | 6fl | U/C

Looks like the crown house refurbishment is due to begin as the developer has now secured funding ,its been empty for a number of years and is in quite a prominent spot ,being over the road from the train station

Business News

by Mike Hughes, Evening Gazette

A LANDMARK building which has stood empty for a number of months is to be transformed into a hi-tech centre for enterprise and business development.

Crown House, near the railway station in Middlesbrough, was built in the 1960s and was previously used as Government offices.

Earlier this year, Teesside businessmen Nasser Din and Riaz Hameed took on the building and have now announced their plans to create a new hub for up and coming entrepreneurs.

Nasser’s company Supreme Property Developments is investing close to £3m to transform the building, with a further £750,000 of funding from Middlesbrough Council and £650,000 from One North East’s Single Programme pot, secured by Tees Valley Unlimited

Stephen Catchpole, managing director of TVU, said: “Crown House is one of the key pieces of Middlesbrough’s redevelopment jigsaw, so I’m pleased that after standing empty for so long it will now be transformed into premier business accommodation. SPD is showing real confidence and I’m sure that confidence will help draw out the town’s potential entrepreneurs of the future.”

Nasser Din, pictured, said: “I see this as a fantastic opportunity, not only to transform an eyesore of the town but to create premier retail, training and office accommodation. I want Crown House to be associated with enterprise - somewhere where entrepreneurs of Middlesbrough can be shown the tools of the trade to succeed, and where growing businesses can expand.

“This town has so much to offer and if I can do my bit to unlock some of its potential, I’ll be happy.”

Supreme Property Developments, set up by Mr Din after he switched from the clothing industry to property development, was also behind the creation of the Durham Tees Valley Business Centre at Primrose Hill Industrial Estate in Stockton.

Cllr Charlie Rooney, Middlesbrough Council’s executive member for economic development and regeneration, said: “To see the beginning of such a high quality redevelopment for Crown House is hugely positive for Middlesbrough.”

David Cramond, director of capital development at One North East, said: “This development will breathe much needed new life into Crown House and encourage a new wave of employment opportunities in Middlesbrough town centre.”

Sponsored Links
lms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2010, 07:12 PM   #2
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Likes (Received): 151

Is there any renders anyway, what this is going to look like externally?
bobalania no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #3
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2076

I echo the above request for more information, photos, renders?

I have searched the Middlesbrough Council 'Planning Applications' site, but I was not able to find it on there!

In the meantime, I have done the following . . .

(1) I have added the TAG, Project - Teesside Forum to the bottom of this thread, so that when you now click the TAG on this, or on any of our Project Threads (to call up the full list of all our projects) this one will now be included in that list of threads.

(2) I have also added brief details of this new project to the Teesside Development Summary thread, in the normal way. On there, it is Project Number 20.

Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 4th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #4
lms

The planning number is M/FP/1104/10/P and there are some renders of it on the MBC planning application site
Old December 4th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #5
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

From the Council Planning Website:

Crown House as it currently looks . .

Proposals . .

Existing and Proposed Site Plans . .

Auberon liked this post
Old December 4th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #6
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Thanks for posting that on here, i've just been and had a look too. Shame there isn't more renders. Looks decent, vast improvement over the exsisting site, and good to see that it will have some retail at ground level, making the building interact more at street level with the Town Centre. Interesting to see there using a similar colour scheme to BoHo.
Old December 4th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #7
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

I have now also inserted the new render and photo into the Development Summary.
Old December 4th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #8
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Great. Thanks a lot. I must say, that development summary is brilliant! And very useful too!
Old December 8th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #9
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

A hi-tech jewel in the crown
December 8th 2010, by Peter McCusker, The Journal

A historic building which has stood empty for a number of months is to be transformed into a hi-tech centre for enterprise and business development.

Crown House in Middlesbrough was built in the 1960s and was previously used as government offices.

After investment to redevelop the area around the building, Teesside businessmen Nasser Din and Riaz Hameed saw an opportunity to create a hub for up and coming entrepreneurs as well as more established expanding firms.

Their company, Supreme Property Developments, is investing close to £3m to completely transform the rundown building, with a further £750,000 of funding from Middlesbrough Council and £650,000 from One North East’s Single Programme pot, secured by Tees Valley Unlimited, supporting the project.

The conversion of Crown House will see retail and training facilities created on the ground floor, while the upper floors will be flexible office space with receptionist facilities.

Stephen Catchpole, managing director of Tees Valley Unlimited, said: “Crown House is one of the key pieces of Middlesbrough’s redevelopment jigsaw so I’m pleased that after standing empty for so long it will now be transformed into premier business accommodation.

“Supreme Property Developments is showing real confidence in the area and I’m sure that confidence will help draw out the town’s potential entrepreneurs of the future.” The work is being carried out by Weatherall Construction and Management which has been appointed as project manager for the scheme.

“It sends a clear signal that, despite the economic uncertainty, Middlesbrough is a desirable place for private sector investment.

“Once it is complete Crown House will also play a strategic role in linking the town centre and the Boho Zone. I would like to thank Mr Din for having confidence in Middlesbrough as a place to invest and do business.”

The redevelopment of Crown House, near Middlesbrough railway station, is expected to take 12 months.

Read More - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/commerci...1140-27784766/
Old February 24th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #10
lms

Looks like this one is starting now as loads of hoardings and fencing has gone up around the building and A66 underpass .
There is also a piece in tonights Gazette

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/te...4229-28222505/
Old February 25th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #11
lms

Some more info about the Crown House redevelopment from the Middlesbrough Council website

http://www.middlesbrough.gov.uk/ccm/...-and-square.en
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #12
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

The Teesside Development Summary has been updated ("Project 20") with extracts from the two recent UPDATES, from the last two posts.
Old May 9th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #13
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

^ Cheers for that.

Quote:
The refurbishment of Crown House will be complete by the end of the year and works to Zetland Square are due for completion in the summer.
I guess this should be well underway by now. Does anyone have any recent photos? You can't see any change from the A66 at the top of the building, but maybe work has begun at ground level?
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #14
Northern_J

Likes (Received): 0

From what I can see when travelling past on the train, the new pathways are being installed and also the tunnel under the railway is having work done with diggers working on both entrances.

This small area will look much better. In an ideal world the pub 'Last Orders' would be transformed into a coffee/snack bar, ideal location for those waiting for a train with it being only a 2 minute walk away.
Northern_J no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #15
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

The pub that is on the same square? I don't know it too well.

Thanks for the info. I should go and try and get some photos, i guess no work has started on Crown House itself yet though.....
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #16
lms

This one looks like it has started now,as half the windows have been taken out and inside looks like its being stripped out
Old June 24th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #17
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
This one looks like it has started now,as half the windows have been taken out and inside looks like its being stripped out

Thread Title suffix, plus details in 'Development Summary' (Project 20) amended to U/C.
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #18
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Trees in the square and paving seems all to be done, but still looks like a lot of prep. work on Crown House itself last time i went past. No change as of yet in the underpass (a66).
Old July 26th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #19
lms

I drove past this building today and they have started cladding the exterior,its going to be a vast improvement to what it looked like before
Old November 8th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #20
lms

Some pics I took the other day, This one is well underway now,and its a vast improvement to what the building looked like.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Auberon liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
project - teesside forum