PENANG TIMES SQUARE | Penang ( Georgetown ) | Completed (2008) - Page 86 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Skyscrapers & Buildings

Skyscrapers & Buildings refurbishments and completed skyscrapers and high-rise buildings

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 24th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #1701
supremecouncillor

Likes (Received): 0

Penang need

i: theme park - an alternative for not so attractive anymore Batu Feringghi
ii: zoo - an alternative for boring botanical garden
iii: science centre - an alternative for pathetic pale museums
iv: amazing architectures - to balance the sick old heritage buildings
v: new tourism products - rather than food,food,food...
supremecouncillor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2010, 05:52 AM   #1702
victorlau
BANNED

dinoleon / kubundu,

Ivory never learn their mistake. PTS phase look like white elephant, now want to build another mall.
Like asking "ketam berjalan".
They cannot even get more tenants for phase 1, what make them think, they can build more malls.
I heard 1st Avenue doing good even before launching.
PTS launch almost 3 years also like ghost mall.
Aiiyoo, i think they still dreaming.
victorlau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #1703
daeng_jal

Likes (Received): 1920

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremecouncillor View Post
Penang need

mostly need INTEGRATED RESORT
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #1704
PenangiteInSingapore

To all my fellow forumers, if we believe Feng Shui does exist in this world or even in the universe, Kompleks Tun Abdul Razak (namely KOMTAR) Tower is one of the main reasons Penang Times Square is still mostly vacant today.

I shall provide you some facts about George Town.
When KOMTAR tower was under construction, in 1980, the population of George Town was 450,000.
After it was fully built; in 1990, the population declined to 370,000.
In 2000, it further declined to 290,000.
Today, it is around 200,000 people residing in George Town.

Why? KOMTAR is giving out negative energies to the residents around it. People who are heavily influenced by this energy do not find them successful in George Town. They soon slowly moved away from the once bustling city, and mostly migrated to other part of the world which they find successful rate higher.

In context of Feng Shui, a high, lonely and solely building tower in a city is a definite feng shui destroyer. It causes the people staying near it ended up lonely. It causes disruption and stagnation to the city's economy activity. Let's see some similar stories in other cities as well, just to list a few,

1. When Empire State Building was almost completely built in New York in 1930s, the United States fell into a great economic depression.

2. The Sears Tower, Chicago built in 1974 causes the United States another economic recession.

3. The Petronas Twin Towers built in 1998 brought Malaysia a great economic crisis. From that moment onward, as long as Petronas Tower still looks as a lonely high structure in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysian Government has the hard way to end budget deficit.

4. When Taipei 101 constructed in 2003, Taiwan's economy suffered a severe blow from the global financial tsunami. Until today, it is not yet recovered.

5. Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest building causes Dubai a debt crisis.

All these supertalls appeared to be a lonely high structure in their cities when they were built. They did not bring good economy progress to them. However, when there is time of other similar height buildings built in the city, the problem would eventually diminished.

There was a report by an economist on the effect of constructing high standalone structure in a city. But, he got no way to know the reason behind it.

If Penang would like to progress and become a great global city, build more skyscrapers in George Town. Cure the problem caused by KOMTAR.
Old September 25th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #1705
Victor18
For Malaysia!!

Location: Kuala Lumpur, London, Gothenburg, Lisbon, Rabat, Tokyo, Singapore, Bangkok
Likes (Received): 32

Good facts there, but some cities do need them as a main landmark, but after reading this i do find it true though, not really believing in feng shui but its interesting.

Vision 2020: The Malaysian Skyscraper Forum
Victor18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 04:27 PM   #1706
Venycal

Likes (Received): 38

That's an interesting observation....
Venycal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #1707
daeng_jal

Likes (Received): 1920

i believe it more because of man ego's and the flow the economy..its never static..there is always either ressesion and inflation

so what do people build at the height of economic progress?

thats right,they build mega towers..thinking the sky the limit..however at that point the economic reach it peak and cannot sustainable itself and recession occurred

that why u see mega towers being build just before the economic meltdown, but then the economy will pick up again..and nearing it peak,more mega towers, then ressesion again...

the towers di9dn't not create "bad luck"..it just that we human can only afford it nearing our climak,at our peak...then the bubble burst and gravity and reality took hold and what goes up must come down...

so i dont think building another highrise in GT will cure the preblem, i think it will create more sickness when GT is thrown out of the UNESCO heritage list..

ohh and the empire state building did not build before the great depression, it was build during the great depression..the great depression also created the hovver damn and a lot of other major public infrastructure in the U.S to artificially pump up the economy..just like singapore and hong kong goverment had announced billion in public infrastructure to soften the recession impact...

just my RM1.35cent
Old September 25th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #1708
supremecouncillor

Offer something new, sure people will come to PTS. But if you offer them the same chowrasta market shirt or nearby hypermarket goods, for sure nobody will put PTS in their "10 malls you must go before you die"..
Old September 26th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #1709
gboypg

Komtar walk is not doing well too. Only half occupied. Heard that Pacific Komtar is not doing well too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangiteInSingapore View Post
To all my fellow forumers, if we believe Feng Shui does exist in this world or even in the universe, Kompleks Tun Abdul Razak (namely KOMTAR) Tower is one of the main reasons Penang Times Square is still mostly vacant today.

I shall provide you some facts about George Town.
When KOMTAR tower was under construction, in 1980, the population of George Town was 450,000.
After it was fully built; in 1990, the population declined to 370,000.
In 2000, it further declined to 290,000.
Today, it is around 200,000 people residing in George Town.

Why? KOMTAR is giving out negative energies to the residents around it. People who are heavily influenced by this energy do not find them successful in George Town. They soon slowly moved away from the once bustling city, and mostly migrated to other part of the world which they find successful rate higher.

In context of Feng Shui, a high, lonely and solely building tower in a city is a definite feng shui destroyer. It causes the people staying near it ended up lonely. It causes disruption and stagnation to the city's economy activity. Let's see some similar stories in other cities as well, just to list a few,

1. When Empire State Building was almost completely built in New York in 1930s, the United States fell into a great economic depression.

2. The Sears Tower, Chicago built in 1974 causes the United States another economic recession.

3. The Petronas Twin Towers built in 1998 brought Malaysia a great economic crisis. From that moment onward, as long as Petronas Tower still looks as a lonely high structure in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysian Government has the hard way to end budget deficit.

4. When Taipei 101 constructed in 2003, Taiwan's economy suffered a severe blow from the global financial tsunami. Until today, it is not yet recovered.

5. Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest building causes Dubai a debt crisis.

All these supertalls appeared to be a lonely high structure in their cities when they were built. They did not bring good economy progress to them. However, when there is time of other similar height buildings built in the city, the problem would eventually diminished.

There was a report by an economist on the effect of constructing high standalone structure in a city. But, he got no way to know the reason behind it.

If Penang would like to progress and become a great global city, build more skyscrapers in George Town. Cure the problem caused by KOMTAR.
gboypg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #1710
gboypg

Food Mall is starting .....

Just come back from PTS. Saw that the certain part of Level 1 have been closed (near Phase 2, On top of Soju). Renovation has started. It will be a food court.
Old September 26th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #1711
gboypg

Hair Impression Salon

Saw the Hair Impression's renovation. It is not just a small hair salon. It is big. It started from next to De Legend to J&C's next door (old shop). It is on top of the food court. I heard that their hair training school will be moved there too. Hair Impression is quite famous in Penang. You will see a lot of the Hair Impression's students there in November.
Old September 26th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #1712
proud_penangite
I'm sexy and I know it

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gboypg View Post
Just come back from PTS. Saw that the certain part of Level 1 have been closed (near Phase 2, On top of Soju). Renovation has started. It will be a food court.
is it big?
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #1713
buildship
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gboypg View Post
Saw the Hair Impression's renovation. It is not just a small hair salon. It is big. It started from next to De Legend to J&C's next door (old shop). It is on top of the food court. I heard that their hair training school will be moved there too. Hair Impression is quite famous in Penang. You will see a lot of the Hair Impression's students there in November.
i think hair saloon or hair academy are too much in penang as well...

or are they going to shift from somewhere else? if yes, it just close shop from somewhere and re-open at PTS....
buildship no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #1714
victorlau
BANNED

gboypg,

gboypg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could someone take a pic inside and post here?
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #1715
victorlau
BANNED

PTS, after more than 3 years opening until today, still same...
the management ivory dun know what they doing and they planning to open another mall in Tg Tokong ...WHAT A JOKE.!
I think the directors in ivory are everyday "ta fei kie"
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #1716
hongks

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremecouncillor View Post
Penang need

theme park? Penang too small for one.
zoo? poor animal, pls no more zoo.
science centre - good idea, but museums is more meaningful than science centre
"sick old" heritage buidings????? my god! this is a lousy comment!
new tourism products - yes, we should always seeking for new ones
hongks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #1717
dh maju dh

Likes (Received): 18

put cosmo world like berjaya times square into PTS....
mesti ramai...
dh maju dh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #1718
supremecouncillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongks View Post
theme park? Penang too small for one.
zoo? poor animal, pls no more zoo.
science centre - good idea, but museums is more meaningful than science centre
"sick old" heritage buidings????? my god! this is a lousy comment!
new tourism products - yes, we should always seeking for new ones
Actually we are talking about the whole Penang State here (not just the island) ..so for me a theme park is pretty logical..
may be y're right..no more zoo.. so i suggest another national historical or prehistoric museum where we can have real size replicas of t.rex, supercroc, titanoboa or whatever dinosaur we can slot inside it..Well, a new science centre that i mentioned is not to replace the existing museums..just another additional attraction...ok-ok...i rephrase it..amazing architecture to complement with the existing good old heritage buildings hahaha...
Old September 27th, 2010, 05:07 AM   #1719
gboypg

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildship View Post
i think hair saloon or hair academy are too much in penang as well...

or are they going to shift from somewhere else? if yes, it just close shop from somewhere and re-open at PTS....
Yes, heard that they are moving out from Komtar.
Old September 27th, 2010, 05:24 AM   #1720
gboypg

Quote:
Originally Posted by proud_penangite View Post
stop building malls in Penang! seriously?
That's true. Penang is not moving fast enough like before but the number of shopping malls are increasing too fast. Penang cannot catch up.

By the way, there is another shopping mall at the Tanjong Bungah by E&O soon.

Like people said penang people don't have the purchasing power anymore. After the recession, I guess most of us become very careful with our money. Although some will still spend but still not good enough.

More investments should be brought in to increase the economy's activities here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement