San José Development News - Page 111 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Bay Area » projects and proposals | transportation and infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 3rd, 2013, 06:37 PM   #2201
pesto

Likes (Received): 4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo View Post
I completely disagree on the parking issue. Restaurants are always packed and patrons always seem to find parking. Difficult, yes, but more people should walk or take public transit anyway. Once downtown proper fills those new condos, carless patrons should be no issue.
I don't like the "should". I would prefer to say "an area with growth potential supplies multiple transit options". Not enough people choose VTA to support a thriving business area and Jtown is not dense enough to supply enough walkers.

Look, by contrast, at Santana Row, Mt. View, Sunnyvale or LG, where transit supplies an immaterial percentage of users and enormous amounts of parking.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2013, 01:00 AM   #2202
Xynoplas

Likes (Received): 138

Nijiya and/or Santo are no comparison to Mitsuwa. Mitsuwa has (I'll wager) 10 times the retail space as the others, and is more of a department store.

I'm with you, pesto. Take away Santana Row's parking structures and people will indeed "walk" - and they won't come back.
Old November 5th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #2203
Xynoplas

Recent article about ambitious restaurant restoration in Japantown:
http://jtownsj.wordpress.com/2013/11...local-history/

krudmonk, hugostiglitz liked this post
Xynoplas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #2204
hugostiglitz

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by espressophile View Post
But I always thought that Satura Cakes (they have a primary location in Los Altos, not sure if the Palo Alto store still exists) would have been a good fit. Or Beard Papa's.
Satura Cakes has only one existing location right now which is in Los Altos. All other stores have been closed and the company changed hands in 2010.
hugostiglitz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #2205
arturo
Downtown San Jose

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynoplas View Post

I'm with you, pesto. Take away Santana Row's parking structures and people will indeed "walk" - and they won't come back.
That's only because SR is "fake." My point is that Japantown is packed despite limited parking.

jbush81 liked this post
arturo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #2206
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...area-snow-park
krudmonk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #2207
robertee

Likes (Received): 1553

Architectural Review Committee meeting for the Peery-Arrillaga project on N 1st. is on Nov. 14. I took a look at the latest plans and the looks like the buildings will be about 120ft tall.
robertee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #2208
surrill

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertee View Post
Architectural Review Committee meeting for the Peery-Arrillaga project on N 1st. is on Nov. 14. I took a look at the latest plans and the looks like the buildings will be about 120ft tall.
I'm really excited about this project. I'm dying to find out who will occupy it.
surrill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #2209
Xynoplas

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo View Post
That's only because SR is "fake." My point is that Japantown is packed despite limited parking.
And what is Mountain View's Castro Street? You omitted that example.
Japantown is "packed" because it has limited parking.
Old November 7th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #2210
robertee

Quote:
Can SF's loss be San Jose's development gain? Councilmember hopes so

Don't ever say that San Jose councilman (and mayoral hopeful) Sam Liccardo is one to miss an opportunity.

The city's downtown representative, seeing an opening a day after voters in San Francisco rejected a luxury waterfront condo project, issued a press release with a simple pitch to developers: We might not have a waterfront, but we've got the space.

"With San Francisco beginning to limit, and even reject, new projects we need to spread the word that there is still room to grow in San Jose," Liccardo said in the press release.

Liccardo, of course, is referring to Tuesday's stinging defeat for the developers of 8 Washington, a 134-unit condo project along the Embarcadero. Propositions B and C would have allowed development to continue with the project, which was approved in June 2012.

But San Francisco voters bought opponents' arguments that the project was too tall and would lead to too much density along the already traffic-clogged corridor.

Liccardo has been trumpeting the development of two apartment towers in downtown San Jose that are currently under construction and pushing to make the development process smoother and cheaper to encourage more.

Liccardo seems to be betting that if a wave of anti-development fervor sweeps San Francisco, San Jose could be poised to get some of those investor dollars. (After all, it's not like this isn't the largest city in Northern California.)

Let's just hope there that prospect doesn't come with the Embarcadero's pull-your-hair-out traffic.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/n...-sjs-gain.html

Last edited by robertee; November 7th, 2013 at 02:44 AM.
Old November 7th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #2211
Xynoplas

Sam's pretty sharp.
I think that we will start to grab more of SF's thunder as time goes on.
What do you say to "SJ Bay"?
Old November 7th, 2013, 03:13 AM   #2212
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

I don't like chasing scraps, but his message should be heard without the context of 8 Washington. If developers wants to put money into those types of projects (sans the bay view), the wheels should be greased here.
krudmonk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 06:51 AM   #2213
jarkatmu

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrill View Post
I'm really excited about this project. I'm dying to find out who will occupy it.
How depressing. They're going to the expense to provide under parking yet they still have surface parking between the street and the buildings, not to mention building floor plates that reject the geometry of the streets. What happened to the more urban form the city was trying to promote for North First?
jarkatmu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #2214
surrill

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarkatmu View Post
How depressing. They're going to the expense to provide under parking yet they still have surface parking between the street and the buildings, not to mention building floor plates that reject the geometry of the streets. What happened to the more urban form the city was trying to promote for North First?
Nice try. Go troll somewhere else.
surrill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #2215
Lee Ho Fook

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrill View Post

And another project on North 1st street?

3. PUBLIC HEARING

a. PD13-007. Planned Development Permit to allow construction of two R&D/Office
buildings (6-story, 250,330 sf and 6-story, 188,275 sf), one 2-story, 11,842 sf amenity
building, and surface parking on a 22.86 acre portion of a 43 acre site in the IP(PD)
Planned Development Zoning District, located on both sides of Component Drive between
North First Street and Orchard Pkwy (Campus @ North 1st LP, Owner). Council District
4. CEQA: Addendum to BEA and North San José EIRs. Project Manager, John Baty
Staff Recommendation: Consider the Addendum to BEA and North San José
EIRs in accordance with CEQA. Approve a Planned Development Permit to allow
construction of two R&D/Office buildings (6-story, 250,330 sf and 6-story, 188,275
sf), one 2-story, 11,842 sf amenity building, and surface parking on a 22.86 acre
portion of a 43 acre site in the IP(PD) Planned Development Zoning District.
Lee Ho Fook no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #2216
Xynoplas

Quote:
Looks like there's quite a bit of activity in Little Italy....
Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I'm noticing how many Italian-Americans are active in San Jose politics at this time. So it's not surprising that this would get some attention.
Old November 7th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #2217
Xynoplas

Quote:
That's a good chunk of space, 10 Almaden is a nice building. Legacy needs to do something to get similiar companies into Riverpark II, it accounts for a huge portion of our vacant Class-A space...
Couldn't save it:
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/n...erpark-ii.html
Quote:
The owner of the Riverpark II office tower in downtown San Jose has defaulted on a $44.1 million loan balance, after four years of carrying the high-profile property without a tenant.
What happened here? Is this going to provide a signal for developers to ease up?
Old November 7th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #2218
bobby_guz_man

Likes (Received): 663

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarkatmu View Post
Urban form are already there at some part of North First, but we have to remember that North First (or N1) should be, first and foremost, a "job/commercial/industry" zone. We should do our very best to attract jobs to this particular area, as it is an area ringed with many public transit options as well as freeway access.

I don't see a sprawling parking zone around these buildings, so I don't see what the issue is? For such a huge project, I am pleasantly surprised that the parking zones did not overwhelm the campus.

And North 1st is a very LONG street. We're talking 15 minutes of driving along North 1st here. There will be some parts that will urbanize and some that will be designed for commercial/office usage. No problem with that.
bobby_guz_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #2219
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 54031

Tazman Drive

image hosted on flickr

San Jose - Tazman Drive by urbanists, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

San Jose - Tazman Drive by urbanists, on Flickr

robertee liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #2220
robertee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Ho Fook View Post
And another project on North 1st street?

3. PUBLIC HEARING

a. PD13-007. Planned Development Permit to allow construction of two R&D/Office
buildings (6-story, 250,330 sf and 6-story, 188,275 sf), one 2-story, 11,842 sf amenity
building, and surface parking on a 22.86 acre portion of a 43 acre site in the IP(PD)
Planned Development Zoning District, located on both sides of Component Drive between
North First Street and Orchard Pkwy (Campus @ North 1st LP, Owner). Council District
4. CEQA: Addendum to BEA and North San José EIRs. Project Manager, John Baty
Staff Recommendation: Consider the Addendum to BEA and North San José
EIRs in accordance with CEQA. Approve a Planned Development Permit to allow
construction of two R&D/Office buildings (6-story, 250,330 sf and 6-story, 188,275
sf), one 2-story, 11,842 sf amenity building, and surface parking on a 22.86 acre
portion of a 43 acre site in the IP(PD) Planned Development Zoning District.
This looks like it's for Phase 1 of the N1 Campus project.

Quote:
Google airport in San Jose to break ground in January

Signature Flight Support expects to break ground in January on a new, $82 million jet center at Mineta San Jose International Airport that will play home to Google's air force.

Signature, which has already subleased the majority of the project to a company that operates the private aircraft of Google executives called Blue City Holdings, will begin "round two" of the selection process this week to choose a general contractor for the massive project, said President and COO Maria Sastre.

The location is slated to include 270,000 square feet of hangar space on 29 acres. That would make it the largest so-called fixed base operator facility built in a single phase in the last 30 years.

Several items of business remain before the project, first announced in February, can get going. Chief among them: Approval of the terms and conditions of a master ground lease between the city, which owns the land, and Signature. The city council must approve the final terms. Sastre said she expected that to be complete next month.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/n....html?page=all

Last edited by robertee; November 7th, 2013 at 11:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
san josé